No one respects CS majors because their courses do not require real mathematics...

No one respects CS majors because their courses do not require real mathematics. Also people who study CS tend to be worse at math than math, engineering and physics majors in general.

Basically respect does not come for free and there are so many examples that show why you should not expect CS majors to be above an ant. There was a thread some days ago about this girl on CS and she was fucking talking shit.

>My favorite language is HTML5
Really nigga? Fucking web dev shit? Kill yourself.

>When I ask questions by professors get mad at me cuz I am a grillllzzzssss

Oh shit not that #feminism shit.

CS people honestly disgust me.

Just to go Sup Forums and ask them to post all their CS graduate memes. You will have a fucking laugh.

Nice reddit filename OP

Ok. I'll be enjoying my $150k job at Google. Have fun being a teacher.

>neuroscience
>kill yourself tier
Is this a joke?

>what is business analyst
>what is statistician
>implying math majors can't easily get any dev job anyway

You don't work at Google and never will though.

>neuroscience is below womens studys
>implying contributing to the singularity is less based than crying on tumblr as a job

Neuroscience is just another "muh p

>not using 4chanx to spoof all of your filenames to seemingly be from tumblr

>PhD in Math
>Any job I want
>$300k starting
Stay jelly

>psychology
>mid tier

A few girls I know went for psychology. Only the girls, guys don't seem to go for it. One's working retail, another a shitty office job that doesn't have anything to do with her degree, another is unemployed and seems to have stopped trying and the last is a camwhore.

Psychology is just like a default degree, if you can't think of anything you actually want to do.

>CS
Counter-Strike?
>>>v

I know it spoofs filenames to be timestamps between the last two weeks or whatever, but I haven't heard of this. Is it new?

Here's the hat I got from orientation

>psych in mid tier
psych and sociology are a step below general arts.

>medicine in low tier
nigga what

>astronomy in kill yourself tier
nigga astronomy is top tier

I'm guessing the cam whore makes the most.

They typically give that hat out to identify the people they aren't interested in...

But I got a job at Google with a BA in CS. That's 8+ years before your little PhD.
By the time someone in the same class gets a PhD, I'll have much stronger credentials plus a decent amount of cash, not to mention the cost of PhD program

I'm not saying it is better than mathematics or anything like that. But atleast "muh p

>Biology in top tier

soft science bro

Doesn't really matter. Without the math PhD you'll be working on boring shit like AdSense and web applications for the rest of your "career." You're a glorified code monkey that probably programs in Java.

The ones who have a master from a top-tier non-american / non-SJW uni tend to have actual knowledge. I study in Zurich and we had only one of those "hurr durr I'm a gamer" guys in our class and he dropped out after 2 months.

Calculus, linear algebra, discrete mathematics, and differential equations are not real math now? I understand it can easily get much harder from there but where do you draw the line for """real""" math?

And you'll be teaching high school algebra your entire life with your PhD in math.

This. American CS education is Leah Culver tier. It's a lot more difficult outside of the US and that's why Google, Facebook and similar companies are begging for more H1Bs.

Psychology was once a respectable profession filled with people who wanted to help other people get through their problems and make sense of their lives.

It's since been sacrificed at the altar of money. When governments misunderstand statistics and interpret "countries with high GDPs are more likely to have lots of college educated people" as "college educated people create high GDP countries", they pump money into universities and colleges to try to increase the number of college grads coming out of the country.

Unfortunately, not all people are actually smart enough to do post-secondary education. The result is that degrees that have no barrier courses in high school suffer from over-admission. The university gets used to the government funding and, in order to continue suckling at the government's tit, reduces the difficulty of those programs.

I worked at Google on v8 and am now at Apple working on the Swift compiler. You mad?

Ok, post a picture of your degree and badge at Apple.

