I'm interested in web design for modern webpages. I know the basics of HTML and CSS...

I'm interested in web design for modern webpages. I know the basics of HTML and CSS, and how to program in Python and Java, but I'd like to learn:

1) How to design a good-looking modern website that works on desktop and mobile
2) How to make that website responsive, as in storing data on a server

Can anyone recommend good resources for this? Is a CMS the best way to go?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design
developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/iterate/device-mode
practicaltypography.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>How to make that website responsive, as in storing data on a server
That's not what responsive means.

>supposedly knows all that stuff
>apparently doesnt understand the slightest thing about websites with backends
does not compute

Learn the terminology first.

>responsive,
>as in storing data on a server

Yeah ok I used the wrong term, sue me. I learned this shit before AJAX even existed.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Responsive_web_design

>Responsive web design (RWD) is an approach to web design aimed at allowing desktop webpages to be viewed in response to the size of the device one is viewing with.

Hahahahaha, oh wow, that's what "responsive" means these days? How old are all of you? You realize how new mobile-specific web pages are?

You need to explain properly what you want. All web data is served from a server.

Responsive does not, and never did mean "storing data on a server".

You're getting ahead of yourself OP.
1) is two things
1a) this is design, good design is independent of the target medium. The majority of books that "teech U dezignz 4 tha interbutts" are gimicky and laughably uninformative, you might as well read articles on the internet (typography will take you a long way, I recommend "The elements of typographic style" and/or "Grid systems" - muller-brockmann)
1b) responsive - search for mobile first, learn what @media does in CSS, go to any modern website and do this developers.google.com/web/tools/chrome-devtools/iterate/device-mode
this works even on 4chins
2) is also two things
2a) see above
2b) storing data on a server has nothing to do with the frontend. Storing data as in what? Getting you website deployed to a server? Or getting data in a db? A CMS is nothing but a wrapper around a db. While I wouldn't recommend you write your own (just yet) at least use the out-of-the box utilities of django or some shit (you said you know python)

responsive webdesign is to design a website in a way that the layout can dynamically change appearance based on the device and viewport size. It had jack shit to do with storing data, which is the job of a backend.

If you know python, try taking a look at django or some other python web framework. As for responsive design, this is usually accomplished with css3 media queries.

CMS's can be a bitch to style if you want to make something yourself. However, there's no need for backend programming.

where in the fuck does OP mention any of that?

Back in the day this was called "dynamic HTML". Are you going to harangue me about using the wrong word when you know what I meant, a website that responds to user requests? Instead of haranguing me about this shit how about telling me where I could learn it.

Thanks.

By storing data I really meant the most basic thing possible. User submits data through a form. Server stores it in a file or a db. User can view his data later. I'd like to know how to do this basic mechanism at the low level, and what """technology stack""" is used in practice in the industry.

You quite clearly used the wrong word.
Your explanation about what dynamic HTML is still wrong - "website that responds to user requests" fits static HTML just as well.
Yes, I will harangue you until you find it in you to at least ask your question properly.

Good luck with the asperger's

>I wnat to speciaize in making the web shittier than it already is
How about you go fuck yourself with the wide end of a garden hoe.

Good luck with your responsive design.

>muh evil javascript boogeyman!!!!!
Let me guess, you manually press F5 to update Sup Forums threads.

>responsive
>responding to something
>the wrong word

Do you have terminal autism? I told you, in the clearest terms, I want the website to respond to user queries. User submits data, back-end storage and processing takes place, user receives output.

Yes. Very nice. That whole sentence can be used to describe a web server that only serves static HTML pages. You're asking the question incorrectly.

Of course, the reason why you're asking the question incorrectly is because I asperger's, so I wish you the best of luck with your responsive design.

>That whole sentence can be used to describe a web server that only serves static HTML pages.

No it can't.

>You're asking the question incorrectly.

So what's the right word for it, Rain Man?

Yes, it can. The website responds to user queries. User requires a page, specifying its URI as an argument, using HTTP protocol and receives a response.

>So what's the right word for it, Rain Man?
Just dynamic HTML by itself would have been enough.

