Windows 7 Vs Windows 10

Gonna continue this thread.

Is it worth going back to Windows 7?
Currently rocking 10 like 90% of Sup Forums but there are certain things that are stupid.

What are some reasons to go back to Windows 7?

Pros & Cons

Shameless self bump

Don't know about you but I like having control over just about everything in 7.

this is a god-tier webm

isn't 8.1 actually good?
i mean i liked it

Yea man, something else that I liked about 7 was just how simple and clean it is.
Honestly I feel like Windows 10 seems a little bloated at times when going through the menus for example. I hate all the metro and ads and telementry spywate as well.

It's funny

It's not bad actually, not the biggest fan of the UI though.

10 is just 7 with more bloat, ads, bugs, forced DWM, telemetry and DX12.

If you don't care about DX12 (it's still irrelevant right now) then you have no reason whatsoever to use 10.
Wait another year and then things might be different and 10 might actually be less shit then too.

8.1 is a legit option as well, in fact if you don't mind having DWM always on it's probably a better choice than 7 at this point.

I hate DX12, and I actually like Vulkan better because it supports more platforms, which is better for all of us.

Fuck, do you think Forza Horizon 3, and other games published by Microsoft will be playable on Windows 7? Because I was actually looking foward to the titles.

Sorry to sound like a noob but what is DWM, can't remember.

Its ok if you use something like classic shell

Not him but yea but I don't like classic shell compared to the original, don't know it's hard to explain.

>Sorry to sound like a noob but what is DWM, can't remember.
Desktop composition aka Aero aka GPU accelerated UI.
For most uses you might as well leave it on, but in some cases you get better performance if you disable it and it lets you play games in windowed mode without vsync.

>rocking 10 like 90% of Sup Forums

>>>out

Ah okay, okay. Meh don't know if it annoys me or bothers me that much.
What about the other things that I was wondering?

you can change the style

Don't even deny it, half of Sup Forums comes from Sup Forums anyways.

Is it exactly the same? I also remember it saying Classic shell on the top of the start menu when you opened it up.

Fuck Microsoft... Like really. I hate how they are pushing Windows 10 so god damn hard, literally making you get it.

This is what mine looks like on windows 8.1
I didn't configure it any so this is stock settings with the classic with two columns option

it's GFWL all over again

I should have shown it like this

The windows 7 option functions just like windows 7 with the scroll bar

i went 10->7 recently and this thread caught my eye

i didn't like 10 because:
>control panel half-assedly split into two
>can't disable windows defender (along with updates and apparently dwm?)
>forces its "apps" on you (some can't be uninstalled, some are re-installed with updates that you can't turn off)
im sure there's more i forgot

i like 7 because it feels like i'm actually in control now
it feels pretty responsive (as in: fast) compared to 10 too

>Workplace upgrades their 7 year old computers to Windows 10
>Boot time is now up to 12+ minutes
>Takes just over 3 minutes to open Calculator from the start menu
And then I get people asking me why the shit they asked me to do is taking so long

>>Takes just over 3 minutes to open Calculator from the start menu
oh, that too
they made the start menu have random lag for some reason

Doesn't look bad mane, I would like the Windows 7 one better though (option)

Fucking stop asking this question all the time, it's really not that complicated.

>10
Muh flat UI and 3 fps more.

>7 No ads, no forced xbox and other microshaft bullshit, less bloat overall and more accessible settings.

Now fuck off

Actually you can disable Windows defender, I did it, search it up on Google.

But yea pretty much this, I miss Windows 7.
I feel like I am forced to stay though, because they aren't letting a lot of things like games release on Windows 7 in the future.

>Muh flat UI and 3 fps more

Depends on the game. CSGO is slower in W10 and I believe that's the case for all DX9 games.

Not OP but this thread is for people to shit on Windows 10, let it fucking be, they are actually pretty good. If you don't like it or don't want to be involved then just ignore it.

Apparently next gen intel cpu's won't support anything older than 10. I guess it's AMD next.

Call it windows 10 hate thread next time, then I'll gladly join

>windows

>I hate DX12, and I actually like Vulkan better because it supports more platforms, which is better for all of us.
Theoretically it supports more platforms, but in real life nobody aside from id bothered with it and nobody said they will bother with it in the future.

>Fuck, do you think Forza Horizon 3, and other games published by Microsoft will be playable on Windows 7?
Lol, no.

Yup. Makes sense. 7 years old performace for 7 years old OS.

The enterprise / education edition is fair.

