I have written and still maintain some GPL-licensed code in my free time

I have written and still maintain some GPL-licensed code in my free time.

The software company I'm working for is in the process of merging with another and I was recently assigned to assist with one of the other company's projects.

Looking through the other company's (proprietary) codebase I have discovered they've been using my GPL-licenced code for years, literally thousands of lines lifted verbatim from my repos, including comments. The licencing and authorship info was removed.

I have informed my supervisor about this on Friday afternoon and there was quite a buzz about it, though mostly to the tune of "let's not make any rash judgements or accusations". Now I'm to have a meet my boss's boss about it on Monday morning.

What should I do? What should I expect?

You should expect the firing your ass.

Have they distributed the code?

you should contact the fsf, and have a lawyer present at the meeting

at least record it. and post results here

This.
/thread

This, watch your own ass.

Other than that. You should probably try to explain to your boss that if this is propietary code, this other companies have basically stolen company assets and that they should, if they care, try to fight it in court to demand compensation or something.

Who knows, I've never worked for a company so I don't know how that works, but maybe you'll make some higher-up friends with this, if you are lucky.

So you have hacked company's servers, stole their code and published it online under GPL?

You are screwed.

plagiarism and license violation and completely separate issues

actually the fact they used your code without attribution is more of a violation than ABLOOBLOO THEY IGNORED TEH GPL

however the latter would be good for you if it ever goes to court, a company will be very willing to settle when the alternative might be the courts forcing them to release ALL their proprietary code as GPL as has been threatened in some cases before

anyway if you go on the war path know that it will be your last job in the industry as you will become toxic so make sure the "severance package" is worth it

He hasn't done any of these things. He said very clearly his company is merging, so he was probably allowed to look to it.

this: my suggestion, go talk to people in some related channel in freenode (it's IRC, if you don't know what it is). Sup Forums sucks for serious stuff

herp a derp

Stop being a whiny little bitch and deal with it. This is what you get for using muh epic open sores licences.

Get a lawyer, contact the FSF for legal tips.

I'm not sure if I can afford to "go on the war path".

Nah, my code has been up and maintained since late 2012. It first appears in their codebase in mid-2013. And they continued to copy stuff after that, they're only a few months behind my proper repository.

It's GPL code which was plagiarised.

They don't distribute the code, just binaries.

Ironically enough I was put on one of the other company's teams because they have a shortage in personnel and my boss knew I do the sort of thing that group is doing in my spare time.

Well, it turns out it was that group that was doing what I was doing in my spare time.

What are you using this software for? Is your/their product a website, distributed software or a service. These things matter. The second is where stuff gets sticky. The rest are less of a problem.

All the people telling you to lawyer up are fucking retarded. So what, you MIGHT win like $500,000 tops. That's several years' salary BUT you also render yourself unemployable by suing your employer.

Binaries are distributions. If what you are saying is true about them using a GPL. codebase, they have blatantly violated the GPL and are open to litigation.

They're telling him to have a lawyer present for advice, not for suing

if they made money advertising the code as proprietary they're even more screw

do as says

also this is a faggot who knows shit about business

Theirs is distributed software doing some data analysis for chemists and plotting the results in a pretty way.

Mine is a command-line tool doing some of things their tool does. I made it when I was a grad student a few years ago and still occasionally do bug fixes or small updates.

Basically they ripped out my code to do the back-end of some of the stuff their GUI application does.

GPL is literally a Jewish trick.
>someone uses GPL code that is just out there, taunting to use it, practically nobody would notice once it's compiled
>someone takes the bait and breaches GPL
>FSF that's owned and ran by Jews can now sue breachers

And this cancer has spread around the globe. Soon everything will be GPL cutting software industry wages to rock bottom and Jew Stallman's Jewish henchmen will sue everyone and make trillions of dollars out of free labor.

Literally slavery and Jewish plot to enslave humanity.

This is a sticky situation. Don't make any threats, keep the conversation friendly but firm (don't be a pushover). You can easily get blacklisted from the industry if you decide to sue, so I wouldn't suggest that. suggestion is a good one. Let your boss know that they are using your company's assets without permission.

So who is the injured party if a GPL licence is violated anyway? Projects can have thousands of contributors.

Did they redistribute the projects with GPL code? Or is it all internal software?

>Let your boss know that they are using your company's assets without permission.

kinda limpwristed

the boss guy then says 'alright, so what'

what does OP reply?

Pretty much without the Jewish part. MIT license is better for people who want to produce truly free software.

Good bait.

No idea. I think someone said authorship is a separate issue?

Yes, it's software they sell.

I might write the FSF but I doubt I can arrange any help from them by 9 a.m. on Monday when my nearest meeting about this is.

I also don't have any experience with lawyers so I don't even know if I can get one on such short notice or how.

How many people contribute to your project?

a true jewish trick is using someone else's GPL'd code for commercial purposes while hiding the fact that it is Free.

