/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NHeSC_Ws5Ic
azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1022
azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2382
jomashop.com/seiko-5-mens-watch-snzg11.html
ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Mens-Seiko-5-Automatic-Blue-Canvas-Strap-Watch-SNK807-/191465383005?hash=item2c9439e45d:g:hH4AAOSwBLlVXXCN
azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=9468
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

When I was raped at age 9 the man who did it was wearing a GMT

He took my virginity and I cried and begged him to stop

how can I learn to see analog watches without crying, has anyone had something similar happen?

Anyone have a Orient Ray/II? I am thinking of getting a watch that has a bracelet since it's summer and I sweat like a mother fucker. SNZG15J1 on Bond nato is my daily atm, any suggestions for someone that sweats like a mofo?

Now that's a nice watch.

Which GMT?

I've been looking for a new watch for about a week now, and can't seem to make a decision. What's the best utilitarian automatic watch under 300 bucks?

The same one Castro wears :(

What's the best modern G-Shock to buy? You know, to look like I know my shit. I want something like the original DW5000 (a square) so any of the MasterofG range are out.

Thanks friendos

casio g-shock

The same one Hunter S Thompson wears :(

Seagull 1963 'Panda'.

Probably the most expensive watch I'll ever own. Bought it a few years ago on a total whim, had a little bit of cash and fell in love with the design immediately.

Unfortunately I've worn it... maybe twice. Most of my wardrobe is full of holes and covered in stains since I work an industrial job. I usually wear an cheap resin Casio. I feel pretentious wearing anything else. Anyone else in the same situation?

I've got my dad's old g shock from when he was with the fire dept, and I've got this trio of workhorses, but I'm looking for something mechanical, and a bit nicer.

Agreed 100%, its basically supply and demand thing. Anyone who says its not worth the price of admission($7k new, $4.5-5k used depending on condition) they are welcome to:

a. not buy it

b. make something to compete with it

Right now a Rolex of the few luxury watch that is durable enough that it can be worn everyday, this alone makes it one of the most desirable time pieces around. No there is nothing around that is similar to a Rolex for $1k, $2k or even $3k, if you think so then you are being delusional. A $1500 ORIS is a great watch and a better buy than anything in its price range but its still not even close to a Rolex, and its not trying to be.

In this world there are people that criticizes Rolex, and people that own Rolexes.

buy a mechanical gshock, you can find them sometimes with the hands

Replying cross thread to the guy who wanted the better shot of a 5610 on a zulu with the Shapeways adapters.

Comfy AF tbqh, famalama.

a seiko probably

>Right now a Rolex of the few luxury watch that is durable enough that it can be worn everyday, this alone makes it one of the most desirable time pieces around. No there is nothing around that is similar to a Rolex for $1k, $2k or even $3k,

Tudor

>owns Rolex GMT
>wears a 2nd watch
Why is Hunter such a fucking faggot? He's also a crazy gunnut republishit.

>i have never read anything HST wrote and think he's a republican

i see

GW-5000 > 5610 variants > all others

Those are both Rolex GMT's I believe.

Tudor doesn't have the polish a Rolex would have it also doesn't utilize 904L(85-95HRB) found only in Rolex but the more common 316L(

The POINT of owning a GMT WATCH is to NOT REQUIRE FOR YOU TO WEAR A 2nD WATCH. This can also be DUPLICATED by a much CHEAPER more DURABLE Casio GSHOCK.

autism
u
t
i
s
m

I bet you think at $100 D&G T-shirt is 10x the quality of a ten dollar t shirt

>why does 2 chainz wear 2 chainz

>
>The POINT of owning a GMT WATCH is to NOT REQUIRE FOR YOU TO WEAR A 2nD WATCH. This can also be DUPLICATED by a much CHEAPER more DURABLE Casio GSHOCK.

WELL THEN HUNTER WAS PROBABLY FUCKING AROUND FOR THE LULZ

I think it was an edgemeister homage to Castro who did the same.

You do understand that I was pointing out the difference between two watches right? If all of your answers revolve around calling someone autistic just because they have higher technological knowledge than you do then chances are people are not going to take you seriously here or in real life.

I guess he needed 4 time zones.

calm down assburger boy

ITT: people that don't know the first thing about Metallurgy.

