Sup Forums always says that Macs can't do any real work and are too locked down...

Sup Forums always says that Macs can't do any real work and are too locked down. I believed it but then I saw this picture. Wtf? Almost all of them are using MacBooks. Those people are the people that landed the rover on mars.

Other urls found in this thread:

appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/06/nasas_control_room_flooded_with_macs_during_mars_curiosity_landing
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VxWorks
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleus_RTOS
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>taking notes during a PR conference
>real work

>listening to Sup Forums ever
Nope, don't even listen to this

That photo is from the landing room

>How’d it get there? First there was a bunch of rocket science stuff that we don’t really understand, but the landing sequence was guided and watched by a bunch of NASA brainiacs on their MacBooks Pros. Who says hipsters are the only ones that use a Mac?

So they were doing the glorified equivalent of streaming a youtube video?

Take it easy, and just enjoy your mac...

they have window/linux installed on their macbooks

A testament to the most well made laptops available

None of what they're doing actually requires a large amount of processing power.

What was the point of this post?

Mac/OS X in build on Unix witch is open source and very similar Linux, second with a root permissions you can do almost everything same as in Linux(It just needs more technical skills).
Also, Apple dose not share or sell its customers info for any party, even the police in some cases. so you could trust it somehow.
Also, last thing. Apple GIVES laptops for students and other governments related for FREE (Most of them are refurbished) .

wtf i hate nasa now!

that was from the Curiosity landing on mars
appleinsider.com/articles/12/08/06/nasas_control_room_flooded_with_macs_during_mars_curiosity_landing

OSX/macOS can't be used in mission critical or life-threatening situations hence it not being used in such situations more often than not by the EULA for the operating system.

That's why you see Windows or Linux or even UNIX in use on said MacBooks.

Oh Apple, you so funny.

>Apple claims OSX/macOS is the most advanced operating system in the world
>the most advanced operating system in the world can't be trusted for use in mission critical or life-threatening situations by it's own licensing terms
>the OS that you would expect - based on Apple's marketing bullshit - to be the one operating system capable of being so stable and dependable is by license disallowed use in situations where such an operating system would be preferred
>the irony is palpable

>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

>What's PRISM?
>How did KAT owner got caught?

>Mac/OS X in build on Unix witch is open source and very similar Linux
>Unix
>witch
>open source
>similar Linux

The amount of laughs just from those few words is practically incalculable.

Find me an OS that doesn't say something like this

Agreed. That shill is clueless.

Because Mac is convenient for people who don't want to bother with it too much.

>believing anything you read

That's not how it works. The burden of proof is on you. You find similar clauses in other operating system's terms.

It's in Windows and every notable Linux distro

Source needed. I can pull "facts" out of my ass too.

Wait, you mean you can't install windows on a macbook and you can't install osx on a thinkpad?

>Sup Forums hating on something popular as a meme rather than based on facts

gee, when does that ever happen...

mac:
>regular updates
>based on bsd
>software is well tested
>no dependencies on tons of packets
>not breaking the os through installing software based on different circular-dependencies
>not wasting time maintaining a system while only need to write some html and shitpost on Sup Forums

linux:
>it okay, just read this and other ton of stuff
to get to use your browser.

are you cucks actually doing something?
or just waste half of your lifetime so you can browse the web on free software which is maintained by multiple users which easily could get invaded by any intelligence agency as they are all poor as fuck

dont get me wrong i like linux and the idea behind it

but there is only one distro which is worth looking into and that is debian.

everything else is either poorly maintained or clusterfucked in some way you cannot use your computer more than for one task

Affirmative action at work folks. These people work in NASA and they use MacBooks. You can truly be born retarded and make it in this new economy.

>Using the terminal to send commands to the rover
>Using webapps to control the rover and take pictures
>Using Slack to message people inside NASA

Your move Sup Forums

Since when stands the N in NASA for Numale?

That's a conference room.
Their mission rooms are set out logically, not around a table.

What's illogical about a round table?

>Your move Sup Forums
I try no t to move since I am very comfy.

Apple in charge of EULA

Nice cat.

