Computer science

I fell for the cs meme and Im starting in less than a month. What should I expect?
How many Thinkpads should I buy?
How much anime should i watch and which wallpaper should I use?

Expect to feel like an idiot for a year.

Expect to write code that doesn't compile and you have no clue why.

Expect a raging boner when you make your shit finally compile.

stay away from the anime and video game kids

actual developers don't use think pads, just autists

work in a lab doing research if you want to learn how to actually write software while at school

Grit your teeth and finish as fast as possible.

Skipping semesters will kill you. You have to do it all in sequence and without gap years.

>I fell for the cs meme and Im starting in less than a month. What should I expect?
>How many Thinkpads should I buy?
>How much anime should i watch and which wallpaper should I use?

10/10

Expect to be unemployed.

and that's why you are a poorfag

Does it really matter which brand my laptop is, as long as I like it and it gets the job done??

Get an internship and network. Everything else is unnecessary

good grades + experience (work in your field or internships or research) >> excellent grades + no experience

If the place you study is not a shithole, it will be hard. Your professors literally want a certain percentage of the class to fail. They actually worry if too many people pass the course.

tips:
1. NEVER skip ANY class. some lectures will be 100% useless, but you still MUST go otherwise you will develop bad habits, become numb, and stop leaving your dorm. If you feel the lecture is useless just open your laptop and work on some project.

2. CHEAT IN THE MATH COURSES. copy paste all your homework - it is the best way to understand the material. The teachers rush the material and don't have time to explain/demonstrate so it will be HUGELY inefficient to try and solve everything alone.

3. DONT BE AN ASPY RETARD. find a mate with brains that won't drag you down. you will work with projects with him. if he becomes incompetent dont be afraid to drop him. NEVER WORK WITH FEMALES.

4. EXPECT THE WORST. be mentally prepared to fail hard at your courses. be mentally prepared for your sleep schedule to fuck up.

5. DONT GO TO THE GYM. FUCK /FIT/, FUCK STARTING STRENGTH, AND FUCK THEIR MEMES. it will waste precious, precious time to go to there. just do push ups at home and go for a jog if you want to stay healthy.

6. DONT WASTE MORE THAN 1 HOUR ON FOOD PREPARATION/CLEANING DISHES. learn to make cheap, healthy, and simple foods.

7. if you want to play video games, delete anything that consumes huge amounts of time. you need to pick games that give you maximum amount of pleasure in the minimum amount of time. are you a dota/lol player? ditch that thing. search time/pick&ban and all the time being dead don't give you pleasure. do you like grand strategy games like europa universalis? too bad you don't have time for that shit.
CSGO or other shooters have a better pleasure/time ratio.

8. if you feel the need, get yourself some Ritalin or the likes. you need to juice yourself buddy. this shit isn't a game.

most of this advice is terrible

i do a lot of work in a 2007 dell latitude it doesn't fuckin matter

> The teachers rush the material and don't have time to explain/demonstrate so it will be HUGELY inefficient to try and solve everything alone.
This is so backwards. The teachers suck in the early calc sequence (and college algebra/precalc), so your only hope of succeeding is doing all the homework. It will teach you good habits as well.

>DONT GO TO THE GYM. FUCK /FIT/, FUCK STARTING STRENGTH, AND FUCK THEIR MEMES. it will waste precious, precious time to go to there. just do push ups at home and go for a jog if you want to stay healthy
Starting Stength is so basic; if you're not a fat fuck and take short rest times (as you should) it will only take 30-45 minutes a day, 3 days a week. This discussion is for a different board though.

>if you feel the need, get yourself some Ritalin or the likes. you need to juice yourself buddy. this shit isn't a game.
he's not going to war; he's getting a bachelor's degree. It's not that hard.

my best tip is to get linux and get good at using a text editor like vim/emacs as well as learn how to compile through terminal with gcc and cmake (you'll probably be using C++ to start out)

Kill yourself you fucking retard.

>It's not that hard
maybe in your pajeet college with 200K students enrolled. high level universities/colleges will slit your throat and shit diarrhea in it.

>This is so backwards
if you want your degree to keep going in the academy, then you are right. but if you study CS just to work for a software company then you don't need to acquire good math-learning habits.

> SS will only take 30-45 minutes a day
yeah if the gym is very close to your dorms, not completely packed, and you somehow get enough protein to recover/have short rest times.

