Arch

Hey Sup Forums. Thinking about ditching Windows 10 and switching to Arch. Can I have comfy experience on Arch? What DE?

Other urls found in this thread:

ostechnix.com/how-to-install-arch-linux-2016-02-01/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Are you an experienced GNU/Linux user?

Maybe it's because I'm using the wrong distro of Arch, but I found it a pain in the ass to install. Had to manually partition my storage devices, manually setup my user accounts and create their home directories.

>arch

so you want to be a ricer?
just do debian and xfce or something nice like that, and save yourself the trouble.

it's probably the hardest of the big 4, but it's relativley easy if you know anything about linux.

As for desktop environment, if you want to customeize and be minimalist, go i3. If you want to have something that just works install mate or xfce. make sure you boot into efi mode if you can, and install linux-firmware, sudo, and all those goodies

i3 is a window manager not a desktop environment.

You can install i3 as a window manager for xfce, for example.

I've been using Arch for a year now and loving it.

My advice? Don't start with Arch unless you have a lot of free time and are on the spectrum. Not even joking.

Start with Ubuntu MATE or something similar. You can do everything on Ubuntu that you'd be able to do on Arch.

If you get to the point where you're regularly encountering issues that Arch is better suited to solving, go ahead and switch. Switching distros is much easier than reinstalling Windows.

well no shit, but it's not like you need a desktop environment.

It is actually very comfy. Very fast and snappy. I wiped my Windows desktop to install this and never looked back. Been using it for a year now with zero problems.

My suggestion to you would be to install it yourself, don't settle for something that comes with an installer like Manjaro or Antergos. I've ended up with a broken installation on more than one occasion thanks to those.

Just read the Arch wiki, especially the beginner's guide on there. Take some time to digest what it's saying, don't just type rando commands in the terminal without understanding what the mean.

If you do this, you will end up with a very comfy setup that you know more about than you ever will with Windows.

>Had to manually partition my storage devices

cfdisk does a "miraculously" good job for newfags like us ! ( the bearded guys say there is something wrong with it ... some disk alignment and bits wizardry ... i don't give a fuck it always worked fine for me )

>manually setup my user accounts and create their home directories

stop fucking wining like a bitch it's just one command line you fag !

# useradd -m -G wheel -s /bin/bash NEW-USERNAME

definitely install it in vm first because you're gonna shit your pants when you'll inevitably fuck up the first time installing.

other than that listen to anons in the thread, walk through the beginner's manual and ensure you have some time on your hands

I've used Linux before but not very experienced in it.
Will it be comfy?
Is it really that hard?
I've used Mint and Elementary before but I'm not that experienced in it.
What DE did you use?
I've installed other distros before, is Arch different?

>Thinking about ditching Windows 10 and switching to Arch

Just try it in a VM or on a separate partition before you ditch Windows.

>Can I have comfy experience on Arch?

I wouldn't describe Arch as comfy.

>What DE?

KDE. It's the most similar to Windows by default, in addition to being the most functional and customizable.

Which distro is comfy? Also can I run my windows visual novels on Linux distros with wine?

>I've installed other distros before, is Arch different?

You've got no idea of what Arch is, do you? You must do everything yourself from the ground up. Arch is the opposite of comfy, only behind Gentoo or Slackware. Maybe get informed a bit, possibly not from Sup Forums.

Any distro can be comfy. How are you defining comfy? My definition of comfy is having my computer be exactly how I want/expect it to be. It's taken a long time to rice it to these levels of comf.

Ubuntu MATE is pretty comfy by default. I really like its system for setting hotkeys and other settings. Not sure how its visual options are. That's not a really important factor for my comfort.

Arch linux will basically force you to learn enough about your OS that customizing it for maximum comfy will be fairly easy. But that's assuming you can get past that initial period of discomfort where you have no idea what's going on, and even doing simple things is a fucking ordeal.

Gentoo is the comfiest. Not memeing, it really is.