Ok, OP, I understand. Yes, you will be working with a database, more than probably of the SQL type. I recommend Django, they have a good tutorial on their website. I don't know how hard it is to setup on windoze, but if you said you know python, that shouldn't matter.
As a heads up, Django creates a gorillin small files. I can be overwhelming at first, but it's no big deal, they are separated by concerns. The truth is Django can be pretty large for a basic website, I've heard good things about Flask, but as your website grows larger, what you'll do is just write a shitty reimplementation of the majority of django. If all the files bug you, read pic related.
Google ORM and understand it, that's how the majority of webapps interact with the DB and that's how django does it. You will be defining some object model and the actual SQL commands that interact with tables will be handled by the backend. By default Django uses sqlite, you'll have a db.sqlite3 file after you jack around with the app and you have actual data stored. You can explore it with a sqlite reader it you want to see the nitty gritty

>Just dynamic HTML by itself would have been enough.

You're contradicting yourself and wasting my time. Suffocate in a fire.

Note, I do not necessarily recommend the book in pic related, as the last edition is for dj 1.8 and there are some differences between 1.8 and 1.10 (the current one). The tutorial and then jacking around for interbutts looking at other peoples code should be enough.

It's just that I saw a shitload of anons bitching about django's propensity of generating a ton of files out of the box

Thanks. I use Linux, have heard of Flask and used SQLite before. I'll give Django a shot.

I never said that dynamic HTML was the wrong word to use in .
Just said your explanation of what it is (a website that responds to user requests) is incorrect - and it is incorrect. Dynamic HTML is not that.

>wasting my time
Stop responding then dumbo.

Did you skip the past 20 years or something?
Also the concept of a responsive gui was never named "responsive design". There was a thing with responsive webpages going on, but that was about using ajax and async javascript functions so that the page never needed refreshing as a whole, and the gui would never "hang". And the term was never used at all to describe actions like sending user data, that's just html forms.

I'm working on my own website, so I'm biased towards Django as it's my backend :^) I push my shit to my host and it just werks. The trickier part will be learning good design without it looking like a web3.0 meme.

Godspeed, user.

Look up LAMP and MEAN. Got it?-
LAMP=linux os/apache server/MySQL db/ PHP
MEAN=MongoDB/Express.js/Angular.js/Node.js

MySQL is a traditional database. It uses rigid tables to organize entries. MongoDB is the new "it" thing. It uses tags and is more flexible.

MEAN has the advantage of each component being written in the same Javascript-style code. If you are a logical, structure-oriented thinker you should focus on LAMP.

Go install Debian on a tiny DIY server (like a Raspberry Pi). After that learn how to use MongoDB & Node.JS or MySQL/Apache and put them on a simple test website.

After that you need an actual project, I recommend a personal webpage. Currently this is a project of mine.

Thanks. How do I learn good design while looking like a Web 3.0 meme? When I first learned this most pages were designed in Photoshop and had that "plastic" look. I like the clean simple look of modern pages and lack of images.

Great advice from an aspiring developer of a personal web page.

The solution I've found is learning "platform-agnostic" design. design for the dead tree page. Yes, somethings do not translate well, some do not translate at all. However it is far better than racing to look like what the rest of the internet is doing. Yes, learning from type design book will more than likely give you the eye for the text-central, images-only-if-needed look and fell.
Some of the books are old as shit and the advice may seem unapplicable, but trust me
elements of typo. style and grid systems are the way to go (there are compiled lists on the internet of books, these two I happen to own. Check your local library. If you want something right here and right now, check out this:
practicaltypography.com/

>Do you disagree with my post's advice, which is rehashed from people with experience?
>MEAN devs were some of the highest salaries on last year's Github survey

Web dev is a side interest for me. The web page is portfolio/resume site where I post other projects. Highlighting other code as asm.js is a further goal.

Not trying to diss other approaches to this, I was previously in OP's shoes and now I'm moving along nicely.

This. I really don't mean to memepost user (), but LAMP seems too old and MEAN too new (although there is merit on being on the new thing while it's popular, salary included), moreover, both seem to be concentrated on the web-tech in itself. Now, nothing is preventing you from running R-server on the backend or whatever you fancy, but if you are comfortable with both JS and another backend enabling language, I'm just not seeing the advantage of node.js

bump

Unless you want to do Web applications, start with simple expressive HTML, then add CSS, then optionally add JS.

Python woth django, php woth laravrl, visual basic and asp.net or C# and asp.net.

Theres a lot of ways to accomplish what you want done

Where can I read about how to design a good page in HTML and CSS?

these fucking covers I swear