/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=mBFI8ScdE4E
ebay.com/itm/381728564856?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
youtube.com/watch?v=KiB7ny52-xw
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

1ndth for trains.

T..thanks sempai...

It's going to be a big jump for me, a SKX beater into a Rolex. This will be the first of many I promised myself, well now that I can afford it, a watch a year. I was planning on a red bezel BB(used) for my first watch but I decided to say fuck it and get the one I wanted the most first. A Submariner. Think I'd go...

1. Sub (Brand new 114060 I've been jerking to this thing for a few weeks now, its one of the best sellers so very hard to find a place with one in stock)
2. BB red bezel ETA 2824 (used)
3. Pelagos blue (used possibly but I don't mind new)

Then I'd be done, but a part of me wanted to swap the BB for a GMT. Overall my end game is going to have 1 Rolex as my base, the Sub.

Pretty sure the op doesnt even own a watch

4th for /fa/

A nice shopping list. Will certainly make for a nice collection.
Personally not a fan of Tudors, the hour hand is just a massive turnoff for me, but if you like it then you go right ahead and grab 'em, very good watches either way.

I got an F91-W a few years back and it's great. Pretty sure it'll get you on a watchlist, though.

G-get it?

Waiting is hell.
I just want a god damned Dispatch Notification at the very least.

I do agree with you, which is why I am iffy about the BB. After the 114060 I will already own Merc hands. Another thing I do not like about the BB is the 2824, sure its a great movement but I prefer in-house. I might replace it with pic related on my list.

For the Pelagos, I love the moderness of the watch but I could live without it...

>Steinshit
lol well I hope you enjoy it. Don't get me wrong Steinshit is a great value, I just don't agree with them just throwing a movement into a watch with even refining it just a little. I mean this fucking watch has no date window, but you have a date adjustment. That shit sets off my autism into fucking defcon 1.

Perhaps look at some Omegas? Seamaster 300 perhaps?

Not a big fan of Omegas, if I do get an Omega however it would be a Speedmaster Professional.

>I mean this fucking watch has no date window, but you have a date adjustment. That shit sets off my autism into fucking defcon 1.
You started off with some severe autism, but your justification is sound.
And I completely agree with you, the least they could do is remove the redundant date complication if they've no intention of it being implemented.

Reposting my post regarding stein"shit" from previous thread.

Having held both Ocean One, and OVM in my hands, I can safely say that I 40% agree with you.

The vast majoirty of Steinharts range need not exist, they're good watches, but you can only pay so much Homage until you start to just outright insult the original.

The OVM is a damned nice watch for the price, you're going to have a hard time finding a better one outside of the used market. My own real peeve with the OVM is the end-centre link, it is squared off, doesn't fit too well with the endlinks and produce an aesthetic flaw, which can be quite annoying. But a strap soon fixes this.

Steinhart could do well if they get the right creative minds in to design decent dials, should they remain on ETA's good side and keep receiving 2824's that is.

Fair enough.

Thoughts on a submariner "homage" watch?

They are legal and not copies, there are no markings of any kind they call it "sterile" and some have the ETA movement for $300ish dollars

another,

they are growing on me desu, unpretentious, simple, cheap, not trying to be something it's not just a nice subby you can wear and use

Zenith Big Date Special.

Dont mind me just posting watches that i will never own.
I am going through hard time.
God damn i want to kill myself only to end it.

Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. And I wouldn't call Steinhart shit if they were to be more selective/tasteful with their homages.

OVM1/2 - great homage, I would have owned one if it weren't for my autism and what I view is an obvious flaw of the watch.

Anything else from them that looks like a Submariner(besides the basic black/date)/GMT/Deepsea not needed IMHO. Their brass one, very creative and a contender to my collection if only it didn't have a date adjustment the same flaw the OVM had.

Then it all went to shit when they introduced the fucking Titanium abomination, you kinda see them for what they are, a company that has a complete lack of creativity. When they aren't copying a Rolex/IWC their line turned into shit.

Of course there are some surprises out of them, namely pic related. However they went and fucking discontinue the GMT and 3ATM just isn't enough for me why not 5ATM?

