Thats right Sup Forums, I have finally switched from Windows to Linux

Thats right Sup Forums, I have finally switched from Windows to Linux.

After exploring a ton of different distros, I have found I liked Ubuntu with Unity the most.

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/richard-stallman-calls-ubuntu-spyware-because-it-tracks-searches/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>unity

disgust

unity isn't free as in freedom.

You eill go back to Windows in the end. I was a long time Linux user who cared about privacy. I realised it doesn't matter that much at the end of the day, I prefer to get the work done and don't try to lose my time with other things.

PROOF

Amazon shit integrated and other social things like Picasa, Facebook, Google. Open Synaptic and see for yourself

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2012/12/richard-stallman-calls-ubuntu-spyware-because-it-tracks-searches/

You made the right choice op

Wtf I hate Ubuntu now

that amazon crap has been removed some time ago

I completely understand where you are coming from. I hesitated to switch for this exact reason but what made me do it was to learn more. What is a better way to learn about programming than surrounding yourself with an OS that forces you to learn about it. I want to learn more about the UNIX terminal.

You are so wrong. It just got deactivated

richard stallman knows whats best for us

My advice : yes, start with Ubuntu. I started with Mint years ago. See some man pages, install things with apt, compile something from Github. Try to make your way to Arch. Some people will call me a fag but I learned so much from installing Arch. You will know how to chroot, use systemd, the AUR, pacman is much faster than apt. Stay with Ubuntu for now but if you really want to learn something, pick a distro like Arch. Don't touch Gentoo if you don't own a fast computer.

kys

Be prepared for doing a lot of distro hopping till you find the distro you want the most. Try out all of them.

>After exploring a ton of different distros, I have found I liked Ubuntu with Unity the most.
Translation:
Ubuntu with Unity is the only one that works out of the box on my laptop, and I am too scared to change my DE.

Nice OP

Glad you enjoy it. don't mind the Unity haters. they just talk shit. which most linu users do

I'd just like to interject for moment. What you're refering to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called Linux, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.
There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called Linux distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux!

> unironically liking shit
Why

Well OP I hope you enjoy your new OS.

>autists always talking about how better linux is
>someone changes to linux
>autists start insulting them for using XY distro

and you retards wonder why everyone hates linux outside of your little autism club

Cool. Just so you know, you can install other DE's besides Unity without having to reinstall Ubuntu. You could potentially install every DE, and when you're on the login screen, you just pick which one you want to use before you enter your password and hit enter.

And the sad thing is, Ubuntu isn't even a bad choice.

It's not like OP installed some crap like Mint...

How do you guys actually try out different distros so easily?
It takes so long to get set things up how you like, not to mention getting drivers for graphics, wifi, etc.
Do you keep some kind of list or a script to install all your stuff each time you try out a new distro?
I don't think I could manage it.

Nah, most of the distros just install themselves and they just work out of the box on most older hardware, which is all I own. Only some of them like Arch or Gentoo require you to do any kind of actual setup.

You failed to commit.

True Linux users don't have GUI and they edit everything in vim or nano

ignore what everyone else says user, unity is very comfy.

even if i don't really like unity, good job op

What's this? Actual coherent and civil discussion? On Sup Forums?

Holy fuck. I thought I'd never see the day.

Despite all the hate you likely are seeing in this thread. I always use Ubuntu and Unity. The reason I do that is the same reason why I use regular Ubuntu over say Ubuntu MATE (which in many ways I like a lot better) or someone's own personal remix of a ubuntu distro.

The more vanilla it is, the more instructions that are written specifically with what I have in mind. When someone writes a guide on to do something in Ubuntu, and the teams behind Kubuntu or Ubuntu GNOME felt it should be done a little differently, the fellows n00bs like me to this linux shit are going to get fucked and frustrated.

The most I've done to 'rice' my Ubuntu is having the unity bar at the bottom, numix theme but with Windows 10 icons. I'll change away from the Windows 10 icons eventually, but it's taken me baby steps to get comfortable with Linux and I need every little training wheel I can get.

I'm happy for you, user. Stick with Unity and don't listen to the retards who will tell you it's worse than the others. No one who has more than 4GB RAM should use anything other than Unity.

le unity is bad maymay

The GPU really matters for Compiz. My laptop runs a bit like shit with Ubuntu, it's too heavy. The animations are laggy. Also if you want good performance a distro like Arch is better. I get updates for Intel like once a week, the one in Ubuntu is outdated shit.

What GPU do you have? Most of the time, if it's anything later than 2010 tier, you should be okay. The GPU I'm on now is a Geforce 310M (2010 Nvidia laptop GPU) and it's smooth as butter on 16.04 with the open source Nouveau driver. With the proprietary driver, it's even better but I like nouveau because it's still being developed.

Sadly, Nvidia are cunts and don't care about Linux.

Intel :( it's shitty

Ironically Intel should be okay since the Intel driver has always been open source. You might get a bit of lag though. Try maxing out your ram if you haven't, it usually helps if you have 2GB.

>I prefer to get the work done and don't try to lose my time with other things.
lol

What work can't I get done on Ubuntu? I'd love to hear this.

I have 4 GB of RAM. If I want to use Linux, I use just Arch because I get the best performance with the latest Intel driver, Xfce and Compton.

