asciiexpress.net/diskserver/
techland.time.com/2010/01/06/the-10-greatest-games-for-the-apple-ii/
fidonet.ozzmosis.com/echomail.php/apple/847175fcfa17e534.html
youtube.com/watch?v=r7zS4OI8jOs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

bump

Arch on my Apple //e via agetty.

asciiexpress.net/diskserver/

This lets you actually stream in Apple II disk images through the cassette port and copy them to a disk.

techland.time.com/2010/01/06/the-10-greatest-games-for-the-apple-ii/

But every game he lists has a (better) version on the C64 or Atari 800.

There are 75 games that can use the DHGR mode of the IIe but all of them you're better off just playing on the C64, PC, or Amiga.

fidonet.ozzmosis.com/echomail.php/apple/847175fcfa17e534.html

They list 71 here, but apparently forgot about a couple of Microprose titles that run in DHGR.

Look out; a lot of Apple IIes and IIcs (also Mac 128/512s) have those shitty Micron 4164 RAM chips in them. Total crap that Apple bought and installed because it was cheap.

Now boot up Lode Runner.

bump

I'm hoping to get a C64 sometime this year.

This site is great. It's the first thing I used when I got my //e.

Also ADTPro of course.

You can probably mod an Apple II to take SRAM. They have an SRAM board for the ZX Spectrum and the Apple II is not any more complicated of a machine.

youtube.com/watch?v=r7zS4OI8jOs

Wheel of Fortune is DHGR. That brings us up to 77 games.

bump

They sold about 6 million Apple IIs with at least 85-90% of that total in the US and Canada.

There is no single Apple II model that can play 99.9% of Apple II games. There were simply too many hardware configurations spanning the 10+ years that the Apple II was relevant. It wasn't like the C64 with one hardware standard. However, you can probably play 80% of the Apple II game library on a //c+ or a late model //e.

The IIc+ was the one with the 3.5" drive, right? You're not gonna find anything on 3.5" format for the Apple II line except late versions of ProDOS/AppleWorks.

A 64K IIe or IIc (which has 128k RAM IIRC) is probably your safest best. I think I'd lean toward the IIe for the simple fact it's expandable. Plus it's got the cassette port so you can stream software from your PC.

Avoid a IIc+. Just get a regular IIc; they have an internal floppy drive, are small, easy to store, and shipping if you buy them on Ebay is way cheaper than a IIe. They can also run pretty much all known Apple II software. At least, I don't know of anything that doesn't work on a IIc. If you get a IIe, it may possibly not have the DHGR card which prevents you from running many later games.

The IIgs is your best bet to play the most games possible, unless you need the cassette port or the game in question relies on firmware quirks in the older Apple IIs. So unless you want to run something from like 1978, the IIgs is the way to go.

What about games that used illegal 6502 opcodes? Those probably won't even work on a //e, IIc, or IIgs.

I don't think all that many games actually had illegal opcodes and some of them at least are ok on 65C02s for example Ms. Pac-Man has the SLO instruction and it does work on all Apple II models.

A IIc would satisfy most casuals who just want something they can plug in and play games on.

Some Broderbund games like Drol and Karateka won't boot on a //e, IIc, or IIgs because the copy protection uses illegal opcodes, but that only applies to original disks, not cracked versions.

The IIe comes in four variants:

1. The original Revision A boards from 1983 (there's not many of these around). They are not able to use DHGR cards.
2. The Revision B IIe which is very common and easy to find.
3. The //e which has the 65C02.
4. The Platinum Edition which has a built in numeric keypad and a few other enhancements.

Unless you're into some old productivity software there's no need for an enhanced IIe.

Disagree. Having 128K opens up additional game options. While it's true that a majority of software used 48 - 64K, a notable portion required 128K, almost 80 games.

Incorrect. The 128k expansion is a function of the 80 column/DHGR card which does not require a //e. The //e differs from the IIe in that it has the 65C02 and slightly different/enhanced ROMs which among other things include support for the Mouse series software packages.

But then you can't run the latest version of Pro-Dos, do AppleWorks, or work with the latest Copy II+.

For fucks fake people, do we really need more than 1 retro thread?
Learn to search.

Sorry, didn't see that thread, switching over

thanks