>They are legal and not copies, there are no markings of any kind they call it "sterile"

All they did was take a bunch of dials off the assembly line right before they got to the fake rolex marking part. It's a fake a nothing else.

untrue, there are no markings on the bezel or clasp or set knob

they are doing legit business, these are not fake rolexes they are swiss eta movement watches with no markings. If you saw someone wearing one you would not think it was a rolex

that movement is used in a lot of watches

Steinhart could do really, really well if they just got the right designers in there. Would be nice to see.

>If you saw someone wearing one you would not think it was a rolex
Nigger you can spot a Rolex a mile away, or any tasteless homage it may be.

One pays homage to vintage watches, or limited run products.

The Submariner has had so much "homage" paid to it that they really are at this point just shameless copies.

Basically any watch that looks like that is a copy to the Submariner. One of the things Seiko gets flak about is being called the company that sells cheap Rolex knockoffs.

It's watching the surprise on people's faces when they find out that you are wearing a real Rolex(no fucking Thailand made ticktock or cheapo miyota movement) Submariner is the reason I want one. To be able to say that I own an original to something that has been copied literally billions of times.

I just like the blank face not showing off a brand name

it's clearly a cheap watch and nobody who knows anything about watches would think you were trying to pass it off as a rolex (That is what makes something a fake)

I would like a seiko with no name on it

the names on watch faces bother me, i think it's pretentious

>and what I view is an obvious flaw of the watch.
Let me guess, the "aged" patina look?

Not even that, its the fact that you can adjust the date on the watch without a date window. I just feel it is poor taste and a lack of effort on Steinhart's part.

>One of the things Seiko gets flak about is being called the company that sells cheap Rolex knockoffs.
Literally no one says this.

Leather NATO/ZULU, y/n?

Entirely justified. But I feel that should they have included a date window, it would look out of place, and ruin the appearance of the watch.
Though they still could remove it from the movement if they never intended on using it.

yes please

Depends on the watch.

People do actually, pic related is the best selling Seiko line in the world. You can do the research, the SKX also sells pretty well but it is far eclipsed by this line. And when people asks for it, its usually "get me that Seiko Rolex style."

Plenty of modded Seiko's on the market with no names, or just mod it yourself with an unbranded aftermarket dial (See 656 homages)

A lot of companies copied Rolex's design, Citizen, Orient and a few Swiss companies to boot.

Maybe...

Reminds me of this.

youtube.com/watch?v=mBFI8ScdE4E

I don't like it but I never owned one It must be popular with watchfags for a good reason.

I call bullshit. Casio and Citizen both have similar models, but none of them get shit for being a knockoff maker.

I agree, a modded SKX a $150 is more respectable than a Submariner knockoff with no name. I personally liked this mod myself, its a bit overpriced so I won't be considering it.

They don't get shit for it, but they are called Rolex style. Japan has been universally shat on in the past decades(70s-90) for being called the country that copies shit so much so that it became a pop-culture thing. It was only later with the emergence of Made in China where Made in Japan meant quality.

Why would you pay a lot more for a watch with only marginally more accurate time and a little better finish?

Not sure exactly what mod you're talking about, as the 656 homage is based on the SNK809.

But you could also get a sterile dial for a SKX or even an already modded 7002. (Since an unmodded 7002 is somewhat of a fucking treasure by now).

>But you could also get a sterile dial for a SKX

where, i don't see them on ebay

The Seiko is actually more accurate than the Rolex. However you wear a Rolex along with your polo shirt and pressed custom suit to compliment who you are.

i am the high bidder on this, would this be a good price?

ebay.com/itm/381728564856?_trksid=p2060353.m1431.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

Isn't Rolex babby's first nouveau riche watch?

Depends, he's using an HDR filter to potentially hide some flaws but since its a beater who the fuck cares. This is the 150m version being its quite old since the 200m version has been introduced two decades ago so it might need some work to be accurate. If you don't mind it being +/- 1-2 minutes a day(which is completely unacceptable, in comparison a Rolex is +/- 2 seconds guaranteed a day) then it should be fine.

blah you really think it will be off by 2mins a day?

I just want it as a cheap beater to play with

Dial and hands are unoriginal/aftermarket. Basically another 7002 thrown together from aftermarket parts, worth 75$ at most.

