/BSD/ and other things thread

Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, etc.
Other operating systems related to BSD like OS X is allowed to be talked about because it has BSD roots, but talk about the OS only. Take questions about macbooks to /fag/ or a more appropriate thread.

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News:
dragonflydigest.com
undeadly.org
freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution
openbsd.org/index.html
twitter.com/Sup
vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just switch to Linux already, senpai

There needs to be more cute anime girl art for BSD

what the hell is bsd

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_Software_Distribution

but she's not cute, she's lewd

Well obviously then cute non lewd art needs to be made.

How can anyone still use FreeBSD after their security fuck ups?

im so glad it happened just so we can spite the freebsd shitposter in this thread

Does the FreeBSD autist who spergs on about MUH JAILS and MUH MAC still post?

he did a few weeks ago, he's been quiet for some reason

gee, i wonder why

OpenBSD is worse, they knowingly release shit with remote exploits because they didn't have the resources to fix a release.

Why should I use something that no one else uses, that sounds like it would lead to inconvenience and outdated software. Linux is already obsecure as is.

What remote exploits are you talking about.

There have been quite a few.
They refuse to fix releases and think telling people to update solves the problem.

Like what? Releases are a frozen point you're supposed to patch yourself or switch to stable channel.

From openbsd.org/index.html
"Only two remote holes in the default install, in a heck of a long time!"
Hmmm...

They knew about the hole before they released it and released it anyway.

What goddamn holes!?! If you have no examples to post, you're shitposting.

lol Ignore !BE/4wes0mE, he always posts in these threads and never knows what he's talking about.

So, anyone?

no one wants to answer you because every single thread this same question is asked

if you like linux you don't have to switch over

Rude

Got it. I should have listened to gut instinct and ignore the tripfag, but curiosity got the best of me.

I'm on this thread almost everyday. I'm asking the question because I'm failing to understand why idiots like you sacrifice functionality for dead projects. Performance obviously isn't the concern.

sorry to hear about your autism

Nothing wrong with tripfags in general, it's the weebs that put るさわ in their names ^_^

Hurr idk what to reply back with so I'll just call him autistic.

>i spend days shitposting in a thread because i don't understand that some people prefer to use other operating systems
>not autistic
pick one

So your primary reason to use an OS is popularity? More people use or like BSD than you think they do. Netflix for example uses FreeBSD for their servers and I think Sup Forums is powered by FreeBSD. If you don't like BSD, you can always post in a different thread.

>I use unsupported operating systems even though I have absolutely no idea what benefits have, let alone the competence to make use of them because they're obsecure and that's cool.

i literally never said that but ok, autismo

8ch for sure is freebsd, not sure about 2ch/4chins
Netflix and Facebook are both heavily using FreeBSD

OpenBSD is my daily desktop just for the sole fact that it's simple as fuck to understand and use, simple as in no complexity. I also required something reliable that I could push aside and just get work done without having to tinker with the OS rolling back updates, any BSD is good for this.

never post in here but just a reminder if you use amazon go through amazon smile to donate to your favorite project (i.e. FreeBSD Foundation)

>B-but whay about Netflix Apple and Sony??!!?

Those are fortune 500 companies that hire engineers that actually know what they are doing, not idiots on chinese cartoon websites

>Um I think Sup Forums runs on Freebsd?

And I never said you did, but that's obviously why you use it.

>Um I think Sup Forums runs on Freebsd?
it does though

why the fuck do you even care if you're just gonna do this

I support the BSDs even though I don't use them much (unless you count Darwin/OS X) if for no other reason because GNU/Linux being the only serious, usable FOSS OS option in town is a Very Bad Thing™ – it'd encourage complacency and stagnation, and besides that, variety is the spice of life. I'll never understand people who seriously believe a single OS/GPU/phone/etc should reign supreme. It's as outlandish as mandating that everybody wear red flannel shirts or that everyone only eat croissants.

More on topic, I've been throwing around spinning up a *BSD VPS for my next web project. Probably going to use DigitalOcean or Vultr for the provider but I'm undecided regarding FreeBSD vs. OpenBSD.

let me guess, you're gonna say that i'm gonna switch to plan 9 if BSD ever gets popular, right?

No, because BSD will never be popular lol. Stay mad hipster.

>muh hipster
lmao it really is you

where is your caretaker?

