youtube.com/watch?v=6YyZkLyxMds&t=4m3s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>graphic
>(gra)
>g
It's gif.

stupid argument for stupid people.

/thread

>It is understandable that computer users who encounter this acronym for the first time might well assume that since the “G” stands for “graphic,” gif should similarly be pronounced with an initial hard g, as in go and give. However, the inventor of the format, Steve Wilhite, has insisted from its introduction at a computer conference in the late 1980s that the pronunciation is [jif] (Show IPA) with an initial soft g, as in gelatin and giant. That pronunciation is even part of the official specifications for the format and is the one used by many computer gurus, but both pronunciations are commonly in use.

Retards.

chif

zcheef

NB4 some faggot thinks he can define the pronunciation of words by using mental gymnastics.

>photographic
>(pho)
>ph
.jpheg

Jeff

Is it pronounced g-u-i or gooie

djeef. Has its inventor wanted.

It's gif. Even the creator said so.

>waiting for him to fire
>waiting
>waiting
>realize its looping
Well fuck you too.

This is why you don't come up with extensions/acronyms until after you have decided what they stand for.

George is pronounced with a J

Therefore it is jif

>the creator said so.
that matters why?

niggers are subhuman.
That is not racist because I say so.

>.jfag
Yes.

Sure is warm outside...

Gif, most of the world doesn't speak your shite language, so it's half of english speakers + most of the rest of the world against a handful of retards.

I think we just disagree how g is pronounced.
You think g is always a hard g like Gregory, even though you know cases where it is pronounced another way.

J is a different letter.
People who made the language didn't make mistakes or trolled you because they used g's instead of j's.

If you want to use other letters, why not add a d?

Then it would be djiff

But almost everyone says gif, as gift without t. Nobody cares about the person who made it, flash drives are still called "USB", "sticks" or "USB sticks" by everyone I know, I've never heard anyone actually say the words flash drive.

> Is it pronounced .gif or .jif?
Yes.

youtube.com/watch?v=MSJaSS_Zj0Y

If you pronounce it "gif" then you're literally the stupidest person alive and should not be able to have children.

/thread

>protip, spergs: the pronunciation of acronyms has nothing to do with the words that the acronym letters stand for.

What's your name?
What if we all went around pronouncing your name "incorrectly" and then you said "But it's MY name! I get to decide how it's pronounced!" and then we all said "That matters why?"

Get it?

Gee eye eff.

THANK YOU

how do you pronounce ginger, nigger? what's so unnatural about that?

It's both.
as an acronym it should be gif, because acronyms follow conventions when read allowed.
The most similar words in english are git and gift.
So the creator's intention is meaningless.

However, he thought of the name BEFORE the acronym.
That means it can follow brand-rules where the reading can be whatever they want.
Thus jif is correct in that sense.

So read as an acronym for graphics Interchange Format it's gif but read as the name for graphics Interchange Format it's jif.

>acronym
It's a file extension. Gee Eye Eff. Jif.

Gee Eye Eff.
G I F
where do you get a J out of that?
allahu snackbar

>So the creator's intention is meaningless.
See
Then kill yourself.

that's a stupid post to link and you're stupid for thinking it holds water.
A name is not the same as an acronym.
Gif as a name is jif, which is what I said.
Gif as an acronym, a way to shorten "graphics interchange format" is gif.

The analogy of a person's name does not work because the individual letters of a persons name does not stand for anything.

So? It's an acronym. Doesn't follow those rules - Is jpeg a jay-feg because the p is photographic?

How do you pronounce G?
That's where you get it.

You've never seen a file extension before, have you? This is the sort of thing we get when Windows hides these things by default. Idiots just don't know...

wonder when he's gonna shoot. ive been waiting here for 2 minutes...

gif

the creator doesn't get to make up new grammar rules

>new
Rules of file extensions are older then you are, kid.

jpeg is part initialism and part acronym.
Acronyms you can say like a word, like SATA.
You wouldn't say ESS AYY TEE AYY, (you can but most don't).

Initialisms you spell it out, like CRT.
You wouldn't say CURT, you say CEE ARR TEE.

JPEG cannot be said like a word because of the JP, unless you said JIPEG however PEG can be said like a word.
So you split the difference and say JAY-PEG.

