The time has come to kiss godbye to windows and fully embrace linacks

The time has come to kiss godbye to windows and fully embrace linacks.

My question for you is: as a total linux noob, am I better off installing fedora or mint?

I was about to install mint but then i took a look at fedora and seems nice too.

I want to use it primarly for coding (not heavy stuff, mostly science / engineering related, such as small FEM or other PDE solving methods).

Wouldn't mind to eventually go deeper in my knowledge of linux.

What I don't want is a gentoo / arch that will take me 50 hours to properly configure.

love both gnome 3 on fedora is comfy af tho

LFS

go fedora, lm is shit

Fedora is cool, been using it for 6 years, can't complain
GNOME is a bit shitty, but you can just install the KDE/MATE/LXDE/whatever version

Mint is known for holding back updates because >muh stability, so if' you're worried about security, Ubanto will be better than Mint.

As an absolute beginner, mint. Only because fedora doesn't put proprietary stuff on their repositories, so if you want to use your Broadcomm WLAN card or open.rar, you'll need to add rpm-fusion. Fedora is better though.

mint
unless you get off on reinstalling your OS evey 6 months

I switched from Windows 8.1 to Fedora within the last 6 months. Looked at Mint at first but it seemed like old packages and security breaches were an issue with that distro, so I went with Fedora instead.

It only took me about a day to experiment, configure and settle on what software I wanted to use with the system. There was nothing difficult about it. However I do have to keep a Windows 7 VM around to run work-related software as there aren't always perfect alternatives and WINE seems to be hit or miss.

One thing to remember about Fedora is that it constantly has new releases and older releases are only supported for about a year. I did the 23 -> 24 upgrade last month by doing a fresh install and was 100% up and running in several hours. I don't know how good the inplace upgrade is and didn't want to risk it. If you think that's going to be a problem you should look at distros with longer term support.

What are you talking about?

Just install Manjaro.
Mint is botnet and Fedora is slow (at least on my PC, it took 1,3 minutes to boot) and when you get used to it, migrate to Arch (or conver Manjaro to Arch).

Don't think he knows about DNF/fedup

care to put your specs?

arch is known for being ultra-lightweight so maybe the problem isn't with fedora but with your rig.

Intel Celeron 1,1GHz
Intel HD Graphics
4GB DDR3
Arch, Manjaro, Debian, Ubuntu, Kali and elementary worked perfectly though.
And dnf was slow as fuck, I prefer pacman.

I know my rig sucks as it's craptop but Windows worked better than Fedora for some reason.

Neither.
Solus has no competition as far as desktop usage is concerned.

definitly mint
>cinnamon if you want stylish yet trad, desktop
>xfce if want to rice and modify
>mate if you just want something that works

fedora is not bad by any means, but mint is based on debian/ubuntu which is more widespread.

Don't go with Mint.

A better choice would be Ubuntu or Fedora.
Personally I prefer Fedora. My (grand)parents use Ubuntu because it has LTS. Both are great options.

>lm
It always gives me a smile.

If you want a easy ootb experience, mint.

I've used both, but currently use fedora. If you want a much better, but slightly less handheld experience, go for fedora. I have tried the gnome, xfce, and kde spins, and have settled on the kde spin. With configuring, the kde spin is by far the best user experience. If you do not want to touch anything and have it be usable, gnome for sure, because fedora is just meant for gnome.

Good luck my friendo.

Give Elementary Os a try

mint.

Fedora.

It is extra comfy with Gnome 3, i think...

Mint is total shit in my opinion, especially with cinnamon

I really need to ask why the fuck would you install Kali in a 1,1GHz computer. The point of it isn't attacking stuff?

I often wonder what the point of Mint is when it's literally just Ubuntu with the Cinnamon DE and you can just have Ubuntu and install the Cinnamon DE yourself.

Mint with Cinnamon will feel the most natural.

I would only recommend Fedora if your job has you working with red hat.

What's the point of having Unbuntu and installing Cinnamon when you can just install Mint instead?

>dropping windows
>in favor of either mint or fedora
>one is basically rebranded ubuntu
>another has a 25% chance of breaking when updating because muh RHEL testing grounds

Just pick a flavor of Ubuntu that most appeals to you instead of going for the Sup Forums maymays

Mint literally offers nothing over Ubuntu

Fedora's only selling point is RPMFusion, there's nothing else it has to offer, don't listen to all the m'lady distro hipsters trying to become the archfags of 2016

Fedora is more bleeding edge. But Red Hat is more freetard than Ubuntu or Linux Mint.
I recommend Ubuntu for noob because it's more bleeding edge than Mint.

