Okay Sup Forums let's be real for a second

Linux is not a viable operating system. Its desktop-environments are highly counterintuitive and the programs are always substandard and inferior compared to Windows' own. It's very clear to an end user that nobody there knows how to actually design graphically.
Sure, programming wise Linux is probably fine,but what use is that if they can't use Linux for anything productive?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
joeduffyblog.com/2015/11/03/a-tale-of-three-safeties/).
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Its desktop-environments are highly counterintuitive and the programs are always substandard and inferior compared to Windows' own. It's very clear to an end user that nobody there knows how to actually design graphically.
>

Implying programming isn't the purest outlet of human productivity and advancement that exists today. Creating machine learning algos > keeping track of an SMEs tax returns for example

Please define productivity.

Linux lets you do alot of things. It runs well on embeded systems, alot of video game consoles run it.

bunch of subjective horse shit
just use what you want and stop shitting up the board with these stupid threads
>the only good product is a mediocre one because otherwise normies would like it!
I wish you "form and function are mutually exclusive" shitters would fuck off too, you're the cancer of free software.

>>the only good product is a mediocre one because otherwise normies would like it!
I never made that statement, jackass. Please don't use me as a springboard to launch your manlet ass onto your soapbox. If looks really mattered, Windows would have virtually zero marketshare.

Unity is just as inferior and substandard as Windows 10.

I do all my work on Linux including programming, MIDI composition, video editing, spreadsheets, documents etc. Also gaming.

xubuntu is more comfy than any windows

You are crazy. I was a windowsuer for a while. Didn't even know there was anything else. Then I started to learn about open source. Cut my teeth on Ubuntu and never looked back. I can do anything with Linux you can do with wincrap. And guess what if something is buggy I can fix it and it legal. I use nothing but Linux and open source programs and have no problems at all. FYI most game systems run a Linux core

>trying to get objective views on Sup Forums

Define your use case

>meme meme meme meme meme
what a whiny bitch you are
>If looks really mattered, Windows would have virtually zero marketshare.
where the fuck did anyone say it was the sole deciding factor? you're a retard because you discount it entirely, because you keep furthering this shit attitude that polish and care is for fags and hairdressers

and looks do matter, because this talking point is brought up again and again and again and again and every fucking time you mediocre half-asses cry and whine with retarded ad-hominem attacks because you're a tasteless piece of shit and it hurts to admit and own up to it

>Its desktop-environments are highly counterintuitive
>Click Start to shutdown

Why are you, a non-technological person, spouting this on a board for technology people?

Why do windows users think their cubicle monkey and "art" ""jobs"" are somehow worth a shit?

>HURR ITS PRODUCTIVE
Okay, nice buzzword, did you learn it by eavesdropping on management? They were referring to how much it sucks that they have to pay you when we have computer systems that do the same thing as long as there's no paper and handwriting to decipher, and how little work you do compared to those systems. Every business in the world deeply wishes for a future where they don't have to buy a single windows license because everything is being computer on a linux mainframe via free software their in-house programmers are at liberty to modify to the evolving needs of the company.

this thread again ? can we end with this shit ? Everybody knows it's bait and yet they reply. You guys are stupid

you've been meme'd
nobody actually uses looncucks as a daily driver in Sup Forums except those hipster weaboo autist who only use it for watching cancernime

I work at a 60,000+ company and literally never seen anyone use Windows. It's all OS X or Linux.

Windows 10 sucks.

>but what use is that if they can't use Linux for anything productive?

youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=lqgugAj69xw
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU

Windows 10 is a shit.

Linux
>open terminal
>sudo apt install firefox

Windows
>open other web browser
>type "firefox" into search engine
>look for official website
>click on link
>click download button
>wait for file to download
>double click downloaded exe
>UAC pops up
>click to grant admin rights
>installer opens
>click next
>click next
>click next
>click next
>click finish

Wew, linux is so inferior for desktop use.

Thoroughly rekt

Was this thread posted by Watson.

>clicking buttons is SO HARD and is detrimental to my productivity(TM)

well, if you don't game, i guess linux is fine for the most part, really.

Linux runs better on my toaster

This is the one thing that fascinates me about linux. It's really that fucking simple most of the time. Not only is installation easy, but you can batch update all your programs/applications/repos just as easily.

