I am thinking about getting a Thinkpad x220 for home chilling, school work, and just web browsing for entertainment...

I am thinking about getting a Thinkpad x220 for home chilling, school work, and just web browsing for entertainment. I've seen a lot of arguments over whether the x220 is any good. Some people just say thinkpads are a meme and are really shitty while others say they're really good especially for the price. All i want to use it for is google docs, Sup Forums, and some streaming, no gaming or anything that I could use my desktop for. Would this be a good choice to purchase?
I am also willing to replace and modify the x220 im not expecting a straight out of the box no hassle job.

>inb4 thinkpad is a meme only poorfags wouldnt buy a mactop

Bump

I want too but still not sure

why not just mix everything for chilling entertainment on a cloud so you won't need to think anymore from your pad

Yes

I have the T420 which I use for documents, videos, PowerPoints, web browsing, and steam streaming at 720 or 900 at 60fps. I think an x220 will do everything you want.

they are okay. screen resolution leaves much to be desired, and the trackpad is painful to use. the trackpoint itself is also a pain in the ass especially with the drifting.

other than that its a fine laptop. i get about 6 hours a charge out of mine and it charges very fast and can easily go to external screens without much hassle

I ALMOST bought a think pad, but then I looked at the specs. Just like it says in the think pad general, they like it for its durability and construction quality, not its top tier speed. Instead I bought a latitude e6230 (I think I'm not at home so I can't confirm) and love it. Only dual core but it was $150 and is ivy bridge.

I posted here because I didn't want a biased thinkpad lover response everytime, I wanted pros and cons

Get a T410/T420. Way more bang for your buck in my opinion.

Its out of warranty don't do it.

Look at it this way... I got mine for $100 on ebay, I mainly do consumer shit, watch videos, go on Sup Forums, play a game on facebook, it works great for that, go to a store and look at computers on the same price bracket you can't do none of that shit until you get to $400 mark. For the same $400 you go on ebay and get something even more powerful than a x220.

The main thing for you to consider is the screen size, is 12.5" screen enough for you?

I would plan on inserting an SSD in it to speed it up

Yeah I have a desktop and I have a phone I would just rather get one of these than a tablet. I would put an SSD in there and maybe experiment with linux

As far as battery, mine came with a 9cell pretty well used and raped, so I only get 4 hours on a battery, but if you're willing to spend money and get a new 9 cell is running $79 on newegg, probably cheaper if you get a 6 cell.

It has the Sata bay and a MSata bay so you can have two HDD in it.

Like I said, the main point of the thinkpads is what you get for what you pay, you're buying a laptop that cost at the time over $1000, with the build quality that it offers at that price for less than $200. Yes it may need work here and there, you need to repaste it when you get it. It is a old laptop but if it works for you get it, if you want somehting newer don't.

Also you can open it up and fuck with it without breaking a piece of plastic from the housing, my dual core pentium had quit and I had to buy something cheap, this is amazing to me that I could get such a good laptop so cheap, I almost bought a Inspiron 11, I would have spent more and gotten less performance but new battery, so its always a trade off. But they're cheap.

Today if I were to buy one at full price, I probably would go for the new T460 or X260, I think they're worth it even new.

Yeah I would rather have a more comfy small older one. That's why I'm even looking at thinkpads because I already have a desktop I would just like a little portable thing to mess around with. I would probably put an SSD and a new battery if needed.

I recently got a Thinkpad x230 as laptop for college. The laptop is really good for the price, the only downside is the resolution and the trackpad. The latter is not much of an issue because you'll get used to the trackpoint.
I would only not recommend a Thinkpad x220/x230 if you absolutely must have a high resolution and have the extra money to spare to get a decent laptop with the same specs but with a higher resolution Otherwise it's a fantastic laptop for the price.
If you want to consume media / shitpost on it, I'd recommend you upgrade it with an IPS screen.

thank you, that confirms my beliefs

They are good, but the batery life may be a concern if you're planning to use it outside your home.

Do not buy that shit because its a meme on g, g is a retarded hipster wannabee board where they love everything not popular and bad

I like my X220t. The best upgrade you can get for a used one is a new keyboard, search eBay for an unopened FRU. I procrastinated about it for months because I thought it would be hard but it's literally one or two screws and a clip and it's beautiful to type on a classic, unmolested keyboard.

warranty is a meme

I also ordered an X220 a few months back and it's already replaced my old Vaio Pro as my non-work laptop I take to university and weekend trips. The performance gap between sandy bridge and skywell is barely 20% so it really makes no sense to invest in a new laptop unless you need a GPU for your work.

Remember to get a one with IPS panel and buy from a reputable seller.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>/tpg/

But buy an x61

>I am thinking about getting a Thinkpad x220 for home chilling, school work, and just web browsing for entertainment.

Just go ahead and buy one.
I have a X201i for college (so it's basically surfing the web, doing papers, videos sometimes) and it's amazing.
But get an SSD, ffs.

I've had my x220i for years and love it! It's the perfect size. Bought a second one to keep at work.

I have an inspiring 1121. Recommended. Does what you will need. I like it.

Great choice OP. I'm planning on saving up for one myself. They're perfect school laptops because when upgraded with a 9-cell they last for a long time.
I personally use a T420 which is pretty great in terms of power but not so great on holding a charge. Honestly as long as you stay away from some of the brand new things lenovo spews out you're good2go. Just make sure to install Linux for more power.

51nb is making what they call an x320, which has the keyboard, case, etc, of the x220, but with a custom motherboard with a newer CPU, and a custom bezel that fits a large 1080p IPS screen (the same screen from the dell xps 13).

They did the same thing with the x61 as well.

X220 is easily the best laptop I've used, overall. I use mine every day, for all the things you mentioned + more. Very great/10.

I'd say go with a netbook instead if you want to take it out. My t100ta is much more portable and charges through micro USB, plus I get insane battery life per charge.

Only real issue is the dogshit Linux support

X220 owner here. Its a great laptop, I do a lot with it, and quite possibly use it more than my desktop. I payed 150 for a i7 with 8gb of ram, which is a steal on laptops. It is my fellow companion. Get it boy get it

Absolutely. I have an x220T and it's perfect. You can get a little ssd to put in as well, and combined with linux everything legitimately just werks.

Spring for the IPS screen if you can though (kinda why I went with the tablet version)

I love my x220 but the speakers are wimpy. Might want to swap em out

Hilarious!

Tpg defence force, ACTIVATE!

I

What's the problem user?

I like the Thinkpads I've owned and worked on. My preference right now is for the HP Elitebooks. Anything ending in w is a workstation replacement type meaning fast and expandable. Great screens.

The x220 is more portable if you're going to be moving around with it quite a bit from work to home, if not you'd be better getting the T420 it's quite unwieldy to be truly protable. The main factor of getting a used thinkpad is dat build quality and value for money you really can't find elsewhere. Every other laptop brand seems to age like milk.