/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

feralhosting.com/faq/view?question=195
github.com/MaxKellermann/MPD/blob/master/INSTALL
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Void

Exherbo

Funtoo

The Sup Forums approved distributions.

>I am Sup Forums

None of my GTK3 or 2 themes work right on the latest Firefox build including the default ones. Does Firefox gtk only work with Gnome/Unity now? How do I get it to work without a DE?

Why Funtoo over Gentoo?

How long have you been using Linux to not even hear of symbolic links?

add
>Guix Sysem Distribution
>Sourcemage
>devuan
and you are good to go

Funtoo is more user friendly.

You're not Sup Forums, I'm Sup Forums.

>devuan
That's Debian without systemd, right? What init is it using instead?
>he thinks Anonymous are multiple people
reddit pls go

Well these are some nice suggestions, but what is the best distro?

H
I
P
SHIT
T
E
R

What's the best Linux to install on old hardware. I am looking to install a different (((Operating System))) on my old Thinkpad.

You can use several init systems as stated in the page.

"the one I'm using"

I mean Linux Operating System, Not Linux Kernel, idrc which version of that is on there

Install Gentoo.

Debian, skip the select software step after installation, install Joe's WM or i3 if you want to pretend to be a hacker.

Compilation of source will take too long to justify installing Gentoo Linux. Perhaps you can suggest a non-timesink OS.

I'd just like to interject for a momment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.

Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'm fucking clueless. got a feral hosting seedbox slot and they allow SSH and you can fuck around with anything you have permissions for, so I wanted to install mpd to stream music.
I compiled mpd fine but can't make it detect LAME. I compiled LAME from source as well but still it doesn't get picked up by either mpd nor ffmpeg, they still say libmp3lame is missing.

I have no idea how this stuff usually works, so I just follow their guide at feralhosting.com/faq/view?question=195

What is the best """"""""""GNU""""""""""/Linux Distro?

Install Slackware.

Actually if the computer is as old as he says it is, the boost gained from software compiled specifically for that machine would outweigh the inconvenience of having to use a different machine for the weekend.

I run Arch with a custom kernel on my Dell V131. I used to use Linux a lot more than I do now but OS X is more functional as a main OS, since Nvidia's drivers are still absolute shit. This laptop is pretty comfy though. It boots in a few seconds from my cheap Samsung SSD and everything opens instantly.

Don't have time to read pages of documentation. I need a system that can be up and running in under 30 minutes.

The one I'm using.

You're pretty funny. I chortled slightly.

Install Debian.

Arch can be installed by a near-complete beginner in about 20 minutes, counting the time it takes to read the beginner's manual. Once you're able to boot the OS from your disk, it takes maybe two mintes to install whatever desktop or wm you want.

Yeah, that's because you have a SSD. It'd take a half minute to a minute on an old hard drive like every other OS. Install Fedora.

No it wouldn't, are you baiting? And besides, I need to have this system up and running in under 30 minutes. I simply cannot wait around for hours until all programs are finished compiling.

That's categorically false. Other distros have a minimal install option and the added benefit of not being Arch.

>and the added benefit of not being Arch
kek

What are you trying to do, just play mp3s?

Well that time is really cutting short, isn't it? If you've tried Gentoo and know for certain that the benefits do not outweigh the convenience, what are you doing asking us which distro to use?

Arch took maybe 10 seconds on my old laptop with one HDD for / and another for /home. I tried Fedora on that same laptop, and in addition to being the most resource-hogging *nix I've ever laid eyes on, it's a pain in the ass just to install media codecs and it's even less stable than Windows 10. Any OS that makes you add third-party repos JUST to play an mp3 or use a browser that's not total shit is broken.

My fiancee installed Arch on her old netbook in about 30 minutes, having almost zero experience with Linux prior to that. Granted, I was there to answer small questions but she did the whole thing on her own. You can do anything if you RTFM.

Installing precompiled binaries isn't an issue because I don't need to worry about using USE flags to trimp off MiB's from the total install size. It is a major inconvenience to compile large source on this low end CPU however. I have used a Gentoo derivative and dreaded almost every second of it.

Do some workout and be a /fit/GNU/Linux user.
Gentoo power!

>My fiancee
Delete this

>I was there to answer small questions
>but she did the whole thing on her own
One disproves the other.
Also learn to use a fucking watch. And what the word "stable" means.

You're broken user. Mentally.

Anyone here used aqemu? Also, what are some basic qemu commands?

I love how toxic these threads are now. Hopefully they'll get so bad to the point where mods will have to auto sage them like Desktop threads.

Read the fucking manual.

basically, I want to stream music from their server since my home connection is shit.
I'd point to my torrent downloads folder and get music from there so it can both stream it and seed it.
Obviously they don't allow you sudo, but you can SSH and do whatever you want in your space.
As said, mpd works but won't start because it can't find LAME encoder (no such encoder: lame). FFMPEG couldn't find it either when I tried to make a configuration.

I have no idea if I can even do this in this little space or do I really need them to install LAME for everyone.

