Mfw studying CS

>mfw studying CS
>mfw calculus
>mfw im prob gonna sudoku
I-I just wanted to code 2d games and not read all this bullshit

Other urls found in this thread:

tutorial.math.lamar.edu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Calculus is so fucking easy, you must be a street shitter if you find it hard, here in the UK we do it when we're 16 or so, why are burgers so retarded?

Math is awesome you fucker, learn it.

Jesus christ these fucking idiot kids wanting to make fucking video games. You're not even a computer scientist you're a computer monkey.

First year calc isn't that hard. You git gud by doing lots of practice problems. If you have significant difficulty with it then you might have to change majors.

Why the fuck would anyone want to be a scientist? Are you a nerd?

Drop out like the rest of the dumbfucks that can't do math.

streetshitter are better in math than you statistically

Of course some street shitters are better than me because there's literally billions of them, but the average street shitter is for sure worse than me.

>he bought into the cs = programming meme
CS is a subfields of mathematics you dolt

I took cal 1-3 with professors with the highest failure rates. Just practice the problems in the book, while minimizing the number of times you have to refer to the notes and you'll see yourself improve.

just do it over and over and then forget it and
>import

Yeah, amongst the group that had the wherewithal and work ethic to immigrate to the UK (and thus probably at least a standard decision above the mean in terms of intelligence and competence)

>I-I just wanna play games and shit, I'm go into computer science

You deserve it.

I'll go*

I can't even english ffs, but at least I can do derivatives and integrals unlike OP.

this is exactly why i wanted to do it on the side

>he thinks calculus is about derivatives and integrals
kek, did Harlem community college enter the thread?

math thread?

what is the point of limits? all books just seems to worry about teaching you the notation but does not give a cool problem e.g. anything outside of finding the limits of a function.

Limits are the basis of how derivatives and integrals are worked out.

Integrals:
>make a series of little rectangles under the curve of a function to approximate the area under the curve. As the width of those rectangles gets smaller, the area estimate gets more accurate. The limit as the rectangle width goes to zero actually gives you the exact area under the curve.

Derivatives:
>Take two points on a curve and run a line through them. Calculate the slope of that line which is an approximation of the rate of change of the function. That approximation gets better as the distance between the two points gets smaller. The limit as the distance approaches zero is the derivative, which gives you the rate of change of the function at a specific point.

Almost anyone can do calculus. It doesn't take even an above average intelligence. The problem is that most college professors teaching the subject don't give a fuck. You end up having to teach yourself.

That said, as long as you do the practice problems, you will be fine. Spend at least an hour a day solving practice problems. If you don't understand a concept, you may have to spend more than an hour.

In first semester calc 1, half of the kids usually already took calculus in high school. So they may brag about how easy the class is or how they didn't need to study. That's because the entire semester is review for them.

Practice practice practice. Use review websites. Use books.

True dis. I struggled like fucking crazy in middle/early high school with algebra and geometry and stuff.

Got to college, took calc 1-2-3 and breezed through them teaching myself.
My problem was always having shitty instructors.
Finally realized I did a better job teaching myself.

Professors give a fuck, you just need to show initiative to set yourself apart from the shitters who don't know why they're there

what the hell were you expecting of your instructors? calc 1. is a very mechanical course. just do problems and you learn to do problems.

calc is eazy

I agree with this guy, why would want to be Tesla when you can be Edison ?

What is the best way to learn calculus on my own without taking any classes? Do I just pick up almost any calculus book and read from chapter to chapter?

Yes, pick up a book with good reviews, learn the shit by heart and practice a lot. Be sure to set yourself a goal (like a maths-orientated programming project) or you'll get demotivated very quickly.

Apostol Calculus

Takeing cal 2 soon. I dont remember any of my anti derivatives except for the very basic. How fucked am i?

you don't go far in game development if "math is bullshit" to you.