Sorry but you are wrong in every conceivable way. The 316L is better because of corrosion resistance, sure the 904L is more scratch resistant but this is a fucking tool watch. ROLEX advertized the SUb as a fucking TOOL WATCH! YET MAKES A WATCH THAT IS HARD TO SCRATCH. WHO THE FUCK CARES?! Seriously a SEIKO SKX will shit on a SUB any DAY OF THE WEEK you don't wknow what the fuck you are talking about.

youtu.be/NHeSC_Ws5Ic

You've got it backwards pal. 904L is the one that is more corrosion resistant and 316L is a negligibly harder steel

Best GMT for the money under $4k coming through

not him but that's wrong

HRC measures hardness btw, I would shut up now because you don't know what you are talking about. Read up on the 904L HRC v. 316L HRC. Are you the idiot who keeps saying their SKX is better than a Submariner?

I don't even know where to begin. Fuck off retard.

>316L

Yea its shit but whatever helps you sleep at night, by all means.

The Grand Seiko GMT is my endgame watch but I can't justify the cost right now. Are there some lessor Seiko's with the same aesthetic that I should consider? I was thinking about this one for around $300. Anyone know if it's any good?

Whats the brand called of that watch with 4 chinese characters?

azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1022
azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=2382

Seagull Watch Co., like what the person who posted it said.

>not having a watch made from TZM
pleb

what in the world does TZM even mean?

It's an alloy of titanium, zirconium, and moly

>TZM is machinable by all common machining processes. TZM retains its strength at high temperatures. But at ambient temperatures, it is not particularly strong. TZM’s ductility is not as high as either carbon steel or brass. It is also susceptible to stress and other pressures that may cause cracking. When working with TZM, you can attain excellent surface finishes and exacting tolerations through a close attention to detail.

stop reading wiki pages user, its not making sense

It's not wrong. Part of the reason Rolex adopted 904 was because of pitting in the back of full time wear, aging Rolexes.

That and to be different

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

>stop reading wiki pages user, its not making sense
lel i'm only familiar with it in the context of a candidate first wall material for fusion devices. I just wanted to sound knowing.

wemb

In the movie Hail Caesar he wears this tank style watch which reddit says is a Waltham. Anyone know about them?

He also wears this octagon Waltham model which is kind of cool too.

>find out I want this watch
>$11k
fug

>Bremont
Not much different than a Burberry.

I got my SKX009 and Isofrane knockoffs in the mail yesterday.

Is there anything better than this at the price point before I buy?

jomashop.com/seiko-5-mens-watch-snzg11.html

Why would you buy a knock off of a $150 watch? Are you that much of a poorfag?

Buy it from here instead:

ebay.com/itm/Seiko-Mens-Seiko-5-Automatic-Blue-Canvas-Strap-Watch-SNK807-/191465383005?hash=item2c9439e45d:g:hH4AAOSwBLlVXXCN

You're welcome.

He's saying the isofrane straps are knockoffs, not the watch itself. Isofrane straps are usually $100+ last I checked.

>ebay
Yea no they've been known to sell fake watches.

For one thing the SKX009 is more like $200 now. Also due the the sale that was going on I only payed $150 for the watch and it's got a sapphire crystal and 4R36 movement both of which the SKX009 lack.

The watch is a knockoff as well, look at the dial. It doesn't say Seiko.

I can put some fake shit in the toilet and pretend its real, but why would I want to do that?

Is that the same watch though?

Yeah what makes it suitable to a reactor liner, is not suitable for a watch.
Don´t quote me on this but I think that stuff might even be porous.
As for the 904 vs 316 discussion. hardness only partially matters, the yield and tensile strenght are a big factor. Machining also becomes more difficult, this would cause the prices to rise even more.

And hey 904 is shit compared to any nickel alloy or duplexSS. The only downside is that it would take 10 times as long to make a single case.
azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=9468

I honestly don't care, I just googled "Seiko blue shitter watch" and it popped up. We are talking about $100 Seikos here, who the fuck cares?

>pissing money away when you don't have to
i care, which is why i asked; and you cared enough to respond. i just want to know i'm getting the best watch for whatever i'm paying

Who cares dude just buy it, fuck I waste more than $100 on a round drinks alone. Fuck are you that poor that $100 means so fucking much to you?

