OS X looks so fucking good

OS X looks so fucking good

Other urls found in this thread:

asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Shame the hardware is shit. I've been using a Mac for the past five years and while the OS is comfy, my processing needs have already long exceeded what this piece of junk can do, but I've hit a bit of a conundrum as Mac Pros are overpriced shit and use ancient hardware, while iMacs are overpriced, throttle and use mobile parts.
Don't want to waste time messing with hackintosh so I'll move to a Wangbang 1000 PC instead, unless Apple decides to make a desktop computer again before then.

is this the new DESKTOP THREAD?

This, I got an XPS 13 and never looked back. Can't believe I actually liked Applel shit considering how fucking good Dell is.

This, this and this. Hackintosh mustard race.

The desktop environment is pretty shit. There was a good article by a UI designer explaining why the DE was a good idea back in the 80's, but why it's terrible now. It explained why just about every feature about Aqua which distinguishes it from other modern DE's is a bad one---from the design of the dock to the placement of the file menu at the top of the screen. I just wish I could find it though. Can anybody link me the article?

article about the dock from one of applels' UI designers:

asktog.com/columns/044top10docksucks.html

>Apple Sales is in love with the Dock. You can't go into an Apple store without seeing it splayed across the bottom of the screen, in the very configuration least conducive to computing on a Macintosh. Why? Because it's sexy and it sells. It makes that bright, shiny new Apple look simple, approachable, and beautiful. It makes for a great demo, but not a great product.

The XPS 13 marketer never sleeps

same
dock is from the 90s though

a lot of these things had been fixed though. Here are folder previews for example

>dock is from the 90s though
The file menu perpetually being at the top, for instance, isn't.

>inconsistent shadows
>icons not aligned

I thought Apple's thing was attention to detail?

which makes having a large screen estate (multiple monitors or huge one) unusable. further confirmation that macfags are poorfags that only own a laptop

What's the alternative to the file menu being on top?

Is this a meme? Because I think windows looks better, and I hate windows.

it's on top of the screen
it should be on top of the window

you're a meme

Interesting opinion

Winners want to be on top.

arent xps 13s roughly the same as macbook pros anyway? it seemed that way when I was researching laptops.

I'd rather have my window controls on the menu bar than be duplicated onto every window I have on screen.

It works if you're a poorfag with a small monitor / only use a laptop. Otherwise you spend your time moving the mouse all the way up.

Why not both. Or either if you don't mind SIMBL.

your mouse/trackpad speed should match the size of your monitor, so it's not a problem.

Looks good.

LOOKS.

it's actually worse than that

And performs

OS9 looked better.

that's a screenshot from Mountain Lion. the next version Mavericks has a menu bar on every screen by default.

Have you looked into a hackintosh?

Can El Capitan be made to look like this?

>being this autistic
>wanting to align irregular, different shapes
Also, I honestly don't see what's wrong with the shadows in this pic.

Every time there's someone arguing against macOS on Sup Forums they're always using outdated information.

>published February, 2001.

Sierra fags.

Does safari support webms yet? Also can you right click->search with x search engine yet?

It's called cherrypicking and the whole foundation of the Apple hate on this board.

I've considered it, but I really want to make full use of 3ds Max, and don't want to dual-boot or wrap/vm, tired of doing it already. Also, Apple's insistence on using AMD hardware means no CUDA rendering for me, I'm stuck in the stone age of 3D with my fucking CPU renders and being unable to visualize the end result.

And you think having had this issue for years isn't ridiculous? Fucking Windows 95 handled multi monitor better.

It looks so inconsistent. Can't you make every application look the same? I thought Macintosh spouted uniformity as a selling point.

no el capitan is a pain in the dick to modify.
well i lied, you could install x11 and use a linux DE and WM and rice that to look like os9 but that would only modify gtk applications not the osx applications.

I think it looks pretty nice, but desu the best part of it is the integration if you have other apple devices, being able to message and take calls from my laptop is pretty neato.

That won't ever happen when every Mac developer thinks they're genius UI designers.

no webm support unless you do the VLC web plugin """workaround""". right-click and search with Google was always there, if you're asking search with custom search engine then no.

