/retro/ - retro, vintage, old computer thread

I love restoring old hardware, don't you?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_operations_center
ebay.com/itm/Commodore-pet-2001-series-8k-ram-mint-working-youtube-video-in-description-/222217839516?hash=item33bd37239c:g:lmcAAOSwV0RXrpJi
archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S56009941#p56010792
youtube.com/watch?v=g6jQVqkpjc8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal
youtube.com/watch?v=Zze_PIEio08
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>you will never own a noc

>you will never hack the Gibson

What the fuck was that guy even doing with all that shit? Were you in that thread?

what is a noc?

That's boner material right there

>portrait
k

Network operations center

>pic related

How energy efficient are CRT displays?

Is there any way to stick a dual 500mhz card from a sawtooth/Gigabit Ethernet G4 into a G4 cube without dremeling out bits of the guide rails?

One second user, ONE SECOND

Where do you mouse with that mouse? There's no surface available.

Good question

LOLOLOLOLOL!

As energy efficient as electron guns with flyback transformers.

I want pie now

>showcased technologies mostly geared at desktop publishing like WYSIWYG document processing
>more optimal for text jobs in general
>made by a fucking printer company

I really want the shit out of an Apollo system the more I learn about them, they're very underappreciated.

I'm planning on getting a C64, what was that new memory card based floppy drive called?

Met a guy who sold me a CRT for my Pentium build, also brought a 5-pin DIN keyboard and some other useful stuff for a nice price.

So, I finally have this thing up and running!

It's got Dos 6.22/Windows 3.11 installed, but not much else - I'm waiting on some 3.5" floppies and a USB-floppy drive so I can start transferring games and drivers over.

The PSU fan seems unusually loud (but it's not a bearing noise), so I may have to replace that.

All in all, I'm quite happy it works.

That's awesome! What are the specs?

Get a network card, it's much easier to transfer things that way!
Also you have a CD ROM, can't you write CD's for it?
Using floppies to transfer stuff is kind of annoying, specially for such a newer machine.

not him but the problem with CD-Rs is that it feels like it takes forever to get enough software to pack into one to make it really worthwhile

also not really sure how well networking would be on DOS/3.x, but it is pretty damn effortless on NT when it comes to file transfers.

>also not really sure how well networking would be on DOS/3.x, but it is pretty damn effortless on NT when it comes to file transfers.
It's really easy and useful, just get mTCP stack under DOS and start the FTP server, it's as easy as opening FileZilla on your PC and dragging files to your old computer, I used that with my 8088.
You could also just use Microsoft Network Client for DOS and mount remote shares as DOS drives, but the first one takes less hassle.

>What are the specs?
-Pentium I 166 MHz, pretty sure it's MMX
-24 MB 72 pin RAM
-S3 968 graphics card
-ESS ES186X sound card
-8 GB HDD

>Get a network card, it's much easier to transfer things that way!
Working on it, I'd still need a way to put drivers on it though.

>Also you have a CD ROM, can't you write CD's for it?
Nah, none of my modern computers have CD drives. I have enough patience to work with floppies for the time being, anyway.

I'll probably look at putting Windows 98SE on another partition (if that kind of thing is doable), or maybe a Linux distro that can share files through another partition?

That's really nice, get Quake and Duke Nukem 3D on it!
I have Win95 right now on my 486DX4, it's booting straight into DOS with 4DOS shell, what I mainly use and to get to Windows just by running the Win command. Gonna upgrade to 98 soon, my RAM upgrade arrived yesterday, then I can use the PCMCIA WIFI card.

Noice.

I'll be putting Quake, Duke Nukem, DOOM, and System Shock on it to start with, along with whatever other games I can find that interest me.

My sister also brought back some of the CDs for games we used to play on my dad's Celeron computers - Croc 1 and 2, Marble Drop, and Age of Empires.

Awesome! Have fun!

just on the side of the case

kek

You use this innovative new thing called a desk

"I'm sure any new RAM chips are old stock."

That's not a problem; you can adapt modern SRAM with a little hacking. Some guy on there even did it with a C64C.

Bad heads seem to be one of the more common failure modes on 1541 drives which is not surprising given the hard life they typically lead and it makes me glad for modern storage solutions like the SD2IEC.

I do!
Checking in with my loved PDA loaded with microshit CE.

Specs:

RAM/flash: 16 MB of total memory in configuration 40% data and 60% RAM
No additional memory.
Processor: MIPS R4000

What a gorgeous piece of hardware.

ebay.com/itm/Commodore-pet-2001-series-8k-ram-mint-working-youtube-video-in-description-/222217839516?hash=item33bd37239c:g:lmcAAOSwV0RXrpJi

An Ebay seller who actually knows how to power on and test stuff?

My wall of old fame.

RAM and Pentium are form an old server of mine, my first build ever, I was 7 or so and after finding some parts in my basement I managed to power up an amazing machine with 20 gigs of HDD, 64 mb RAM and 3 floppy slots

>3 floppy slots
When I was a kid I thought more floppy drives was always a good thing. That computer must've been a beast.

You can desolder the inductor and mount it on the edge of the board

That feeling bro...
It was amazing, I could load Flight simulator WHILE writing a text on another floppy. I even had a floppy full of crap and useless files just to look more professional.

Is that a Rank/Xerox machine?

One of these is going on ebay for $100 (or $200 buy it now) - is it possible to hook these up to a relatively new computer, or would I need to look at some serious internal modifications to get it working as a standalone computer?

You should work a lot on it, user.

>I love restoring old hardware, don't you?
nah, not anymore. stuff doesn't flip as fast as it used to and playing with old stuff gets tiresome really quick.

archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/S56009941#p56010792

He forgot something else. Some DRAMs are not multiplexed. ;)

Yes.

