OVERCLOCKING

Can we get a thread for overclocking discussions?

Question straight away - am i ok to run my pc on high performance all the time ? On power saver it lowers the freqs but on high performance cpu is always running on max freq.

Will this shorten the life of my chip?

You're fine, its only when you significantly overvolt when there's an issue.

You can check the max temps and voltages your specific CPU can handle. If you're within those parameters, the life of your CPU shouldn't be affected too much, I wouldn't think. Maybe it would last 25 years instead of 30, idk.

>overclocking
grampa, this isn't the year 2004 or 2005

Once in power saver mode I undervolted a q8200 from 2.33 to 2 ghz. I got a whooping saving of 25W and even better stability with really unnoticeable perfloss.
With newest intel cpus there's no point anymore, though. So, keep everything to max and don't worry.

Undervolted and so underclocked, silly me.

What's even the point of overclocking? I got memed into buying le overclocker motherboard because I thought it would make my hardware more future proof and help when I got poor performance, but even with liquid cooling and a very aggressive overclock it's impossible to obtain a NOTICEABLE boost in performance, especially GPU performance.

overclocking is actually a substantial gain on intel cpus. anything else is hit or miss though.

I had the Q9550 and an Asus ROG motherboard when I got memed, and when the more powerful i series of CPUs came out mine just couldn't compete in the slightest, I wanted to run PCSX2 (PS2 emulator which back then was VERY intensive on the CPU), and even on massive overclocking there was barely no difference (like 5fps at best). Then I realized overclocking wasn't worth the effort, the performance gain is negligible and not noticeable.

I7 870 here.
4.17ghz, 1.4v
Worth it upgrading to skylake and doing the bclk overclock on an i3 6100 or i5 6400?

Is LLC a must?

I've read pros/cons about having it on/off but yeah, I can't seem to OC since my motherboard doesn't have LLC.

sure, LLC helps a lot, I forget what mine is at, but I just use it to compensate for vdroop, so under full load, 1.3v is around 1.31v, but not too high.

x5460 is a sucker at overclock

i7 920 still running stock clock with p6t-se + h100 cooler

Can I get away with overclocking and getting a new gen gpu to play gamens? probably getting a 480/1060

Any good guides that can help when I do upgrade?

Thanks Sup Forumsents

Depends on what stepping the i7 is. C0 920s are hit and miss on the overclockability, whereas D0 stepping 920s can go higher on less voltage.

Alternatively, you can go grab one of these hex-core Xeons floating around on ebay and OC the fuck out of those. The good ones will usually make it to 4.3-4.5ghz.

I have no idea what im doing, how do I know if its a C0 or D0?

The Xeon thing might be ideal, but thats after I get the new gpu, and I might as well try to overclock the i7 first.

dude i got 11% of performance after OC my hd 7770 just for fun

recommend me a thermal paste, current one is long overdue, temperatures are going through roof

nevermind, I found it in cpu-z, its a D0

You should be able to get 4-4.2ghz out of it if your board can handle the 200mhz bclock required. Decent strength cooling (large air or AIO is recommended) is required, because them first gen i7s were notorious for running hot once overclocked and that heat needs to be controlled.

As for the actual overclocking itself, there are plenty of LGA 1366 overclocking guides out there. Follow what they say and you should be good to go.

>Follow what they say and you should be good to go.

Thanks, my H100 does about 60deg under load atm, I will probably give it a decent dusting and replace the thermal paste when I try it out.

Put some stronger fans on it if the ones on there arent that good, and if you have the room go push-pull.

will a 0.5 GHZ OC on my i7 4790k make much of a differance for performance?

2500K FUCK EVERYONE

Agreed.

word of advice, just because you CAN overclock your $2000+ laptop with i7 6820HK doesn't mean you SHOULD (without air conditioning and a notebook cooler)

I fried my laptop months ago but got it back fixed no charge on warranty. MSI GT72S without air conditioning in the beginning of summer. Going to experiment with OCing in a month after I get some proper air conditioning and an aluminum notebook cooler

I used to do Sub Zero OCing, submitting stuff and completing in HWbot was pretty fun

This is from a few years back

Forgot pic

I used to hold alot of hardware for subzero as well.

And living in Australia made it fucking way too $$$

Jesus, I'm forgetting every picture

This used to be my 24/7 on a P6T SE, now it's a bit lower (222) because of DPC latency issues.

>the top shelf

Jesus Christ, take some weight off.

Well, it all depends on the board. Some boards even of the same make and model are simply worse at overclocking than others, and X58 in general doesnt really like going past 200mhz.

there's no benefit to doing that, it keeps idle parts of the cpu powered on and generating excess heat.

Reporting in

prime95 crushed again, what should i do?

Push for 4.

And get some better cooling.

Keep your current CPU.

get on my level

>tfw when you are the record holder for your config in firestrike

push for what? its not even stable at 3.6

did you increase the voltage already?

i did, with that voltage should even be stable at higher overclocks

>tfw held the record for 3930k till the liquid nitrogen goys got a hold of it
Fucking nitrogen goyim skewing the high scores.

Pick up some high pressure fans and run a push+pull to keep the noise down vs running them at higher rpm's.

>Satan's build

>:(

> Overclocking

when will this meme end, getting .1 megahertz for 25% less stability isn't reasonable.

>Not getting free performance
u is a stoopid ass biyutch

>free performance

You get what you pay for.

well, bad luck getting a lemon.

i have to run my cpu at unreasonable higher voltage too. Running a i5 4670k at 4.2 though

so hot that even the operating system is on fire

core2quads were pretty shit compared to the core i stuff, yeah. but overclocking is actually good now for that reason, because of the high IPC count.