Though even for one of these it's decently put toghether, it has the rather uncommon lumed aftermarket dial, and that insert looks interesting, not original as well but different from the standard Chinese aftermarket inserts.

Yobokies occasionally sells one, but Dagaz is a prime source.

Neither on eBay.

Unless he got it serviced which normally cost $125 then yes, however I highly highly doubt he got it serviced selling it at this price.

it says in the description it's been serviced

if i win it and if it's off by that much every day ill resell it with full disclosure and probably get 50bucks for it

so ill be out like 40 bucks, sucks to be me, thanks though

If it has been serviced then you got yourself a pretty decent beater. However who knows if he's lying or not. Get the watch app and test its regulation.

The dial is an original Seiko, its from SKX173, I have one myself. No idea why someone would intentionally mod a 007 into a 173 though. I haven't serviced her since I bought it in 2003, but so far she's only running at 10-15 +/- which is acceptable for me.

Post the collection already, damn.
Porsche is shit, it's the shitter wanna.be nouveau riche car of choice.

>three luxury watches
>three divers from (basically) the same brand
why

Nothing more American than a Rolex and a 1911, fuck year.

why are there three in this pic

why would you say that? he often posts his watches

>Rolex
>American
Not sure how to say this.
But are you per chance brain damaged?

Are there any watches capable of operating at 500 degrees C and that drift by at max 1 minute over a 1 year time period?

>The dial is an original Seiko, its from SKX173
user, that's a 7002 and not a SKX, definitely not the same watch. Different movement (7002 vs 7S26) and the SKX173&007 have a day display to boot.

I understand there was a shitposting spergout going on, but no need to get caught in it.

Back to the matter at hand, there are a few decent guides on buying 7002 divers that clearly show and state on how to catch onto these aftermarket thrown together pieces and see original un-Philipino'd pieces.

Though they aren't bad for beaters.

>already thick watch hovering three feet above your wrist
no

Because I love divers, always have and always will. These are the watches that grab at me, there are some dresses that is changing my perspective like the Reverso. But overall my life long dream is to buy a Sub after I am in a position to afford one meaning.

-have a $350k house in a decent area(I'm no where a richfag and this area is decent with good neighbors)
-not be in debt(only thing left is mortage, car note and Sallie Mae bullshit, 0 CC debt)
-6 figure job(barely 6 figures 105k but I am comfy since no wife and kids)

I met I would say 2/3 of that criteria.

4rd for Shapeways strap adapters being way better than JaysAndKays.

>Are there any watches capable of operating at 500 degrees C and that drift by at max 1 minute over a 1 year time period?

I am sure there are timepieces and industrial clocks that can do that (for use in factories and shit)

but since you would burn to death I doubt and wrist watch could take that abuse because nobody would bother to design one that could

That being said the omega moon watches had to endure being exposed to a total vacuum and something like 250degrees for hours on end

My mistake, the prices on these seems to be in the $40-$60 range in the condition he has posted. So yea, he might have gotten ripped off a bit.

Only if it's thin (

>I don't know how to drive: the post

My statement was more of a hyperbole than an actual statement of where the watch is made. There are more Rolex sold in America than anywhere else in the world. Look man Glocks are also made in Austria but it doesn't stop it from being called the modern American pistol. We are Americans, we take things that are good and claim it as our own, that's what we do.

I guess. Wait for a bit after you bought the Submariner before deciding on something else though.

>we take things that are good and claim it as our own, that's what we do.
And yet you landed in such a shithole of a country.
The least you could do is find one not split between two tectonic plates or has such bizarre weather patterns.

Well could we make one if we had a reason to?

>> wear
Oh it wouldn't be for wearing.

Not in Zulu, the Zulu straps makes an already thick watch even thicker. Black or James Bond, Nato would be my choice. Its all a personal preference.

>$40-$60 range
For really fucked up ones perhaps, decently clean examples that are mostly from aftermarket parts, and perhaps 80~85$ for original ones in bad to poor shape with a replacement inserts.

