Objectively, what is Arch Linux good for?

Since it's not derived from Debian or Red hat the only distros that can use any advancements made by Arch is basically....Arch. But for what purpose? They are on the bleeding edge, so shit breaks constantly.

I'd see some use of Arch, if after the initial testing a stable distro could use the fixed and stable packages and software, but since Arch only has that meme Manjaro and even more meme Antergos in its downstream, and given the fact that literally nobody uses those, I'm gonna have to say that Arch is completely pointless.

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ok

Bleeding edge break stuff. Fix must you.

Oh wait... You already said both already.

yes

uhuhm having fun I guess

Arch is for people who like tinkering with their computer and os. If they actually think it's a good os for everyday use they are deluded.

It's a DIY distro. If you like tinkering with stuff and don't mind occasional fuck ups then go ahead.

Arch allows to create a lightweight system that isn't outdated (I'm looking at you, Debian) without the need to complile your shit up on chinkpad's core2duo.
Also I never had an upgrade that caused a major fuckup.

I'm on manjaro and it's my fav distro so far.
Tried Arch, Ubuntu, Fedora, Debian, Mint, SUSE, etc

YOU KNOW WHAT WOULD BE FUN, MAKE ARCH FOR EVERYDAY USE!

>shit breaks constantly

This is just a Sup Forums meme and if you believe it, you either never used Arch or didn't read the instructions when installing it and severely fucked something up.

Anyways. Here's what it's good for, in my humble opinion: I appreciate being able to only have packages I want without having to rip out unwanted pre-installed packages. Pacman is my favorite package manager, much faster than apt-get. The AUR is nice, but just like installing random programs from the internet on Windows, you have to be careful.

All in all it's my favorite distro, the only real complaint I have is that it's made and maintained by random neckbeards on the internet

Wish it was made by a more professional company. I'd pay for a product like that.

It works, I guess.
And the amount of trolling I get is amusing.

How can you spout such nonsense without feeling embarrassment? Do you form your own opinions or do you just parrot memes and myths picked up on here?

Plenty of people use Arch as their daily computer, including me. There are reasons people would use Arch; the same reasons you'd use any distribution. Release schedule, package philosophy (licensing and patching) and package manager. Since you're a pretentious idiot who likes parroting things he has no knowledge of to feel some superior and knowledgeable this will be lost on you. I'm feeling 2nd hand embarrassment for you and anyone else who behaves that way.

You're idiots too. THere's something called minimal or net-installers for other distributions which allows you to do the same. The things mentioned above apply for you too.
Kill yourselves.

Name things that would improve if it was "made by a professional company".

This. I am using Arch on my everyday PC and it works just fine.

I know about debootstrap. But having a netinstall won't magically put newest packages into repositories.
If you can't understand that, then it's you who should kill himself.

>shit breaks constantly
No it doesn't.

Social networks integration.

100% agree, Manjaro is fantastic

get the fuck out, my nigga

Yeah. I love to drink some moar of your tears user.

>having a netinstall won't magically put newest packages into repositories.
Of course it won't, that depends on the distribution which I mentioned. For Debian you can use something other than the stable branch and then you'll get the newest packages.
What was your point again?

How do you spell manjaro? Is it J as in Jar or J as in Juan?

Maybe it will make you pee more knowledge then.

I'd have the peace of mind that things are secure and things I'm installing from the core repositories are from trustworthy sources. Don't get me wrong, I think the Arch community is great, but it's kind of hard to trust unpaid volunteers with everything.

Arch still gets packages faster than Debian Unstable or RH derivative.

It is objectively the best if you're a dropout and need something to fill the gap.

>it breaks constantly
Can't you see that's the point? They need it to break so they can forever aspire to use thier own system, it's a facility to numb their minds and let them forget about their failed existence.

Arch is the ultimate manifestation of and end to distro hopping, once you're satisfied with one, the realisation of how much of a piece of shit you are comes rushing back, you know that you jerked it all down the toilet, and gave it all away to make some passing girl think you're hardc0re thinking she will give half a fuck and for all that you didn't even get a glance. To stop this, you must never be satisfied, even for a second before distro hopping, enter arch.

