You are given $10,000 and challenged to build the best computer workstation possible

You are given $10,000 and challenged to build the best computer workstation possible.
You are not allowed to skimp on the hardware and pocket some of the budget for yourself.
Your employer wants the computer extremely powerful, but as quiet and safe as possible to use.
The computer should require virtually no maintenance after it's been built and work just fine for 10 years.
You will be paid handsomely for your input for choosing the right components.

What computer do you build?

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/qXNBcc
pcpartpicker.com/list/PQ4Jf8
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>h-help me build my rig guys

Ibm Thinkpad with gentoo

Just buy the highest priced desktop from Apple.

we need its purpose saying its a workstation gives us nothing

Thinkstation P900. Done.

A computer as a tool for artistic and non-artistic work. As close to instantaneous computations as possible. It should be a pleasure to use, minimum annoyances, minimum anxieties, powerful and fast.

2x PNY NVIDIA Quadro M5000
2x E5-2650L v3
ASUS Z10PE-D16
64GB DDR4 RAM
Silverstone Tek GD08B
1000W PSU
2x SAMSUNG 3.84 TB SSD

I buy one of those cheapish supermicro barebones with dual lga 2011v3 sockets.
Throw in some nice gpu, ton of hds and enjoy a powerful workstation that sounds like a vacum cleaner when maxed out.

:^)

>virtually no maintenance after it's been built and work just fine for 10 years
impossible

Where my dual PSU setups and UPSs at?
Shameful Sup Forumsentoomen.

ez
use the money to rent out compute power as required.

These 2 have redundant PSUs
Supermicro barebones have some top tier redundant PSUs, 1.5kw platinum rated shit most of the time too.

Actually, the P900 has a single 1300W unit. Non of the high-end workstations from Dell, HP and Lenovo offer dual redundant PSUs.

What kind of software is it using? Is it heavily muktithreaded? Cuda or opencl compatible? One, or both? These are things that should be answered before building a 10,000$ computer goddammit. You didn't think this riddle out very well.

Seems like you're right.
Supermicro it is then.

sorry for potato picture, just googled to be sure.

Ya this is an important consideration because you might needs tons of RAM and storage (big data like geo survey), or tons of CPU power (virtualization) or highly parallel GPU processing (rendering), and you can optimize the build (even with a silly budget like this one) by specifying where you want to focus.

Antec 1900
3x120mm front intake rad
2x120mm top exhaust rad
1x120mm rear exhaust rad
6x Corsair magbearing 120mm fans
Dual pump, dual resevoir
Full hard plastic piping, fittings
All relevant waterblocks
~1400 USD

4xGTX Titan XP
~4400 USD

64GB TridentZ DDR4 4000
MSI X99A GodLike Carbon
i7-6950X
Corsair AXi 1500w
Samsung 950 512GB
6x HGST Ultrastar 2TB drives (3 Disk RAID 10)
2x Samsung EVO 1TB (Mirror RAID)
~4050 USD

9850 USD

Overclock everything to stable for gotta go fast.

>Liquid
>Reliability

no

Gotta go fast.

I think the I7 would be fine with a Megahalem, would it not?

Also, if this is a serious workstation, I don't think a single CPU is going to do it. I'd start over with a dual CPU build.

Realistically 10k is low for a serious workstation build. Also, no not really since the single socket would get performance equal to a 3k cpu with stronger single thread bolstered by only a (mostly) single ring interconnect for multithread loads.

It would definitely be sitting at a nice, stable 4GHz on a decent water loop.

But one of the conditions is that it works for 10 years without much need for maintenance. Replacing a part here or there is not catastrophic. A water cooling loop going bad is doomstatus though, especially with a heavily OCed processor.

Then don't expect quiet. Also 4GHz for a 6950x isn't that high of an OC. 4.2 is generally stable on air. You're looking at removing 1200+ watts from an enclosure of less than 3 cubic feet. Many professional workstations use water loops, and water cooled racks for servers are becoming more and more common.

Server motherboard.
2x Intel Core i7 6950x
2x Cryorig H7
128GB RAM.
256GB NVMe SSD (950 pro)
2x GTX TITAN X (2016 edition)

6950x is not a DP chip. There's a reason it's so much cheaper.

Mac pro

or maaybe xserve

3 macbooks

He's just a Sup Forums faggot. You are scaring him with your big words.

you cant put two i7s in to a single motherboard. it has two be two xeons.

logically, he'd put some insane 14 core xeons in there.

Is it a thing to pay someone for their expertise in choosing components and building the best computer that fits what you want with the limited budget you offer? I would highly appreciate some computer tech wizard to sort it all out for me.

What exactly do you need? There wasn't a straight answer yet.

Intel Xeon CPU stock core clock with Cooler Master water loop
Quad SLI GTX 1080 stock core clock
Max performance RAM for OS (Win 7)
4 SSD's in RAID O array
Fractal Design Arc XL tower
1200W SeaSonic PSU
Blu-Ray burner

It's amazing to see someone ask to build a workstation, and everyone posts GAME machines.

pcpartpicker.com/list/qXNBcc

This is suitable for everything except gaming. It's got dual CPUs, plenty of RAM, 2 8 TB for slow storage that you'd probably want to mirror, and an NVME ssd.7

If he's 3d modelling or video encoding your rig is worthless.
Xeon is generally worthless for anything except server applications.

>sound blaster z
Why?

