Is XFCE the best desktop user interface currently available? I think so

Is XFCE the best desktop user interface currently available? I think so.

Other urls found in this thread:

blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2016/06/13/gtk-4-0-is-not-gtk-4/
github.com/dar5hak/Numix-Holo/
xfce-look.org/p/1079592/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I've started using LXDE today and it is just the comfiest shit ever conceived.
I've just left it stock, it's too gud
XFCE felt too flat, I like the glossy, raised style of LXDE more than the flat styles of XFCE
Reminds me of Vista, or riced out windows XP

Only if you use compton because the screen tearing in default XFCE is awful

The only thing I miss is that thunar isn't saving view settings per folder and I can't get libcanberra to work but these are minor issues

XFCE is pretty much perfect

If only it wasn't based on GTK which will rot under their hands, now that the owners are known to be bashit insane.

Them deciding to port to gtk3 is a massive mistake.

It breaks too easily and I'm too much of a retard to fix it.

>lightweight
>customozable
>intuitive UI
>beautiful and useful with Whisker Menu
>has tons of useful optional plugins
Literally the best DE ever created.

I think porting to GTK3 is a good decision

Let's face it, GTK2 is outdated and unmaintained and when (if?) there is a working replacement for the festering pile of shit that is X GTK2 will be even less viable

If GTK3 proves to be a mistake that takes down XFCE along with it we would still have LXQt (personally I bet on XFCE + GTK3)

It's a win-win scenario

God damnit you xfce tards are getting annoying

Lumina

i'm on xubuntu 16.04, and there's no need for compton anymore.
u just have to add a intel config file under /etc/X11
now I have no screen tear at all

Wtf I hate xfce now.

comfy

yes, if you want something that just werks.

If you have some time and aren't afraid of Haskell then xmonad is the way to go.

Whisker menu is sort of shitty though.

Did the Xubuntu team fix the cursor disappearing and the other small things wrong with the release of 16.04?

And I dont think so.
/thread

Tiling window manager (Awesome) on the host
XFCE in virtual machines and remote desktops

That way the default keyboard shortcuts don't collide. Comfy.

post the config file

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "intel"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "TearFree" "true"
EndSection

thanks fa m

i also have "Synchronize drawing to the vertical blank" checked on compositor settings (window manager tweaks)

This is the best and comfiest desktop user interface.

meh I don't use a desktop environment, only a windows manager

if you use a window manager, file browser, widgets and a web browser you use a desktop environment

You can install xfce on a mac?

>that horrible discrepancy between top bar and window bar
windows 10 tier

That's cool, but what if I'm not on Intel?

>AMD Laptop
>Gallium works like shit in every distro I tried (I'm not talking about games, just basic stuff)
>Settled on FGLRX on Debian stable because
>>I consider having few or no updates every week a feature
>>Debian let's me to things my way instead of forcing their way like Ubuntu does (like installing FGLRX)
>>I like starting with a minimal system and installing only the packages I want with good old aptitude

Your setup looks comfy, maybe I have to try Xubuntu someday

>comfy

>personally I bet on XFCE + GTK3
>GTK3
With GNOME as it's devs, that only care for having their own weird-ass widgets and no stable releases, yet they don't even have their own shit documented? Good luck.

All good points but I trust the judgement of XFCE devs.
I believe since they created the beautiful and functional XFCE they know what's best for it.

Also Firefox on GTK3 works fine and if I remember correctly even MATE devs are contemplating in porting to GTK3.

Maybe GTK3 isn't so bad now?

While I do enjoy XFCE, and use it on both desktop and laptop, I do enjoy using Gnome at work. It doesn't quite have the customisation level, but it's certainly getting there.

all linux DE are garbage, also because most of its based on GTK, Qt is not really any better

What's with the screen tear meme? I've never noticed it, does it just affect muh gaymes?

end urself kiddo

no, it's pretty heavily noticeable on the desktop, mostly

on three separate machines, with three separate DEs, i still get pretty bad screen tearing by default. on intel, even with the xorg settings posted earlier in the thread and compositing on, i still get tearing just from browsing the web. on an amd machine, fglrx could stop it with tear free desktop, but now that's deprecated and nothing seems to work with the open source drivers. nvidia machine i fixed with xorg settings, but if i put web videos full screen, it goes back to tearing for some reason on the whole desktop.

>Maybe GTK3 isn't so bad now?

No, it's because they are hold hostage, because porting to Qt would be much harder.

Also, the decision to drop sane versions in GTK is rather new: blogs.gnome.org/desrt/2016/06/13/gtk-4-0-is-not-gtk-4/

fuck gnome

It's bloated and deprecated

>what if I'm not on Intel?
then you fucked up
>he fell for the amd meme

just like yourself

WTF I hate GTK now

Seriously, imagine if Linux was breaking the user facing API and ABI every 6 months, forcing you to recompile every library and binary to get it run. If you have a 10 year old, possibly older, statically linked binary it would work in every Linux kernel today in every OS with the same architecture that is using a Linux kernel

Why gui-toolkit devs think it's OK to break API and ABI multiple times per year?
Are they nuts?

Thanks for the link bro, I had no idea that things are so bad with GTK3.
I fear for XFCE now, maybe LXQt is our only hope

>what are themes

>WTF I hate GTK now
kek
>Why gui-toolkit devs think it's OK to break API and ABI multiple times per year?
>Are they nuts?
I guess the only ones keeping the GNOME devs in check at this point are the RedHat devs.

