Ubuntu or Fedora?

Go!

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10990664
strawpoll.me/10990789/
strawpoll.me/10990789/r
twitter.com/AnonBabble

linux is trash (gnu too)

just remember while you have this inconsequential argument that you are here forever and there is no escape

Ubuntu MATE

LoL

Let me have my fun

Hello

But MATE

I don't know about MATE

It is not GNOME 2

It is a secondary DE, doomed to play catch up to the real big players, namely GNOME

What about that, huh

honestly i cannot stand ubuntu and its tracking, the fat gnome layout is too much and gets in the way far more than it is useful. currently running linux mint sarah, usually go for a more complex distro but was looking for an easy install, i must say mint has polished itself up quite a bit since last i looked. also so much more customization and compatibility with cinnamon over mate i have found from exp.

I thought the whole point of Mate was not to catch up?

hmm interesting

I think what I mean is staying on track with evolving technology that is driven by other groups. GTK3, wayland

I am aware this is F U D but with nothing else to go on F U D is decisive

what
tracking
are you
talking about

If mint is reskinned ubuntu why isn't there mint tracking too

if you are running Ubuntu type privacy in search, you will see Ubuntu is partnered with amazon to track search results, this in conclusion is why the tracking is not in mint. mint does not track searches within the os and sends the data anywhere.

Oh, the amazon thing . Have you used google lately? The tracking is a basic part of the internet now days. But ok its nice when your freedom OS doesn't explicitly do it sure

lol i totally agree you can basically not use the Internet without being tracked but i like to attempt to protect my privacy.

Sure. I agree with the fat gnome thing but its still what I use

why

ubuntu will track you less than any of todays Microsoft OSes so koodos, also u can disable the amazon tracking by doing a search for privacy and configuring things to your liking.

Xubuntu

hello

I agree

I am here to see if I should switch from Fedora to Ubuntu. I have no issue with the amazon stuff, I am aware you can turn it off and if the free operating system wants to try tomake money with some optional advertising, why shouldn't they.

My problem with Ubuntu is I've had problems in the past with Unity being glitchy - simple window management stuff, when I don't have the same problems with GNOME. However, I think Ubuntu/Unity is the most popular, defaultLinux set up so I kind of want to use it based on that.

I know there are others DEs etc but I want defaults

Pajeet doesn't know how to use it.

Fedora has literally ZERO reasons to be chosen under ANY circumstances. It's the buggiest piece of shit I have EVER experienced in my life.

*buntu's fine but I just came to this thread to give you a friendly heads up. Bye, OP

Welp, im currently using Fedora on my laptop, Ubuntu on my work desktop, and ubuntu on servers.

Fedora is nice in that it keeps more up to date with packages, Gnome is more up to date, the kernel is newer, things update more inline with source. Ubuntu lags a bit behind and this is sometimes an annoyance when you want the nice new features of things but you have to go out of your way to get them.

Im not much of a fan of YUM/DNF though, the process of them seems more cumbersome than apt. I don't know if its baby duck syndrome, but apt-get install feels more comfortable to me.

Ubuntu is also more lax on how free your OS really is. Fedora has some missing software I've found, and its mostly because of freedom issues IIRC. This may include drivers and such but ive gone out of my way to fuck off any hardware that isnt friendly with linux to begin with.

Ubuntu feels like you can get more software easier, but fedora feels like its newer and closer to how the software devs wanted the software to be.

Ubuntu, fedora is best if newest features are critical. Fedora can be a bit unstable because many of the packages are betas.

I say no to Xubuntu.

XFCE is dead and dying. They have like three guys working for them and it takes literally years for them to release something new and by the time they do it's old news. See Debian.

And let's not talk about how if nothing's broke don't fix it, it's already perfect, etc. Those are excuses. The man who can't reach the vine claims he doesn't like grapes. Or something

Good bye

i hate to go back talking about mint but thats why i use it, i get glitchyness and generally lack of user friendliness in unity, profit from tacking user searches from within an operating system i cannot condone unfortunately, i used to try and get gnome 2.0 installed on Ubuntu to try and bypass unity to little avail unfortunately, I'd use mint if i were you, it is Ubuntu based and from what you are saying would fit your needs, if you choose Ubuntu try and disable privacy stuff and maybe think about Xubuntu?

i feel the same way about xfce. There are alright things like cinnamon or mate under active development if you that kinda desktop.

The Amazon thing is specific to Unity and unless I'm mistaken it's also opt-in by default now so it's only enabled if you willingly choose it to be. You also have full freedom to replace your DE at any time.

if you look back at my other posts m8 i have mentioned all of this.

amazon tracking is enabled by default.

just did some research they said they were going to remove it in 16.04 but i think if you look in privacy it is still enabled, an attempt at misdirection i think.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

its disabled by default. you turn it on instead of off now.

ah well im glad they stopped that, them being partnered with amazon despite and amazon being partnered with Google would lead me to think the OS itself tracks your Google searches from the default install of Firefox, i just don't trust Ubuntu as you can see.

The whole point of Mate is be a modern DE with the look and feel of Gnome 2.

Hello

I have to go do real life

If this thread is still active later, I will say more stuff

Ubuntu.

STAY AWAY FROM FEDORA

whats wrong with ferdora?

Buggy piece of shit. New users could find problems because is rolling release.

That is why we call fedora users beta testers. Don't be a meme.

Fedora is not rolling release? Only Rawhide is

Whichever you like the best.

arch linux :^)

fedora isn't rolling release, we call fedora users beta testers because redhat uses fedora to test packages for it's paying customers.

Do a fucking strawpoll next time, don't create threads for these faggot questions

Here, this is how it's done

strawpoll.me/10990664

>strawpoll
>Sup Forums
end your life

The last time I checked Fedora was rolling release. Even Novell made OpenSUSE rolling release.

strawpoll.me/10990789/ .

Ubuntu/Debian are wrecking everyones shit in the poll

lol

thanks

hello

hater

maybe i wanted a discussion

thanks for your input tho

It's not, never was afaik

You didn't exactly set the bar very high if you wanted discussion, dickhead.
>Ubunduh Fudora Guh!

So for you Unity is stable enough to really on, huh? I always see pictures of professional ppl using unity and I wonder if maybe its shittier for me or other ppl dont mind the bugs or what

My biggest thing for a desktop is I want the most popular, actively developed one

GNU/DeleteThis

then bongo is what you want

strawpoll.me/10990789/r

Your advice is illegitimized by your objectively incorrect statement that it's rolling release and your use of the word meme.

I would say Fedora but RPM fusion sucks and makes things too complicated.

Ubuntu is much more "just werkz" out of the box.

hello hater

i got it tho

what about rpmfusion sucks

do you have missing software or wut

and why would u say fedora if it werent for that