/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-5-vga-mode.html?
archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gvfs/
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55899614#p55899943
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55472222#p55477683
rbt.asia/g/thread/S55488184#p55502261
arch-anywhere.org/
youtube.com/watch?v=N4FlL1FCbvA
ho.tlo.li).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

From the previous thread:
It seems to lack a .deb package, do I need to compile from source?
I'll check it out.

Trying to get VM working properly.
Currently it's displaying through the passed-through GPU, but it's in some wierd low color mode. I'll try installing windows.

'
qemu-system-x86_64 \
-enable-kvm \
-smp sockets=1,cores=4,threads=1 \
-m 8192 \
-name Windows \
-cpu host,kvm=off \
-bios /usr/share/qemu/bios.bin \
-vga none \
-device ich9-usb-uhci3,id=uhci \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.0,multifunction=on,x-vga=on \
-device vfio-pci,host=05:00.1 \
-drive media=cdrom,readonly,file=windows7pro.iso \
-drive file=/media/Vanadium/wondows.img,id=disk,format=raw \
-usbdevice host:413c:2105 \
-usbdevice host:046d:c401 \
-monitor stdio \

wtf i HATE linux mint now

Is it worth it to learn how to use ncmpcpp given that this alone was a bitch to set up and I do have Clementine installed?

>not in kde
how to configure kwin?

it does not show the "Window manager settings" when clicked

what do

surf

Any reason you're using SeaBIOS VM? Do you have an Intel iGPU? Did you patch your i915 driver like described here: vfio.blogspot.com/2015/05/vfio-gpu-how-to-series-part-5-vga-mode.html?

I'm running xeons
and I don't really know the differences in BIOS's

right click the title bar in terminal

go to more settings

should be right there.

am begging for help here, this is over my head

I was on a live cd session of lubuntu, encrypted a USB, and saved some files onto it.

when I go onto my main OS, even though I have the password, it shows that I have no permission to access it.
I went back onto the live usb to see if it made a difference - it didn't.
then I followed the instructions on screen, and I get pic related.

what can I do, Sup Forums?
please, I'm stumped

>right click the title bar
>go to more settings
>should be right there.
that's what i did/do but nothing shows up

>in terminal
what

Xeons can also have iGPU. And you really should be using UEFI EDK2 OVMF if your pass-through GPU can use UEFI.
But how about you make this easy, and list your hardware?

nothing in this thing is UEFI
Supermicro X8DAI
2x Intel Xeon X5570
32GB DDR3
AMD HD 5770 (linux)
NVIDIA GTX 660 Ti [(passed through)

I really like the Slackware philosophy and don't have trouble getting it installed.

Is it particularly more difficult to use on a daily basis than another distro I'm considering, Fedora?

Any tips from those who use it? Not a total Linux newbie but I'm coming from the world of Ubuntu.

I can’t boot on my flash drive unless my motherboard is in CMS mode. When installing Gentoo, should I keep the motherboard in CMS mode and follow the BIOS steps or is it possible to follow the EFI steps and deactivate the CMS mode when it’s done?

If I'm setting up system for a complete tech illiterate like a grandparent or a gamer friend who needs help resetting a router, would ubuntu or manjaro be a better choice?

Install Debian.

there should be a "more options" button is there not? post a screenshot

I'm looking to change my old laptop from Windows 7 to a GNU/Linux system, but I am not sure where to start. I know it's trial and error, but I'd like suggestions to some distributions that are clean and minimalist to a degree. Something that isn't bloated or doesn't feel bloated. I'm still browsing the wikis though.

Also, for when I do switch, what are some alternatives for foobar2000 and irfanview image browser? I'd like a music player that has folder structure or folder browser capability so I don't have to worry about tagging everything.

>56087832
yes there is

>hover over more options
>click window manager settings
>nothing

When I boot up, SDDM shows a black screen until I switch to another virtual terminal and then back again. Is this a known issue at all?

Well install gentoo so you can be a meme lord. Follow the wiki and the install isn't hard.

So I've spent a lot time on beginner distros and several versions of Ubuntu/Mint. I'm wanting to step up my privacy/security beyond Ubuntu, and I have enough skill that I can adapt if I need to, but I'm not "looking for trouble". I'd love it if I could deploy a distro without too much extra tinkering. Is Debian a good choice? Is it a lot harder to use? Which version is best? My other big concern is that whenever I've had to leave the repositories for third party software, websites have always had a neatly labeled little Ubuntu installer or PPA. I'm assuming those won't just work for Debian? I still don't have a firm grasp on how software is released for different distros and how cross-comatable they are. Hence why I've spent so much time jumping around between the *bunutus. Any input is greatly appreciated

ncmcpp is horribly complicated

u - update database
space - add to playlist
p - pause
tab - switch list and folder view
+,- volume up/down
r - repeat

i cant see anyone remembering that...

Dont listen to faggots here, ubuntu is perfectly fine nowadays, debian is more maybe more stable but also bigger hassle. If you really want something secure just use SELinux or something...

>more maybe more

just woke up...

>I'm wanting to step up my privacy/security beyond Ubuntu

Come back when you actually used the options you have on Ubuntu.

