Hey Sup Forums

hey Sup Forums
been using Linux for awhile now
however turns out everyone has to use visual studio at my workplace
is running win10 on virtual machine a bad idea?

Other urls found in this thread:

code.visualstudio.com/download
pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I thought Visual Studio worked on Linux

no it's only for windows

.deb and .rpm files for Visual Studio:
code.visualstudio.com/download

Visual studio is the king of IDEs, no questions asked. You'll want it in a virtual machine with a lot of memory and an SSD. TBQH if you're using Linux you probably want to do things the Linux way, which is everything is a text file you manipulate with a text editor and terminal. My workflow is centered around VS code and a terminal, which I suggest you try first because you can run it natively. Don't listen to anyone on this board when they tell you otherwise, do what works for you

thank you
i had no idea what to do

LoL, It's not Visual Studio. It's "VS Code", a different software. (I like it for Node.js, anyway)

It's fine if it doesn't have internet access

>however turns out everyone has to use visual studio at my workplace
I would switch jobs, honestly

Rather work at a company that knows what it's doing for less than earn lots being a visual shit code monkey

>don't make good money, quit your job and work on things I approve of

If the company mainly uses .NET, you don't really have much better options than Visual Studio.

what happens if it has Internet access?
any real consequences?

micropajeet's spyware mode activates

Just get Virtualbox or VMWare, you'll love snapshots once VS fails to install or shits the entire Windows system.

Yes it's a bad idea. W10 installs a rootkit when accessed through a VM, so you might as well just install W10. For Virtual Studio it's surely worth it. Probably the greatest IDE of all time.

VSCode might outpace VS someday but not in the near future.

Even if you use some form of mandatory access control on your virtual machine?

You're thinking of Visual Studio Code, which is just a basically a text editor on steroids.

nice thing about windows in a vm is you can just shut down vm when windows shits itself and give it another go, shitposting all the while and listening to music etc.

this shit is hardware level son.
no system is secure or sandboxed.
ever since the athlon 2 and core 2 due both amd and intel have hardwarelevel backdoors.

>download Visual Studio
>your installation will require 22GB of space
lol, no thanks sir, atom will do

w10 anniversary is way too new to know if it's vm ready.

What the actual fuck?

It runs on a VM just fine. Redstone is essentially the Server 2016 RTM code pushed to Windows 10.

I mean

okay

but it's only been out for a few weeks now

>using node.js

nu-male milennial homo programmer here.

does anyone have more information on the rootkit?
is it true?

newfag

install windows on a separate partition, then install x, switch to bash, etc.

According to : pavelfatin.com/typing-with-pleasure/

Yes, it is a bad idea.

>nu-male milennial homo programmer here.
Hi there, nu-male milennial homo programmer.
How's tricks?

You don't need virtual machine.

Visual Studio works fine with Wine on Linux.

If you are worried about latency then you would stay away from Visual Studio because it runs like shit even on supercomputer.

You will always have hardware level backdoors, this doesn't magically dissappear if you don't use Windows 10. It's perfectly safe to run it virtualised.

Nah it doesn't.

just do what you gotta do to pay the bills

>my 5 year old PC is a supercomputer
It runs fine as long as you're not using a potato.

Welcome to the real world, where everyone uses Windows.

Grow up or continue being a linux manchild.

>download atom
>your installation will install in the background to an arbitrary directory, and take who knows how much space

no thanks, I'll keep using cat

Since this is work, you should be running Windows as your main OS. Now with bash on windows10, it should be bearable.

It's just fine. It doesn't take too long to set up and test a VM in any case, so "too new to know if it's vm ready" should have not been a problem within 30 minutes of its release (not to mention its months-long beta)

Seems like you haven't used it for projects bigger than Hello World.

>however turns out everyone has to use visual studio at my workplace

Use VM, stay for a few months to not look like an unreasonable/complicated person in your job history, look for another job.

I work on a quite a large MFC codebase, for the most part VS performs quite decently once it has loaded the project and finished parsing the files. Ocassionally, intellisense and the refactor tool can be a bit slow but it's no big deal imo.

I never said it was unbearable, but there is no point worrying about latency if you are going to use VS anyway.
VM won't change VS experience. In fact, if you only run VS in VM without additional stuff usually running in Windows and cut of internet access it might even perform better than having Windows as main system.

>it might even perform better than having Windows as main system.

It works perfectly fine in a virtual machine.

I have a paid W10 license, installed it in Virtual Box and got free Visual Studio from my university. Everything works just fine for me, and should for you as long as your computer is powerful enough.

ITT tinfoil hat alarmists

>>cat
No thanks I'll keep using VI.

What kind of shit security policy does your "workplace" have if you're allowed to do this.

If everyone is using Meme Studio then your office must smell like shit and curry.

OMG so much interesting threads tonight.

>using Windows
>security policy

Pick one.