This is my last chance. I have one elective spot left. I can either put Operating Systems or a bullshit easy class...

This is my last chance. I have one elective spot left. I can either put Operating Systems or a bullshit easy class. The Operating Systems course will be the hardest class I've ever taken. But the topics look interesting and important.

Should I take OS, are any of you familiar with this book?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0471694665/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471284821&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Operating System Concepts&dpPl=1&dpID=51SY79ETFtL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Take the operating systems class.

I was supervising a project the kids had in OS at my uni. If you're not a total fucking retard then a class like this is brilliant and teaches you concepts that you will encounter later on.

I probably will. Like this is my last year and college why not take advantage of the classes that are offered to me.

just interested if anybody has taken it before on here or a similar class..

see thats the part im worried about.

the teacher that teaches it taught me systems 1 and 2. They describe OS as systems 3. I did well in her first two classes so I assume if I try I can do well in OS too. Just hope that assumption is correct because systems was interesting but hard as fuck.

if the concepts are important then fuck it. I'll think of it as a required class.

Operating systems was required for my program. I just finished it and it was the last core class I had to take before I graduate this fall. The topics and everything were interesting to me along with the programming assignments. Although I was in a speedy 6-7 week summer course so it was probably dumbed down as well from the regular semesters.

Thoughts on this?

At my school OS is a required softmore level class

my university had different names, but that looks like a good plan

kinda weird how these certified programs for cs all have different courses that are required. OS topics seem essential.

Taking this semester

art history
Design of algorithms
Operating systems

see I think OS might mean something different for other schools.

This OS class is a a split graduate level class, half the students taking it are graduate and the other half (me) aren't. They also don't recommend taking it unless you have taken systems 1 and 2

alright no going back now, dropped the easy class. locked in.

rest of my friends dropped it because they were scared after systems 2

The assignment was to implement real time scheduling in Mínix. Pretty interesting and fun if you have the energy to study. I'd recommend it if you like parallel processing, distributed systems and the algorithms that make your machine and bigger systems tick.

If you're not a NEET and are willing to put in basic effort, most classes aren't hard.
The concepts are a 7/10 difficulty if you're an average student. Think of it like going from highschool pre-calc to calc2

This is all stuff I want to learn. I already have a bachelor's in Chemical Engineering and can't really get another 4-year degree right now.

I'm trying to take online courses but they're all Java/Python/JavaScript meme courses. Online courses in low-level kernel design stuff doesn't exist. You have to learn it in college.

It looks like the best I can do right now is self-teach from a textbook.

I tell everyone that pre-calculus is harder than calculus because of memorizing all that trigonometry stuff and verifying trig identities in pre-calc.

Or maybe I just had a really good calculus teacher.

The universities mostly teach books, this one is good for concepts,
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0471694665/ref=mp_s_a_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1471284821&sr=8-4&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=Operating System Concepts&dpPl=1&dpID=51SY79ETFtL&ref=plSrch

Then download the Minix kernel or something and play around for practical experience. It's no rocket science!

I took a OS class but was rather bored by it. What are those concepts supposed to be? Other than synchronization/mutex/semaphores/monitors.

>The Operating Systems course will be the hardest class I've ever taken
Fucking what?

The best software engineers I've worked with are the ones who know how an OS works.

The code monkeys are the ones that don't know how an OS works.

>That cover

That's more in the area of a parallel processing course. OS in that regard should be scheduling, communication, synchronization and deadlock handling. You also have algorithms in primary memory management, for example addressing, address binding, paging, segmentation and virtual memory. Algorithms in secondary memory management, for example file allocation and scheduling of disc operations. Then you have all of the system design aspects, what constitutes an OS, what it should facilitate and so on.

hold on so you didnt have to take an operating systems class? and if you wanted you could graduate without taking one? kek and i thought my uni was shitty

They should also require a spelling class

Just because a school does or doesn't require a class for major completion doesn't make it shitty. If operating systems is required for everybody doing CS, then that probably means the prerequisite classes didn't cover an adequate amount of material. That is, your school is shit