You can do that without the degree already; unity and game maker studio allow you to start with "I don't know what the fuck I'm doing lol" levels of experience and grow with you, and there is a guide for every other language for making a game and its engine; oftentimes several high quality ones.

OP is a nodev for life because he has no ambition to actually seize his own success, not because he sucks at math.

requesting webcomic showing a classroom with a whiteboard of complex math and a student saying something along the lines of "what the hell, i just wanted to make games"

> I just want to code 2d games
> Studies CS

GTFO my field you code monkey, clearly CS isn't for you.

That's literally the first two quarters of calculus is integrals and derivatives, it only changes when you get to analysis and differentials equations. Most people don't even have to take "upper" division calculus you fucking mongloid.

>Most people don't even have to take "upper" division calculus
Fucking retard

>CS
>Not CE

lmaoing at ur life

You better get real good in calculus especially if you wanna make games and engines later on.

i used to hate math but ever since i got into game development i started liking it but im meh at it , anyone got some good sources for getting good at math? im hungry for knowledge so new concepts would be ez to pick up

How hard is discrete mathematics to pick up? I doing cs in university soon and I haven't touched any math in 2-3 years and feel like I've forgotten most everything besides the basics.

Oh dear.
You got it all wrong.
Unless you are smart (which you are not) and want to do smart things like work on AI and Google cars (which you will never be able to do) you are not supposed to ever open your calculus book!
You pass college by acquiring all tests of the last 10 years and memorizing them. It's about getting into contact with alumna and getting access to those elusive Facebook groups and dropbox links.
You can easily become a codemonkey, team lead, consultant, manager...
If you are not smart you need to know how to beat the system.

Solid rebuttal fag. Bet your cute community college reference is just projection.

Khan maybe?

Do you even need calculus for game dev? Wasn't it just linear algebra and geometry?

Mostly. Still good to know calc and physics.

Maybe anyone can with the right knowledge base, I was starting algebra when I was 17. Yes im a third world shitter and teachers taught nothing basically.

pretty much this.

I thought calculus was some hard shit, like very advanced math, but after some research i found out here we're doing it in school around 16/17

I'm one of the dumbest people I know and even I passed calculus

Calc I is easy as balls, I got over a 100% in it when I took it at community college the summer before my freshman year

patrickjmt.com

discrete math is baby tier for the first semester or two, it's pretty easy to grasp t-b-h.

Lol thats because the poo in the loos and asians love to cheat

>muh gaymes
Computer Science is neither about computers nor is it about science. Get out now if you're not serious about math in any way, shape or form.

> Calculus? In my CS?
I envy you mate, I wish my CS was more math-based. I do double major and the difference in difficulty and resulting knowledge is all too obvious.

>using Riemann integration
>not using Lebesgue integration
It's like you've never worked with distributions.

>mfw got interested in dev and coding and learning all the math i slept throguh/had 0 interest in high school/college

To be fair the math taught back then the teachers showed 0 practical application and it was mostly about standardized testing and shit.Also a public school so literally no one cares.

>so fucking easy

don't listen to this douchebag

calculus is difficult because of its complexity and obfuscation, but when taught well, it can be transparent

but to go in thinking it's easy is a mistake

and user probably failed it

>I-I just wanted to code 2d games and not read all this bullshit
There is relatively much math in games if you really get into it.

most people take it sophomore or junior year of high school

did you get left back because of retardedness?

i laugh at your incompetence

You'll be fucked if you want to do any decent physics by yourself. Knowing the differential equations for motion and how to do decent numerical approximations of solutions (fuck Euler forward, at least do a higher order RK or Verlet integration) mandates at least some know-how of calculus.

University math is a step up from school math.
It's true that the concepts are basically the same: deriving, limits, integrating, you probably already learnt all that in school and that's true.

But what makes university math so hard is that you don't have a teacher who holds your hand and says "ok kids, we'll spend an hour practicing real world problems for integration now!"
Instead the professor explains it by giving you the formal definition, a few lemmas and proofs for them.
Now this is difficult because when you enter university, most people aren't familiar with formal mathematical notation yet, they possibly haven't gone over logic and set theory before, they may have never even heard of proof by induction. If you have, great you went to a good school. But not everyone did.