No, CS goes in top tier if it's from a decent university. If you graduated as bachelor of CS at codemonkey institute of poo-im-a-loo your going to have a bad time. This is because you don't develop the skills to determine what language(s) to use and where, how to developing code structure/hierarchy or the mathematical problem solving to create efficient logic. The only thing that is taught is creating spaghetti shit code that compiles and sometimes works - basically how a non CS engineer programs.

Who gives a fuck if Stacy or Chad ""respect"" your degree? If your considering entering a degree stream and you still care what other people think you might want to consider just getting a wagecuck job and skipping the arts degree.

Slava?

Icy Hot Stuntaz

>math = respect

nobody respects smart people these days

Does Computer Eng. count as CS or as Engineering?

not technology

Bit of both

I am going to major in Materials Science and Engineering.

Is that a real degree Sup Forums?

Triggered computer """"""""scientist""""""""""

I use Python actually, and I work on infrastructure.

You're so ill-informed and butthurt it's embarassing. Google literally doesn't have any webdevs. People with experience with JS and CSS are actually quite valuable here because no one knows how to do it.

I heard from a coworker that we even have a JS "compiler" in Java, just so engineers don't have to learn how to write JS.

That's not true. I even slept with a girl because I helped her with some calculus. Math literally turned her on. She said it was that and my vascular forearms that did her in. Maybe surround yourself with better company?

CS is a branch of mathematics and CE is a branch of engineering. CE is applied CS.

>I use Python actually

Outside of the Tensorflow group, which you're not a part of, almost nobody is using Python for anything interesting. So you're most likely either in sysops or working on boring ass internal websites. That's dig ditcher tier work m8. Sorry about your life.

Most of the top innovations in technology were done by Physicists. Dennis Ritchie was a Physics major, while Ken Thompson was an EE.
While the founders of Intel, Robert Noyce was a physicist while Gordon Moore was a chemist.

You have no fucking idea what you are talking about.

> uses Python
> knows anything
> works on anything interesting

Pick one.

That shit was basic math before I even STARTED learning math related to my course.

>math PhD
>teaches high school
>makes up stories about working at Apple and Google

Anything that isn't fucking freshman stuff

The reason you said dig ditcher not ditch digger is purely due to the latter sounding like bitch nigger. Have fun at the HR quarterly evaluation at your SJW tech startup

In Russian universities in CS you will study a lot of math(At least in the good ones)

>Russia
>Good
I'm voting for Hillary just so she'll nuke those subhumans

Why would i need math if my computer knows how to do math? :^)

First, you're still shitting out of your ass.
Second, it's not like Python is the only language I know, it's just what my current work requires.

I work on one of Google's most used open source projects. I won't say any more though since those commits are public and I don't want to get doxxed.

who gives a fuck I can get a job the second I get out of uni in my country

Would you guys consider music production as a kind of engineering?

>Tfw chemical engineering major with a bachelor's in biology.

Literally realized I wanted to do chemistry 2 semesters too late.

No, it's more like burger selling

This is the kind of code that Python "programmers" with a CS degree from an American university write:

# round to one decimal place and
# separate into whole and fractional parts
parts = str(round(star_sum/num_raters, 1)).split('.')
whole = int(parts[0])
frac = int(parts[1])
if frac < 3:
frac = 0
elif frac > 7:
frac = 0
whole += 1
else:
frac = 5
# recombine for a star rating rounded to the half
stars = float(str(whole)+’.'+str(frac))

People like probably don't even see the problem with this and think the original author (Leah Culver) is a programming wizard.

>Women's studies on the list at all.
What the fuck is wrong with you?

Do you realize that all of your "arguments" are ad hominem?

Sorry m8 but your list is literally upside down

Unless you intend to slave for someone else's monetary benefit and be a good goyim, in which case you've got it about right

Good goy

I can't take you seriously now that I know you "program" in Python.

>No, it's more like burger selling
I wish, but no.
I'm NEET.

Why would they not be? Python is objectively awful so there's no need to discuss this civilly.

