Is Sup Forums capable of explaining why they dislike Edward Snowden without bringing up political affiliation, race...

Is Sup Forums capable of explaining why they dislike Edward Snowden without bringing up political affiliation, race, religion, or the word "cuck"?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rSc8mJtem0k
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_EC_DRBG
blogs.wsj.com/cio/2014/01/17/obama-addresses-economic-damage-caused-by-snowden-nsa-leaks/
arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/
washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2013/08/05/the-nsa-is-giving-your-phone-records-to-the-dea-and-the-dea-is-covering-it-up/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneak_and_peek_warrant
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

If he was married, he would watch Tyrone do it with his wife.

Who said we dislike him?

>If he was married, he would watch Tyrone do it with his wife.

What did he mean by this?

He is a paid actor and nothing he ``whistleblew'' had any importance.

Hello NSA!

He could have leaked everything without plastering his ego all over it and acting like a prima donna faggot.

It's hard to buy his "patriotic" bullshit when he runs away to Russia and sucks up to Putin.

Found the SJW liberal faggot niggerlover

He could have leaked only the stuff that applies to Americans (aka shit everyone already knew) but instead also compromised our international intelligence by revealing how we monitor other nations.

It sure was nice though of China and Russia, bastions of free information and transparency, to protect him. I'm sure they didn't ask for any information in return.

He did not run away to russia you ignorant faggot. He planned to travel to Venezuela but the state department cancelled his passport right before he arrived in Moscow. He spent a week or so in the fucking airprot.

He lives with his hot wife in Russia dummy.

I think he said at some point that he would have had a much higher chance of being tortured and killed if he stayed obscure. They figured out he leaked the information right after the first leak and before he revealed his name so there was no chance to stay anonymous anyway. Also, normies love celebrities so his leaks were probably taken more seriously.

This is the best possible reason.

He's a traitor. The american public had no right to know how the NSA was protecting america. President trump will have snowden executed.

It's hard to buy his "patriotic" bullshit when he leaks a bunch of top secret information and then runs off to another country to avoid punishment while soaking up his fame and making tweets as if his opinion matters on everything.

Boomsters don't like him because they don't understand computers anyway and can barely use them.

Yea nevermind all the illegal wiretapping he exposed, He went to Russia to not end up facing a secret court in the "Land of the free".

He's a traitor. Call him whistleblower if you like, he betrayed his comrades.

Because Sup Forums is Ars Technica on steroids. Only shitposters and contrarians post here.

This, along with Sup Forums are the worst boards because no one is trying to have a conversation and everyone is trying to rustle each other's jimmies by saying stupid shit. Eventually some newfags come along, read the bullshit and believe it's true, so they keep repeating it and threads become echo chambers of bullshit.

fuck off NSA

NSA POST

>President trump
As far as I'm concerned Trump knows what's good for the average american. Sorry Sup Forums, but Trump winning is more important than free information.

because he's cuter than the majority of Sup Forums

You don't like Snowden? Why?

What else was he gonna do in an airport?

Hi SHillary.

Sup Forums was entirely pro-privacy before Trump came along. There were Ron/Rand Paul threads for years.

You're not misinformed, are you?

you realize trump literally said snowden was a traitor and that he was a spy planted by another country, right?

go back to Sup Forums where everyone will play along

Considering how the intelligence community and government reacted to previous whistleblowers like William Binney and Thomas Drake, I'm pretty convinced that Snowden did the right thing.

People who went through official channels were retaliated against, had their houses raided repeatedly, and had bullshit trumped up charges brought against them (which were dropped as soon as it was clear they weren't going to inform on other whistleblowers). Drake spent his retirement savings fighting off the charges the government tried to stick him with.

As far as "damage to national security" goes, the damage Snowden inflicted doesn't hold a candle to the damage the NSA (and other organizations) has inflicted on this country over the past 15 years in the name of counter-terrorism.

snowden did the right thing, but the guy personally seems like an insufferable full of himself douchebag

Based trump. Keep the NSA program going, I have nothing to hide.

cuck

How is this Sup Forums related?