Arch is the superior, manageable version of distro hopping, you can stick with one, but it's more like none, a universe of nothing, so you can self-roleplay with anime girls and finally have someone to talk to. That is the objective point of arch, to never work on purpose and be containment for smell spergs who never made it past 17.

you spell it
m-a-n-j-a-r-o

Juan here, J in Juan is pronounced like J in Jar, isn it.

Maybe you pronounce it, like the german J

Simply put arch is just a big up-to-date repo with a minimal install to use them.
There is no added-value in arch, arch devs are simply maintainers.
Can some give me a few arch-specific softwares designed to provide a better experience on arch than anywhere else?

We can trashtalk about antergos or manjaro but atleast they're actively trying to make arch special, create things that make users excited to try the distro.
This is exactly the same with debian, no added-value, boring distro that just work with nothing special about it.

Isn't Juan spelled with silent J?

[citation needed]
I am using Arch myself and there have been times where I had to build packages myself because they wouldn't get updated in the repositories (I flagged them myself and they went a month without being updated). I looked at Debian's repositories just for fun and they had newer versions packaged.
Therefore, generally looking, no, Arch doesn't get packages faster than the unstable/testing branches of other distributions. They get them mostly around the same time (when the packages get released by upstream), with a few exceptions.

You're a meme, Arch is the only distro suitable for the desktop.
>Debian
Even testing packages are too old, and running sid sucks balls
>Ubuntu
Debian botnet edition: now with extra bloat
>Anything ubuntu-based
literally why
>Fedora
Actually ok, although more developer oriented than general desktop use.
>OpenSUSE
lmao
>Gentoo
Enjoy compiling webkit-gtk2 for five hours to update your browser, retard
>Manjaro/other Arch based bullshit
Patching compton and having a default theme is NOT A DISTRO
>insert any full-freetard shitro here
Unless you're running this on a core 2 duo librebooted thinkpad, fucking why?
>LFS/Void
Here, take your hipster cred tokens

It's hypocritical of you to call him a "meme" when you're parroting memes yourself.

>ubuntu is a botnet
>literally why for ubuntu based distributions with no explanation
>fedora apparently being "developer" oriented or whatever that buzzword means
>lmao for opensuse with no sane reasoning
>generic gentoo diss, without realizing what the core reason is to use gentoo

You're just as bad as him, if not worse.

I love how conveniently you hide the flaws of your distro and go on spouting flaws of others.

Confirmation bias, the post.

It is pronounced as WHO-one.

Thanks user.

there are no silent J, only silent H's, weirdo.

Arch is bad. Stop discussing this like mindless drones for the 56363th time.

Get over it Archfats.

Feeling superior. But not too much.

I use antergos

I think it's man-JA-ro like in italian man-GI-are

In the end, the only difference is the package manager and you know it.

I'm not going to write an essay on every distro for Sup Forums you fucks. If you want polite discussion go literally anywhere but here.

>>generic gentoo diss
The funniest point is, it's not even factually correct. There are binary installations for major browsers in gentoo repos.

And what a difference it is. Which kind of furthers my point that derivative distros are fucking pointless - most of them could be reduced to a post-install script.

I use arch on my every day laptop and it has never broken to the point where I didn't know how to fix. each time it has broken is because of me tweaking it to the breaking point

ease of maintenance with up-to-date software
which is what most people who use linux on the desktop want

I think you meant "pronounce", and they don't give a fuck. From the Manjaro FAQ:
>Although the inspiriation for the name originates from Mount Kilimanjaro, it may be pronounced as 'Man-jar-o' or as 'Man-ha-ro'.

Arch is the perfect DIY distro

You're an idiot. Linux in general has improved so much in the last few years that bleeding edge in it's present state, is now MORE stable than fucking LTS was previously. Seriously, Arch in it's present state has given me fewer problems than Ubuntu. Yeah, it's more of a pain in the ass to install, but given the problems I've had to solve in the past on other distros, it's virtually a non-issue by comparison. Most all the issues you see these days in any given distro, derive from stupid special snowflake shit (Ubuntu and Manjaro, notably). Stop being such a dipshit and open your eyes.

This is possibly the most pompous, unhelpful comment I've seen on Sup Forums this week. Arch is overly complicated garbage that no one has time to install/configure, so Manjaro/Antergos were born. Plus (it's been said a million times) the community is shit on average.