Though, if you are not familiar with Linux, you may not be able to appreciate its comfiness.

Alright thank you.
By comfy I mean something that customized to an extent and looks good.

But Gentoo is hard as fuck, man

>what DE did you use
I have all of the major ones installed except for KDE. I don't know how new you are to Linux, but in most distros, Arch included, you can install as many DE's as you went and just choose the one you want to use at the login screen. Tired of one? Just logout and select a different one and log back in.

I personally favor GNOME 3 as a full desktop, and i3 for when I have to work on programming projects for class.

Indeed. But comfy nonetheless.

Arch is not for you man im sorry. Legit stick with the easy stuff if you even want to try linux. If you have no knowledge of how the environment works and how to get around things you are basically stuck. If you want the companies support stay with windows and if you want the communities support on figuring out how to make things work then linux is great.

I see. Thank you.
I see

I've tried Mint and Elementary before. Which distro do you suggest?

>But Gentoo is hard as fuck
Just tedious.

Ive tried every single one and Ubuntu and Mint were the most usable out of the box. Idk about mint right now, but I would just say stay away from arch and slack ware unless you have a lot of time. Legit the rest at least help walk you through installation and getting ready instead of reading a handbook to figure everything out.

I have been using Arch for over 5 years now ...
My advice, train on a VM before doing it for real.
Download and install Vbox or VMware and try to setup Arch inside of it.

Follow the Beginners Guide ( archwiki is your new bible now )

or google something like : archlinux installation guide 2016 ( this one maybe ? : ostechnix.com/how-to-install-arch-linux-2016-02-01/ it has tons of screenshot step-by-step )

Things will be a bit bumpy but overall it will be a fun first ride.

For a Desktop-environment either go with a simple Xfce install or try making-your-own-DE.

The Openbox route might be nice if you want to learn more about the cogs of a DE cause you will have to pick a taskbar ( tint2 ) , a network-manager ( wicd ) , a clipboard-manager ( clipit ) , a battery indicator for laptops ( cbatticon ) , a desktop-wallpaper-thingy ( nitrogen ) ...etc

I really hope you try it out, it's fun ...

What about Debian?
Thank you but I don't really have time if it requires such huge knowledge

>its fun....
admit it you hate it took you 5 years to get it right c:
Ive enjoyed Debian and even Gentoo but they still take a good chunk of time to set up but are easier to install usually at least.

Okay. I'll try Debian. Thank you

No problem I still dont suggest linux unless you like some work.

I've used it before so I know what's it like

I hope you do man

I just ditched Arch for W10, sooo
Xfce was nice

create a drive partition and install arch on it, but keep windows 10 for compatibility reasons.

Thanks man
Why did you ditch it?
Good idea. Thanks user

Yha if anything just dual boot for everything you need. I have had issues with windows and boot loaders at times.

>admit it you hate it took you 5 years to get it right c:

oh i do hate that !
i've gone through all the stages from printing the old installation-guide-book ( was a poorfag at the time and only had one computer so i needed an offline manual ...
to rage quitting and installing debian/fedora ..etc ( never ubuntu though ... i have some irrational hate toward it ... never knew why )

but every time i came back and thanks to that when i am on another linux and something break down i have an idea of what's going on and how to access/repair it ... or at least what the command i am copy/pasting from stackoverflow will do :D

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks f@m

haha I will always consider linux a server OS and not a real personal one. I mean you look at the support and its mostly was for services and then the community tried to make it something. I mean just your account shows that you learned to manage and fix an OS which is about the level of a server admin. Like I mean in the sense you are customizing the server OS to meat your needs even if they are for personal use.
no problem man wish you luck. Ill always come back to windows even if I enjoyed learning the process of using linux.

Yeah Windows just feels right

Arch/Cinnamon master race

Not openbox?

>is it really that hard?
No. just research your hardware, read the manual beforehand, google what you don't know.