You are correct though, the word the individual letters represent does not affect the reading of the acronym.

99.5% of words that begin with "Gi" or "Ge" are pronounced with a soft G.

People who pronounce GIF with a hard G should be neutered.

>99.5% of words that begin with "Gi" or "Ge" are pronounced with a soft G.

No.

t. Dutchman

gift, git.
The two closest words in english.
Gin is a soft g but gift includes gif anyway so it makes more sense for it to be the hard G.

>git
soft G

>jit
is this a joke?

>he's never seen a file extension

>if I keep posting it, it will be true!

like giant or giraffe

you said it yourself
Gee
literally no one pronounces it J if they want to work in computers

you mean those two words that are much longer with different compositions?

>creator so retarded he doesnt comprehend english pronunciation, his format is now obsolete
got what he deserved

Just because the creator is a fuckin sperglord it doesn't make jiff sound better. It's gif. End of story.

jifff

The man who invented it agrees as well.

>he doesn't know how to pronounce G

Also gil (4oz measurement unit in US standard, 5oz in Imperial)

You're right, it's gif. g-i-f. Pronounced Jiff.

both /gzif/ and /gif/ are correct, just like octupi and octupussies.

read the thread.
creators get to decide the pronunciation of names, not acronyms.
gif was decided upon as the name BEFORE it meant graphics interchange format.
That means if you're pronouncing the name gif it's jifff.

However if you're pronouncing the acronym of graphics interchange format (shortening it down) it's gifff.

The whole reason this is so contentious is because the idea of a word existing as both abbreviation and a name confuses people.

You are all wrong

It's a file extension, not an acronym.

The reason its contentious is because Jiff makes no sense and theres literally no reason to say it like that

Giraff, Gigantic,
Is this really a unique concept to you?

it is an acronym, you don't get to just make up new rules.
Look up "file name acronyms" and you'll figure it out.
Not all file extensions are acronyms but some are.
If they are to abbreviate a longer meaning and can be said as a word, then they are acronyms.
Some file extensions are initialisms and some are neither.
But that still doesn't make file extensions exempt from conventions if they do in fact exist as acronyms.

There is a reason though.
If the creator decides that as a name it's Jiff, then it's Jiff.
But only as a name.
gif as an acronym for graphics interchange format is no longer merely a name, it's abbreviation and thus follows convention.

So gif exists as both a name and acronym with a different pronunciation for each.

youtube.com/watch?v=6YyZkLyxMds&t=4m3s

over ruled.

File extensions have their own rules.

except that has nothing to do with how you pronounce them you fucking mongoloid

want to post some kind of source to back that up?
I highly doubt there is anything, anywhere that officially separates file extension abbreviations from every other abbreviation in english.

You really don't belong here.

you can keep posting this but it isn't ever going to change how wrong you are.

>he's literally never seen a file extension

Like all words in the English language it's "proper" pronunciation is how the majority of people using the word pronounce it, inventing the word doesn't mean jack shit, pronunciations and even definitions change based on the current zeitgeist. More people pronounce it with a hard g, so that's the proper way.

Here's a thing guys, acronyms are just abbreviations of names, they are not words and shouldn't be pronounced and instead unabbreviated version should be spelled out.

Every pronunciation of of acronym is jargon not an actual word with actual defined pronunciation.

>acronyms shouldn't be pronounced
if they can't be pronounced they aren't acronyms

>Facebookers matter
No, you don't.

can't and shouldn't are two different things, when talking you shouldn't say "I triple E" you should say "Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers"

when you first said it (without knowing anything about the argument over jif - gif), how did you pronounce it? Language develops by being spoken, not by being defined. Mt Everest should be pronounced Mt EEverest, because it's named after a general who was pronounced that way. Nobody pronounces it that way though.

I personally (and everyone I know) called it gif instead of jif, so I'll stay with that.

That's not an acronym, that's an initialism.
Also that's an odd case where even spelling it out doesn't help much, triple letter initialisms are pretty rare.

ITT: 41 idiots arguing about deprecated technology.

yiff

He shoots at minute 6

>American
>Uh-merican
>NATO
NUhTO