He doesn't program in Atom

>He doesn't program in Atom
Do you even enjoy programming, Sup Forums?

>inb4 atom is le resource hog meme

Other urls found in this thread:

pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/#editor-benchmarks
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>over 150 mb for a fucking text editor

no thanks

OK you triggered me. What the fuck does that matter? Are you that autistic? you probably have 16gb ram of that 10gb unused and you're bothered by 150mb?

>using atom when sublime exists

>muh customization

Atom is better out of the box.

how is it better? It's actually worse ootb

>Are you that autistic?

Do you even have to ask?

>using non-terminal text editors

What is the current year?

> based on java-script

>OK you triggered me. What the fuck does that matter?
Relevant portions of that have to go through the CPU cache everytime you press a key. This makes it effectively slower.

pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/#editor-benchmarks

Note how the most bloated IDEs even have worse latency.

>Do you even enjoy programming, Sup Forums?
Yes, because I use the somewhat better VSCode instead. However, as soon as there is a sane non-web-based editor, I'll use this.

I have only 12g ram and firefox and vms are eating a lot
Also I need to be able to give 9g for tmpfs if I want to recompile java because I'm using gentoo.

I've been using Sublime for ages and I'm not about to change now.

Of course I enjoy programming, I use Vim after all, atom doesnt have the plugins I need and has awful keyboard shortcuts, it's good for non-serious meme jobs tho

>takes forever to start
>runs like shit
>looks like rotten anus
>poor man's sublime text
>sends data to google analytics
>made in coffeescript
>used to crash when opening files bigger than 2mb
>they didn't want to fix it because "Opening files larger than 2MB is an edge case that most users don't run into"

Disgusting hipster shit

why should i use atom when i've already got VSCode?

Fuck off with that shit.

Another SJW approved tool which is exactly like its community. A piece of shit.

i just use kate from kde and vim.
its simple and i like it

i prefer visual studio code desu

>not having an SSD
>any year after 2009

>typing latency is ok in 2016 on today's absurdly powerful hardware
An 8Mhz Mac from 1985 can fucking type text with undetectable latency. There is absolutely no valid reason why a multi-ghz monster millions of times more powerful shouldn't do the same, even with syntax coloration and autocomplete and all that jazz.

Atom is a sloppy, unoptimized mess and it's a disgrace. There are editors that does everything it can do and do it with a fraction of the resources. I have no idea why anybody would want to use it.

It's time to turn off the computer grandpa

/thread

>he fell for SSD meme
enjoy your quicker data loss

It is slow and bloated.

It's made by a company that has proven multiple times they don't care about software quality and it shows in their editor.

Advertising in any form isn't allowed on Sup Forums.

Slow as fuck. Just stay on Sublime or VIM.

Atom is objectively worse than my vim setup and uses 30x the memory and CPU. Also, only poor people use Atom since it's an objectively worse clone of Sublime Text.

>pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/#editor-benchmarks
That's weird, Gvim is somehow faster on windows than it is on Linux. I'd like to know what could be the reason for this.

Shittymacs used >370mb to install and it's shit. It's so useless that they tried developing a gui version to make it look less of an unintuitive garbage.

If you're not using either Sublime or vim/gvim you're doing it wrong. Atom is shit. Emacs is old, busted and autistic. Everything else isn't worth mentioning.

naw I'm good.

just the fact that I can't C-a or M-y triggers the fuck out of me

You actually can use the biddings which come out of the box. Retard.

wat? those are out of box.

Did you know that every native text field in OS X, even in third party apps, has emacs keybinds built in? It's handy as fuck.

It's also why non-native shit like Atom triggers Mac users so hard. Non-native apps don't have these keybinds in their text fields (among other things).

Nice argument fagtron, you sure convinced me with those hot opinions.

Maybe having a server architecture for GUIs turns out to be a bad idea.

That's probably the reason, though I expected GTK for X to be faster than GTK for windows.

Now I wonder if Linux would beat windows when using Gvim on wayland. That'd probably depend on the compistor being used.

why do you hate productivity, user?

Based anons.

Sorry I'd rather spend my time doing actual work than learning thousands of autistic key bindings and commands.

>autistic
Great meme. Sorry that you'll never be even half as productive as me.

>Sorry I'd rather take an hour each day to go to work by foot rather than learning how to drive and go to work in 15 minutes
How can you be so retarded?

>150 mb
>implying it matters in any way

kill yourself

>Emacs is old, busted and autistic.
I'm a neovim user but go fuck yourself. Emacs is beautiful.