>>someone uses GPL code that is just out there, taunting to use it, practically nobody would notice once it's compiled
>what is reverse engineering

>>FSF that's owned and ran by Jews can now sue breachers
FSF is not the owner of all GPL'd code, you fucking retard

>Let your boss know that they are using your company's assets without permission.
No, they're using his personal property (code) without permission.

Kek, what are the chances that you literally start working on a new team to only find out they have taken your code and violated it.

They one they copied code from? I'm the only contributor.

Well, like I said I mostly got assigned there because my supervisor knew I'm interested in the sort of stuff they're doing.

So maybe more likely than you'd think?

if it's Free why does anyone have the right to sue anyone else for using it and get compensated? if you set it Free and don't own it, what are you getting compensated for?

basically I'm saying things like GPL have no place in a civil law lawsuit

Oh ok then, so here is what you do. Tell the other company that you will waiver liability for your code being used under the wrong license, and negotiate to issue a separate different license to them for a fee based on earned commissions. There you go, legal problems avoided and you make some money on the side.

Get a lawyer, offer to sell them a license to use your code.

>I'm not sure if I can afford to "go on the war path".
You don't understand. The war path has come to you and you need to lawyer up to save your career.

What are you doing? There is a reason lawyers exists, let OP contact the FSF and let they do the litigation.

They are one of the most contending litigators for a reason.

Stupid american. The lawyer is not to sue, the lawyer is to avoid getting fucking fired for caring about the GPL. OP is going to be given a choice; stay quiet about the GPL code, or find another job.

all they have to do is leave the GPL license on it and distribute the source code.
Or you know, not steal someone else's code.

How will the lawyer help?

legit question, never dealt with lawyers

All this ignorance. /biz/ advice would be good here for once.

Just contact FSF OP.

bringing a lawyer will immediately escalate the issue

Protect your rights.
If you don't lawyer up they can just do whatever they want illegal or not.

Might try a /biz/ thread too.

>Just contact FSF OP.
I'm writing them but I don't expect they will get back to me by Monday morning.

He doesn't need to bring a lawyer to the meeting he just needs to talk to one to figure out what he should do.

The lawyer will help preserve the GPL code.
OP's company is in a LOT of trouble. The bosses will basically do whatever it takes to avoid facing the heat for what they've done, at the cost of the OP. The lawyer will allow OP to force the company to actually face the heat for fucking with the GPL, and actually either GPL their codebase to make it legal, or chuck it.

OP will be given a choice, keep quiet or find another job. The lawyer will help him find another job, by stopping the company from firing him, so OP can quit with good references instead.

It all depends on how much he cares about the GPL, if he puts himself above freedom then he doesn't need a lawyer at all, if he doesn't care that his company is breaking the law, he doesn't need a lawyer.

kek I doubt the middle manager OP will meet even knows what a GPL is

Once he understands that his company is basically on the shit end of copyright law he'll be a lot more desperate.

>Scenario 1 (Lawyer not present)
>you: You used my code illegally
>boss: So, you wanna keep your job right?

>Scenario 2 (Lawyer present)
>boss: So, you wanna keep your job right?
>*you get a shit load of money when your lawyer recommends sueing*

>Scenario 3 (Lawyer present)
>boss: plz no sue how much do you want
*you get a shit load of money when they bribe you to stay quiet*

Having lawyer is always better.

Then why do people let FSF lawyers handle breaches you fucking retard? Because GPL in itself is immaterial right and anything covered by it belongs to FSF.

FSF is a Jewish patent troll office + mafia combo.

>yes goi yeeesss have some freedom in your softwares yeeeesssss
>oh what's the matter goi someone used your code well let's get our lawyers ready heheh *rubs hands* just small fee to liberate it again hahe

yeah but basically OP has not much to gain from suing the company if I understand it right? If OP had a proprietary licence then they would be stealing from him and he could sue him, but if it's free software it's only the GPL being violated which has little to do with OP and hence he has little to gain from suing his employer

since OP has no reason other than FSF-loyalty and idealism to antagonize the company, I would expect the company to offer some incentive in exchange for keeping quiet, e.g. a raise

the problem is if OP accepts he pretty much becomes an accomplice, no?

it's free software not "your code"

the only problem is they violoated the licence

>render yourself unemployable by suing a criminal employer
yeah right. this guy would be a hero

>wanting a raise when he could actually be getting royalties for as long as the company uses the code

you're an idiot. it's his code regardless since he's the only contributor.

maybe to neckbeards on Sup Forums

no sane employer will hire anyone with a history of suing their previous employers, even if they had done some iffy stuff

If you are the only author you can ask them to license your code in a proprietary license terms of your choosing

why offer royalties when OP could be satisfied with a raise?

that's the thing, if the guy OP will meet on Monday has at least half a brain, he will NOT threaten to fire OP, he will be extremely nice but will offer very little compensation unless OP bargains for more

If you copied MIT code this would not be an issue

how would they even know?