$10k is chump change for a "top tier" workstation considering you can easily blow through the $10k on workstation tier video cards alone. But basically, come up with what you're going to do with it. Raw computational work? Dual lga 2011v3 board. 2 X 20thread (10c20t) Xeon CPUs. 64GB ram minimum.

Then just add storage as needed and get a cheap video card to output video.

Architectural rendering? Extreme 3d creation? You'll still need all those CPU threads, but now you'll want to be looking into a quadro or firepro video card. The really good ones are usually around the $3k mark if not more.

Then there is the question of WHAT storage you'll use. High capacity 15k SAS drives? Pure ssd? Sata, pcie, or nvme?

You might just be better off contacting a pre-built company, explaining your needs, and paying them. On regards to companies like Dell and super micro, they practically suck you off in regards to customer service when you're buying their pro or non consumer stuff.

>6950X
Wew lad

I have a dell xps consumer pc and I can say I've never received as good customer service as from dell

>
>What exactly do you need? There wasn't a straight answer yet.
Me personally, I'm just trying to build the best computer that is speedy, operates instaneously, feels light, hardware components are silent, the whole setup is proofed against future chance, and won't catch fire or explode or anything like that.

Opening software is instantaneous (video editor), video playback suffers no lag or jutters, rendering is mighty fast. Just basic stuff for an artist. I don't want it to feel irritating, I want it close to instantaneous as possible.

Give us exact video encoding and rendering software. It does matter.

If some guy gave me 10k to build him a pc I would hire 4 prostitutes to fuck him like crazy for an entire day and then I'll poket the other 6k

But generally:
PSU: Bequiet Dark Power Pro 1200w
CPU: i7 6950X
Cooler: Noctua NH-D15
Mobo: Asus x99 Deluxe 2
SSD: 2 x Samsung 950 pro M.2 in RAID 0
Storage: any HGST, as much as you need
Graphics: 2x GTX Titax XP in SLI
RAM: 2 16GB kits of Corsair Dominator 3200
Sound: Asus xonar essence one

Should be about $6000. That's all you will need in the next 5 years, maintenance free.

I'd say the computer parts got lost in shipping and print out a fake invoice or file rma on all parts that went "missing" and pocket the money for myself.

Why a PCIE sound card? Because I have a workstation mobo and the sound is absolute crap.

It's not a workstation you built, it's a mediocre server.

>using a pci sound card
>using a gaming sound card in a server

You can do all that with like $800 in consumer hardware.

I get an OSX tower and put the rest into AWS credit.

whatever old IBM server i find on ebay

12c/96t POWER8 CPU
Talos motherboard
128GB ECC RAM
240GB PCIe SSD
3x4TB HDDs in RAID10
10GbE NIC
2560x1600 monitor

Forgot a GPU, don't really know much about workstation graphics. Just pretend I added a FirePro as well

Also meant RAID5

I would just buy an Apple trashcan.

this question would be better suited to desu

You don't need real workstation components then for artistic work. Non-ECC and regular Titans are fine for what you're doing. You only need those if you're calculating out engineering models that could change entirely if one bit is flipped, not rendering CGI cutscenes for games.

He's doing artwork, not anything actually important, so consumer grade will offer far better performance for the cost. Art and gaming might as well be the same thing.

Never use RAID5 for an array larger than 1TB. Only mirrored arrays. When you have to reconstruct an array from parity for arrays larger than 1TB, you might as well not have a backup at all.

fucking this

and keep the rest of the money since the best workstation possible is built anyway

I spent a large amount of money on an i7 desktop with cutting edge components a few weeks after the i7 first dropped. Overclocked by 30% and it has been on 24/7 to this day.

Not quite 10 years yet but almost getting there. It is possible. Posting to you on it now....

How are those future proofing dollars treating you?

I got an i7 920 (x58) overclocked too and it's been a great cpu for all these years.
All I did was upgrade the gpu and this motherfucker is still a beast.

If I had to change to a new system I would go with it's successor the x99 architecture.

Though I may as well wait a bit longer and get the x99 successor.

that looks beautiful

RAID's not a backup.

30x fx8300+cheap mobo+8GB ram+320GB hdd+cheap case+cheap psu
the remaining money is then spent on the networking equipment

pcpartpicker.com/list/PQ4Jf8

>gaymer cards
>workstation

Create a cluster of 300 Raspberry Pi 3

Unfortunately a high-priced workstation won't do any of that. How fast does a basic skylake system boot from SSD? About 11 seconds... how fast does does a dual-CPU workstation with a ton of RAM, add-in cards, and PCI-E storage boot? Two minutes, at least.
Past a certain point the amount of time it takes for the system to validate all the crap stuffed into it starts rising hard.

Any program that is multi-threaded but can't effectively use the second CPU will run slower than a similar single-chip system. Any time you utilize PCI devices on the second CPU, it will have to pass data through the QPI bridge, slowing things down and making things like SLI run worse than a single chip system.

What you are considering here is an 18-wheeler truck, not an F1 race car.
Components optimized for speed and responsiveness are not always the biggest or highest-end.
A PC with a 6700K, 950 Pro and a GTX1080 or Titan XP is the fastest system most people can reasonably make use of, there's no reason to spend more money than that, literally anything beyond is in the realm of special needs. And if you have to ask, on Sup Forums on all places, then you sure as fuck don't need it.

I will repeat it again, a nice $2000 PC is just as fast as a $10,000 one IF YOU LACK THE PROPER SOFTWARE... but I bet you'll be installing Macrohard Wangbang 10billion NSA edition on it.