Pros:
>Great package manager
>Extensive wiki that applies to a lot of other distros too
Cons:
>Maintained by douchebag college students
If you're a douchebag college student, you'd probably love Arch.

Boring office stuff like spread sheets: Red Hat, CentOS
Gaming and noobs general: Ubuntu
Entry-level coding: Debian, Fedora

Reale serious coding, top-end server stuff and hacking: Arch

I've been using Arch as my main work PC OS for 3 years (without reinstalling.)

Updates only broke my system once. For a bleeding edge OS, I don't expect to have 100% reliability.

The only point I'm trying to make is that spinoffs are practically the only unstable Linux these days.Special snowflake distros almost always are prone to breakage and security issues. I really don't care how helpful you find this.
>Plus (it's been said a million times) the community is shit on average.
If on average means not helping Manjaro fags, then yes I'll agree, the Arch community typically gets steamed if they come begging for help. Arch forums is far more helpful and polite than Sup Forums could ever be so keep sharing your hypocritical viewpoints, your only wasting your time preaching to memelords who don't matter in any way.

>This is exactly the same with debian, no added-value, boring distro that just work with nothing special about it.

I don't want, nor need, my distribution to 'add-value' to my OS.

If I want my OS to be special, I will do it myself. I don't need other people to do it for me.

Just give me a vanilla Linux kernel + vanilla repo _without_ any modification, thank you very much.

>ubuntu bloated
ubuntu base install has more packages than arch but still takes up less space :^)

enjoy building your binaries against every single dependency

>gaming

It makes for a pretty light guest.

I use it for vpn'd torrenting. That way I can use any host OS I want without fucking around with different torrent clients.

>ubuntu base install has more packages than arch but still takes up less space :^)
proof or it didn't happen

Ubuntus repo structure is more bloated than Arch

Ubuntus repo structure is more bloated than Arch

Of course. Ubuntu splits devel packages.

Which is a pain in the ass if you're a developer.

Can't think of a distro other than arch that doesn't.

Binary rolling-release distro with up-to-date packages.

No other distro provides this.

>Arch is overly complicated garbage that no one has time to install/configure

Arch does not do anything to complicate things, this isn't even about Arch. This is about minimal installations of any GNU/Linux distribution.

Your issue is with any GNU/Linux distribution that does not come with a graphical interface by default, and your belief that it is done to "over-complecate" things, which stems from your own incompetence.

>Binary rolling-release distro with up-to-date packages.

seconded

So you only use packages that are created by a person(s) that is funded by a large publicly traded company?

Then what is the core reason of Gentoo ?

It's for hobbyists. The community is full of people who think they are advanced users but are actually intermediate at best.

Take a look at sourcemage even more vanilla than gentoo. Looks neat enough.
sourcemage.org/

GPU passthrough is fairly straight forward with Arch. It's also not riddled with bloat, and people like the package manager. (some don't). There's as much reason to run Arch as any other distro, and the difficulty of using arch is seriously blown out of proportion, apart from the fairly user unfriendly installation process I've had no trouble with Arch.

>what is Arch Linux good for?
on my dedicated server
- encrypted hdd, remotely unlocked with dropbear ssh and luks
- my personal website (apache, mariadb, php-fpm)
- owncloud for file sharing, backup, calendar, contacts, bookmarks, news
- email via imaps, (postfix+dovecot) or web interface. mostly I get emails about completed tasks/torrents
- BIND nameserver
- openVPN server for using public wifi on my mobile devices. it has both UDP and TCP (with long keepalive so battery doesn't drain using TCP on phones)
- transmission daemons for torrents
- flexget to automatically parse torrent rss feeds from my private trackers
- ssh tunnels from work by routing port 80 to port 22 for all work ip addresses
- mp3fs fuse filesystem so I don't have to use all my flac files, it automatically encodes mp3 when requested, available from owncloud or sshfs
- rar2fs fuse filesystem for those stupid rar based torrents
- plex media server available to VPN so I can watch muh tv on my phone anywhere
- ldap backend authentication so I can have one password for all the above services

on my home server
- squid http proxy
- openVPN client and server
- uses ldap authentication from above, is a local cache
- local plex media server, samba, raid10 backup of server
- work in progress still as it's only a week old

guess that's it for me