/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/music/FreeSWSong.ogg
youtube.com/watch?v=oTN6cGmH2yM
youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjg50-nvc
youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw
bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-20160704-livedvd/amd64/
gentoo.osuosl.org//releases/amd64/20160704/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704.iso
ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/20160704/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704.iso.DIGESTS.sig
privacytools.io/#vpn
torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/
thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/
openbsd.org/lyrics.html
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735211
arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/linux-bug-leaves-1-4-billion-android-users-vulnerable-to-hijacking-attacks/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Boot with UEFI or BIOS for a ZFS root?
BIOS with GRUB seems simpler but I wouldn't mind getting rid of it.

stop complicating your life.

Because enabling one kernel option for efi stub support is so fucking hard.

GRUB isn't needed on EFI systems.

fuck off finally. this isn't reddit. post anonymously or fuck off, faggot.

Until someone tells me any good reason to use UEFI, I say stick with MBR and use grub

Post a guide/resource about it instead of being a smug elitist weeaboo tripcuck.

I'm balls deep in fucknig shit Sup Forums and I need your fucking help. This is serious. Where is a stream for The Walking Dead Season 6????!!@@.12>

>Where is a stream for The Walking Dead Season 6?
Also stop wasting your time on such a shittily made show

Found it without your help. Got to watch my waifu

>elitest
lol ok kid
efibootmgr is in the screenshot, i specifically told you the kernel option "EFI STUB" and pretty much the only thing else you would need to know is that UEFI requires a vfat filesystem.

Might be that you are just a fucking retard, its easier than GRUB.

Thread theme:
gnu.org/music/FreeSWSong.ogg

So what happened to popcorn time? Is there no ppa for it these days?

Today's track youtube.com/watch?v=oTN6cGmH2yM

Also, for the guy looking a GNU/Linux related wallpaper, look close.

I really love this version: youtube.com/watch?v=kCpjg50-nvc

>gnu.org/music/FreeSWSong.ogg
notbad

Reposting.

Whenever I apply arc theme to XFCE, my controls in the applet get fucked up. The sliders are gone, and in the wifi menu in particular, things no longer highlight on mouseover. Instead, it just looks like a list with icons you click on, and it looks like shit.

Anybody ever experienced a problem with this? I've used arc + xfce on a xubuntu machine in the past, but debian testing just fights me at every corner.

by the way I don't mean the icons for wifi. Some retard thought he was being snarky by calling me out on my icon theme as the problem, but I can assure you that is NOT the issue.

Wifi-menu looks like this

Is there a way to generate a list of packages installed with pacman (and maybe packages from AUR) for easy reinstallation on another machine?

Theme is fucking with gtk widget alignment.
Its a shitty theme. Edit it yourself to fix it.

It seems like you have a broken GTK+3 theme. They deprecated some stuff in the theming engine in the same major version (absolutely unacceptable), which broke many themes. Try different themes or see if there is an updated version of your current one.

>7/8 rhythm
Already more interesting than 99% of pop trash

>finally
The word you're looking for is 'already'

I hope that's Stallman singing

No, Stallman's singing it here:
youtube.com/watch?v=9sJUDx7iEJw

Fucking wicked bummer. I'll edit myself maybe one of these days or Just find another.

Wait, really? Are you saying something in gtk was depreciated, or gtk-xfce-engine (so in xfce 4.12)

Either way, I can believe that both of them fucked it up.

>want to try gentoo
>load up qemu
>launch
> takes 5 minutes to get out of init
>given a gui login
>click login
>spend 5 minutes waiting for it to load everything.
>holy shit this is so bloated what the fuck

>load arch in qemu
>1 minute after launch im in a root liveiso environment ready to go

What the fuck man

Yes

Perhaps he is not from USA, in which case the word 'already' would actually be completely incorrect.

>try gentoo
>5mins for init
>gui login
If you don't see why this makes no sense you're not ready for gentoo.
What ever you downloaded and did it wasn't gentoo.

bouncer.gentoo.org/fetch/gentoo-20160704-livedvd/amd64/
gentoo.osuosl.org//releases/amd64/20160704/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704.iso
ftp.snt.utwente.nl/pub/os/linux/gentoo/releases/amd64/20160704/livedvd-amd64-multilib-20160704.iso.DIGESTS.sig

i was putting a keybinding in the openbox rc.xml and made an error forgot a tag and when i fixed it openbox had changed colors, for example terminal was now black and background grey which is better than it being white

i really like that, but what happened, do i have to do anything now?

fucking retard

Which packages are installed should already be some kind of configuration file. Perhaps you can copy that over?