With who are you talking?

youtube.com/watch?v=g6jQVqkpjc8

Just watched this, now I'm tempted to try and find some vintage calculators to go alongside the vintage computer collection that I'm beginning to make.

Is this the best retro looking headphone one can buy for cheap?

yes

no

maybe

I don't know

Can you repeat the question?

it depends

I know this is more /vr/ tier shit, but I just finished mod chipping my original PlayStation, fucking small solder contacts...

Does it have a standard RS-232 interface?

I checked. Yes it is RS-232 and should work on any normal PC serial port. This was actually the keyboard and monitor for the Wang 2200 minicomputer, a machine primarily targeted at the business market.

The Soviet Union purchased several Wang 2200s for use in state planning agencies, but reluctance to depend on Western computer hardware led to them reverse engineering the computer and producing a clone known as Iskra 226. However, the Iskra had a number of differences and was not popular with Gosplan personnel, so the machines were instead used in other Soviet bureaus and agencies while Gosplan stayed with the original Wang 2200s.

>Wang Laboratories
Are they the ones who make those magic pills advertised everywhere that make your manhood grow?

No, that was Dong Laboratories.

So how exactly do these work, anyway?

Do you just connect it to a remote PC via a serial cable of some kind, which allows you to boot it and use it as a keyboard and monitor?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer_terminal

No, it's like an Linux terminal window, but with it's own monitor and keyboard, connected to a PC.

youtube.com/watch?v=Zze_PIEio08

Wow, I absolutely love the look of it.

>fucking small solder contacts...
You clearly haven't seen the PS2 installs yet... ~26-29 wires on the smallest fucking points to solder. You may as well turn to atheism seeing that shit.

>retro looking headphone
It doesn't even have orange foam pads.

Well, a PS2 is 2000s metal...no shit the stuff will be smaller and all surface-mounted. This isn't a Colecovision here.

Yeah, I had a PS2 with a Matrix modchip, but it was not done by me, I would shoot myself before I'd do that.
But soldering wires to those little tombstone resistors on the PS was not fun, breath a little and you're fucked.

Armada E500 user here. I just finished installing 98SE,cleaning up the crap left from 2000,and customized it to my liking.

I installed some games as well:

Beetle Crazy Cup (2000?)
NFS 5:Porsche 2000 (EU release I guess,US had Porsche Unleashed) (2000)
Need For Speed II(1996)
Oddworld Abe's Oddysee (1997)
Carmageddon (1996-1998)

Planning to add some more,like Carmageddon 2,and other good shit.

I have no idea if the heat sink on the TMS 9918 is original factory. It probably isn't.

>so much processing power Saddam Hussein is hoarding them for his missile program
>that's why they're sold out everywhere

Saddam was hoarding Colecovisions?

I actually have done a PS1 slim install. Talk about anything but easy. I also have a chipped PS2 that I got for cheap (needed a new laser and new controller/memory card ports) and the first and only time I got to the motherboard I was near the point where I'd nope the fuck out of doing anything,yet I did the Romeo fix (it's a silver v9,thus Romeo fix required so laser coils don't burn out) and the PAL60 mod. (which I found out myself).

Looking at it,my guess is that's a v12/13 board. Still have one of these but I need a new laser,and I have to solder the fan to a USB port. Not sure if I should simply ditch the disc drive and just go for a USB HDD,or just fix up my broken 77004 v15.

BTW,have you worked on a Original Xbox HUEG? Those are by far the easiest system I've got to mod,and cost me next to nothing. (save for the cost of the console,which was cheap,and to top that it's a 2002 v1.0)

It is. Like most GPUs, the 9918 does get hot af and a heat sink is mandatory on those things.

Kek

Now you see why he had to be stopped.

Awesome, I gave my chipped PS2 away as a birthday gift, didn't really play the PS2 library much.
No, never even owned a original Xbox, I'm not that into consoles, most Xbox games had PC ports anyways.

Yeah,I got a Xbox and modded it just for fun. I still have it in working condition,though the controller is broken and I need to find a replacement one.

I have a few Xbox controllers but I modded them all to USB, they are really comfy.

Where do you get your comps from? I would love to get into this but don't really know where to start.

Local ad's, thrift stores, garage sales, recycling centers, asset disposals centers,
computer shops that sell refurbished computers might have some in the back,
ask in schools, also ask around friends or if they know who might have some.

Forums and eBay are usually mindlessly expensive because of collector and reseller faggots.

Awesome. Thanks!

yes but getting them for free or under 10$€£ isnt that easy anymore :/

It isn't that easy then 10 years ago, but it's possible, things like Commodore 64's or XT clones for 3€ still happen.
There are also still people having shit in their basements they want to get rid off, it's just pure luck if you happen to meet one of them.

That's cool! Glad you got it working.

Nope.

Is that all you have?

Apple //e user here.

In this pic, I'm using my Raspberry Pi and getty to allow terminal access through serial.

Here's the command if anybody has a similar setup (and a USB to DB25 converter):

sudo systemctl start serial- [email protected]

Then I fired up screenfetch and took this pic.

>floppy disks directly on top of monitor
Don't do that.

Okay, just put them back in their case because of you.

Kek
>this is now a speccy thread

The Pi has serial pins on the GPIO header too, does it not?

Better?

I guess it does? I haven't done much with GPIO on the Pi yet. I just went the easy route by buying a USB to DB25 converter.

Aw, it's missing a key

Yeah. :(

It's the six key. I've actually tried to 3D-print it, but I never got it to work.

... You actually just reminded me that I need to get back to the person that uploaded that file on Thingiverse.

>wang

How's your notebookshelf coming, /retro/?

Yeah, I know, only two of those should qualify as "retro".