/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

hodinkee.com/articles/wayde-van-niekerk-richard-mille-rio
youtube.com/watch?v=JWMUZztiIUA
seikowatches.com/world/tokinowaza/yokozawa/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Are Pateks really worth the price?

Can one of you find some place in the US who sells the Sinn 6036?

I can't find a single fucking dealer who sells it.

Watchbuys, who is the official US Sinn distributor doesn't even sell it wtf

Depends how much you value a patek

Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of Sup Forums are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!

Are you a qt little girl or something? Just buy the 6060.

No

Wrist check from the deep edition: my old tropical 6038

>this exists
WTF???
It's a deattachable lighter btw.

Fuck.
Marketed at outdoor retards or something?

God wtf is up with this guy's mole, fucking have that shit cut off.

I'm having trouble finding a pic of what your watch is supposed to look like new, but your dial does not appear to have aged well. It literally looks like poo. Also, why did you put on a strap that's obviously too narrow?

When I wear this baby I'm knee deep in pussy... Like seriously I own a lot of cats

I love this "Im gonna google your watch and if I dont google it I'll shit all over you" attitude.

More like really cool guys, right? This is so cool. Its like a mix between an Alien Seiko and Audemars... And totally tasteless

Wayde van Niekerk smashed the 400m world record last night to clinch the gold medal at the 2016 Rio Olympics .Van Niekerk was spotted wearing a Richard Mille RM 27-02 'Tourbillion-Rafael Nadal' | limited to 50 pieces
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••• Price - UK List Price £550,000

>Wayde van Niekerk Wins The Men's 400m (And Sets A New World Record) With A Richard Mille On His Wrist

hodinkee.com/articles/wayde-van-niekerk-richard-mille-rio

Wow. Truly an extraordinary gentlemen. Do we have a new grail watch? Will it change the dynamics of /wt/?

>Richard Mille
>new grail watch
Nadal's been shilling them forever. Slubba Watson's the Masters twice wearing one of those. Yohan Blake won the 2011 100m world championship wearing one of those. Where have you been all these years?

fucking strap connecting rod (or whatever it's called) broke

gotta hit up ASUS...luckily I'm still in warranty so maybe they could send me another one or just a new strap altogether

it's not a normal one either, it's got a quick release nub on it (not shown in pic, lost it)

also i don't really care about star trek, it's just the only watch face that isn't complete garbage

Go away, Niekerk. We're not buying your ugly ass wrist tumor.

>Do we have a new grail watch? Will it change the dynamics of /wt/?

No, Richard Mille makes ugly ass watches for rich pricks. This is the least offensive looking model they currently make.

Never liked those watches but I may need to have a closer look at them now

>why's the 7 hour missing?
>mfw

youtube.com/watch?v=JWMUZztiIUA

>incredible matro-industial very agressive design

:^)

His name is Van Niekerk. The HUEs in Brazil can't write people's names properly.

obviously it's to make room for the 31 o'clock, dumbass.

Sorry I forgot sarcasm doesnt go well with written language. Of course its ugly AF

this one looks good on paper, until you realise its fucking huge. like really fucking huge.

Holy shit what an innovative way to show the date! Why didnt Rolex think of this earlier?

Alright fämälams. For those who give a shit, here's my shitty review of the SARX019, as promised.

What I liked:
- The enamel dial is beautiful. Better than expected. The surface has a subtle wavy and sprinkle-y texture which doesn't really show in the pics. The Glorious Nipponese folded 200x handiwork by Yokozawasan did not disappoint (except for the date window).
For your weaboo masturbatory pleasure:
seikowatches.com/world/tokinowaza/yokozawa/
- Heat blued hands looks almost as good as those on an IWC or Ulysses Nardin. Almost but not quite, as those watches have more rounded finish of the edges.
-The quality of dial markings is superb.
- No eaten numbers. The III is shrunk to fit the date window, rather than cut off.
- Subtly domed sapphire crystal.

What I did not like:
- Mediocre crocodile strap, looks and feels cheap - way too glossy and the keeper stitchings are a bit rough. The deployant clasp is also finicky and hard to properly click into place.
- The date window border and finishing could be better.
- Sub-second indices are inappropriate for this type of watch.
- Huge "SEIKO" text and unnecessary "Automatic 23 jewels" text. The former's font size should be half of what it is, and in italics.
- It's fuckhuge for a dress watch. 40.5mm wide and 12.9mm thick. Almost as thick as my Valjew chronos.
- The bezel/case interface is very prominent - I'd prefer it to be as seamless as possible.
- Polished case finish always looks worse in person than in pictures, imo. Attracts lint/dust/fingerprints like no other. I'd prefer satinized brushed.

Overall, the design of this watch is much more like a deck watch (such the Stowa Marine) than a dress watch, which is not immediately apparent from the pictures. Case finishing is decent, but still noticeably inferior to my Sinns and Tutima. Worth what I paid for it ($470) but not full retail ($700-$800), imo. 7/10 for the price I paid. Should serve me well until I get a Nomos next year.

What use would those things be in space? They're usually off by more than a minute a day

Movement performance. Not bad at all. However, the ticking will be very noticeable if you're used to 28,800 bph movements.

Too big for me.

Tried out the 15400 and 15202st today. Can't find a pp5711 at all. Thinking a 15202 is better on my tiny girly wrist.

Really close to pulling the trigger.

It has the dial with the old Soviet/Russian Space Forces logo, so it might have been a commemorative watch a cosmonaut got.