>phonefag
>calling out other people
Stop embarrassing yourself

>not posting from a comfy portable medium
I bet you take your desktop with you when you shit.

Yeah, but why when there's Aqua/Quartz?

Unlike you, I don't spend half an hour on the shitter each time. I don't know, maybe that comes from taking a dick up your ass so often.

Nah, the seat gets warm then I can't be bothered getting up for a while

XFCE is my favorite DE and I would use it if I didn't already have i3

I did a fresh Debian install with xfce and basic shit kept going wrong. Settings wouldn't save, for example. What did I do wrong?

Nice.

Force pipeline if you have nvidia, gets rid of tearing without the need for compton

You installed xfce

I'm using Ubuntu 14.04 (yes, I'm a noob. But At least is linux, right?). I'm tired of Unity and I want to install Elementary OS UI. How can I do it?

Dnf install @elementary

DNF?

1. add following PPAs:
elementary-os/daily
elementary-os/os-patches
elementary-os/testing
mpstark/elementary-tweaks-daily
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
install elementary-theme elementary-icon-theme elementary-default-settings elementary-desktop

Yeah in command prompt

terminal can't recognize dnf :( ...

Is it safe? I read (some time ago) that It wasn't safe.

I put XFCE Debian on my dad's laptop recently and it isn't kind for beginners.

My dad was like "I want to change my password, what do I do?"

So I assumed "Oh, simple, just go to User settings in the Start menu.
>User settings don't exist on XFCE Debian

So I was forcd to open up the terminal and do " passwd *username* " to change the password.

So then later he tells me the clock is wrong

So I assumed, "Oh, simple, just go to the Time settings on the taskbar or in settings
>You cannot change time in the ui on XFCE Debian

So I had to open up the terminal and do a ntpdate-debian command to force it to sync to Internet Time.

If you're going to keep using that distribution, I hope you're comfortable with working in the terminal.

it's not. daily and testing mean that it's unstable.
If you want safety and stability, just install elementary OS.

Can you recommend me a better desktop enviorment?

Been there, done that. I switched to Xubuntu for a while and am using Manjaro +xfce for some time now. Mostly everything works flawless.

xfce with xmonad masterrace

hell yeah motherfuckers Xfce thread, post Xfce things. Still on LM17.3, had hardware issues with 18. But you know, after spending some time with the disparity that will never ever be fixed with newer GTK3, I'm okay staying that way a while until LXQT moves along.

Forgot to attach my desktop.

Yup loved it so much I'm reinstalling it once I've backed up my drive, it ran very well on an old netbook.

Distro I used was mint

>I like the glossy, raised style of LXDE
>Reminds me of Vista

The menu bar is slightly transparent, you dolt

Post screenfetch

That'd be Aqua

Of course you can

Here you are.

That is so fucking ugly

It's certainly one of the ugliest desktops available.

XFCE does flat pretty well, much better than windows 8/10.

Also how can i make LXDE or MATE look like Windows XP?

Crop a picture of the windows XP taskbar and set it as the repeating bg or something. I did that in xfce one time. LXDE uses one picture for the menu button so you just have to get the button. Install an icon set you like and a wallpaper.

I'm about to install Xubuntu 16.04. Does it come with a working Xfce theme that doesn't have round corners or color gradients? I hate decorations.

Can you hit me with that wallpaper?

You can install Arc, Numix etc. Either by PPA or putting them in /usr/share/themes. I use Numix-Holo, which is a spin on Numix with a blue highlighting instead of orange.
github.com/dar5hak/Numix-Holo/

Numix seems to have 1 px rounded corners in window decorations.

XFCE one love.

xfce-look.org/p/1079592/
You can look around xfcelook and apply the theme you want for wm and something else for widgets.

>2016
>not using based kde

Why slave@slave-thinkpad?

Because my master won't allow any other name.

Jesus, the windows themselves look amazing, but why do the icons at the notification area always look like complete crap?

Honestly, look at it. Very large icons consisting of various styles creating a mess. Look at the volume icon, jesus..

That kind of thing is defined by the icon theme. I'm sure given the development status of lxqt, they are focusing on functionality over form.

Can I have that wallpaper, user?

Oh wow, I didn't expect such a quick response.

Thank you, man. I love forest wallpapers.

Testing

I'm not particularly busy today and 4chanx notified me.

Why hasn't xfce had an update in fucking ever?

It's kind of what prompted me to go back to MATE on my laptop.

Is this wallpaper actually saying what I think, i.e. picrel?

I don't read moonrunes, I'm sure the people who make these things and post them to /wg/ are ebin trolls

MATE is the best. Light enough to work pretty much in anything (there is a native MATE version for the rpi) and looks great with a few tiny tweaks. I'm actually quite a fan of cinnamon, but don't like Mint and getting cinnamon to work/look on Ubuntu exactly how it is on a stock Mint install is too much work.

Why fix what isn't broken? Wanting updates is what drove GNOME into the GTK3 disaster. Nobody wants to write their programs for their shitty design standards. Xfce is all about being stable and classic, while adhering to standards. Granted, 16.04 Xfce distros are shipping the GTK3 headerbars into the desktop. I've never found myself needing anything more out of my desktop though.

It reads as "you're [homo] desu", and I'm about 80% sure about the meaning of "homo" here.