>That's probably the reason, though I expected GTK for X to be faster than GTK for windows.
You underestimate just how bad of a clusterfuck X is for desktop use. It's bad. Real bad. Windows and Mac OS have had better display managers than X for over 15 years now.

The gap is so wide that even the best optimized of X-based software takes a substantial performance hit vs. non-X counterparts.

Because it's an edited to shit web browser. I should not be writing code in a fucking web browser.

I'd just buy a house nearer to work because I could afford it after being promoted for being more productive than you for not using vimshit.

I have both atom and notepad++.

For most of the code editing I need to do, I just need to change one line or two and recompile.

Visual studio takes forever. Atom is better, but notepad++ is just so much better. It's lightning fast and no-bullshit, unlike you.

hey can someone help me? I´m new to this and I´m lerning some html to learn the bacis. I got this problem, pic related. thought about starting a new thread but saw this. so can anyone tell me why it doest work?

>OS X

Found the issue

It should be font-color iirc.

double-check the href on that link

no you fucking retard

I hae tried that but it won´t work. the css is´t "connected" for some reason

It should work friend, make sure the css path is written relative to the html file.
I see your test.html is in framework/css. Is there a main.css file at framework/css/css/main.cs?

as I said I´m new to this so... I think? I don´t know whats in the pic is what I have

main.css is at the same level as test.html

so your include should just be

I would, but there's barely any support for Racket lisp, so emacs it is.

THANK YOU! it fucking worked

this
try moving test.html from inside th css folder to framework, main.css should be inside the css folder

Sorry, I do real programming not web design :^)

you understand what you did wrong at first, right?
if you moved test.html next to the css folder (not in like you had), the code you had before would have worked

OP doesn't open files > 2mb

thanks guys

Keep at it user. Work hard

I did not know that but hey thanks for telling me

thanks I really wanna learn how to do this

god speed user

code academy or code school are good places to start for structured learning too

>Emacs is old, busted and autistic
>uses a proprietary TRIAL software and thinks his opinion matters

not an argument

I´m using udacity at the moment

You have now created more stuff than 90% of all Haskell programmers.

kek

I wish Xi was ready. There is just 3 problems:

- only mac frontend for now
- server-client idea might get in the way of low-latency
- piping add-ons might get in the way of low-latency

Thank you, user, for trying to show these codemonkeys what real programming is all about!

Du är bög

Hey user, why don't you go drink bleach?
>inb4 bleach is le corrosive meme

>2 MB

emacs best text editor
VS best ide

>proprietary
>"""""best""""" in any way

I tried it once, its sheet.

I use kate on linux and VS on windows.

On cli I use nano because I cant decide if I want to learn vi or emacs

It's too resource heavy, way too bloated. Just use a smaller editor.

Jesus who the fuck would want to brag about that?

>hurr using a certain OS is dumb because someone told me it was hurrrRRR

It's all about the targeted market, and Atom's target market got babyducked hard on Javascript and are either incapable of learning or unwilling to learn anything else.

Web devs are weird. I've never seen any other group of developers so dead-set on making everything pander to them. Nearly every other type of dev has more of a, "right tool for the job" sort of mindset.

all language communities are like this

I'm sure there is "text editor in rust" or "text editor in haskell" too

but javascript is just making the most noise right now

>I'm sure there is "text editor in rust" or "text editor in haskell" too
There are, because they make sense.

I don't know user, IntelliJ are doing that, but they're just selling the same IDE over an over again with customized code completion for all the languages.
Arguably, I have no more use for a Python-only IDE than a Ruby-only IDE. Although, I would say that you are right. Everybody wants to have the text editor that says "make especially for you fucking faggots; now code, you filthy animals"
And again I agree, that is the case with JS right now, however OP is gargantuan fagit for suggesting Atom is a good all-round editor for any kind of language. Fucking gedit has syntax highlighting for a gorrilion languages and you don't see it getting shilled.
inb4 muh code completion
yes, some autist actually wrote a code completion plugin for gedit

AppImage is only 80MB

What the fuck are you talking about?

The RAM usage, most likely.

oh sorry. I didn't check that though, I have 16GB of RAM I don't give a fuck about RAM consumption most of the time.

but I do :^)

the only thing atom can bank on is popularity, and even that is lacking, pic related

Also , how many text editors do you know based on a freaking web browser? Emacs is a fucking OS unto itself at this point and it's still lighter than your piece of shit may may editor.

>combining into 15
>es5
>semicolons

id fire you

> code artisan
> fezz bass
> non fixed width font
> jay ess
> semicolons
> not assembling a string and then console.log(string || i) at the end
> Power Mode (tm)
> "but I do"
> :^)
it's perfect, user

You still should care anyway, because RAM access from CPU is slow.