I think you mean, that just wont ever happen.
Show me a single operating system with uniform applications throughout. oh and inb4 cli-only operating system, you cheeky cunts

>And you think having had this issue for years isn't ridiculous?
if that's your point then write that instead of:
>it's actually worse than that
if you have to resort to untrue bullshit to hate on Apple then you're the problem.

you can if you disable System Integrity Protection, but the developer of Flavours gave up for some reason and there's no replacement so you really can't until someone replaces it.

I am not speaking about websites, though that could be easily handled with CSS in the browser, but of the official applications and the way they present their content.

>oh and inb4 cli-only operating system, you cheeky cunts
What is wrong with that? I am not some child who needs pictographs to get my work and play done.

>Flavours gave up for some reason and there's no replacement so you really can't until someone replaces it.

yeah that's why i say its a pain in the dick, you could do it, but you'd have to have some actual skills, not just ricing skills.

the official applications are all uniform though? Apple can't control what a third party dev wants their application to look like, well they could but everyone would shit down their throat for it.

theres nothing wrong with that it's just a shitty example of uniform ui because there is no real ui in the modern sense, so if you were to use it as an example of an operating system where every application looks the same you'd just be being a cunt.

Spaces was the best. Then they dumbed it down with mission control.

If I wouldn't have to buy a mac as well I'd probably dualboot it with my lfs system.

how did spaces work, i didn't start using osx until yosemite.

Same with Linux, Windows, Android, iOS etc Mainly because one side is using one the time and they have to use screenshots that had from the last time they used the other.

Yeah of course it was bad but using past inconveniences to build an argument is silly.

Windows looks better at this point. El Capitan feels like it's trying to copy Aero years after it was relevant.

Ironic shitposting is still shitposting.

Fits' Law, bro.

>Windows looks better at this point

[citation needed]

Im serious. OSX today is a very bland, old looking OS

>[citation needed]

here you go

> huge shadows and gradients everywhere

yeah pretty much stuck in the early 2000s

Slow down there buddy, it seems you didn't read this

Don't see how that's relevant. The old version of OSX looks almost exactly the same as El Capitan does today, just with more shitty transparency

They look completely different actually. You might wanna get your eyes checked junior.

by that token, windows 10 looks like windows 95, it's the same layout just different textures XD

though now i've said that i think i actually prefer the classic windows theme so more fool me, eh?

> muh rounded corners
what a waste of space

Still looks better than El Capitan

you better be meming

that's personal preference, i can't argue that with you, personally i don't mind the look of el capitan.

but i absolutely loathe what M$ has done to windows since 8, at least regarding the ui. If I were choosing an OS solely on looks (as if i were a fucking moron) I'd take el capitan over win 8 or win 10.

This is a better interface. No gimmicks and very functional. No distracting gradients, shadows, transparency.

Thanks for the worthless opinion.

Not going to argue personal preference, but whining about rounded corners for screen real estate is actually fucking retarded.

Any other opinion you have go ahead and keep it its of no concern to me.

>oh no, look at those 10 pixels I cant use!!

>maximize paint on windows 95
>border is still there

>being so easily triggered by rational arguments

Windows 95 did more with 640x480 than Mac OS can do with 2000+ pixels wide

this

I like the UI, but personally don't care of OSX for daily use.

What can't you do in it that you do regularly in your other OS?

>rational arguments
>Not a single argument

Merge directories recursively when there's a conflict when copying
Have non-shit window management - dock is garbage, no window snapping, no alt-to-drag etc

>Merge directories recursively when there's a conflict when copying
Don't know about this one, but you can always use cp with --no-clobber

>Have non-shit window management - no window snapping, no alt-to-drag etc

You can window snap since el capitan. Hold down the green button and choose a corner. Not sure what exactly alt drag does though (But you can copy anything anywhere, for example: straight from the browser into a document etc. its pretty cool)

>dock is garbage
Now this is just opinion tier, it is very similar to Windows desu

>You can window snap since el capitan. Hold down the green button and choose a corner. Not sure what exactly alt drag does though (But you can copy anything anywhere, for example: straight from the browser into a document etc. its pretty cool)
That's not window snapping you retard. It's just split screen that lets you assign exactly TWO (2) applications on one desktop. And it fucking sucks, it's glitchy as hell when you use it with anything else but standard applications (Finder, Safari, Mail etc).