>a *software company* plagiarising code against its license and then selling it
>iffy

OP, was your code the main product of the other company? if so... why don't you start your own company and sue them to death?

>wanting a raise instead of a stable paycheck that he will get regardless of where he works

small world

Get a lawyer. Don't go alone.

>it's free software not "your code"
>the only problem is they violoated the licence
No it's his code. He holds copyright over it. The GPL is a licence enforced under this context; OP is licencing the making of copies of his software under certain conditions. He couldn't licence out the software if he wasn't the holder of said right.

Try to call them too for faster help.

retard, I'm not saying OP should ask for a raise

I'm saying they will offer him one and not even mention royalties

I got fired out my job and some other stuff, never prevented me from getting a new job

Since you are the sole author negotiating a separate license would probably be the best option for you.

Also definitely, try, if possible, to find professional advice, don't just blidnly take Sup Forums's word.

OP, if I were you, I would go in and say "it appears such and such has happened". Don't assign blame, don't make any definite statements. The issue isn't going away - you can sue them easily for at least 7 years or whatever the statue of limitations is, if it comes to that. Don't let them make you say anything further about the matter.

Chances are, they'll come back within days with either an offer or with proof that you're wrong. In the meantime you should contact FSF and get their advice.

What is the maximum liability for commercial copyright infringement again?

Listen to this user, don't act hostile for no reason. And if you can, try to delay the decision for a few more days so you can plan better.

Doesn't it depend on how many people downloaded the software?

This. OP, just double license your software if they give you what you want. If you are the only author of those lines, of course.

Also, if they make you an offer, demand it in writing.

Fuck off tripfag.

Companies can use GPL code internally without having to release the source. If they distribute it as part of a product or allow outsiders access to it (i.e. contractors), then they're automatically subject to the whole license.

The license stripping is a bit iffy, but again if it's internal it doesn't mean a thing.

>OP writes code
>put code as GPL
>company breaks GPL
Time to be a jew OP.

"Demand" is maybe a strong word - Just say "send me the details by email", and go back to work.

Just go with the FSF, they won against fucking Cisco.

For fuck's sake.

>Just go with the FSF, they won against fucking Cisco.
no they didn't

there was a clear clear cut case of Cisco's violations but it ended up as a slap on a wrist and a small settlement

*undisclosed amount of money

Cisco wouldn't want the amount to be known of course.

Go back to watch tv neet.

Sue them for big money!

Do it, be a Jew and live in luxury

OP, don't be rash and don't listen to the dumb teenagers ITT. As a person whose biggest work-related fear is license infringement, let me tell that your case is not clear yet. The GPL does allow distributing GPL'd code as binary, as long as customers are able to receive the source code upon request. Just finding that they have used your code means nothing yet. I am not saying they are right, and it seems highly likely that they DID breach the license agreement, but don't starting acting like an offended manchild. Go to the meeting with a reserved and professional bearing, and just let me tell you their position. Don't say or do anything unneeded. Then, you may start thinking about contacting the FSF.

/thread

You sound like at the other end of license infringement,

If you fear breaking the license, then don't. OP is very right into informing the FSF and the company has good reasons to be scared.

If they didn't went for easy money, the boneheads at the company wouldn't be at this situation.

See /thread

kek

>all that routing

>OP is very right into informing the FSF
Not saying he isn't, but certainly not at this stage. It would be premature and will worsen the relationship with his employer.
>the company has good reasons to be scared
Why do you think they are scared? Why do you think they broke the GPL? There's been no proof of that whatsoever.
>easy money
>implying implications

If anything, OP is an instigator for writing work-related GPL code in his spare time.

>breaking a license a winning money from it
>not easy money
although only OP knows but frm what he tell they did

>OP is an instigator for writing work-related GPL code in his spare time
>an instigator
just stop

sue the fuck out of them

if you're competent enough to be maintaining an opensource package that companies are ripping off, then there's no chance in hell you're getting blacklisted from the industry, that's fucking stupid.

sue them and start freelancing as a consultant if they want you to work on your own code they stole.

Email the SFLC. I think they work pro bono.

Yes they do.

Als this

>if you're competent enough to be maintaining an opensource package that companies are ripping off, then there's no chance in hell you're getting blacklisted from the industry, that's fucking stupid.

kek in your dreams

companies like talent, but they'll take ten code monkeys over a problem employee with a history of suing their employers

>If anything, OP is an instigator for writing work-related GPL code in his spare time.

Says the license infringer.

A known talent is going to be taken over ten code monkeys. Going freelance is easy if he has the work.

listen, the people in charge of these decisions know very little about talent and a lot about not hiring people who rock the boat

I've worked in HR

Was expecting you said that, because no other people with less personal experience would say a fallacy like that.

You people should work more with the feet on the ground.