BSD and other things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD, FreeNAS...

IRC -- #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News: dragonflydigest.com - undeadly.org - freebsdnews.com

Ask questions, get answers, ignore usability

Other urls found in this thread:

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
youtube.com/watch?v=8hQkhyTOpks
catalog.neet.tv/stats.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Reminder that FreeBSD literally has FBI backdoors.

A
B
SHIT
O
L
U
T
E

[citation needed]

Now that OpenBackdoor is shit, what BSD should I reccomend?
NetBSD is an idea

Switch back to Linux

are you still posting trollaxor stories as if they were fact

post screenshots from your BSD machines!

Not more than 4-5 people use BSD. Most of them happen to be macfags

Okay kid

OpenBSD developers develop on OpenBSD and use OpenBSD as their daily driver.

Prepare to get your keyboard remapped by your project leader

How hard is it to migrate my riced out debian shit to freebsd?

and still nobody posted a screenshot

retard install x window system and xfce or whatever. and GOOGLE SHIT FAGGOT

Let me open up my toy BSDbox via SSH

Can you view/use proprietary media files in BSD?

Testing stuff out in a VM.

Listen, I don't care what they told you in school, there ARE stupid questions. Why are you such a weak fucking person, to allow yourself to post such stupid fucking questions? You gay little nigger

Thoughts on this FreeBSD security fiasco, gentlement?

vez.mrsk.me/freebsd-defaults.txt
I saw this linked many times. Seems to be a good write up.

Why though? It looks the same as if I was running Linux.

what are those proprietary formats in particular? mp3 is one and you can play them

Woah there buddy, what's wrong?

Thanks. How about the video files like flash?

there is no flash for openbsd although gnash may or may not work? i don't know

OpenBSD BTFO

FreeBSD BTFO

What *BSD does Sup Forums approve now?

OpenBSD

>*Gets hacked by theo himself*

OSX

Why does BSDs always attract cucks?
>License literally cucks you: Companies can steal your code, lock it off and doesn't have to give you anything back
>Devs getting hacked by the project leader
>Project leader constantly picking fights that he can't win
>The only usable desktop BSD constantly getting disfavoured by their own community

youtube.com/watch?v=8hQkhyTOpks

Seriously
Just buy a Macbook

>look mom I posted it again

>>Devs getting hacked by the project leader
why are you trying so hard to force this

>BSD
Enjoy your proprietary software.

>being a freetard

>implying he is one
one minute he'll vehemently defend the GPL and one minute later he'll laugh at BSD for "not having proprietary software"

I would like to give it a try but I know absolutely NOTHING, and I don't know even where to start to know more. Can I have pros and cons? My "hardest" experiencie is Void in a VM and in a very old laptop, but didn't go any deep.

Sorry if I ask something retarded.

Read the OpenBSD FAQ, you'll get all the info you need there.

>these faggots really believe they only have one troll
catalog.neet.tv/stats.html

It will give me "all" information about "all" BSDs?

Of course not, it'll give you information on the one you should use.

Obviously not.

If you're interested in learning about FreeBSD too, they have a nice handbook.

I prefer OpenBSD so that's why I suggested it to you first, but you can try out FreeBSD first if you want.

>Can I have pros and cons?
No non-free drivers, No propietary softwares, insecure ports, less software than Linux, no ZFS etc etc, pick one
>Cons
At least it won't cost you money

That's a nice thing, thanks user.

Well, for now I would like to learn about which BSD is better in what. I don't have anything in mind, so I don't want to close any doors.

I think OpenBSD is the most general purpose of them all.

FreeBSD is mostly used for servers, but if you can use it on a desktop, then that's great.

NetBSD is mostly experimental these days, there's no real serious usage of it anymore I don't think. DragonflyBSD is a 100% experiment fork though.

Try FreeBSD and OpenBSD. Dragonfly BSD and NetBSD aren't really as straightforward as those two.

Ok, seems like Open and Free are more stables.

And maybe is because I'm new, but why I feel like I'm ready another Linux distro? I mean, it says is UNIX (I can't argue technicalities since I'm very new) but I can't get why it should be this special.

I mean, "*BSD general" feels like it should be mentioned apart of other distros. Am I wrong, am I not understanding something?

Thanks for replying, guys.

>I mean, "*BSD general" feels like it should be mentioned apart of other distros.
The BSDs are completely different operating systems. On the surface it may not seem like it, but internally Linux and BSD are nothing alike except maybe for the GCC compiler on OpenBSD and NetBSD.