Kill yourself you fucking retard

> cs meme
Anyone on this board who calls cs a meme either flunked out of or hasn't taken cs.
Take it seriously, work hard, have fun, and you'll have the time of your life, nothing is more rewarding than finally getting a difficult pset solved, especially early on.
If your cs course is too easy, get a copy of the SICP and study it in your spare time, it'll open your mind to a lot of concepts that some introductory courses don't cover.
When you get confident with your first language, branch out and start over, about a year from now you'll learn languages in days.
It's frustrating, punishing, sometimes downright crushing, but if you learn how to program, and program well, you will go on to build something great.

I know I'll be using C for the first semester

>stay away from the anime and video game kids

This. Mostly un-hireable piece of human waste with cancerous personalities. Through my time as a CS major I have seen way too many people catch autism like its a plague. Most of these people end up dropping out and becoming NEETs or bouncing around from shitty code monkey jobs because they have no sense of responsibility.

Also stay away from CS girls. SOME of them can program, but most of them find some poor nerd to string a long (or fuck if he's lucky, but usually too autistic) and do projects for them. You will see 6/10 girls surrounded by desperate nerds in every class. It's pathetic. There are plenty of other ways to get laid in college.

If you can't spend 2 hours away from the desk to lift weights but you suggest video games you need to reset your priorities
The benefits of lifting weights hugely overshadow video games
You want real advice on how to thrive through college? Don't limit yourself
Work to the skin of your teeth
Stop browsing Sup Forums and live your life to the fullest
Also if you get invited to something
Go
You need social skills in life too

C is the best place to start IMO. Teaches you the building blocks of coding like pointers and memory allocation.

Don't fuck around with math
There is literally nothing wrong with being comfortable with concepts in mathematics

I didn't learn Algebra concepts in high school and I barely survived through college algebra with a messily 77
And I'll tell you one thing
Finding out I was one of the few students who passed with the professor was a great feeling
I went to a tutor every day I went to college
I worked full time and I take 12 credit hours every semester but I only am at the college 2-3 days a week depending on the schedule
It sucked but knowing the work payed off was a great feeling

- make friendship with girls, they are dumb as fuck, easy to get laid, also there will be just a few of them, so be quick
- 70% of content you will ever learn can be foud on the internet
- cheat math exams if you are bad, yes, shameful to admit, but it's best to cheat a little bit on math, you can easily waste +1 semester, later on you will realise how important math is
- actually start walking then jogging/running on daily bases, 30-45 mins of cardio is superior for your brain, and heart

- if you want aesthetics just buy 2 dumbbells with adjustable weights, and make a pull up bar from a pipe, and some support wood, also get a resistance band

- make friends, even better make friend with seniors, most shit will be new, so it will provide a certain backup, teachers are human beings, they have their flaws, people will be shy, try to socialize, later on you will have to work in 4-5 groups(at least), those minor social skills will be handy later on

- never let those friends too close, they want you to fail. Even your fucking teacher want you to fail. Some teacher forced to let pass only certain percent of students, get info from seniors, I knew a teacher that allowed no more than ~35% of students to pass
- never let your voice heard in public, you are not a lawyer, it's not highschool, be a silent sheep, without public opinion (that's actually the most important)

- spend atleast 3 hours a day programming even the most useless shit
- read books about algorithms and data structures, once you start to understand the basics

most people dont get pleasure from lifting. games give you pleasure, bit less than drugs and sex, but much more practical.

get lost fgt

Im gay so I will just ignore your first piece of advice...

Why is everyone acting like he's going for a PhD. He's getting an undergraduate degree in CS. Most of that shit is babby level, especially the first couple years.

Two hours lifting weights?

Get the fuck out.

get a load of mister hardcore over here

some people have only 140 IQ or less. some people never faced the workload volume that a CS degree requires. some people dont go to a shitty college in the middle of nowhere.

in that case sit next to the cute guys and bro them up

That wasn't a humble brag or statement about a shitty college. The first few semesters of college you barely scratch the surface of your degree while also taking basic ass history 1 classes. I don't think he needs to worry much honestly. His degree won't really begin until his junior year, I would say.

>raging bone when your code compiles
this

i almost fell for the computer science meme, but then i got accepted for cognitive science. feels good man

you're forgetting that most introductory CS classes are weed-out classes.

Change your mind and go for pure math while you still have time. Then study something like finance.

not everyone is interested in money.