>ebay
>they've been known
ebay isn't the one selling it.

i make decent money, actually pretty good considering i live in the south, but that's still no reason to spend frivolously. i dont need a rolex or an iwc, so why would i buy one just because i can?

How is the Orient Mako II?
Looking for a solid diver up to about 300 USD

>fuck I waste more than $100 on a round drinks alone

>being proud of wasting money

Anyone here has HMT watches?
I just won my first auction on Ebay, a HMT Janata in 5 dollars. I'm considering participating on another auction for a HMT Sona and then maybe get a Luch or Poljot watch.

I hope your HMT actually works when you get it.

Bought an HMT Pilot off ebay. Looked nothing like the picture in the ad. Turned out to be a frankenwatch. The real ones go for like $100 if you can find one.

What do you guys think of the victorinox 241493?

I bought one, within 20 seconds per day accuracy
I bought it for a novelty and i paid about $60 for a perfect example.
I like mine, it's a neat piece of history.
Caveat emptor

Looks like a decent watch, but for $200 you can get a Bulova Accutron II Snorkel chronograph thats 200m and uses a precisionist movement. I set my 96B158 about 6 months ago to NIST time and right now it's about 2 seconds fast.

Is the G-Shock DW5600E-1V a good buy? I mean I realize it's super cheap so it's not that big of a deal, but I still wanna know if it's a good watch

no

I bought one for $15 on ebay but there was something wrong with it and it ran +400 seconds a day. If you want a cheap vintage tech watch just get a Vostok. At least you can get them new and they work.

Well I just pulled the trigger on an Orient Mako USA II.

sapphire crystal
in house auto movement with hand winding and hacking
screw down crown

My first diver, gonna put on a leather band/strap

Set me back 262.50 USD shipped. Pic related

>diver on leather

I like metal band.

I think it looks good. I have a NATO strap as well that I think would look good with the blue

But why would you put a watch that is literally designed to get wet on a strap that can't?

Just remember the watch may be splash proof bit the leather is not.
Do you want to be that guy that has to take off a dive watch to wash his hands thoroughly?

One of the shitters from the Swatch Conglomerate. I mean its okay if its a Seiko price. But I wouldn't get it for the price Victorinox wants.

Summer is pretty much over
Just get a cheap Casio on a bracelet, cheap and comfy. No need to blow the bank on what is probably a cheapo watch on a shitty bracelet. Keep saving for that nice watch user/
Honestly, as the thread's Casio shill I have to say the only 2 digital watches worth owning are the DW5600 and a B640W.
Multiband 6 and Solar charging are huge memes.
Your watch is never going to be off by more than a few seconds a month and it takes all of 10s to change a battery.
Yes the GW5000 is a really nice watch but it isn't anymore comfy than a Dw5000 on a nato.
Also for only a few more bucks you can get a Seiko turtle which is a much better watch/cost purchase.
Seiko 5 snk809. There are only 4 good mechanical watches in the under 500 segment.
>Seiko 5/skx
>Seiko turtle/2nd gen monster
>Seiko Sumo
>Seiko SARB
Anything else is either a shitty watch or a meme

>There are only 4 good mechanical watches in the under 500 segment.

I ended up getting a seiko 5 SNZG11 and an orient mako USA II
spent 360 USD total.

Holy shit, just how poor do you have to be to not spend the couple of extra bucks for multiband 6 and solar?

The whole goddamn appeal of a 5610 is that after you set it to your timezone and it starts radio syncing, it is a 10-15+ year fire and forget solution.

How strong do the lugs feel?
Plastic lug holes don't make me feel very secure

This whole post is a meme.

>Trying to talk shit about the engineering of a Sinn
Fuck off retard

Pretty good actually. They are 3d printed plastic, probably more secure than resin but who knows. I ordered some metal ones as well so I'll report on those once I get them.

why dont you use your phones? like normal human being does?
if you got watch but no phone oh boy you get your priorities straight

How did you get it for 150?
That's basically a better SKX in every way, shape and form for the same price

>why dont you use your phones

Same reason I don't carry a pocket watch.

I do, lol. We all do.

It's jewelry that happens to tell time and some happen to have additional features like chronographs and what not.