So what secret site is there for gentoo then?
gentoo.org is a scam site i presume?

You are comparing a purposely big and bloated live disk to a minimal shell. Install gentoo the regular way until you are at the same stage as the arch iso is and then compare.

>man pacman
>find the flag which lists all packages
>redirect the output (stdout) with your shell to a file

Since it's a doggy-dog world, you could care less about spending a few minutes reading man pages.
Wa la

Your window manager (Openbox) has nothing to do with your terminal emulator's color scheme.

did you maybe bind your terminal key to another terminal emulator than before?

Oh okay, I see what the deal is now. Had to crawl through a couple of git repositories to see it was a GTK issue.

Holy shit, what are the gtk devs thinking as of late? Stuff like this legitimately just frustrates me because this isn't the first time a gtk update broke something stupid.

>could care less
You may want to spend a few minutes reading a grammar man page :^)

What are some /fglt/ approved VPNs?

Are these a good place to start?

privacytools.io/#vpn

torrentfreak.com/vpn-anonymous-review-160220/

Not only is it a GTK issue, it is a consciously created issue. I don't know why the devs are being such assholes.

Try this thatoneprivacysite.net/vpn-comparison-chart/

probably cos they dont give a shit about the five manchildren who think desktop themes are cool

>Devs don't care about their users cuz they're manchildren xddd

How is it a GTK issue if you're using a broken theme that's not keeping up with the underlying core component that it's a theme for?
EIther use the default theme which always works (Adwaita) or find another theme which is keeping up with development.

> it is a consciously created issue
[citation needed]

I want to learn how to use emacs.
Which one do I download?

Honestly GTK 3.0 has been a big fat mess. Features that people have been wanted have gone ignored for years, but they have no problem fucking with shit that isn't necessary. It boggles my mind.

Shittiest bait I've ever read on this board. I'm ashamed to be replying.

But you're not wrong in that they clearly don't care what goes on outside of their bubble.

I got arc going though, I just had to build and make install from the git itself.

I hole-hardedly agree, but allow me to play doubles advocate here for a moment. For all intensive purposes I think you are wrong. In an age where false morals are a diamond dozen, true virtues are a blessing in the skies. We often put our false morality on a petal stool like a bunch of pre-Madonnas, but you all seem to be taking something very valuable for granite. So I ask of you to mustard up all the strength you can because it is a doggy dog world out there.

>Features that people have been wanted have gone ignored for years
Name some of those features.

GUI because it looks nicer and because Emacs has a built-in terminal.

Look, another thing openBSD does better than GNU.
openbsd.org/lyrics.html

>[citation needed]
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=735211

pacman -Qeq seems to do just the trick

muh thumbnails

arstechnica.com/security/2016/08/linux-bug-leaves-1-4-billion-android-users-vulnerable-to-hijacking-attacks/
>An estimated 80 percent of Android phones contain a recently discovered vulnerability that allows attackers to terminate connections and, if the connections aren't encrypted, inject malicious code or content into the parties' communications, researchers from mobile security firm Lookout said Monday.
>The vulnerability makes it possible for anyone with an Internet connection to determine whether any two parties are communicating over a long-lived transport control protocol connection, such as those that serve Web mail, news feeds, or direct messages. In the event the connections aren't encrypted, attackers can then inject malicious code or content into the traffic. Even when the connection is encrypted, the attacker may still be able to determine a channel exists and terminate it. The vulnerability is classified as CVE-2016-5696.
>Linux
>secure
Where were you when Linux lost it's chance at becoming a reputable kernel? Are you regretting buying that lagdroid phone? You still have a chance to go with OpenBSD.

Anyone here uses BTRFS?

Why cant debian mount dvd movies by itself and I have to type some very obscure terminal command myself?

to install from a list;
while read i; do pacman -S --noconfirm $i; done < list.txt
(installs one thing at a time to avoid potential too-many-arguments on long lists)

Because debian is pants.

Nobody?

Thoughts on Void Linux?

Going to try it tonight, looks pretty cool.

"looks"?

Yeah what the other user said. Debian is arguably a lot more work than arch to get to a functional place if you're coming from Windows.

Look into udisks-glue

So am I missing a package on debian that handles screen locks?

Whenever my computer goes to sleep, or I press "lock screen" it shits the bed and I have to reboot it.

Might be something that xfce4 didn't include.

Thanks mate
Folks here told me to go with debian because ubuntu is botnet

Do:
echo mem | sudo tee /sys/power/state
that directly sends a suspend to ram command to kernel skipping your DE, if it still poops itself then you know it's not your xfce4 but down to how your kernel and hardware interacts with each other

>Folks here told me to go with debian because ubuntu is botnet
You're a gullible fool then. I'm surprised you didn't install gentoo.

if I have one DE and install another, am I going to get annoying doubling programs etc.?

what's the source of the pic?