I've been running Fedora on my thinkpad for 4 years now without a single problem. It is the greatest distro of all.

I'm in the same boat as OP but I'm doing it on a laptop.

Ubuntu and Mint seem like the same thing but I guess Ubuntu is better for complete newbies.

"Inplace" upgrade is quite good now. You can alos upgrade graphically now via Gnome Software.

Lemme give you short over-generalized descriptions of both of these distros:

Linux Mint is based on Ubuntu, which is based on the "Unstable" branch of Debian (which is one of the eldest and most stable distros). I don't know about you, but I don't like all the layers of development and shit on top of an already "unstable" base. Also the Mint devs seem kind of shitty and incompetent in the long run.

Fedora is the upstream (newer packages, basically a testing ground) for RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) supported by the community and Red Hat, so it has a lot of professional support and users.

IMO you should decide between Debian (testing/sid for newer packages), Ubuntu, or Fedora. I really don't think Debian is any harder to install/use when you use non-free parts and simply read the wiki.

Install gentoo

Go with fedora.

Mind is a shitty debian and debian is kinda shitty as well.

Anything else is just trying to overcomplicate stuff. Unless you're a neet and want to play with your OS for ages, go with fedora and call it a day.

If you're use to Windows, then I highly recommend Mint for now until you understand how Linux works. Fedora is a step in a different direction because of the GUI and how shit works

fedora is literally shit

Neither. Either install ubuntu (yes, unity flavour - unity is actually very good, as they took quite a few good bits from OSX) or go for arch based "real" distro like Antergos. The former is better choice tho.

How is mint botnet?

It's not. user confused Ubuntu and its shit Amazon ads with Mint's clean OS.

They disabled online searching by default in the current version, Amazon is still installed tho.

xubuntu nigga

I went with ubuntu mate, my only complain is it doesn't recognize super key

thanks for all the replies, I think I'll go with fedora.

Main reason being it's noob friendly but also push you in the linux direction more than mint / ubuntu which basically try to replace windows.

Already knew antergos, I plan switching to arch in the future, but I want to do it from scratch (maybe on a laptop first).

special prize for the mandatory meme reply. "Special" as in "you're fucking retarded".

Nice, I always liked kde more than gnome or xfce (from what i have seen). In fact, my main reason to go for mint was cinnamon (which is closer to kde than others).

both seem super nice but they only add more options to an already contested dilemma. So both discarded for that reason, and only that reason.

Mint is pretty much the worst distribution you can install that isn't literally built on memes.

Fedora is a great distribution if you like using the latest software.

Mint with Cinnamon is my current comfy home.
I mostly write software, listen to music, browse the web.

what is "the linux direction?"

is it manually writing config files?

*buntus are great, not just for beginners. The idea that you have to slowly progress to more complicated distributions is ridiculous

>Install fedora
>Have to reboot after a security update

alright guys. tell me which one to pick. i give ZERO fucks about "proprietarian" or all the other memes. i just want a stable OS that my shitty laptop can run smoothly. BIG advantage to the one that needs less RAM

>ubuntu
>mint
both of them are gonna take huge shits on your RAM imo

No, browsers like Google Chrome and bloated websites that include 50 JS files and 10 webfonts just to display a textual article are what really take "huge shits" on your RAM. The complaint of "heavyweight desktop environments" and such was valid back when an expensive computer had only 2GB of RAM. If you have more 4GB of RAM, you're fine with pretty much anything these days. The modern web is a much bigger threat to your RAM than a DE ever will be.

Honestly if you're coming from Windows, Cinnamon will feel more comfortable at first. If you were coming from OS X I would say try Elementary OS. Ubuntu's desktop environment isn't bad, but it is different and takes some adjusting to if you expect a Windows-like experience.

I like mint, it just werks

enjoy no games faggot

Faggot? You are mistaken. The hardcore gaymen board is that way:

Not an argument

Where did this not an argument meme come from

Mint's default DE configurations alone make it better than Ubuntu. If your goal is just to use an easy distro there's no point in spending tons of time messing around after installation.