Pic related, only encoder is wave

conf would be something like this:
music_directory "~/private/deluge/data"
db_file "~/.mpd/database"
log_file "~/.mpd/log"
pid_file "~/.mpd/pid"
state_file "~/.mpd/state"
playlist_directory "~/.mpd/playlists"
#password "password@read,add,control,admin"
bind_to_address "feralhostserver"
port "44050"
gapless_mp3_playback "yes"
auto_update "yes"

audio_output {
type "httpd"
name "Name"
encoder "lame"
port "8010"
bitrate "320"
always_on "yes"
}

replaygain "album"
replaygain_preamp "0"

She never asked any questions related to installing Arch you dumbfuck. The questions I answered for her was shit that you could learn from using Ubuntu for a month. I assume most of Sup Forums has used Linux for much longer than that.

All you need to do is ban the Archfags. All you needed to do with the desktop threads was ban the Archfags. Archfags are the cancer killing the Linux community.

github.com/MaxKellermann/MPD/blob/master/INSTALL
Lame is not what you need.

pretty please?

man man

Why can't people just use their own fucking computer and be happy about it?

THIS

ARCH IS KILL

I don't understand what you are doing with lame, never seen that set up as output.

alias people='man man'

You tell me.

Why are you seeing encoder?

The issue was the weebs posting desktops with borderline SFW wallpapers. The former isn't mutually exclusive with Arch users.

alias wymyn= man man

You can make your own precompiled bins.

Yes. And my point is and always was I don't want to waste time doing this.

alias OP="man man"

So a little info on the dd command.

It does not work with Windows 7 iso's. I was unable to boot a usb drive after dd'ing a windows 7 iso.

The more you know.

what are you non-DE guys using for local image browsing?

not sure if I'm reading it right, but for output dependencies it still lists liblame and libvorbis. Am I supposed to be looking at input ones or what? Because the 3 main dependencies are definitely available

I dont know either, I just want to stream MP3s

what do you mean

Most use feh, I prefer sxiv.

Windows ISOs aren't hybrid images you inbred fucktard.

Spacefm as a file manager with sxiv for image viewer. Was using gthumb for image organizer too.

pqiv

First of all, calm down. Second of all, someone in the previous thread said that if if the ISO could be made bootable then you can use the dd command.

why do people use bitrate font?

pqiv and mcomix

Windows 7 ISO has efi executables you can literally mkfs.vfat /dev/durrmuhstick and copy the files.

sudo mkfs.vfat /dev/durrmuhstick
mkfs.fat 4.0 (2016-05-06)
mkfs.vfat: unable to open /dev/durrmuhstick: No such file or directory

I don't know, I've never set it up like you are trying to so maybe you are right.
Are you sure you have set $PATH correctly? Maybe you installed the wrong version or architecture?

Good meme.

It doesn't sound so blurry when looking at.

f^a^m now i fell dumb
I meant whats the point of bitmap fonts

Change "lame" to "wave"? What's the problem here?

Using literally literally illiterately.
Its fun uguuu~~

$PATH should be correct, everything works just fine by entering commands 'lame', 'mpd, 'ffmpeg', it's all detected.

although, what concerns me are these 2 folders that spawned here in my user home folder, 'include' and 'lib' and they both contain. Are they even supposed to be here?

the process I did was basically as they recommended,
wget, tar xf
./configure --prefix=$HOME
make
make install

the problem is the behavior is not normal and I want mp3

When you make install as a user its installed the linked libraries in $HOME instead of /usr/lib

Isn't really a problem but honestly you should be using your distributions package manager to install these things.

The directories are fine. Don't guess, echo $PATH

I'm not quite getting the purpose of this. I get if you wanted to control your rPi hooked up to your speakers over SSH, but don't most operating systems have graphical MPD clients?

Your MPD is probably compiled without support for LAME. Your seedbox owner must have had a reason not to include MP3 support. You could either compile MPD with LAME support, or just try streaming wave.

/media/sdc1//bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/local/games:/usr/games

>Your MPD is probably compiled without support for LAME
yea true, but when i do try to compile it with support for lame (--enable-lame-encode ) it can't find it so I can't actually compile it

Fuck off finally.

You need to compile lame and copy libmp3lame.so into your working directory so the mpd configure script will find it.

Were mpd and lame compiled under the same prefix?

Currently running Debian 8 with kernel version 3.16. I want to update to a newer kernel version, but I'm wondering if doing that will break the graphics driver (using nvidia) because of the Linux headers.

configure: error: Ogg Vorbis encoder: libvorbisenc not found

Well, same shit with vorbis, compiled it the same way as LAME, and can even see the file in $HOME/include/vorbis

yes, everything I've compiled was with --prefix=$HOME

time to install moc

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=~/lib ; C_INCLUDE_PATH=~/include ; ./configure

Shit that probably won't work lol need to append those variables' paths not replace them.

How do i dynamically supply a password to 7z?
LIke when it notices it has a password, scan a file full of passwords, till it returns the extract code or something

see

Time for bed I guess, if anyone has a clue, please write and I'll read it in like 3-4 hours.
Last time I tried to get mpd to stream on Windows it also ended up being a nightmare, and unsuccessful

grep?

How?
How do i tell 7z to go back through the filelist till it finds a password then start extracting?
I need to do this for over 100 archives

Write a script which greps the appropriate password a passes to 7z.