Why does Sup Forums consider CS a meme? I'm going into it in two weeks when college starts

Why does Sup Forums consider CS a meme? I'm going into it in two weeks when college starts.
My teacher told us last year that there's like 500k people working in the CS field but 1.2 million jobs available in like 2020. Is this true

You should ask your teacher why they're teaching when they have a time machine.

I should've added the word predicted

Because university teaches the theory behind a field, which rarely has much overlap with applicable job skills.

Get a CS degree if you wanna do something like original research on AI, not if you want to get paid buku bux making apps.

Show me a job listing making apps at a legitimate company that does not require a CS degree.

Because it's not a science and it's not about computers. MIT CS grad told me this (not an MIT Nigger, an actual Jew.)

It's just annoying that it's being buttraped from all directions as "the last viable career." Roasties want in, pajeets want in, everyone wants in, the companies want to teach it in elementary.

This can't end well.

Isn't CS just bad CE?

>those retarded dog snapchat effect

That's some of the ugliest shit i've ever seen. It's ugly to the point of being obnoxious. What the fuck is wrong with normies holy shit.

evolution doesn't work that well when you let everyone survive

No. "Real" CS courses are completely different than CE.

women take CS, men take CE

>talking out of asshole

please OP don't get career advice from this board

Because most schools don't teach anything worth learning. Not from a theory perspective, and not from an industry perspective.

If your school offers a class on "OOP Programming" it's a shit degree and worth nothing. If Java is used as a teaching language, it's a shit degree and worth nothing.

The problem is you have these schools compromising to cater to what the industry says they want(Java code monkeys), and you end up with this Frankenstein monster curriculum that is a mishmash of irrelevant topics like OOP and theory which is just mathematics the grads will never end up using. So it's usually a waste of time.

If you go to a good school then perhaps this is not a problem, but they are very rare.

If you're going to university to become a code monkey you're doing it wrong.

>if your school offers classes it is a shit degree.
look, you might not want to use OOP, but you have to realize that it is a popular design paradigm.
If there is time, you should learn how to structure an application.
We had a course on it, which mostly was a waste of time, but that had more to do with the timing (it was in the beginning, alongside an introduction to c++) and the two courses did not overlap.
Now we have fixed the course, so it is relevant to the students, but I don't think it should be cut entirely.
It is in the same category as pure programming courses, essential, but also a weird thing to spend too much time on.

If your education consist of nothing but introduction to language X, it would be a shitty education.
But no programming courses would be weird as well.

It is all about balance.
Most educations has at least one mandatory class about how the scientific community works or something. You cannot and you should not have educations without this kind of stuff.
You should be able to speak the same language as your colleges.

they write it down because they don't know better.

I got a Job in IT with an Interview for a Business Position for which I was underqualified, but since I could flawlessly explain my contribution to a dictionary by mapping translations on Wikipedia, thus generating 30.000 entries to-be-approved within one hour, I was hired for a more technical position to be going from there.

The chance to hire someone who can code get higher if you require a CS degree, but they never hire you for the degree, only for the skills.
Problem is, they know all certificates you can get in that field are garbage and tell you nothing about Skill in the craft.

Take a cs degree if you have a genuine interest in the field and are not conserned with making lots of money. It's a bad idea to take it thinking you will come out with an $80k a year job

Largely ignore everyone who says this. Go with CS if you're interested in what they're teaching BUT:

Learn outside of lectures and exercise classes. Learn a language they don't teach, read a book not on their list, you will never have this much free time again.

It will though, at least for us (as in, people with actual skills in the field i.e. people who know what cmd on windows is and does).

The following generation will learn to "kode" my stupid cookie clicker games. They may be able to generate some flawless logic, but will be fucked once they run into some bad request errors, missing syntax elements, running and maintaining a server, commiting to a github etc.

Trivial shit for us because we are used to and enjoy fiddling until the fucking shit works. Generation iPhone will be like that? Forget it.

If you know a little bit of history, you would know that the 2020 predictions only exist to sell the school.

This is what people said about engineering I the early 80s, but by the late 80s EVERYONE had an engineering degree, therefore a lot of engineers were starving artists.

Sure the CS market is hot now, but in four years, with so many people getting CS degrees there may be few jobs left.

Try to figure out what the next big wave will be, instead of grabbing the tail end of this wave.

>Google, Facebook, Amazon, Tesla, Apple, Dropbox, Netflix, just don't know any better

Because the degree is used to create engineers but it is called computer "science". That triggers the pure science elitists.

Though it is true that most CS stuff should probably be posted on Sup Forums instead.

>knows about random effects inside a normie app
>talks shit about those normies