>inflicted doesn't hold a candle to the damage the NSA (and other organizations) has inflicted on this country over the past 15 years in the name of counter-terrorism.

Can you prop up any figures to back this statement? What damage are you speaking of and how do you measure it?

The CIA used fake vaccines to track down Bin Laden. Now extremists refuse to allow/use vaccines, and diseases like Polio are on the rise.

How can you speak against Snowden when the USG is causing massive damage though its lack of accountability?

FYI, the NSA started mass surveillance programs before 9/11.

cuck

Not everyone who is critical of Trump's policy supports Hillary. In fact, a lot of people don't support either of them.

>Now extremists refuse to allow/use vaccines, and diseases like Polio are on the rise.

And that's a bad thing?

are you some kind of leader of this board?

>Polio on the rise
>Polio's eradication is championed as the most important Vaccine victory
lol

youtube.com/watch?v=rSc8mJtem0k

They've weakened encryption and security standards, inserted vulnerabilities and backdoors in a wide variety of hardware and software products, stockpiled vulnerabilities in commercial software products, and infiltrated many US companies when they weren't cooperative with them.

All of that not only harms the security of US networks, firms, and people, but also hurts our information technology businesses by driving away foreign business. The NSA is supposedly in charge of information assurance for the government, but is instead hyper-focused on offense, even when it compromises our security.

More broadly, a lot of the powers the national intelligence community was granted after 9/11 were not mainly used to combat terrorism. They were instead used as daily tools of investigation primarily in domestic criminal cases.

From 2006 to 2009, only 0.8 percent of sneak and peek warrants (15 out of 1,755) were used for counter-terrorism cases, the rest were for fraud or drugs. These numbers haven't really improved over recent years, despite expansion in the use of sneak-and-peek warrants. Only 0.5 percent of sneak-and-peek warrants were used for terror-related cases in 2013. From 2003 to 2006, the government issued 192,449 national security letters, which led to 1 terror-related conviction (and even in that case, the evidence obtained through the NSL wouldn't have been necessary to convict the suspect). The government currently issues about 60 NSLs a day.

I'm aware, but 9/11 guaranteed political support for dragnet surveillance. Inside NSA, the more limited (and probably more effective) surveillance system they were developing was discarded in favor of the Trailblazer project, which ultimately got cancelled by Congress after the IG found it to be wasteful and ineffective. Of course, NSA continued the program under different names and formats (which then in turn were cancelled and restarted again). That's a pattern with them.

Oh hey, agent #8984593, long time no see

Importance is relative dummy.
Most people care that Clinton was saying on Germany and UK or that that the Clinton foundation has never given proceeds to any of it's charitable causes more than what city is rioting over criminals next. But hey keep your nose where you're told to keep it and you'll never smell something funny

It's a bad thing because whether you like the terrorists or not, a readily accessible viral reservoir of Polio is the last thing this world needs.

>They've weakened encryption and security standards

This is too abstract. Please get down to specific things.

>inserted vulnerabilities and backdoors in a wide variety of hardware and software products, stockpiled vulnerabilities in commercial software products, and infiltrated many US companies when they weren't cooperative with them.

NSA can't solely do these things. The government is the main enforcer. NSA provides technical capability and expertise.

>They were instead used as daily tools of investigation primarily in domestic criminal cases.

Isn't this more of a complaint about how the institution was repurposed falsely?

>by driving away foreign business

Again, this reads like an implication, not a matter of fact. I haven't heard of businesses or exporters wanting to get out of the US market. It's financial value is way more important to many than supposed personal security risks that haven't yet materialized.

