SSD on PCIe Card?

>In before he fell for the SSD meme.

What's the verdict on PCIe cards that can use an SSD? Any specific brand to avoid or get?

I'm looking to build a family plex unit and the extra SATA port would benefit if the OS could load off one of these.

I got the one in your image and havent had any issues.
Only got it because I ran outta SATA ports on my mobo. Only thing is it still needs the SATA power port plugged in as it cant take that much power from PCIE X1

Avoid kingston SSD.
Also check if you got mSATA

What's the point of that board?
If you don't have SATA 6GB/s?

Interesting point. What brand did you buy?No mSATA
The motherboard only has 4 SATA ports, this would leave all 4 unused for Plex drives.

tfw 18 SATA ports (10x 6 Gbps, 8x 3 Gbps)

The one I have and the one in your image is a Sedna.
I grabbed one on newegg flash for like 10 bucks (sale).
I only have 8 Sata ports on my mobo, all of which I used. So this was a quick fix.

I have a 500gb Samsung Evo on it.
When I boot there is a 1 second delay as the Motherboard tries to figure out what in the Fuck it's trying to boot to. But other than that I have no complaints.

Thank you Sup Forumsents.

Sexy as fuck.

It's common for PCI/PCIe cards, network adapters etc. to cause noticeably boot delay due to initializing their firmware during POST. That's probably what's happening here, since the device's firmware initializes it and exposes it back to the BIOS (which is why you can actually boot from it).

I will recommend a Sata Power Extension though.
I wasnt able to route a Sata Power cable from my HDDs and to the PCIe Slot.
Here's my guts in a separate thread. The Card is at the bottom PCIe

its fucking meme tier expensive unless you are on enthusiast level proffesional who needs it

m.2 pcie is cheaper and better

Excellent and nice cabling senpai-la-mam

Completely different configuration. The adapter is useful if you don't have any practical way of adding SATA ports (i.e. I currently have an SSD taped up inside my server because it's hot-swap).

As to why it's not just plugged into hotswap, my M1015 overheats under heavy load. If I actually use the SSD to it's full capability the raid card locks up.

>M1015 overheats under heavy load
now I'm curious

I have all my drives plugged into my Intel RS2WC080 (which uses the same LSI 2008 chip) because it made the cable management nicer ( is mine), is overheating a real concern on these?

Granted, mine are all HDDs and not SSDs but I was still sort of worrying. I have solid case airflow (got 5x 1100 rpm 140mm high-flow fans pushing air through the case)

what new hardware you getting?

Currently on its way:

2x Intel Xeon E5 2670
1x ASRock EP2C602

Already arrived:

2x Thermalright Silver Arrow IB-E Extreme
1x Delock 89363 4 Port PCI USB 3.0 adapter
4x Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition fan
8x 4GB Kingston ValueRAM DDR3-1600 ECC DIMM CL11

sounds pretty cool, you using that as desktop or a server?

Corsair fans are No gold desu user. They tend to recycle the air

Because the LSI chips don't have active cooling overheating is a concern except for 1U servers. They require 200 LFM of airflow.

>sata drive on a PCIe slot

wtf are you doing nigger? Get something that's at least m.2/u.2

>1x ASRock EP2C602
>No USB3
>Only 8 dimm slots
>PCI slots
literally why

most likely what he could find on ebay, plus thats why he bought a usb 3.0 pci card

Both. I'm running a single-user environment so I don't see a point in having a separate home server when all it will do is add bottlenecks and extra expense

So I'm going for the best of both worlds: Server hardware in a desktop case and a GPU in it. I run it 24/7 either way, and log in to it remotely.

When you're going for cheap 2x LGA 2011 boards you're not left with many options.

First of all, USB 3 in mainboards that old seems to be rare if not impossible, and the USB count is severely limited in server mainboards either way. So I just got a PCI-express adapter for it and said fuck it. (That was also a typo in my post, the USB 3 adapter is PCIe not PCI)

My only other major option which I could get for a reasonable price in Germany was the Supermicro X9DRi-F, but it uses narrow-style ILM mounting instead of square, which means my heatsinks won't fit - and all the narrow ILM compatible heatsinks seem to be worse than the silver arrows. (Plus, the supermicro was about 120€ more expensive)

It only has 8 DIMM slots instead of 16 but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff since I'm going for 32 GiB of RAM which should be more than enough for my needs. (I'm on 16 GiB at the moment but getting uncomfortably close to the limit at times. I don't expect I will have any issues with 32 GiB)

>most likely what he could find on ebay
there are plenty of supermicro boards on ebay.

>USB 3 in mainboards that old seems to be rare if not impossible
My SuperMicro X9DAE has it.

>and all the narrow ILM compatible heatsinks seem to be worse than the silver arrows
What heat sinks are you looking at? All the socket 2011 ones I have, use brackets which support both narrow and square.

>Because the LSI chips don't have active cooling overheating is a concern except for 1U servers. They require 200 LFM of airflow.
You'd be surprised what you can get away with. I have a Areca 1883ix card which uses a LSI 3108s and a SAS expander on the same board. Technically it has active cooling but only a 40mmx10mm fan for the SAS expander. Mine is sandwiched between the bottom of the chassis and a GTX 980 and stays under 90C (when the temp alarm goes off).

>40mmx10mm fan
Those are actually ~200LFM.

I can assure you its not. Also it is only for the SAS expander. No card LSI makes has a onboard SAS expander.

>What heat sinks are you looking at? All the socket 2011 ones I have, use brackets which support both narrow and square.
These are the ones I got, which are top of their class (140mm dual fan) by a substantial margin from the benchmarks I've seen on SPCR et al.

From the ones that support narrow ILM, I didn't really like the ones I saw (there are the small and noisy one with the thick fans at the side like you seem to be using, also some stuff from noctua etc. that I looked at)

>My SuperMicro X9DAE has it.
That one costs seems to twice as much as the one I got + the USB 3.0 adapter put together, here. I don't know of a good place to get server mainboards though, so I wouldn't be surprised if they were cheaper somewhere else.

5CFM at 40mm translates to more than 200LFM.

>he thinks that lil 40mm fan is like the blower on a GPU
its not, pic related.