Linux binaries on Win

Is this true?
upguard.com/blog/microsoft-may-have-just-stolen-the-future-from-apple

Tldr
Microsoft is going to release a patch to win 10 that will give Windows users access to bash and will be able to run Linux binaries natively.

Big step for Microsoft in my opinion. But I'm not sure if the source is reliable.

feels good man

uh m8 you know this is available now right?

Tell me more about Linux binaries running natively on Windows without vm or terminal emulator

In the end it's still windows...

In the end it's still the OS that 95% of all applications are developed for.

FTFY

Where were you when MS fucking killed linux?

Implying you'd use any of those applications.

From the ones someone would actually use, at least 80% are available on GNU/Linux, probably even more i dare say.

now all they need is to hire one fucking 15yo GUI designer

First they disregard you
Then they laugh at you
Then they fight you
Then you win

Back to OP's question. Is I really going to happen?

As a linux user, why would you want to run linux shit on Windows? I can't thnik of anything I use on Linux I want on Windows that isn't in the form of a window manager.

Yep, they basically killed Apple in getting Web devs who develop on Mac and then deploy on GNU/Linux

fuck off frog

It not for Linux users

That wasn't my question.

XP-tan would be proud ;_;

Microsoft threw money at Canonical to teach them linux and help them convert the old unix subsytem to Windows Subsystem for Linux. Basically reverse WINE.
Qt stuff. Krita, Kden Live, Kate, etc.

It's for software development retard.

I suppose that's fair. Windows shell is fucking shit, I can't fathom why anybody seriously interested in software development would ever use Windows, so I guess that's pretty cool.

I still think a majority of people will just opt to dual boot though, since W10 is still kind of a buggy mess and I don't think support will be as good for while.

Now let me know when Linux can run Windows shit. Wine doesn't matter.

Step aside GNU/Linux, Botnet/Linux is here.
Now you can run the 3 Linux applications not aviable on Winblows AND get spied on.

>le software development on Windows.

This meme is shit.

Why wouldn't I want to develope on a Windows machine? The apps I'm creating will likely be used on a Windows machine.

Running Linux binaries on Windows is done through a software compatibility layer within the OS itself. Not necessarily native, and is more like a reverse WINE. So cry about it.

>I can't fathom why anybody seriously interested in software development would ever use Windows

well, unless you're looking to make $40 apps that patch over basic functionality lacking from OS X, you're going to want to code on a platform people actually use.

>linux
make
>windows
poo in loo install cygwin or 10gb visual studio..
and these dozen of packages to compile..
and then flip this switch so cygwin doesn't compile with cygwin1.dll..
then this and then that

>linux
>make
>process failed with 9 errors, 2 critical
>error parsing line 4: unimplemented trap
>package requires this dependency (will not be installed)

And that only means...Windows can run Linux shit...but Linux still can't run Windows shit. Linux remains inferior and unused.

What's your point, that is what Microsoft is trying to change.

Can run software without an emulator
Not native

Pick one

It depends on what you are developing it in. It's pretty common to write your software on Linux, then make the changes necessary for it to run on Windows instead. It's entirely situational.

Again say what you want about Linux, but there's no denying that windows is JUST NOW catching up to providing a clean environment. Powershell is a step in the right direction, but it's just now doing things bash and linux have been doing for fucking ever. It's not some dumb meme just because you can get around it.

You just memed yourself.

>I develope for Windows in Linux so that I can't test it on a Windows machine without making changes to it
Also
>it's still a meme even if they fix their flaws
Like, wtf, senpai, m8. You really made me think

Just said Windows runs it through a "reverse WINE".
It's funny, because there are some Windows applications running faster on WINE than natively in Windows now that MS is breaking off from legacy compatibility, or at least trying to.

It isn't native, and it isn't emulated. It's a software compatibility layer like WINE.
WINE (Wine Is Not an Emulator) isn't an emulator either, so you're an idiot. Lol

>he doesn't write portable code and then test the result in a virtualization of Windows or whatever

i cry everytiem

>lrn2greentextnewfag

Why would you want to run GNU/ Linux programs on the unstable, broken, and unfixable operating system that is Windows? It's taking something that's awesome and adding an extra helping of bluescreens, viruses, and disk fragmentation to it.

>will likely be used on a Windows machine

A lot of people on Sup Forums probably don't write anything that people would install on anyone's personal computer. It's all saas this and docker that now - shit that would literally be running on linux, 99% of the time.

A few people probably write tools for other people who do the exact same type of development as they do though, because they lack the creativity and imagination to understand other peoples' problems.

>t. never written a line of code in my life
MUH GAMES

>It's funny, because there are some Windows applications running faster on WINE than natively in Windows now that MS is breaking off from legacy compatibility, or at least trying to.
Not to mention, if you still use Win16 programs for any reason, the only practical way to run them on a 64 bit Windows machine is to use Wine on a Linux VM or dual-boot. The only other option is to pay $100+ for a 32-bit version of Windows just to run your old software.

What the fuck are you on about?

I said it was a good idea and it's cool that they are attempting to address the concerns. But considering it's just a comparability layer (I believe please correct me if I'm wrong), it can bring it's own set of problems.

Fucking hell most of the commonplace libraries exist on all major OS systems, so unless you are using something exclusive to Windows, loonix, or OSX, it's usually a pretty quick step to go from one to another.

>it's still a meme even if they fix their flaws
You're being a fucking retard now. You're the one who called the very real issue of software development on Windows being an incomplete experience a meme.

People have negative feelings towards Windows for how much effort it takes to get a complete experience. This is a great step in the right direction, but the negative feelings aren't just going to go away.

It’ll only make it even easier for Linux lords to bully Winbabbies.

>apps

And Winbabbies will defend this

It's called apps. What's your point?

>process failed with 9 errors, 2 critical

Fault of the software you're compiling. Happens under other environments too you dumb fuck.

>error parsing line 4: unimplemented trap

What version of compilers are you using? 15 years old?

>package requires this dependency (will not be installed)

Never experienced this when compiling.

They should just rename Windows to Xbox OS since that's about all it's good for at this point.

But then it sounds like video game... Normies won't like it.

It's as native as Win32/64 is. Windows NT was originally designed as a multiple-personality OS via the Subsystem facility. Originally it supported OS/2, Posix, and Windows (Win32) subsystems. OS/2 died off, and Posix wasn't sufficient to run real world Unix apps, so Win32 is the one that survived and is now the one everybody thinks of as "Windows". But it's still just a subsystem, no more priviledged than any other subsystem. Microsoft burnished their old Posix subsystem and brought it up to the specs of the Linux kernel used in current Ubuntu, and voila!