1. If a company sees my code, uses it and closes it off without letting me know I'd rather use another license, instead of the
>Cuck License

2. Daily reminder that BSD can't even compete with Linux
>Less packages than Linux
>Can't even do serious virtualization
>FreeBSD is now vulnerable
>OpenBSD has no proprietary softwares and drivers

RIP BSD

twitter.com/Sup Forums/status/219220466139795457

Site is down because FreeBSD is a piece of shit. I know, joke's on us for using FreeBSD. #ba-dum-ch

>Muh autism
I'm not the one who uses BSD lol

>OpenBSD has no proprietary softwares and drivers
so you're arguing against a so-called "cuck license" then you want proprietary software and drivers?

and I'm not the one who comes here every day to shitpost because I don't like something

Is this the new Mac Thread?

Mac is BSD so yeah.

I don't remember saying anything about Openbsd, but if proprietary drivers allow compatibility and better performance then by all means yes. Or is that not free enough for you autismo?

Wrong again, I don't shit post here everyday, I still read it though.
You should probably read books a lot more, you don't come off as very smart and completely butthurt over arguments of software.

i clearly didn't quote the right person, retard

Yeah, you failed to quote someone on an anonymous forum, retard.

you failed to notice the most obvious thing, like me quoting you instead of the person right above you

don't project

You can talk about mac, but keep it to OS only.

Oh the salt

Why

>Oh the salt
????

do you even know what that means?

Because this is /BSD/ not /fag/. Keep macbook shit on /fag/.

MirOS BSD
Who uses it? Why would you even use it? I'm looking at the about page and they specifically say they DON'T support parallel computing.
I want to understand why it exists.

no idea

bitrig seems like the better project since its objective is actually having an up to date toolchain in base

But Apple uses BSD. OSX looks so good

I'm saying you can talk about the OS like OS X or MacOS. Just keep consumer shit like the iphone or macbooks off /BSD/ is all I'm saying.

You're right, I should of expected you to have enough confidence to misquote someone and pretend it's expected to know.

Again, misquoting
He's saying your salty e.g. butthurt.

Running OSX without Macbooks isn't supported, so Macbooks are actually quite relevant

>tells me to read a book
>when he can't even form proper sentences
*I should have expected you

sounds like it's you who needs to read

XNU's Not Unix: make sure only people knowledgeable in C, sh, and csh post about Mac OS X.

Keep up the ad hominem buddy, maybe you'll end up convincing me to used BSD after all.

So how many mactards are here ITT? Considering OSX is the only worth BSD?

not like you were ever planning to

i have absolutely no need to convince you

BSD is more 1337

What's a good macbook to buy. I hate nerd shit, but since I just learned that macbooks are indeed BSD I'll ask here.

I just like Linux more because muh community

13" Retina pro XD

Dude have you got the leaks of iphone 7 yet :-DDD

I've been using BSD for three years
>I didn't want to convince you anyway
:((((
I'm sorry am I coming off as an asshole?

iPad Pro Duo

Awesome. Looks way better than outdated shit like free or OpenBSD

>OpenBSD
It's just a "doesn't work" version of OSX

yeah you really should read a book sometime, maybe i'll understand what you're actually saying

I use it as my main OS, retard. What am I not using that simply doesn't work?
Works on my machine.

Lol It sounds like you had a pretty clear idea this whole time.

LMAO, you look like a pathetic virgin with your OpenMEMEsd faggotry. Just buy a macbook, it's true BSD.

VMWare

>OpenMEMEsd
lol are you mad because you can't say freebsd is more secure now

It is more secure. I like Mac now.

At least FreeBSD can run non-free softwares

of course you do, you defend freebsd so valiantly

in any case enjoy the portsnap exploit ;^)

Enjoy your FBI backdoors OpenMEMEsd fag.

enjoy literally all of this
vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt

OSX has none of these problems

And it actually works :^)
Enjoy no ZFS

>Enjoy no ZFS
you mean the file system that's only used by data centers and destroys your data if you don't have a specific type of RAM?

Grapes

>you

Enjoy no real drivers :^)

>OSX
>drivers
are you jordan hubbard in disguise or something

At least my printer works with its non-free driver

Unlike OpenBackdoorsSoftwareDistro :^)

>FUD
Here's your (You)

>wanting non-free software
Get out, consumerist.

the irony being that he's probably one of the guys who keeps spouting the cuck license meme

Enjoy your FBI backdoor cuck. OS X doesn't have this problem.

>He posted it as he browser Sup Forums
hahaha BSD cucks are funny

>OS X doesn't have this problem

tried to open a file from a network share but it tried to open it from $HOME instead. that works fine on linux but openbsd could not do it

how? through NFS?

you literally just mount a share and it works

This is kinda hard to answer without giving any context or reasons. Both Linux and BSD have their advantages and disadvantages, it mostly boils down to what do you want.