Yet, because it's done in the terminal normies get scared off pretty easily.

terminaltism is probably overblown, they just are trying to get you to fuck off shilling it because they don't care or otherwise want to be associated with you

>Gaming on Linux
It's getting better, but it's still not great. New releases almost never have Linux support.

>Linux is not intuitive to me, therefore it is useless to everyone
Seriously though, I've run Linux exclusively on my laptop for years. It's the main reason why my 7.5 year old laptop is still usable (and is even still using the original battery).

>Linux is not a viable operating system.

And nothing of value will happen in this thread.

/do not open thread
/hide thread

I have a different question, why is there no third alternative?

What I mean is:
>Apple: Only runs on their hardware
>*BSD: Forgotten and has no hardware support
>Windows: Actual OS you can use in PC
>Linux: Actual OS you can use in PC
Is the demand for OS for PC so low that no one is going into this professionally?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>the way you click and press icons to get to the web browser is much more counterintuitive than the way you should click and press buttons to get to a web browser

stopped reading there, fuck yourself OP

Hey pajeet. I hear it's the monsoon season now.

top kek you're dumb

I'd say that at least 90% of all steam releases have Linux support as of late. The only thing not supported is usually AAA games.

>t. mactoddler

mfw I realized that Linux has already taken over as the dominant OS in form of a dumbed down retard version called Android

Do you have to be so mean all the time?

Looncucks a shit. My last win was 7. When I was a linuxnoob I always wondered why LTS was such a big deal. When shit started breaking because I was upgrading asap (and basically beta-testing software at that point) because lawlz, gotta be bleeding edge. That being said, nothing beats being one "sudo apt install " away from setting up a dev environment. I setup a joint py2-py3 dev env on a normie friend's non-win 10 wincucks and it was hell. I wish I just plopped down cygwin or a vm and be done with it.
Leenacks will never be desktop-ready because normies don't wanna work with "like-microsoft-word-but", "like-photoshop-but" and "like-notepad-but". At least Spotify works on ubantoo, and as long as Canonical gets payed and continues to support my free as in antifreeze posix compliant gahnew plas leedicks ohh ess, I don't give a fuck about widespread adoption. I don't know if it would benefit from widespread adoption as easily, anyway. Wangblows and homOSeX get money out of their market share and they can divert that cashflow to development, what will Canonical fucking do? Their whole fucking business model is that the software is gratis but technical support costs money. The only thing that will change if some linux OS gets widespread adoption is an inundation of normies whining that xorg crashed or some shit

Windows is committing suicide as we speak. But Linux is nowhere near where it needs to be for normie adoption, and Mac is too expensive.

This is the way it's gonna play out. Google is going to unveil a new Linux-like operating system (if it wasn't the one they just dropped), whether proprietary or non, and it will effectively replace Windows as the dominant OS. However, it will probably have considerable web tie-ins and be full of spyware shit. We'll see whether you can remove any of it.

Hopefully it's not just a Linux upgrade, in a perfect world they would implement the three safeties (joeduffyblog.com/2015/11/03/a-tale-of-three-safeties/). But this doesn't seem to fit into their business model; they might not devote the resources and research needed to pull it off.

Please add Microsoft's IP blocks to your ban lists permanently, Sup Forums. Sup Forums is fucking sick and tired of these paid shills posting ALL THE FUCKING TIME.

>However, it will probably have considerable web tie-ins and be full of spyware shit.
Once Win10 has most of the Windows userbase I fail to see how this'll be any different. I guess the real questions are do I like Unix-likes enough and whether I trust Google more than Microsoft.

Yes, it's a question of PR. Google could easily make a more user-friendly product that is more subtle about how it monitors you. Most likely they'll add such features gradually or make some kind of killer app that relies on them, as they're doing with Grok or whatever it's called now. Honestly they would just need to prompt users to make a Google account; that gives them enough info already.

It's the driver performance that lets it down from what I've seen.

That's you opinion for me it's a superior OS which Windows can't compete

With you on all points except gaming. As soon as the drivers and support are out there I'll be fucking windows off for good.

>i've used linux for 5 minutes and i know enough about it to know i hate it

are you 4?

>alot of video game consoles run it
Pathetic. Are you unaware that PC gaming is master race?

>MIDI composition
now you got me. laughing so hard. Even if this is true and even if this means hard work, just don't pose with it. Don't brag about making midi's dude.

Breh, look at Gnome.

And just you wait until Wayland gets into the thick of things. Watch out OS X!!

Windows
Find-Package xFireFox | Install-Package