Future of package/programs/apps management in Linux:

future of package/programs/apps management in Linux:

so far we have the following projects that try to offer a universal experience with package management in Linux:

-Flatpack
-Snaps
-AppImage
-Orbital Apps
-Nix
-Habitat
-and more

what do you think Sup Forums? are we going to get in our lifetime a unified Linux experience? or in the end Google will take out the desktop market with Chrome OS and Android?

>The difference of choice is the strongest weapon of Linux
>It's a double edge sword that could destroy the community

Personally I like AppImage and I am surprised that it existed for a long time and people didn't give a fuck about it.

Other urls found in this thread:

news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12209300
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Snibbidy snaps :-DDDDDDD

simply e/b/in :DD

jokes aside, what do you like?

Do you think we are going to get the year of the Linux desktop?

I am trying AppImage and it's fucking sweet. I can use programs swiftly. The only (big) downside is that things like services, desktop environments, etc won't work with AppImage.

I like .exe tbhfam

They're all shit.

I use the one that comes with my distro: Synaptic.

For Business:
The one that Companies like Adobe, Microsoft and Google support. They have been looking for a way to package their shit for years.

Pretty sure since Google uses Ubuntu/Gentoo and Microsoft (ab)uses Ubuntu that it will be Snaps.

For the Gamers:

The one that Bethesda/ID/EA/Ubisoft will use to package their games, because they don't want to go through Steam and pay Valve.

99% Sure this will be Snaps and Ubuntu is already working with them.

For the most part this might depend on what OEM vendors might ship on future laptops/gaming desktops. Yes people build their own Desktops but most just buy a prebuild machine.
This also might depend on SteamOS and if it will support them (it should in theory). The other distros appear to be in, so it might not matter at all and SteamOS might vanish over time.

So snaps.

Since snaps use AppArmor i would like to kill them with fire but hey, who they appear to be building a ruleset that resolves to AppArmor and SElinux depending on availability.

I would say it takes at least two years to really take off though.

All distros need LTS releases with snappy build-in and i don't see that happening next year, let alone Snaps being ready for it.

Or your autistic fucking OS can simply install the program like any non piece of shit is would.

Shot like this is why Linux is a fucking joke.

snaps beat flatpak on merit of name alone

Something with containers that has versioning or that leverages the versioning of newer filesystems like btrfs.

Cononical is pushing snaps pretty hard but I don't think it will make it outside of the Ubuntu ecosystem, I don't see nix outside of nixos and I've hardly heard of the others aside from flatpak who's trendy name I despise being a graybeard.

I think whatever Ubuntu uses might be popular for companies and muh gayemz that leverage Ubuntu like another poster mentioned but whatever RHEL adopts will be more widely adopted by GNU/Linux users in general.

i hate the idea of packaged dependencies so much
if a library has a bug or security vulnerability every package using it has to be updated

I don't hate it so much for security reasons but for efficiency. Duplicating runtimes in every environment that require them.

y tho

>Do you think we are going to get the year of the Linux desktop?
yes but the package manager got nothing to do with that. Seriously that's not the biggest issue since most software are available whatever your distro is. Only a specific software might not be supported on some obscure distro that a newfag might never use in his life.

And snaps is another bullshit made in Canonical that shouldn't exist. I guess working with microsoft gave them this shitty idea.

That's true, but I guess snaps will have the same fate like upstart.

>Ubuntu does something and create a standard
>Community creates a new standard
>People support standard
>Ubuntu embrace it and deprecate their own work

mark my words, something better will appear.

Flat >>>> everything

Your opinion goes right into trash

The future of packages in Linux: news.ycombinator.com/item?id=12209300

Why do we need something new?