I had calculus in my first semester and was completely overwhelmed, but eventually I started to understand things. And then in the second semester linear algebra was piss easy.

Calculus you learn in highschool is not nearly as hard as what you learn in College, even AP courses. Don't kid yourself, kid.

I hate that I remember my calculus class, in highschool, more for cutting and pasting notes into our notebooks, than actually sitting there and practice problems. I still have no idea how we got an elementary school tier teacher to do that class, instead of some retired professor to teach it. University calculus 1-3 was so much tougher, but I learned so much more from those classes.

This guy has it right. I wrote an update function to handle velocity and acceleration, and multiply it by delta time for framerate independent movement. Was using a thing we call euler integration without even knowing it, then i switched to verlet integration.

I still had no clue what integration meant when I was reading about it, until I looked at a book on game engine physics

>wanted to code 2d games
I just wanted to be lazy and then I got my degree, OH WAIT I DIDNT.

Math is gay and you're gay you nerd

Oh I don't know, maybe my $1300 worth for the class?

This is why no one will ever take CS majors seriously. Even Pajeet knows Calculus. A high school dropout has a better chance of being useful than a CS major.

>mfw took math placement test a week ago
>mfw forgot literally everything math related in the few months after high school graduation
>mfw got placed in intermediate algebra, not even a college level class

low iq detected

Statistics is a shitload harder than Calculus.

>Intermediate Algebra
>Complex Fractions
>Radicals
>Exponents

How do you not remember these things?

Kys

Took AP statistics my senior year of HS and I'm also someone who never studies and forgets about something after they take the test for it.
I never had a chance.

Try telling that to someone doing hardcore differential geometry.

Apples and oranges.

Fucking this. Please explain to me why I am wrong for expecting a professor to show up on time and not be hungover for my $1000 class

It's okay user, I took precalc/trig in HS and I only got placed into college algebra on the entry exam, I tried the exam again and just barely placed into precalc. my advisor said it's better to go through college algebra instead of precalc so I could "cement my knowledge". That was good advice. I don't think I could have gotten an A+ in precalc last semester if I didn't refresh my algebra.

Also brebare your angus for sjws. All campuses have them.

>Also brebare your angus for sjws. All campuses have them.
Don't remind me.
I went to a "camp" for incoming freshman/transfer students and there were "diversity training" presentations/activities. One of them was a sort of skit that dealt with judging people I guess and they got to one part where someone asked something along the lines of "I wonder if he's having everything paid for because he's an immigrant" and the narrator pretty much said "You never know who might be one, so don't offend people" followed by 4 of the people in the skit stepping forward and shouting "I'M UNDOCUMENTED".
I was triggered.
Of course, this was only part of one of the three "diversity trainings" required.

>sleep through high school calc 1, 5 on ap
>don't go to 95% of calc 2-4 at uni(state school, reportedly 50%+ dropout rate for calc 2 and 4), As in all of them
>mfw 1.9 semester GPA when I tried the same thing with my EE classes
>mfw no face
something something blog

I don't think anyone "deserves" the circumstances their born into, so it's silly to ridicule them purely for that.

If you want to feel proud of performing better than a country that started industrializing in the 1950s and where half the population is subsistence farmers and suffers malnutrition, go right ahead but I've nothing but pit for you.

it's not such a bad culture in terms of mathematics when their computational ideas are literally everywhere you look, even at the top of your very post.

Was me bro, first semester. 2 schools & 4yrs later, you'll be siting in your 400lvl Abstract Alg. lecture wondering how long you've been this smart all along and still C+ your Final.
>yfw
Nvm the bullshit excuse for an "Education" for your "Paper"

Oh god I'm getting Vietnam-tier flashbacks to last year.

Gather around it's story time, Sup Forumsentoomen.