I can't take you seriously knowing that you're a high school math teacher.

>autism

I'm not from the US but what does computer science means to you?
In my country, we learn about instructions set, low level C, assembly stuff, automatons, file system, encoding image/video, etc as soon as the second year.
We go pretty deep in theory at time.
You make computer science sounds like you learn php, java or "how to be a code monkey".
In France we have low level diploma for that shit, but computer science here is like light years ahead of what US guys call computer science.

Why is Russia so much better than Amerikkka?

what if I majored in math and computer science and now I do monkey webdev work but it pays well?

>JS "compiler" in Java

That's GWT and it is absolute shit

The only people who care about what language they use are trend-following managers and basement dwelling NEETs.

You use the language the most people on your team know, or the language the existing project is using. Learning a new language takes a few days max.

Language doesn't matter outside of sub-10k line personal projects.

First year was data structures, algorithms, and machine architecture. After that you study whatever you are interested in. I took classes in database architecture, programming languages, signal processing, FGPAs, machine learning, graphics rendering, convex optimization, and some other stuff.

>You make computer science sounds like you learn php, java or "how to be a code monkey".

That's true for most American schools. The actual math part of most American CS degrees is incredibly shallow.

The few respected schools are the best in the world though (MIT, Stanford etc.).

Not really, but free decent universities are one of the few good things we have here.

Not really. Speed and correctness matters if you're working on anything interesting. Dynamic typing, and Python's implementation of it, are totally unacceptable.

Not my problem. I'm just concerned with hiding my JS/CSS powerlevel so I don't get pulled into webdev.

Shouldn't you go back to grading the tests from last Thursday? Your students will be mad if you take too long to return them.

>implying Google uses CPython

Which level I am at with a double degree in mathematics and computer science?

> algebraic geometry (incl. sheaf theory)
> topology
> structural graph theory, combinatorics

Working in ML nowadays and actually I enjoy my life. Am I a failure?

> Engineering alongside scientific fields
> Psychology, Linquistics, Literature, Economics are above Medicine
> Economics above CS
> Astronomy down there
that graph was made by a retard

All of Google's internal Python apps are using CPython and Python 2.7.

Your degree literally doesn't matter, OP is just a butthurt failure. You can learn CS if you have a math degree. You can learn math if you have a CS degree.

Eventually you're going to have to learn both since CS is really a branch of mathematics.

All this shitposting aside. Which of any of career fields listed here will survive the coming complete automation of the workforce?

>chemistry below math and memics

Yep, I picked up mathematics due to the reason you've mentioned. Picked up most of machine learning in no time due to my strong mathematics background. :)

But I do not work at Google nor will I every so my opinion does not matter apparently. Prefer startups.

It doesn't depend on the country, it depends on the school. And there are many good schools for CS in the US, there are just even more poor ones.

Women's studies. You can't code computers to be that stupid.

That's technically true and practically false. They do not run the same way they would on CPython.

> Medicine low tier
> Neuroscience low tier

Please tell me this is a joke.. Otherwise whoever made is retarded.

conclusion:
OP is a retard and butthurt cs failures should stfu and reflect on their own incompetency.

CS is profitable math

Why is Medicine considered a low tier?

Btfo
Looks like I'm staying in CS

>tfw mid tier

whoa dude i think your keyboard is broken

Practical skills > theoretical knowledge

all these people falling for this bait

It's not bait.
If you go on /sci/ there are retards who actually believe this. It's one of the biggest memes there.

How is the CS job market in Canada?

rwth aachen masterrace here

I dunno, I've given this some thought, and I think the hardest part about the Turing test is that people keep trying to make helpful and nice machines. Most people aren't helpful and nice, they're selfish animals with a thin veneer of niceness put on top.

Creating a hardcore, offended-by-everything, feminist bot would likely be easier and more believable than most of what people are trying now. Once you have one of those, having real angry feminists becomes useless.