It's the year 1998

what were the most powerful home computers then?

Other urls found in this thread:

m.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/1wnp0y/an_ultimate_gaming_pc_from_1998/
youtube.com/watch?v=FuLX9vsu9cU
youtube.com/watch?v=RTGMG2qUMjU
myredditnudes.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

m.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/1wnp0y/an_ultimate_gaming_pc_from_1998/

I remember the PII 350 I had. Played Unreal 1 and then got my first GPU (a Voodoo Rush) to accelerate it with.

64-bit 450MHz POWER3 CPU's where the most powerful ones then.

Fuck off with your x86 bullshit.

3dfx glide voodoo cards were big back then for games, i remember buying one

>you'll never play counter strike for the first time
why live

Single PII Xeon 450 with a Matrox AGP card for 2D and SLI'd Voodoo2s for 3D

That distinction belongs to the EV6 Alphas probably followed by PA-8500s, POWER was never the king of RISC when it came to speed no matter how deep the Sup Forums IBM circlejerk goes

>EV6 Alphas

That brings me back. Man, I wish Alpha didn't die out.

A really well designed chip back in the day. No surprises when ex-DEC engineers ended up creating the original Athlon, PA-Semi, Apple Ax etc

Who cares the games from 1998 were shit plus no halo.

>Freespace
>Starcraft
>Fallout 2
>Half-Life

Yeah 1998 sure sucked for gamers

>halo
this is bait right?

probably my favorite year

1990's looked so comfy.

towards the end of the line it seemed to be turning more and more to shit though, but that was probably because of the Itanium hype train making Compaq stick it on the backburner more than anything

wonder how it would have ended up if Compaq and HP had continued to actually care about it instead of keeping it on life support until their customers found a way to shitcan them and migrate to Itaniums

Power Mac G3s

>it is the year 1998

Hey, I'm 3 years old!

>EDO RAM
>66 MHz bus
>no AGP

>Single PII Xeon 450 with a Matrox AGP card for 2D and SLI'd Voodoo2s for 3D
No, a 300A OC'd to 550MHz. Dual Voodoo2's were nice, but you needed the game to support Glide and they were limited to 1024x768. A TNT could do 1600x1200. There weren't many games it could push at that rez, but it was nice.

And SHOGO.
youtube.com/watch?v=FuLX9vsu9cU

>1998

>reddit
>m.reddit

>MFW I wasn't even alive then but I'm still old enough to be on this board

oldfags BTFO

>No, a 300A OC'd to 550MHz
Eh, that's pushing it quite a bit even with the 300A's overclocking record, they seem to be more in the 450 MHz ballpark. The on-die cache is also tiny as fuck, which might negate the latency and speed advantages it will have over the Xeon's bigger off-die solution in some applications.

Was the TNT even out in 1998? I just assumed a Matrox card out of habit, nV chips were pretty good for 2D too. There were a lot of glide games around as well.

kys

i cant take these feels anymore

rude

Unreal sucks and and you suck ass for loving it faggot

Doom for life

Other autist thread.

same link, sans faggotry

youtube.com/watch?v=RTGMG2qUMjU

UT > your favourite game

Doom > UT

My dick

>implying halo isn't total shit

The whole UNIX/RISC workstation market had plenty of other issues besides just the Itanium hype train.

Silicon Graphics probably was the worst off, as they made tons of poor decisions left and right and their workstation line was too specialized compared to the general ones Sun/HP/DEC/IBM made. However, the other companies weren't immune.

What ended up killing proprietary workstations was the fact that X86 workstations became a thing. Even before Itanium, thanks to the rise of Windows NT (and later Linux), GPUs on the PC that could compete with those found in pricier UNIX workstations, multi CPU motherboards, and eventually AMD64, RISC workstations were doomed.

It didn't help that their costs were very high compared to cheap PC hardware, and the same thing applies with servers nowadays. It costs more money to get a new POWER8 or SPARC server than it does to get a dirt cheap PC server new from HP, Lenovo, or Dell. Used it's even worse, and it's easy to find an X86 server for under $50 (Or free if you have connections to a place tossing out their old servers)

I've never played cs :^)

>starsiege tribes was bad

holy shit look at this fucking underage pleb

Where can one get the components to make an Itanium shitposting machine?

NT got ported over to Alpha and MIPS, funnily enough.

I remember reading about low cost Alpha motherboards back then but no idea if they ever made it to market.

guess you could say that P6 was the beginning of the end, and when they finally surpassed the hardware/software baseline that allowed them to do most of the stuff you would have used a workstation for in the '90s passably it really did eat into that market

you buy an HP i2000, zx6000, zx2000, SGI Prism or VW 750

with the chips as expensive, late to market and absolutely disappointing for consumers as they were I don't think they ever made any drop-in ATX boards for them, at least not ones that you could get a hold of easily

the AlphapC boards did make it to the market but NT on Alpha was shit since it had fuck all software and you ended up just using it to emulate 386 code anyway, don't think they were capable of running VMS or Tru64 either

Home computer, senpai.

No you aren't, mods please ban this underage frogposter. If you were born in 99, the oldest you can be is 17.