>It was fall orientation 2015
>my "guide" was the most stereotypical starbucks-macbook-typewriter-type hipster
>there were a few obvious landwhale feminazis in my group
>orientation covered things like "only men can rape" to "islam is a religion of peace"
>It was a massive overload of irl tumblr
>I was relieved when I heard we were going to break for lunch
>until I heard it was ONLY SALAD AND VEGAN TOFU SHIT
>I just had bread and water for lunch
>see another engineering student in line at the salad bar with bread and water with a thousand yard stare from the presentation
>they gave me handbag full of liberal propaganda at the end

That day mentally scarred me for life

If you actually want to code efficient 2D games with like particle effects and shit, yes, you even want to know this shit.

If you wanted to draw pictures and hack them together in the most trivial way possible in Ren'Py or RPGmaker, fuck off and go do that.

No. No, it isn't.

Besides both fields are so fucking many llifetimes of work that I don't even expect you to know the extents of the field even roughly.

this, bro .. my teachers were so incompetent and lazy, thus making the subject seem boring and worthless. I probably did a better job teaching myself than they ever could though.

We almost only had shit teaching materials and the teacher that was probably actually better than them was forced to teach us with them.

Fucking school was such a waste of time for such abstract topics, I learned a lot of maths way quicker with random programming manuals before even entering school.

And they haven't revised this shit to be better.

Arguably, famous university-tier books start to be workable, but even they could use a bit more cross-referencing and could present multiple approaches (rather than one rigid way from one field - there often is an overlap after all) at explaining most concepts as they teach them.

My degree was in CS, also because I wanted to make games. I never had to do Calc though. Then again I graduated over a decade ago, so maybe they're raising the bar to keep all the little "i wanna make da next angryfarmvilleflappymeme megabux" mobilepleb shitters out.

if you actually had to study for calc 1 and 2 to get an A, or even get a B (i'm being generous) then you really don't belong in any hard sci, comp sci, or engineering program, let alone math, since the typical first year math student already has differential equations and linear algebra done from high school, assuming it wasn't a shit public school

You were at a third rate "CS" university.

Even second-rates had calculus since forever (they just pardon more mistakes and less extensive knowledge of it). And the first rates really want you to be fucking good at it and the other maths closest to computers.

Has been that way since basically forever.

Mind you, I don't blame you, and you surely can do a job well, but some fucking government entities should generally raise the bar back to a meaningful level for academia and do vocational training elsewhere.

>calculus
>first part
>"here's this incredibly complicated method you will need to use for finding the derivative, memorize it and get ready to regurgitate it thousands of times on tests"
>have one test
>after test
>"LOL JK HERE'S THE FUCKING DIRT SIMPLE EASY METHOD, CALCULUS IS A FUCKING CAKEWALK"

>mfw going to university 8 years after graduating highschool and forgetting everything

You forget that they don't let you use the simply method on anything after the second test.

Same boat, what to do

placement tests are bullshit
i got a 5 on the ap calc test and they wanted me to take precalc because of my placement scores

Khan Academy. Start from beginning.

So, I'm starting calculus 1 in less than a week, what should I expect?

actually learn as hard as you possibly fucking can

honestly just pay attention, read your book, and do practice problems
you'll be fine as long as you give a shit

Make sure your algebra skills are good. Just in case ur professor is a dick and makes you simply everything.

If it's while doing comp.sci at an university, it's generally just a grind for most people.

Well, Calculus 1 isn't so bad alone, but the other subjects aren't exactly a completely different kind of thing.

You mostly just crunch that shit into your head while sitting over books and papers and reading and writing for hours. And you better crunch a lot of times early, or the tests will be too hard - like most people you probably feel like not passing some subjects is resulting in a REALLY shit situation, and you'll be tired either way.

>prove Parseval's theorem
>by integrating infinite sums without checking uniform convergence
They suck at math.

I almost failed Calc 1

This site helped so fucking much:
tutorial.math.lamar.edu/

Also patrickjmt on youtube