Debian and ubuntu are the same thing

Ok, I should have been more clear. I don't trust ubuntu since the amazon search thing, or just the general direction they've been going in. And going down the foodchain to mint feels like a half-assed solution. I realize that any distro can be reconfigured if you get down to the nitty gritty, I'm just trying to figure out if there's any good reason to stick with ubuntu.

So I can install any ubuntu package on debian?

SElinux is not a distro you dolt.

Apparently, you like to add PPAs to your system, which is on the one hand a pretty Ubuntu-specific thing and on the other hand a nightmare from a security point of view.
Somehow, this isn't a concern for you at all. Get your priorities straight.

>I'm just trying to figure out if there's any good reason to stick with ubuntu.
There is: reasonable trade-off between stability and newest software in repos, including security patches and fixes. This means that Ubuntu, unlike Debian, doesn't need to have a bunch of devs developing their own custom security patches, like with iceweasel. You get all the lates security fixes right away.

I understand you don't like the Amazon thing. Uninstall unity-desktop and install xfce or lxde instead.

I never said it was, i said ubuntu is fine if you want security just use SELinux as install it

Oh, okay. Sorry

There is not amazon shills in latest ubuntu so you dont have to worry about it, besides nobody is forcing you to use unity. Install xfce or something and problem solved

No problems, i might have put it bit odd.

If you got as deep as Slackware, you should realise that all distributions are more or less the same shit.

I understand the problem with PPAs, and I take it seriously. That's actually the same reason I'm not particularly drawn to arch's AUR, because anyone can just make an account, sign a package and just throw it in the pile. What I'm saying is that sometimes there's something you want that happens to not be in the repositories, and if you trust that developer it's nice to have the option to install that way. Which is why I'm trying to understand how cross-compatable distro packages are. Also it just seems like something useful to know in general.

I guess what I'm saying is I don't trust Canonical, and while I realize a mostly open source system can't pull microsoft levels of shit, this doesn't feel like what I left windows for. Would debian testing really be that much more of a pain in the ass?

How would I decouple mpd's volume from my system main volume?

I have mpd set to use Pulse. It had separate volume control all until I updated my system a couple of days ago. Now when I change the volume in when listening to music with ncmpcpp, it changes the system volume.

>I don't trust canonical
>not what I left Windows for
Go install trisquel or gnewsense and go suck on rms. You should use Linux because it's convenient and powerful, not because you're some tinfoil hat wearing freetard.

Debian testing is basically like a retarded big brother of Ubuntu. You miss out on both debian's and ubuntu's stability as well as ubuntu's fast release cycle.

Debian isn't any longer the King of stability. A lot of other distros have matured and grown up, and modern-time Ubuntu is what Debian-testing should have been IMO.

So in a "friendly" linux thread, in the middle of Sup Forums, I'm being called a tinfoil for wanting a version of linux not made by a blatantly sellout company? I'm not saying I need the FSF's stamp of approval, it just seems like Canonical went to shit around the time they scrapped their Manifesto for being incompatible with their attempts to sell out. Anyway my reasons are my reasons. If ubuntu didn't exist what would be the next best choice?

Why is apt-get considered bad? What is it that yum or pacman do that apt-get doesn't?

dont listen to this jackass, hes just trolling.
i cant speak for debian testing but ive heard good things about it. i use the aur daily and youre right, its risky in theory. but how risky compared to other distros methods or windows style downloading exe files, or even manual compilation, well, you can see where this is going, you wont be finding 100% security anywhere. go ahead and give debian a try, theyre one of the most respected distros and take freedom seriously.

>canonical
>blatant sellout
Wtf are you on about? You've fallen for too many Sup Forums memes

>I don't know anything about it but I still feel I'm entitled to have opinions and call people who disagree "trolls"

Just apt is better, apt-get can be a tad messy with dependencies

>I don't know anything about it but I still feel I'm entitled to have opinions and call people who disagree "trolls"'
know anything about what? the only thing i am criticising here is your view that you're entitled to come here and tell someone who obviously cares about their freedom that they shouldn't care, and im pretty damn sure considering this is the friendly gnu/linux thread you've got to be trolling.

How do I install gvfs with pacman? when I do "pacman -S gvfs" it returns "gvfs: command not found". I'm pretty sure gvfs is the correct package name archlinux.org/packages/extra/x86_64/gvfs/

I have a old netbook with windows 7
Specs are really low, any suggestions on what I could switch it over to?

Don't have it on me atm but in a couple of hours I will. It has a decent battery and keyboard so I'd like to make it useful again

Distro doesn't generally matter, except for the ones that force a heavy Desktop Environment on you.

What's your linux experience level?

Ubuntu isn't a bad distro.

use the netinstall then

Do not speak unless spoken to.

then use the netinstall

>I'm not particularly drawn to arch's AUR, because anyone can just make an account, sign a package and just throw it in the pile.
nobody is stopping you from looking at the pkgbuild

Limited but I installed on several machines. I know enough to get into it but also that there is a lot I don't know.