With all the buggery that comes from the movement being in either a completely un-serviced state or Philippino serviced, it's easier to just buy a brand new SKX before the price jump up again. (Still somewhat available at 175$~)

I honestly think this country's geology is pretty good, but then again I live in commiefornia where we don't have tornado and hurricanes.

>but then again I live in commiefornia where we don't have tornado and hurricanes.
But daily earthquakes.
Honestly, carpet cleaner sales must be insane there. Either that or everyone drinks their coffee from sip-cups that don't spill.

>Well could we make one if we had a reason to?

yes I am sure it could be done, especially if you don't put requirements on the movement

I am sure there are timepieces that have to endure similar conditions near engines or furnaces in industrial situations

what may i ask would it be for if not wearing (i think you are looking for a clock not a watch)

>commiefornia
My condolences.

We have a watch that can dive to the bottom of the Mariana Trench, and then some (See: Rolex Sea Dweller, rated for 3900m)

The Omega, as previously stated, was tested at 250*C for some hours.

I have no doubt that we could manufacture a wrist watch capable of withstanding 500*C heat and maintaining a high degree of accuracy.

>europussies
What, can't handle a little seismic activity, Hans?

Nice try.
Porsche is shit for poorfags who can't afford a Ferrari, everyone knows that.

A wise man does not build his house on the sand.

a Porsche is about as far as you can go sports car wise as a daily driver

a Ferrari sucks dick as a daily driver but a 911 turbo is fine

>a Ferrari sucks dick as a daily driver
You don't have to drive La Ferrari, get a coupe or a cabrio one, retard.

Lol. Earthquakes that actually do real damage are a once in ~100 year event. Earthquakes that spill drinks happen every 15 years or so at most. My cock gets rock hard when I see some wannabe model/actress transplant panic and cry at a mere 3.0, squirming and flailing about.

kek
youtube.com/watch?v=KiB7ny52-xw

>There are more Rolex sold in America than anywhere else in the world.

to Chinese people

but that's entirely wrong, what
they make different cars for different uses

>i have never been inside a ferrari in my life

this guy knows

So if Archie is right about certain models of Rolexes appreciating in value, why hasn't a bank started offering loans secured by Rolexes as collateral? Considering the number of suckers going into debt purchasing one, all you have to do is price the loan slightly below credit card debt, say at 12%. Of course you'd only advance 50% of LTV at most, and limit it to specific models from specific years (and with box and papers and documented service history) to minimalise risk of franken watches. And require insurance of course. Does the county accept UCC filings on watchs? There's money to be made, fäms.

>trying to possess a rolex from someone who doesn't pay back loans

>they make different cars for different uses
Yes, Porsche makes cars for poorfags. I'm glad we can agree.
>>i have never been inside a ferrari in my life
What are you trying to say? That you can't drive something like a California daily?

How do people with Patek Philippes and such not get scared that they'll break, lose, or get robbed for their $100,000+ watch?

I live in Boca Raton and know people who own ferraris

What you never see is a 5 year old ferrari with 50,000 or 60,000 miles on it, you see them 5 years old with 4,000 miles on them

no matter how rich you are they are weekend cars you don't drive them to and from work every day and to run errands, they are unreliable and don't take miles well. Also they draw attention 100% of the time

on the other hand you can buy a porshe and drive it like a honda accord and nobody thinks twice of it, you see used porsches with tons of miles on them

I don't know how else to explain it to you, same with Lamborghinis, they don't get driven much

it's not about richfag poorfag it's about how the cars are used

For fuck's sake the FF even looks like an Alfa. If people are retarded it's not my fault.

Not watch related, mods delete this fucking thread!

They live in an environment where people mind their own business and are past jealousy and harm to others.

A chronograph for a seismic recording device intended to operate on venus.

on venus it's more like 800degrees and there is HUGE atmospheric pressure and corrosive gases to deal with

totally different ballgame than just a watch that can take 500degrees in normal earth air

Assuming you're not just bullshitting, I'm sure watch manufacturers would love to be able to claim they had 'the first watch on venus'.

What mid-range Seiko is closest In looks to the GS 44, especially the lug/case design?

>Operate on Venus
AKA a thinly veiled request for a watch that would survive fisting your mom's fat cunt. Nice try.