You're right. It's not an argument.
Because I'm not arguing.
I'm telling you where to go.

Not an argument.

>Arguing on the Internet
>on Sup Forums
Holy summer batman

Both are extremely awful, bloated and outdated mess of an OS. Nothing good ever came out from these projects.
Solus is just as easy and stable and yet it's rolling and optimized. Why would anybody use an OS that is deprecated after 6 months?

Budgie > cinnamon on all levels. No contest.

i have 2 gb of RAM in one laptop, and 3gb on the other. i think i will take ubuntu on the first and mint on the second

stop resonding to the no games faggots please. I'm begging you Sup Forums. I'm on my knees and sucking cock for you to stop feeding these retards.

Anyways OP, I'll answer your question. I would shy away from fedora as a "first time distro." Support of it is just weird, especially with the way nonfree software is treated. Unless you have a hardon for freedoms, but then you might as well just go debian.

So between the two, Mint is better. But I would suggest you look into xubuntu and/or ubuntu MATE. Mint is kind of boring and doesn't leave you a lot of room to customize your experience. So while it may look GREAT out of the box, you'll find you can tweak a lot more in something like xfce

just my two cents.

>Why would anybody use an OS that is deprecated after 6 months?
I enjoy the stability.
Moreover, I'm lazy, and since I deploy all my work to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS servers, so it's easier to have a development environment whose kernel version and packages are exactly what the production environment is. No need for VMs, Docker, or any of that shit.

I can count on one hand the number of times I said "Oh my god I really need the latest version of X desktop package RIGHT NOW." And every time that did happen, I was able to use apt-pinning to get what I needed.

Budgie is nice, but let's not kid ourselves pretending it's in a better state compared to MATE, xfce, or a few others.

And besides
>Solus

I'd rather go arch if I was worried about 'depreciation' (which is hardly a fair statement in the first place.)

You're right. It's not an argument.
Because I'm not arguing.
I'm telling you where to go.

Fedora.

It was the last distrohop I did back in F19.

I know people use Gentoo as a meme but it has by far the most solid package repo in that it's the most seamless for "the version of this package is too old I need to source checkout the latest and build" and all your dev libraries are guaranteed to work and build

Solus is too new, so it doesn't have enough packages or enough support for problems.

Mint

I use Fedora and I love that I can go from a minimal ~200 meg install to a working desktop in the course of 2 hours.

But if you want to install something and have it work out of the box with no fuckery and leave a nice Linuxy taste in your mouth Mint is probably a nicer option. Fedora's got issues that need RPMFusion's repos and some time in google to resolve, like font rendering, mp3 playback, and video drivers.

Install Gentoo

You are saying that for the same board which have people on widows sp1 with no updates. I don't think it's effective

Mint is just nice

I was 5th grade back then. h4x0Rs and shit.

Don't listen to these faggots OP. Just install Arch it's the best lightweight distro out there and not hard to install.

Manjaro is for the begginers.
What's the point of installing Arch if you don't understand all the steps?

Install Xubuntu.

Kali has only been released for a year.
Underage b&.

mint. it's easy, and just works.

Congratulations on choosing a Man's OS.

Just don't choose a distro because people tell you, "It's the best for beginners".
Most modern distros are easy to get into as long as you're not a tech illiterate.
Pick what's more appealing to you. "It takes you 1 hour less to get familiar with the basic functions" really shouldn't be the basis of decisionmaking.

This.

Especially for people recommending Mint. Fuck Mint, the shittiest meme distro to ever exist.

Not an argument.

I was/am a total Linux boon some weeks ago and tried a lot of distros and DEs and I am now on Linux Mint Cinnamon for a month. Really, try it. I have Windows in a VM and on another HDD but never use it. Mint is really the best for beginners. EVERYTHING I need works and I even lost my fear for the terminal. Just try it.

>Mint is known for holding back updates because >muh stability

They don't. If you want the newest updates, you'll get them.

Oh, and Ubuntu MATE is also good for a Windowsfags

none, until wayland comes out

It was in 2013 mate.
I used BackTrack in 5th though. Same shit.

FEDORA. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT.

Fedora is way better. If you're gonna use Mint just use Ubuntu.

>mostly science / engineering related, such as small FEM or other PDE solving methods

Install BSD

Use Ubuntu. Don't install Gentoo.

>mlady