Using Win 10 LTSB with a bunch of services disabled and antispywarebeacon.
Works gud enuf for me.

windows 7 is old as hell, and not that great to use on your primary machine nowadays.
the only downside to windows 10 is the forced updating, but you should be updating anyways.
also why does a gif about windows 10 use the windows 8 colors? windows 10 is just static blue, while 8 cycled through all the pretty colors.
the only downsides was that you had to learn keyboard shortcuts to make using the ui nice
but after that windows 8.1 was great, I'd use it over windows 7 99/100 times.

Conform or be relegated to the gutter.

Use Windows 10 because moving on with your life and not complicating matters is worth your time. The hackers steal your data by listening to the sounds of your hard drive even if disconnected from the internet. Install Windows 10 because it's best to not rock the boat especially when your time is valuable.

>Currently rocking 10 like 90% of Sup Forums but there are certain things that are stupid.

90%? Probably less than half of the windows users here """upgraded""".

the next time there's a speccy thread prepare to be horrified

win 7 for me, stable as fuck, simple, no superficial feature (at least for me), DX12 is irrelevent because Vulkan exists, the few win10 exclusives are coming to PC (see Quantum Break) and I dont support their "unified environment", cortana has no use for me because I still have my 2 eyes, 2 hands and 10 fingers.

>update checking on 7 bugged for more than a year, making your PC slower
>free "upgrade" to 10 period ends
>suddenly, update checking on 7 works fine again

I'm not the first to scream conspiracy, but damn, this is some coincidence.

FUCK WINDOWS

>>update checking on 7 bugged for more than a year, making your PC slower
me too
i installed windows 7 home premium sp1 + convenience rollup and i had to leave it checking for updates while i was sleeping
i thought it had frozen but it was done when i woke up

worked like shit for me after 3-4 months

Tons of people had that issue. MS finally fixed it just a few weeks ago.

Never change a running system

damn straight if it aint broke dont fix it

Start10 is much better.

Never noticed, then again i gutted a lot of random services to thin things out and free up some cpu cycles, WUA was among them.

Enjoy your zero day and drive bys ya moron.

>tfw downloading free upgrade while sleeping on a new machine
>Wake up the next morning
>Download finished
>Realize the free period ended

Guess I'll never know what windows 10 is like.

windows XP is the bomb

Somehow I like w10 UI, so I use it ironically with removing all botnet as possible.

Windows 10 has better UI
Windows 10 is easier to use
Windows 10 is future proof
Windows 10 supports DX 12 and boosts performance on old games as well
Windows 10 has Edge
Windows 10 is more stable

If you think that all these things I listed aren't enough and if you're still persuaded that "windows violating muh privacy" is an issue, it probably means that you should review and recheck your tech life. Entirely.

W10 Enterprise LTSB is the best version of Windows at the moment
>No "feature" upgrades
>No UWP apps
>No Cortana
>Can turn off telemetry, more update control

>Windows 10 has better UI
literally retarded
>Windows 10 is easier to use
literally retarded
>Windows 10 is future proof
literally retarded
>Windows 10 supports DX 12 and boosts performance on old games as well
literally retarded DirectX is the scum of gaming
>Windows 10 has Edge
literally retarded
>Windows 10 is more stable
literally retarded

try getting some of your old games put them in the disc tray and see if they install correctly.

You could have spent time on ricing your Arch file manager instead of shitposting here

They all work

not him, but Sup Forums arguing everyone
this place really is full of autists

>have to change an option in windows 7
>start, type what you need, enter in the right sector of the control panel
>do the same in 10
>the shitty metro settings opens up, never has what you need
>curse
>start, type control panel, enter, search the option

I never left windows 7 to begin with.
I will be sticking to it

untrue.

Why are game devs such absolute scumbags?

>Install Linux in VirtualBox
Runs fast

>Install PCBSD in VirtualBox
Runs fast

>Install Win98se in VirtualBox
>Install graphic drivers
Runs fast

>Install Windows 10
Jesus H. Christ, it's slow as fucking balls and all I'm trying to do so far is open the start menu and change the wallpaper.

>Windows 10 has better UI
better? It's unusable.
So many bugs.
Taskbar is missing sometimes
Moving windows to 2nd monitor sucks
Windows disappear sometimes, you've to kill the process then
Bugged window states. Clicking windows won't take it to the front sometimes.
Can't disable UAC because the fucking calculator and other shit software won't run if it's executed as admin
Searchbar in taskbar is fucking useless
No mouse4/5 in fucking photo viewer
Autostart of programs is delayed and executed successive. My 10 year old win7 pc starts faster than this shit.

