Is Docker the future? Everything from startups to fortune 500s are starting to develop new platforms on it

Is Docker the future? Everything from startups to fortune 500s are starting to develop new platforms on it.

Discuss

Other urls found in this thread:

boycottdocker.org/
vitavonni.de/blog/201503/2015031201-the-sad-state-of-sysadmin-in-the-age-of-containers.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_Containers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What is it?

What is this nu male start up rubbish. No thanks OP.

tl;dr: container virtualization platform

nothing to say against the tech, just shitposting :^)

Alright buddy. Have fun.

boycottdocker.org/

Docker is complete garbage. I work infosec for a fortune 50 company and docker is getting rammed down our throats by reddit developer faggots. It's going to undermine all of our security efforts and has a good chance to increase data breaches a million fold.

originally, a proprietary wrapper of the open source LXC.

How so user? How do you guys use it?

It's nu male shit.

Not going to say. But just imagine a world where production pograms are not e-discoverable because they are destroyed and created at will. Also imagine a platform with almost no built in security handling all of your sensitive customer records over the internet (think CC#s, SSNs, etc.)

now imagine dev teams that have no idea what they're doing with docker because it is so new other than WE NEED TO USE DOCKER BECAUSE REDDIT. It's a perfect storm of shit that could lead to industry collapse.

why don't you tell them your concerns, user?

It won't lead to industry collapse

It will just lead to startup failure, like every other technology

The first doesn't sound so bad, depends on what you are doing. We're up to our asses in VMs anyway because of muh sandboxing (are vms safer in your experience?). The second is criminal

I have until I'm blue in the face. They just say that I'm a roadblock to their progress.

VMs are not ideal but at least they are better sandboxes than docker. They're also easier to perform ediscovery on and have been out for decades so people know how to configure them correctly.

>container virtualization platform
wtf does that mean?
There's also mentioning of isolation
but what is isolated from what? And why?

>no built in security handling

What the fuck does that even mean?

Docker is a meme. Serverless architectures are the future.

It's widely used becasue it works.
Only butthurt Pajeets cry about it becasue it doesn't run natively on their precious Windows.

Were I work we haven't switched to docker from vms because we're scared of kernel exploits, (same kernel as host and over all conts, nice meme) and privilege escalation (if root on cont breaks out, he's root om host, again, nice meme). A shop near us switched and managed to pull a poisoned image and got all their shit snooped. We provide a niche product but we're too small to have infosec on hand, however we try very hand to be up to date on the news and not jump on any bandwagons. Is bare metal still where it's at? We got one fagit touting quick deploy times... We just told him to write better deploy scripts

Otherwise knows as "Amazon's servers"

I'm getting into it now. I have a client that uses Docker, Kubernetes, and Openshift... Which I guess is Docker and Kubernetes together. Anywho they're pestering me to take over managing their containerized infrastructure so I'm gonna learn it inside and out.

rip Ian Murdock :(

ITT: Frauds who thought they would be able to make a career out of meme deploy scripts (usually call themselves "DevOps professionals") who will soon be replaced by containerization tools like Docker. Seriously kill yourselves, you are worthless and a waste of money for your employer.

The idea behind containers are pretty good, but I don't think docker is doing it right.

but le new architecture is a le reddit maymay xD

Fucking hell, this. Every time there's a new paradigm in computing, there's people crying because it's new and they have to learn entirely new ways of thinking about things.

>kernel exploits
This is a problem with any virtualization. If the hypervisor gets owned, you're dead.

I thought maybe I didn't understand it, it sounded fucking insane to me.

Mind if I ask, very very briefly, what virtualization and stack do you think is best stuff for security purposes?

Because I was debating doing some minor medical software, and the current standards are just incredibly low to non-existent. Like they're using stuff a 12 year old can hack and nothing is inter-operable.

>what virtualization and stack do you think is best stuff for security purposes?
Not him but KVM+Qemu is pretty widespread and hard to beat

It's aight for basic stuff. You can standardize a dev team's environment, which is nice. But as far as I have used it there is no way to mix and match dev environments, so unless the exact one exists, you're going to have to roll your own shit entirely, which isn't too bad.

If you want to do anything with a GPU, or in general interact with heterogeneous hardware level stuff, you can just kill yourself right now.

yes
is just a tool, really insecure tho, spotify knows that I have another instance, firefox too. But it takes all kind of configurations is up tu ypu make it secure

>Not going to say

Lol so I guess youll be looking for work soon. Because containers are replacing VM's the efficiencies are just too great to not move over. Once you have the team capable of rebuilding your apps for it. Microservices and all that.

While Docker is a startup, container technology is not and google and amazon have been using it in their DCs for years now.

Thank you much, kind sir. *tips fedora*

Srsly, thx. Sometimes I feel like it's impossible to get straight answers out of people on any practical questions.

What I'm saying is that focusing on shit stacks instead of hiring competent admins will kill new startups

not talking about docker the company

>production pograms are not e-discoverable because they are destroyed and created at will
Your company doesn't tag releases or maintain a build repository? What the fuck is your development department smoking?

>imagine a platform with almost no built in security handling all of your sensitive customer records over the internet
Ah, never mind, confirmed shitpost.

re. the second post I think he was trying to reference stuff like vitavonni.de/blog/201503/2015031201-the-sad-state-of-sysadmin-in-the-age-of-containers.html

Lurk moar.

Seriously though user if you don't know what it is you have no business using it.

>Also imagine a platform with almost no built in security handling all of your sensitive customer records over the internet (think CC#s, SSNs, etc.)
enjoy not being PCI compliant, newfag.

>docker
>new paradigm
Right. I'll be back when you discover the Add/Remove programs feature in Windows.

In Linux World, it's a new paradigm. For old Solaris heads like myself, it's not much more than a Linux implementation of Solaris zones.

Explain Docker to me like a nigger please

This. Explain it to us retards on Sup Forums who can barely program. Seen this Docker shit all over the Go libraries and it's pissing me off.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solaris_Containers

its ^^^ that but for gahnoo people.

so when you bust a niggas house and you go through the door you end up in a big box with a fake interiour and all, and there are tiny doors to the real house spread everywhere

that way nobody can enter the real house and you are trapped

Cloud computing lock-in tool

Yet another hipster fad.

They made a badly designed way to handle containers and are good at marketing it. I certainly would not use it in production.

I''ve got docker on my laptop, and I'm trying to stick everything on it. Libreoffice? Docker container. Lemonbar? Docker container. I'm even posting from a docker container right now.