Nah, to make OS X usable you really need to install some third party software.

I remember losing data that way when I was forced to work on a Mac. No other OS, no other file manager I've ever used lets you lose data like this.

Also, their backup system was not working for months and they did not know.
Since then, I've learned not to trust macfags with technology.

>cp with --no-clobber
That doesn't overwrite the files, and doesn't let you individually pick which files to overwrite. You have to use rsync or something. So why the fuck can't I do this in the graphical file manager? Isn't mac supposed to be easy? Do you macfags never merge directories?

>You can window snap since el capitan.
See . It's shit. Snapping is a basic fucking feature these days on any OS, except mac for some reason.

>Now this is just opinion tier, it is very similar to Windows desu
It's NOT similar to anything, it's in its own tier of shittiness and I've seen even most macfags agree on this.

macOS is a Liberal Arts & Social Media OS

for Gender Studies majors

Define "good". Be specific.

They're significantly worse. Anyone that uses an XPS 13 can safely be ignored.

This is beatiful

Hmm I see, I do recall that when I was looking the macbook pro seemed like the best ultra-book option, that was at the end of last year. It wasn't even really close. Every memer likes to compare macbook pros to non-ultrabooks with dedicated gpus and bullshit like that though, or whine theyre expensive while comparing them to laptops with 1080p screens made of plastic and dumb shit like that.

I didn't end up buying any laptop, but if i did it wouldve been the macbook pro 13inch retina.

Started using OS X at a new job over the past year. Some things about it are nicer than my Xubuntu install, and there are a lot of things nicer than Windows. But my biggest pet peeve is that you need a mouse.

Unlike in Windows, you can't use the keyboard to navigate around the interface. The file explorer in OS X is awful too. Laggy and missing features like an address bar or cut functionality. Quite a few things on OS X feel very sluggish, and I think a lot of it is down to how it insists on animating every action.

Still, overall it's better as a development machine (that I didn't pay for). I have no idea how end-users justify it though, I swear it's Stockholm syndrome.

mouse navigation is the preferred method for end-users, you're a particular power user case. The lack of cut is annoying but iirc there is still a way to cut and paste, i forget how you do it though.. smash it into google if its really annoying you.

The animations are fine for me, really snappy on my device anyway, not as quick as i3 or something, but no slower than using windows. The file explorer is notoriously dogshit though, ill give you that.

> you're a particular power user case

Mac OS 10 is for tech illiterates, thanks for confirming

>cut functionality
CMD-C, then Option CMD-V

hardly, he just has a particular power-user workflow that isn't compatible, there are plenty of powerusers who fit comfortably within the constraints of osx, such as video and music production professionals. You could call them tech illiterates compared to a programmer or a sys-admin, but theyre still using the best tool for the job to the fullest extent.

>Unlike in Windows, you can't use the keyboard to navigate around the interface
Yeah you can.

>Unlike in Windows, you can't use the keyboard to navigate around the interface. The file explorer in OS X is awful too. Laggy and missing features like an address bar or cut functionality. Quite a few things on OS X feel very sluggish, and I think a lot of it is down to how it insists on animating every action.

1. you can use keyboard to fully navigate the UI
2. my finder doesn't lag and there is address bar as well as cut/move functionality
3. you can disable the animations, webm for reference (removing the Mission Control animation)

do you know if you can just speed up the animations? i kinda like em, but they are a bit slow, id rather keep them than remove them though

Really? How do I connect my bluetooth mouse without using the mouse? I'm genuinely curious because I often run into this problem.

Oh maybe I'm just a retard in that case. How do I change which button is selected in a modal? On Winblows I'd use arrow keys or Tab or Ctrl+Tab or Alt+letter.

And how would I select a specific window? Cmd+Tab changes programs, not windows, so that's a pain.

>And how would I select a specific window?
Cmd+^. It depends on your keyboard though, you can look it up in preferences. On American keyboards it's Cmd+^. On mine it's Cmd+`. You can set it to anything you like though.

>How do I change which button is selected in a modal?
Tab? Arrow keys?

Come on, retard.

i miss how macOS felt like
so i constantly try to make something else look like it