Just to name a few problems of fucking win10

What the fuck are you talking about? None of those things happen unless you royally fuck up your OS, at which point you shouldn't even be using computers at all

You win10 fanboys are fucking blind.
"just install classic shell and it's like win7" top kek

>there's nothing wrong whatsoever with win10!!
How much do you get to shill?

It sounds like you don't know the basic usage of a pc. Why are you even here?

Good arguments. I'm here to call you pc idiots out.
You have absolutely no clue about usability.

And let me append to the list:
Windows won't save its position on shutdown. You've to close the program in order to save its state.
This feature is implemented since win8

> things only freetards care about
You know, maybe it would be better for the whole tech communities if you and your folks stayed outside Windows.

>Windows won't save its position on shutdown. You've to close the program in order to save its state.
What does that even mean?

That you have no clue about usability.

The position of windows like teamspeak isn't restored if you shutdown the pc. You've to close ts and start it again in order to save its position.

I still don't understand what you mean. Are you talking about hibernation?

No.
If you move a window like teamspeak on a specific position and restart the pc, the window position isn't saved. The last position of the teamspeak window isn't restored on the next start.
So in order to save the window position, you've to manually close teamspeak before shutting down the pc.

It was saved in 7? Why'd they remove it?

idk
It's impossible to google these bugs.

I rather use win7 simply due to the time I've spent using it, it feels comfy using something you're used to, it always felt like rocket science to try to use stuff on win10 for me while I was at an IT shop.

It was saved in win7

It's a good OS minus the metro and other touch friendly shit that serves absolutely no purpose on a PC.

How did you activate it and did it require running a closed source pirate KMS server?

>installing an antispyware beacon
See, Iinstalling anti botnet and spyware features, even anti GWX on Win 7/8, makes me want to stay clear from Windows. It's pathetic to even install that extra shit in order to evade my OS of choice's interference. Switched to Mint to try Linux out and so far so good.

The worst part about searching Windows bugs is the 10 pages of google results telling you to reinstall your drivers and reboot the computer.

From what I understand, there is only one major disadvantage of Windows 7 and that is the fact that there are known memory leakage bugs - especially on 32 bit versions. Now, if you don't use 32 bit, you are fine.

OH, and also, there is a really bad memory bug on Windows 7 if you play Dragon Age Inquisition that does not exist on Windows 10. It would appear now that developers aren't being careful for their Win7 users

I feel like Hiroshima during WW2.

(And no, I don't actually use this shit, it's in a VM.)

Just system restore, works for me!

>Windows 10 is more stable
bullshit

>Taskbar is missing sometimes
Not common
>Moving windows to 2nd monitor sucks
Disable snapping which has been improved so people can actually snap windows on multimonitor setups without trouble
>Windows disappear sometimes
Very uncommon too. Using any specific software?
>Clicking windows won't take it to the front sometimes
Mate are you running a beta version from 2014 or something? How does this even happen?
>Can't disable UAC because the fucking calculator and other shit software won't run if it's executed as admin
Not sure which -shit- software you can't run on admin mode specifically, but what I would consider important (as in, editors or the command prompt) just run fine as administrator with UAC disabled. I always disable it. Fuck, blows my mind you would want to run the calculator as an admin. Hold the fuck on, are you talking about the "app"? Are you seriously running non-legacy software as administrator?
>Searchbar in taskbar is fucking useless
I agree with that one
>No mouse 4/5 in fucking photo viewer
You can always use the old one
>Autostart of programs is delayed and executed successive. My 10 year old win7 pc starts faster than this shit.
There's a slight delay, I would assume on hard drives since I can barely fucking notice a difference on an SSD (I'm using windows 7 right now) but boot times are definitely slower on 7 -even- when you disable fast startup on 10

When I was a wincuck, I used 8.1 w/ Classic Shell. It was faster than 7.

They have it to, I think. I have no way of testing it though.

Wish I knew as well. I want something very legit though, heard that the only way was by getting from Chinese torrent site and using activator. That is not safe and could be loaded with rootkits or keyloggers.

>keyloggers
10 already comes with one.

>Currently rocking 10 like 90% of Sup Forums
You mean like 90% of Sup Forums that comes to Sup Forums for tech support

Honestly it's not hard to get the hang of, any Windows OS is easy to use.

How come? It's only a few clicks away

Have you seen our GPU wars?

Well this one goes to the Chinese.

I'm on Linux