Okay well that narrows it down somewhat, so thanks. Seems the kernel is fine.

So, I got curious and tried running light-locker-command -l manually. Instead of going to light-locker like it SHOULD, it turns off my main monitor, and just displays a blinking line on my other monitor. But no ttl, and I can't get into one by ctrl alt F(X)ing.

So I installed gnome-screensaver and tried running gnome-screensaver-command -l and same thing.

Kind of weird, anybody know what's causing this, or where the problem lies? It's nothing SUPER pressing, but it's frustrating.

chapter 11

of what?

i think you're retarded. google it ffs

i wouldn't have asked if google had returned acceptable answers

it actually does, you can find the source with a simple google!

ah nevermind found it :)

Gentoo is love. Gentoo is life.

How do I change xmonad's stupid multihead defaults? The screens should have their own windows and be inside the same workspace at all times.

Yes, it's fully switched to CSS-like theming which is easier for theme creators.

>whaaa i can't use a 5 year old theme whaaaa
Update it yourself.

Please avoid using the term “google” as a verb, meaning to search for something on the internet. “Google” is just the name of one particular search engine among others. We suggest to use the term “search the web” or (in some contexts) just “search”. Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy.

Total n00b here. I want to make Fedora Linux my main OS(i can run Qemu here for muh games, right?), but first i´m learning all i can about it in a VM, however, it works too laggy. Should i switch from Oracle VM? (i'm in W7 with a I5 2320 and i gave it 3 Gb of ram power).

>Fedora
Found your problem

>strawmanning
Minor version updates should never break compatibility, retard

What is his problem? Can you back it up with reasonable facts or are you just parroting memes and stock responses you picked up on here to appear smart?

Why not just boot it from a USB? It will run smoother.
Ignore posts like that.

Fedrora is not meant to be a main OS, total noob. It's an experimentation distro, it's not stable. VM performance should be the least of your concerns

> is not meant to be a main OS
What's a "main OS"?

>experimentation distro
What makes it an experimentation distro?

>it's not stable
How is it not stable? What is your definition of stable? I have a feeling that it's something as stupid as using older versions of software which coincide with Debian's stable branch.

Trash

Get out this is a "friendly" Linux thread

>What's a "main OS"?
You tell me >What makes it an experimentation distro?
"RHEL's test subject" how does that sound?

>How is it not stable?
Stable packages are moved to RHEL while Fedora gets new packages to test for RHEL

I'm running it as my main OS right now and I never had a single problem.
It even recognized that fucking wacom digitizer out of the box, which really surprised me.

I wonder how most open-source developers make their livelihood.

If I were rich, I would feel absolutely fine with working for free. I wouldn't need money anymore, so I just work toward the utopia of free-software to enrich the lives of my fellow man.

However, if you're still wage-slaving life and spend all of your free time working for free, you're a cuck. This is time you could've been developing closed-source pay software that could free you from the wage-slave life.

Is the init war truly over? Has systemd become as much an inherent part of Linux as the kernel itself and the GNU coreutils? Are systemd-free distros an irrelevant deadend fringe in 2016 and beyond?

I'm not the guy who wrote "main OS".

>"RHEL's test subject" how does that sound?
Highly subjective and relative.

>Stable packages are moved to RHEL while Fedora gets new packages to test for RHEL
And? People are using the latest released versions of programs on Windows and Mac OS and those are considered stable with no one complaining. How does running the latest released (from upstream) version on Linux make it unstable?

>systemd-free distros an irrelevant deadend fringe in 2016 and beyond?
Yes, for a good reason

Now we want a standardized package format like snaps

>Highly subjective and relative.
Are you actually denying the well established fact that Fedora is a lab rat for RHEL?

>How does running the latest released (from upstream) version on Linux make it unstable?
Same reason why RHEL doesn't have the latest packages in their latest stable brunch

I've decided to switch to MATE in place of xfce because I just think it does everything xfce can do but much better. I'm having a small issue with system colors though. It doesn't seem to be registering the theme default colors. The colors all work fine and set themselves, but for one reason or the other, wants no business with detecting them. I can easily set them myself, although unlike on my archtop with MATE, I have to logout and log in to see changes. I also can't be specific with the color, because the dialog isn't the same.

I imagine I'm just missing a few packages or something. Anyone know what it is?

Isn't the problem numix only? I don't think all the themes can be modified through that panel