Whats the point of Kubuntu now that KDE Neon exists?

Title.
Also why won't they just merge the two and stop wasting time and resources developing the exact same thing?

Other urls found in this thread:

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnome-week-editorial&num=1
youtube.com/watch?v=A9MtFqkRFwQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Kubuntu is now being deprecated in favour of KDE Neon

compiling something with different settings isnt really developing tho.

Whats the point of KDE now that GNOME exists?

I haven't been keeping up with Linux in years, but just look at this mess. It's the fucking 4th year of the 698th olympiad and this is what they come up with? How could they drop the ball that hard?

GNOME looks like absolute trash

You do realize you can change anything in KDE to whatever YOU like with three clicks, right? That's the whole point of this Desktop Environment. Customizability and options.

>GNOME
Enjoy your shitty file picker without thumbnails.

Can I make the K logo disappear?

why not

phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=gnome-week-editorial&num=1

This article sums up my main complaint about KDE.

Lack of adherence to the HIG/UI guidelines, lack of sane default settings.

It's slowly changing with KDE 5 but I think they still have a way to go.

yes, obviously.

Test it by yourself, you can make it look like whatever you want.
youtube.com/watch?v=A9MtFqkRFwQ

>Can I make the K logo disappear?
Yes

In 3 clicks?

I still think it's stupid that Plasma 5 is basically unusable because of how much it crashes.
It got so bad I had turn go from Kubuntu to Debian stable because at least debian had kde 4.14 and not the buggy shitfest that kubuntu has.

>I still think it's stupid that Plasma 5 is basically unusable because of how much it crashes
In KDE Neon they've fixed that. I'm not sure when, but I tried it out the other day, everything went smoothly, not a single crash. They've probably ironed out the kinks

Did they fix the issue where half the programs are still qt4 so the hidpi scaling and theming is inconsistent cause I remember that was an issue with the first 3 releases of plasma 5.

yep

just right click the launcher button and there's an option to choose a different icon or any image

AFAIK the problem with kubuntu 16.04 is not necessarily plasma itself but the version of Qt. The backports fixes a lot of things but unfortunately a lot of the packages in the 16.04 are prepared do depend on Qt 5.5, as far i know neon always updates Qt unlike kubuntu. It was mostly a timing problem so i concur regarding that if you want to enjoy plasma 5 it's better to choose another distro this time, problably the next LTS will be a lot better in that regard.

I'm 3rd week on kde neon and plasma never crashed for me. Unlike gnomeshell,when i eas using it on top of ubuntu it crashed every day not even once.

That's awesome. Definitely want to give KDE a try, now.

>linux desktop experience will always be shit
can we get some actually competent people design this shit already? I'm so tired of unemployed hobbyist """designers""" and outright programmers designing the GUIs. Or at least just copy what works like windows 2000 or material design.

>inb4 muh *box
No, just because something looks good on screenshots doesn't make it well designed or at all useful. Fuck off.

I use KDE on arch, I haven't had a problem except for a bug with the vlc phonon backend where unlocking my widgets could cause plasma to crash. Changed to gstream backend and everything works.

If I'm Kubuntu right now would there be any benefit to using Neon?

This is literally the picture they advertise it with though. Of course you can customize it, though that's not my point.

>expecting free-as-in-free-beer programming projects to actually spend money on designing a decent interface
nah.

That's like saying you are using a cheap Chinese knockoff and want to know if there is a benefit to using the original.

Mint (Cinnamon) actually looks really good by default, especially if you chose the dark theme.

KDE Neon is unstable as fuck!

mate is better than cinnamon though

why?

I diagree greatly.

because

>windows 2000
Choose the redmond theme that comes with pretty much every DE
>material design
Papyros

KDE Neon is now being deprecated in favor of RemixOS

Imbecile

How do I change the start menu icon?

You push that one button and then that one

does kde finally let you bind super to the kickoff launcher or do you still need ksuperkey?

What's wrong with ksuperkey?

nothing It's just something that should be a part of KDE by now.

Well they could probably bundle ksuperkey with the suite, but there might be a licencing issue

Right Click > Application Launcher Settings
Icon > Choose

In Wayland.

thanks senpai

Is Wayland on by default or do you have to install it?

What's the point of KDE if I want a stable DE?

I'm getting KDE on my next install

lol