>sneak and peek warrants
Do you mean warrants for wiretapping? That's not alarming unless they got the evidence required for the warrant unconstitutionally.

haha epic cuck meme famalam! praise le kek! xD

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dual_EC_DRBG

blogs.wsj.com/cio/2014/01/17/obama-addresses-economic-damage-caused-by-snowden-nsa-leaks/

arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2014/05/photos-of-an-nsa-upgrade-factory-show-cisco-router-getting-implant/

washingtonpost.com/news/the-switch/wp/2013/08/05/the-nsa-is-giving-your-phone-records-to-the-dea-and-the-dea-is-covering-it-up/

He made people go crazy. I don't like people going crazy....

Sarah Harrison.

This is done to stop terrorism you cuck. Do you honestly want durkas to destroy america?

>>Sup Forums

>Muh Sup Forums boogeyman
Back to reddi.t with you, cuck.

Can't you be a little bit more edgy-honest and say something like

They don't have the military or human capability to accomplish that. On personal note, all my communication happens on the internet, I don't have to go outside to fullfill myself while exposing to potential terror threats. There will be a few dozen attacks and plenty of deaths but I won't be a exposed to them so stopping terrorism isn't a concern for me.

Traitor
Contract breaching liar

he didn't swear an oath to the guy who gave him his employment contract, or to the NSA. He swore an oath to uphold the Constitution. And since the NSA was and is blatantly violating the Constitution, he owes them no loyalty. He executed his higher responsibility to fight the traitorious behavior of his superiors.

Please tell me how many mass shootings and terrorist attacks have been stopped by NSA's data mining.

>eradicated means it completely dissapeared from the world

it means 0 people infected retard, polio can still show up if you don't take your shot

No. Sneak and peek was a special type of warrant that was introduced after 9/11

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sneak_and_peek_warrant

When it comes to wiretaps, it depends on who was doing the wiretapping. In the case of NSA, the majority of the wiretaps were either done with FISA warrants or with no warrants (these no-warrant taps were either justified through various secret legal arguments, or were just done illegally)

Not that guy, but it's not like they can admit they're spying on people when they detain someone "under suspicion" or "from an unknown source"

this is why people filter tripcodes

that fucking mole on his neck makes me queasy every time i see it

Also, one of the more fucked up legal arguments the NSA came up with was that they could intercept and store communications without a warrant, they argued that they needed a warrant to read it.

They called reading something "collection", and used that term repeatedly in testimonies to Congress without making a distinction between the plain English meaning of "collect" and their bureaucratic definition of "collection".

> snowden

> mole

heh

The more technical details he leaked have made a huge difference under the hood.
You didn't notice because you didn't pay attention, don't know shit about anything and was fed the washed out mainstream media story.

His country would've tortured and killed him.
He's patriotic towards the people of his country, not his country's corrupt leaders.

As someone not from the us, China or Russia, I cannot take this as a valid reason.

Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.
Applies to your government as well.
Why would they keep it hidden if it was for good?

>they argued that they needed a warrant to read it

Except in cases where they targeted a foreign person or organization and "collected' (processed or read) all of their communications. If some of their communications were with US citizens, those communications were "incidentally collected".

Sometimes, they even expanded that further, arguing that they could "collect" all communications _about_ a foreign target without a FISA warrant (regardless whether or not a foreign person was party to a communication).

>filtering The Falcon

I have a mole like that and this is the first time I've been self conscious about it in years

I love these posts. Brings NSA shills out in max reality distortion. He waz a TRAITORRRXZ!!!! The butthurt never end

Some people actually believe he was a traitor. Those people usually lack the ability to think critically, and can't discern what is good for the country vs what is good for the NSA.

>tfw hate Hillary for wanting to undermine encryption
>tfw hate Trump for wanting to increase domestic NSA spying
>tfw Julian Assange will die in Ecuadorian embassy
>tfw average American is convinced Snowden is Russian sympathizer
>tfw no one cares about personal privacy
>tfw government wants to make privacy illegal
>tfw it's been like this for decades
>tfw we will all die in Orwell's worst nightmare
Maybe I should round up all those worthless mini b cables I have lying around and tie up a noose.

>giving up
All that is required for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing.