I'm adding this to my list of things that never happened

Try photo and video editing. I tried so hard to fully switch to Linux, it's not worth it for me. There is Gimp, Krita, Darktable, Rawtherapee, Hugin, Kdenlive, Openshot. Every one of them feels so unfinished and I had problems with all of them. I sometimes take like 400 photos and I have to organise and edit them. It's a big pain in the ass with Linux software, I lost so much time and when Rawtherapee crashed on me so many times I lost my shit. Kdenlive crashed on me many times too. Sorry but I can't trust open source software, I just can't. When people pay you and you must do the work, losing your time with buggy alternatives is not a good idea at all. For a simple user, it's enough.

>Unity
how is this better than Cinnamon?

What do you so for a living?

Mechanical engineer specializing in controls. I couldn't do my work without a POSIX system.

K then delete it yourself.

I understand. Linux fits your work. It doesn't fit mine. :(

>Thats right Sup Forums, I have finally switched from Windows to Linux.
Who fucking cares?

It has some important dependencies.

>Try photo and video editing
Don't do either so idc, meh.

VMs, or an old computer that you can just overwrite the hard drive with.

Oh ok then. But still i am pretty sure it wont reactivate itself. It's like a deacivated virus cell. The only way for it to start working is to have another virus activate it. Which doesn't happen all that much on linux.

Yep. Make sure you deactivate the data sending from Privacy settings, you will find it. Also it's a good idea to deactivate the unnecessary scopes.

>Try photo and video editing.
easy - Photoshop and Blender.

Photoshop yes, but I prefer Sony Vegas.

I've used Linux for over 10 years. Started with Slackware, eventually switched to Debian, then Fedora, then back to Debian. I'm now on Ubuntu 16.04.01 LTS and I fuckin love it. I even like Unity. I don't give a damn that it's babby's first Linux.

I don't have the time to fuck with shit anymore and Ubuntu just werks. And Unity isn't bad.

I'd use Ubuntu if the software wasn't old. A lot of packages in the repositories are old, that means bugs and security risks also less performance. Linux is evolving and I don't want LTS, especially on a desktop.

You don't need to use LTS. Ubuntu 16.10 is out.

Why the fuck do people like vegas better than premiere? Premiere looks better, has more tools (including effects) and gives you much more control over audio when you pair it with audition.

I never used Premiere but Adobe products are slow, from my experience.

But I don't like Yaks :(

I am the same guy. After 7 hours of trying to update Windows 8.1 without any solutions, I gave up. Windows is so damn shit. Svchost ate my CPU for 7 hours and Windows still didn't update. 8 reboots, fixes from Microsoft. Fucking nothing. I care about security. I don't want fucking Windows 10. If I can't update that 8.1 shit, I go back to fucking Arch. Fuck you Microsoft fot making a vital part of an OS so broken and shit!

Oh believe me, I'm not pleased with running an OS with a nigger name but hey, it works for what I need it to do.

Good on you user, Sup Forums will always hate whatever you're running just to be contrarian. Just use whatever works for you.

The longer you use Linux, the more you realize that the distro wars are stupid. There are always pros and cons to each distro but there's no distro that's objectively "better."

This. Also Arch is the best.

angrypepe.jpg

I'm using the same wallpaper on my phone, nice choice

What is that theme called?

It depends on what OP does on the computer. I do a lot of video editing and found out quickly that there was nothing comparable to Sony Vegas for Linux. Lightworks was maybe the only one, but I do not have time to relearn all the features that I have used in Sony Vegas for a long time.

Perhaps when I find a real job after university, I won't have the need for video editing software. Heck, I'll be making the software. Then I will switch to Linux for good.

oi fuck off m8

Never mind, found it. Theme is called Flatabulous for anyone that is interested.

Explain your logic without sounding like an unreasonable racist.

Windows Update has always been a problem.

Fuck you, OP.
I use Arch and i absolutely HATE ubuntu, mint, elementary and all other fake "(gnu/)linux" distros with burning passion.

The last time I had dealt with Ubuntu was when I thought I could get my mom into linux by installing it on her laptop. God what a mistake that fucking was. She was constantly coming to me with "Why is my computer so slow, user?", "Why did my firefox freeze, user?", "Why did my youtube video crash, user?". And each and every time I had to fix the problem FROM THE CLI! And why? Because there was NO GUI for those options in the settings or ANYWHERE. they were in the rc files (ie text files), and there was no gui for them.

Shit distros like ubuntu, elementary, mint, etc. need to get this in there fucking heads: Windows uses GUI, Linux uses CLI. End of story. No, you cannot create a GUI-only environment in linux. It is NOT possible. every time a problem occures or such, you will have to fix it with command line, and the problems will be plenty if you have BLOAT. I finally installed Arch and openbox and told my mom how to use it and she never complained again. Why? Because it just werked and on top of that it was blazing fast compared to BLOAT piece of shit that is Unity.

I'll say it again: Fuck Ubuntu, Fuck Unity
simplicity and minimalism is the only way something can "just werk" and ubuntu and unity are complete opposite of that.

You sound like a complete bigot.

I have major problems with Fedora 24 always updating, especially the kernel, which feels like every day or two at this point. It doesn't help that something hardware related breaks every time I push graphics. Plus, the buggy nature of new software is quite annoying as well. :/

Is that Unity 7 or 8?

when are you going to let your parent's know youre gay?

Your an idiot. Ubuntu has a massive backdoor, they care more about there OS being easy to use than the actual security.

I was dual-booting Ubuntu and I even fucking riced it but fuck that. I'm happy with my current OS.

Pasta tastes good.

Your mom has a massive back door :^)