But they have target use? I mean, for example, like Linux is "code" oriented and BSD is more "design" oriented.

I use "" because I'm not saying it serious or like it is that way.

I don't think I understand your question.

FreeBSD is mostly used for servers while OpenBSD enjoys some use as a firewall operating system that can also do much more.

OpenBSD is 70% GNU codebase. NetBSD a subsidiary of Microsoft, FreeBSD is a subsidiary of apple.

lol

0/10

Ok, sorry for my english.

My question will be, why I'm reading is very appart of Linux (I mean, it is because how its made) but why can't I change the feeling of "another distro" (knowing it is not another distro)

Look it up

burden of proof is on you

Why would I bother googling something I know is bullshit?

your english is not good enough

i'm not proving anything faggot, i'm letting you know about something you may be interested in

dumbest post of the year

>dumbest post of the year
Why were you replying to me if you were talking about your own post?

well that's kind of normal

linux and the GNU utils were designed to behave a lot like UNIX, so of course it feels similar

the real difference starts to become apparent when you start reading the man pages or even when you recompile the OS

are you using openbsd right now? look up pages like "release" for example, you'll never find anything like that in linux

I will try one last time, I don't want to bother anyone.

If BSD is not Linux, with I feel it like any random OS?

keep your head in the sand little autist this is all well published

your sentence is meaningless

>i'm not proving anything faggot
exactly

It'll seem very similar to you as BSD is Unix and Linux is Unix-like.

>keep your head in the sand little autist this is all well published
Then post some proof. You won't though because we both know you can't.

rekt

When you install a DE or WM on top of them the BSDs will tend to look like any other Unix-like system but the utilties that make up a BSD or GNU/Linux distro might not be behave the same or even be present. BSDs have different system calls, APIs/ABIs(applications), support different hardware, have different security features, support different filesystems, have different filesystem layouts and probably a ton of other things that I'm not thinking of.

Ok, so the difference, appart from how is it made, is how will I use it? I mean, it is an OS in the end, so I can't search difference when there's none, right?

Tell me if I'm saying stupid things, please, I know nothing.

it will be slightly different, yes

openbsd doesn't have sudo included in the base anymore, you'll be using doas for example

if you're into firewalls it's completely different (and better) compared to how linux does it

Functionally the BSDs can do many of the same things that GNU/Linux can they just have their own ways of doing things that some consider. It all comes down to preferences.

If you like how GNU/Linux works you don't have to concern yourself with switching to a BSD. It doesn't really hurt to learn about them though.

BSD is absolute bullshit.

I see, for now, I guess I will research FreeNAS when I want to put up my NAS. Or should I try 1st debian? Also, pfSense have something to do with BSD?

Yeah, I wanted to know a little more, and you guys are helping me a lot, very thanks. You're very friendly.

Fuck off

I read about this

samefag

>Also, pfSense have something to do with BSD?
Yes, it's based on FreeBSD and uses OpenBSD's firewall.

FreeNAS and pfSense can be thought of as "distros" of FreeBSD. They're based on FreeBSD but with emphasis on certain applications. FreeNAS is designed to simplify creating a NAS and has a user friendly management interface and pfSense has an interface for managing NAT settings and pf, the built in firewall/packet filtering engine.

FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, and Dragonfly BSD are all quite different from one another. They're different all the way down to the kernel. This makes them not technically "distros" in the sense that they're based on a central kernel like with Linux distros, but rather they're based on the common philosophy of UNIX and also they're descendants from the original Berkley Unix(BSD)

This is a great thing to read, I have better vision about BSD now. Ok, more questions, do you guys have a personal opinion about using (for example) BSD in router or NAS against other OS?

I mean, now I know what BSD use and where, but do you guys like it using it there?

>le theo is unfriendly meme
All my communications with him have been wonderful.

>unfriendly
He's a hostile autist :^)

"a friend of mine"
Isn't this the time that Richard Stallman was bragging about being insecure and had his keyboard mapping changed?
Stallman apologists please go.

I don't really have any specific need for anything the BSDs offer but I do prefer the syntax of pf over iptables for instance and the development model of the BSDs with a central group managing the base of the OS while the user's applications are separated out is quite nice.

>le trollaxor meme
fuck OFF

Pretty hostile

>using the smiley with a carat nose