You are stupid leftist cuck if you dislike him. Government isnt holy you dumb communist marxist schlong sucker, he 'betrayed' a corrupt government who was acting unconstitutional and he made them aware of their actions. Thats patriotism and you are a leftist marxist cuck if you hate him.

We all know he was a democrat until 5 minutes ago and almost all of his policies could have come from a democrat.

*tips fedora*

>the statute of limitations for Assange will expire in 2020
>he still won't be allowed to take up asylum

Blowing the whistle on the data collection policies was the right thing to do. However, he took way to far when he released classified information that had nothing to do with the data collection program. He got people killed because of it and for that reason he should be in jail. If all he did was leak information about the data collection programs I'd be fine with him.

he's an opportunist. he (or the media, which he has not corrected in their assumptions) lives a persona of a security expert, a world-class critic of security practices, when he has none of the qualifications such a person would normally have (advanced degrees, long careers in security tech, and definitely something more substantial than "smuggled a bunch of files out on a USB stick once then fucked off to Russia")

>he got people killed
[citation needed]

>anime belongs on reddit
What the fuck are you smoking? It has been a part of the Sup Forums culture.

Yes, some people go overboard (makispammers), but that's no reason to attack anybody who posts anime. Don't direct your anger at the innocent Sup Forumsnons, but rather at the makiposters who annoy you so much.

It's not an /anime website/, stop using that stupid phrase. There are many boards not remotely connected to anime, but they have anime because it's a cultural thing. It's Sup Forums's thing. You usually get whatever your board's dedicated for + some anime. Forcing a change because anime makes you feel uncomfortable outs you as an "outsider", which the majority of Sup Forums hates, since they give 0 fucks about all the unwritten rules and they want to bring their own terrible culture with them.

What if I went over to Tumblr and forced them to stop being PRO homosexuals, bisexuals, whenever-kins, mental illness and fat people because that simply makes me uncomfortable? Yes, they might become better people in general, but Tubmlr would lose the original appeal it once had. Here, some of the old regulars can start a new community similar to the old Tumblr, but it will never get as big as old Tumblr were. Do you want to kick people out of what's basically their home, their place which brings them calmness just because they post some things which upset you? Fuck you.

Now that I think about it, that's a rather shitty example, but what the fuck, I'm not going to type anymore.

>but what the fuck, I'm not going to type anymore.
thank god

why do you have the handwriting of a half-retard?

The newfags will never learn, unfortunately. I've always dreamt of someone super rich with nothing to lose like Notch buying out Sup Forums and mass-purging all the kiddies, something that can never happen when the sites owned by someone in it for the money like Hiroshimoot.

The only people who hate him are statists. Beyond that he's only done good by making the Government more transparent.
Transparency is important in trust and it's now obvious why the government isn't as transparent as it could be and why people odn't trust the government.
Simple pimple

>He got people killed
Who?

Typical braindead yank. You guys truly are fucking retarded :D

I don't like dead people

by the way, why isn't anybody talking about this? man has a dead mans switch on his twitter for an hour, and then doesn't tweet for over a week, while he usually tweets twice a day (did so for the past 4-5 months pretty consistently)

RT reported that he's okay. What's the matter, don't you trust the Russian government?

his name sounds like a dwarf npc in wow

I dislike him because that wasn't his information to leak.
I also dislike him because he made it harder to join the NSA.

The NSA dislike him, and they post a lot on Sup Forums.

>Why would they keep it hidden if it was for good?

why are undercover operative names hidden?
why are pedophiles arrested in groups instead of individually?
why are videogame cheaters banned in batches instead of individually?

your logic is flawed buster.

I like what he did.
He's a bit of a liberal idiot though.
Cunts like Jacob Applebaum turned him from a good republican / libertarian into a cuck.

I know its bait but I'm genuinely spooked about all that. why are they making this effort. also the greenwald guy saying he's fine. why couldn't he say it himself if he's fine? and why was everyone like "oh this one guy says he's fine so he's fine". its not even subtle, I don't get it.