Kozmonauts (american astronauts included) like to trade shit they bring to the ISS, usually its watches. You wouldnt believe how happy the first russians meeting americans on the ISS were when the americans brought the Casio DW5600's. Also that being said the "was on the ISS" part of the description would add some value to a shitty Komandirskie

Damn that thing is sex... Not a big fan of the dial though.

fucking nice.
too big tho.

What does /wt/ think about the Speedy Pros Russian counterpart? Only thing that change is they added a sapphire crystal.

Design on the dial looks terrible, and the hands have no depth.

You need to hit the gym

i got this for less than $3. how did i do /wt/?

Stop wearing it
Pot metal is bad for skin

what the fuck really? shit

its got the wrong movement, yo

Thanks for the input. Good to have outside opinions sometimes when there are so many watches to choose from.

Its actually smaller than my current 40mm ym. The bracelet is hanging as it wasn't adjusted yet. So it might seem looser and big from that perspective.
But I am unlucky to have small wrists and big hands and forearms. No amount of working out is going to really add much to my wrists haha.

Anyways just sent out some troops on the ground to see if Hong Kong has any 5711 available in stock. Maybe sit on the decision a bit longer.

>was spotted
Can you please stop shilling this shit already?

>troops
what are you, some drug lord?

btw just get the 39mm oak, its best

Because i got it today with no strap and i wanted to wear it.
Yes the dial had gone tropical. Moisture has gotten in and turned the silver brown.
I found it interesting and i paid $10 for it. Runs perfect

>mall ninja watch priced at luxury
top kek, I hope they offer an expansion on that rail so you can have a flashlight, lighter, and laser pointer mounted at the same time

Actually his name is Van Niekek. Couldn't be different with that shit on the wrist.

So glad his country spent all that tax payer money to fund his rio holiday.
Fuck i hate the Olympics

Nice concise points user. Was not considering this watch but now i know it is definitely not for me.
Thanks for the effort

Opinions on navitimer vs datejust vs speedmaster?

Cannot bring myself to like AP watches. I just don't like the look of them.
Hope you enjoy it if you do buy it user

I'm rolex's biggest fanboy and of those three i have to say, the speedie

How cool is the atmos?

I like it, i have a few old European desk clocks/wallclocks
I like how they are still making these pieces even though they are not the height of popularity.
They are very stylish

Speedmaster is my favorite of the three and a watch that I personally own. The Datejust holds no appeal to me and if I were to buy a Navitimer I'd buy a Sinn 903 and save a few thousand dollars.

Why re you a Rolex fan boy? Why the speedie?

I love the engineering/physics of it.

Spent enough to buy a used speedy or a new sin on my weekend piss up, dem feels

Definetly a hard choice between the speedy and datejust, I personally would go for the speedy, mainly due to versatility

on your what?

Weekend trip which consisted of a lot of drinking, didn't realise piss up was such a foreign term

oh right i forgot you were aussie lel

why did you drink away a sinn tho?
waste of money broski

Why are you comparing two chronos to the datejust and not the daytona?

It's pretty fucking cool desu.
I ised to do some thermodynamics and other engineering shit, I should try to calculate all this shit up sometime.

Young and dumb, I have my entire life to appreciate watches

My meme watch arrived today and holy shit it's pretty much the only watch you'll ever need.

I still would like to have a Moonwatch as a weekend and maybe a Grand Seiko as a dress someday.

(((YOLO)))

Am I the only one who feels like a younger and less fat version of ArchieLuxury?

I have the ugliest and most sarcastic watch photos on my phone

Once you start wearing that you'll never want to wear anything else.

in some form or other,

we are all archie

I don't like gaudy rolex's but the tool watches are awesome.
Granted they cost 4x what they should, but that could be said of sinn, omega or any other tool watch manufacturer
I enjoy the pioneer history of rolex and how tough the tool watches are.
The company has gone downhill alot over the years but it is still my favorite brand name watch

Here's you bitching about being poor eh?

Is UK and Australians only from what i have heard around the world

Alcohol is very very expensive over here because of 'taxes'
The first thing i done was start my own still

32 inch waist 0_0

I like my Seiko SARB033 but I'd like something a bit more casual for everyday use. What would you recommend (same price range)?

So today was pretty neato, I helped my sister move to a new apartment and i found a watch that had been left behind by the previous owners.

How did i do for a free watch?
+ cost of a cheap battery

A shitty FREE quartz watch>>>>>>>>>>any other BOUGHT watch in this thread>Vostok

Jokes aside, THEHORSE watches go for $500

$500? more like $100, at least for what I have found for the watch, still, a free watch is a free watch.

Better than the shit i got off Ali

Hello guys

Hi.

SARB035?

How does a different dial color make it more casual?

What a voluptuous band.

>That fat wrist
>That watch strap being far too tight

Same reason a black tie is more formal.

It does tuck the skin in a bit, but actually doesn't feel tight. Wore my Orient the same way.

"Steinhart is shit" might be the new hot meme, but why? Exactly what's wrong with them?

70% of their range are shameless Submariner homages.
Their own designs aren't too hot either.
The OVM is fantastic though, the only complaints people have here about it is the false patina, beyond that they just spam "steinshit" and hope enough people meme along.

I mean, let's be fair here.

>ETA 2824-2
>316L Stainless
>SuperLuminove
>Solid Bracelet + Endlinks
>300m WR
>120 point bezel with coined edge.
>£315
Frankly, it's damned good value. A damned good watch, just autists spamming memes.

But I wouldn't touch an Ocean One with a 12ft barge pole.

OVM. Yes.
Ocean One. No.

something something rolex copies r bad bc you're not paying 7k for the name on the dial

B-but user, why would you buy a new Steinhart when you could just save up a bit more and buy a NOS Milsub?

Can't complain when it's free.
It looks like all other cheap minimalist watches around.