I have experience with elementary and kde

arch-anywhere.org/

Thoughts? Torrenting it right now to try it out.

well, kde MIGHT be easier on the specs than windows, but I'm not willing to bet on it. XFCE or openbox are your best bets if it's a real concern.
What are you hoping to do with it? web, video, etc

I appreciate your input, but what I'm trying to say is that I don't want to use ubuntu period. I'm not really interested in debating it, I only elaborated in case it would help with suggesting OTHER distros. I only mentioned AUR in the context of discussing PPAs; I wouldn't choose arch specifically for it, but I've got nothing against it either.

Web, note taking, maybe try to learn a bit of coding. Don't need to do video other than maybe in browser

Win7 runs ok but I can get quite sluggish at times. I'll post back with the specs when I get home tho

What DE does /glt/ use?
I'm currently on Sugar and it's sweet.

Slackware is not only source-based, it has no package manager. Packages are downloaded and compiled using commands and shell scripts, and there's all the hassle of the manual install.

Fedora, conversely, is a "just werks" distribution with the second-best package manager in the business (portage is king).

In terms of difficulty to use, Slackware is on a different level.

> contract diabetes from that screenshot

I use KDE Plasma.

Is there an "origin" for linux? Like somewhere it comes from before it hits debian and the other upstream distros?

>Fedora, conversely, is a "just werks" distribution with the second-best package manager in the business
But it doesn't have YaST.

>it has no package manager
It has. The package manager just does not resolve dependencies.

kernel.org

Okay so if found the netbook

>originally winxp device (for some reason it has win7 installed)
>atom n280
>1gb ram
>32bit system
>500gig hd

Should I just reinstall winxp or is there something that would work well for what I wanna do on this netbook?

Just wanna: note take in class, research on Web, maybe put email client.

Install GNU+Linux.

Pretty much any distribution will do, you want a lightweight DE or window manager though.
I'd recommend Xfce.

how do I use the old default xcursor theme and not Adwaita?

I run Lubuntu on eee pc 1101ha.

it works for reading and coding but codeblox crashes sometimes

I have this issue with XFCE, when the mouse pointer "disappear" but still function normally.
Mostly happens when mpv is playing a video and I move the mouse.
To get the mouse pointer back I either have to restart, logout and login or change virtual consoles.
Any idea how to fix it?

It's not an XFCE issue but an MPV issue, since I get similar problems in KDE

>MPV issue
I thought it's XFCE related since the converter script crop function didn't work well with me.
So is there a fix?

Use another player, I guess.

Other than that?
MPV is really nice, though I admit it causes the CPU temp to reach 70-80 C when watching 1080p Blu-Ray files.

Help me /fglt/

what was the URL of that site with a clip of some anime shoujo transformation scene with linux jargon in the subtitles

>mouse disappearing
Use a different build
>CPU temps
Use a different vo profile

This?
youtube.com/watch?v=N4FlL1FCbvA

Is there a lightweight fork of Evince/Atril without the Gnome/Mate dependencies?

>Use a different build
What build?
I'm on the GIT master.
>VO profile
Tried similar results, currently I'm on opengl-hq:no-deband since it's the besst quality for temps with SW decoders.

Never mind. I just found out there's evince-no-gnome in the AUR.

Exactly that. I was looking for the meme site, but it seems to be down (ho.tlo.li).

What's the best password manager for gahnoo / linux? I was assuming keepass but was wondering if there was anything else suitable?

GNU/Brain

it uses revolutionary storage based on connecting abstract concepts to each other

But I have so many different passwords there's no way I can remember passwords of that length for every single account I have

Write them on a piece of paper and store into a special container. Storing passwords digitally is a very_bad_idea for reasons that should be too obvious to explain.

I'm using the non-git build (0.18.1) and haven't had that issue ever on openbox or xfce.

>writing on a piece of paper
that's a very bad idea, unless you have very poor hand writing.

But then I'd have to take a piece of paper everywhere with me, and people could easily find it. What if I forget it or leave it in a pocket?

Encrypted spreadsheets

/fglt

in bash scripts how do I compare a variable to a range of string values.
like $number == ['a-z'] is that correct???

write them on a piece of paper you carry in your wallet or somewhere, however don't write the real passwords, but something that becomes the passwords after applying an easily memorized modification (like appending something or inserting something at easily memorizable positions)
while that would probably be cracked with a dictionary attack, nobody will ever take the time to run a dictionary attack over random letters they found on a piece of paper.

If I purge openssh-client and openssh-server on Ubuntu, is the SSH login disabled? Will I be safe from brute force SSH login attacks?

You don't need to remove openssh-client, but yes.

I just installed Ubuntu and ran "sudo apt-get purge openssh-server."

Got this.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Package 'openssh-server' is not installed, so not removed
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.

Does this mean it is not pre-installed? Can I just forget about it?

>taking them with you
Just memorize those you need everyday.

In case anyone was wondering, the solution to the terrible lagging problem with MPD over HTTP is to have it encode to FLAC. Surely a better idea would be to not have it encode at all.

I wish to install Lubuntu on a laptop.

I could do that then. But currently I use a gpg encrypted text file.