The following is an extract from a Standard Windows End User License Agreement (EULA). The EULA states explicitly that Windows is not to be used in safety-critical applications.

“The Microsoft software was designed for systems that do not require fail-safe performance. You may not use the Microsoft software in any device or system in which a malfunction of the software would result in foreseeable risk of injury or death to any person.”

What's the problem here exactly?

The important people at the back can't supervise everyone, they have to walk around the table.

There's a good reason why the mission control rooms are laid out in rows or around the outside of a room.

they using macs because macs are reliable and it important when u sendind billions of dollars to other planets, but u are right windows/linux is realiable enough for you to watch anime and shitpost on Sup Forums

u prolly know this because u work for nasa, sure kiddo

If Macs are so good why didn't they just stick a Macbook Air in Curiosity?

Checkmate Atheists.

implying nasa'S work is prohibited by the USA

really makes u think

you think NASA uses stock operating systems instead of custom made ones with completely different sets of goals, dipshit?

>nuclear/missiles/chemichals/biological weapons
do you know what a rocket is? none of these

>NASA media team
Wow, look at all those mega brain using Macs.

Like QNX and other RTOS?

this
i reacted to that picture, i dont work for nasa so i say anything about that, but the EULA says : "you agree that u dont use osx to any activity what is prohibited by the law",so next time think about that a sec then post ur shit

DELETE THIS

Unless QSS has provided you with express written consent, the Product may not be used in any application in which a failure of the Product could lead to death, personal injury, or severe physical or property damage (collectively, "High-Risk Activities"), including but not limited to the operation of nuclear facilities, aircraft navigation or communication systems, air traffic control, weapon systems and direct life support machines. QSS EXPRESSLY DISCLAIMS ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY OR CONDITION OF FITNESS FOR HIGH-RISK ACTIVITIES.

Delete both of these posts immediately

>Unless QSS has provided you with express written consent
Nothing wrong with that. But the point that it's used in safety/mission critical systems.

Re other RTOS in space, see

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VxWorks

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nucleus_RTOS

Anyone who has seen a BSOD or other error message on an ATM, self checkout, checkin counter computer, etc knows exactly why every commercial OS has an EULA stipulating it is not to be used in mission/life critical situations.
It's not anything to get worked up about, it just makes sense. These operating systems are more designed to crash than handle errors and recover, it's fine for everyday usage but not when someone's life is depending on it.

The point is that these EULAs don't exist because of creator confidence in the system, rather they exist to make legal matters easier for the creator if their software is used in terror attacks etc

what? you mean programmers don't write the EULA as a warning to mankind after months of binge drinking and spaghetti code?

>i dont understand that macos and itunes music store are two totally seperate things

>I believed it
>I believed a bunch of 16-20 years old NEETs with no real life experience in any field
If you come here for anything more than memes you're retarded.

Another thing I am sure I don't have to remind anyone here is that communication to Mars takes like 30 minutes (hour round trip) so when they are working with things as far away as Curiosity the reliability of their terminals isn't even a big deal, everything that will be sent to the craft will be sent hours in advance and then they just monitor the streams coming back. If anything went wrong they would have no time to send corrections.

Actually they're using Google Fiber so it's almost instant

When you have a job and when your time is actually worth shit, you kind of realize that the shit some imageboard filled with NEETs comes up with doesn't really apply.

>your

I work on the space industry and use Debian exclusively.

SpaceX uses a customized Linux for their hardware, ground station, development a.s.o.

No hipster macfags around me, m8.

What kind of moron designs text markers that BLOCK TEXT?

I'm spaced out most of the day too mate but that doesn't mean we work in the space industry

Android.

Those are laptops owned by the company, you usually get one because BYOD is terrible most of the time.
Probably have good contract for the macs so they don't have to spend extra time on repairs and other stuff.

Nice story

Pretty much this, not to mention when you're earning a pretty sweet salary why not just buy a macbook. It just werks.

the astronauts on the ISS have Debian running on thinkpads tho

Thanks Pajeet!

The rockets and rovers are all powered by linux

>Also, Apple dose not share or sell its customers info for any party, even the police in some cases. so you could trust it somehow.

RIP KickassTorrent