BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers, install BSD.

Other urls found in this thread:

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2016-August/017840.html
openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

anyone ITT tried NetBSD on old SPARC pizza boxes?

want to set up a SPARCStation 2 as a shitbox terminal server for email checking and playing textmode games and it sounds like it would be easier to do that then wrestling with SunOS or Slowlaris 2.x

A
B
SHIT
O
L
U
T
E

Another one?

FreeBSD devs claim to have reached parity with Linux 4.8 for DRM based drivers.

lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-x11/2016-August/017840.html

No one really uses NetBSD, right?

It used to be used in the international space station computers. NetBSD is pretty niche a lot of the people that use it are current or former NetBSD devs

There is a thread already, BSD cucks. Contain your autism

Other thread was created after this one and it's probably a troll thread anyway.

literally starts allthatiswrong

of course it's a troll thread but it's funny since it managed to generate SOME real discussion

my fridge does

It's a failure as much as Lunix is in the desktop

Suck a dick

Where?

OpenBSD is 70% GNU codebase. NetBSD a subsidiary of Microsoft, FreeBSD is a subsidiary of apple.

C
O
M
P
L
E
T
Excrement

Quit posting that shitty bait

quit posting multiple identical thread

Can't quit what you haven't started.

yes you can, become an hero faggot

no u

my dubs overrule

nah

What benefits does BSD offer over Linux?

none. all BSD systems are non-free operating systems and subsidiaries of Apple.

MAC, ZFS, firewalls, etc

>SELinux
>We have ZFS now
>...you mean like as an OS for firewalls? Linux has many firewall options

Better userland. No --extremely ------long -------------options ----------unfriendly --------------for -------------------the ------------------------commandline

>unfriendly
lol

Ops, wrong one
:^)

could somebody please explain to me how to burn openbsd 5.9 to a disk? do i just need cd59.iso ?

you need install59.iso

cd59 is just for netinstalls

>unix-savvy
>Control Panel (tm)
pick one and only one

thankzzzzzzz

OpenBSD 6.0 comes out on September 1, too.

word up

openbsd.org/faq/faq4.html

>political bullshit nobody cares about
>PC-BSD, the shittiest BSD that basically nobody uses
>"UNIX"

>openbsd project leader is mean, entire project is shit!
>haha Linus is so edgy and doesn't give a fuck, I love how he BTFOs people

Ok

i don't know why iXsystems is pushing it so hard too

i think they're trying to compete with SUSE and Red Hat but PC-BSD is just so fucking bad

who knows, maybe they think that shitty DE they're making for it will take off or something

either way that retarded example is like saying Windows 10 is shit because you ran XP on a Pentium II once

Kek
At least Linus wrote the kernel

Hey, I'm using Lumina right now.

i have some hope for lumina as an alternative Qt WM, the thing's pretty much in alpha so of course it'll look like shit but god damn, PC-BSD is flat out terrible

>dude you have to use zfs lmao
>the PC-BSD control panel sticks out like a sore thumb
there's more too

Pcbsd is freebsd, one that has zfs and linux compatibility

no, linus wrote some x86 assembly and terrible GNU dialect C and other people added shit on top

Yes he wrote the Linux kernel

you don't get what i'm saying, do you

That's my thing to say

He wrote a very small part of it.

is it any good? it looks just awful and doesn't really seem like it brings anything new and exciting to the table, guess you could blame it on the alpha stage development but holy fuck the screenshots made me gag

those aren't unique to PC-BSD, FreeBSD has both of those too, though I don't know about Open or Net

It's the most decent Windows-clone DE I myself know of, but I'm actually not too knowledgeable as for WMs and stuff.
Unlike GNOME and KDE, it really works. Not halfway works, but completely works.
I like both FVWM and Lumina.

fair enough, GNOME (2.x)/MATE seems like a decent winclone when you rice it a bit though, I like my comfy OI setup

Honestly I want to wean myself off of the boring IBM PC winclone stuff some day.
Using stuff like xterm and xedit has taught me that X11 (at least programs made with Xaw) itself has interesting keybindings of its own. Keybindings not inspired by Windows.

And I'm doubleposting, but neat, how is OI? I've been too lazy to figure out the release/hipster stuff.

can't totally knock windows-isms, they work where they work, but venturing into new realms of computing is always exciting
it's alright for basic use though it feels kind of... forgotten. trash on a laptop though, wireless support is absolutely awful and lacking in features, let alone usability, I usually have to restart it every time I move to a new network to get it to connect, would definitely be running Solaris 10 instead if I could find the fucking driver for my NIC

maybe it's different on Hipster, I was too retarded to figure out incorporation so I ended up going with the stable/old release that at least let me install the packages I wanted, a little old as they were

my biggest gripe with it is probably that CDE is unstable as fuck on it and bricked my system more than once, but even if it did work it still lacks GWM and other little Sun enhancements

Yeah, I'm looking for the variety, too. I actually tried FreeDOS a week ago and it was actually too tough for me, since I've only used Unix and Windows, not DOS.
I see. Yeah, that sounds a little trashy of an experience. I'll try Solaris after I finally make the Oracle account required to try it.

Can someone confirm theo the rat hacked that router?