I know this is said a lot as a troll question but I'm legitimately wondering -- is there anyway I can run Linux and...

I know this is said a lot as a troll question but I'm legitimately wondering -- is there anyway I can run Linux and still play my windows games other than dual booting?

I tried i3-gaps and jesus I can't go back to Windows. It's so convenient, amongst other things linux offers. The only thing is my games as I do play a lot of vidya. What do I do, Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF
bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768
youtube.com/watch?v=Tq345_v2-Ew
youtube.com/watch?v=g_w49u5paLQ
fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers
access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/form-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Para_virtualized_drivers-Mounting_the_image_with_virt_manager.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

gpu passthrough

Move on! PC's are useless and you're more valuable than that. Who cares what other people think? No one is superior no matter how much tools you have for your PC fuck computers.

>gpu passthrough
explain more? sorry i'm new to this shit desu

www.gentoo4windows.org/download/g4win.exe

>>>/wine/

Everyone repeats this, but I'm convinced it's some sort of mythical beast that only one person in history ever got working.

bufferoverflow.io/gpu-passthrough/

Build a second machine for gaming

>>>>/wine/
not a lot of shit works with wine i heard

performance loss?

It's not that hard senpai.

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PCI_passthrough_via_OVMF

bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=162768

Near native
youtube.com/watch?v=Tq345_v2-Ew

Wine is hit or miss. It either works great with a game, or just doesn't work. If you like some specific older games, you might get lucky. If you're keeping up with new AAA releases, you probably won't be so lucky.

The thing about it is that I believe in order to maintain any sort of back and forth functionality, you need two cards, and one of the following: 1 monitor with a switch connector, monitor with dual ports, or two monitors. I thought I Could wing it with a nvidia card and AMD card, but looks like Linux can't make the two cards play nicely together unless you are using the passthrough.

Nope, me and my friends run some modern games on linux but its hit or miss and takes too much effort per game, or runs slower, or blegh.

Instead its way more practical to run linux on a second cheap/underpowered machine and remote desktop into it from windows. This is the ideal division of labor - let superior windows drivers do their thing on your beef rig, and connect that to your superior UX found on linux. Linux uses way less resources anyways so its as nimble on smaller compute as windows is on a modern machine. The only time this doesn't work is if you are doing a lot of compiling on linux, in which case you probably aren't NEET and can afford two premium rigs.

youtube.com/watch?v=g_w49u5paLQ

Note - it probably works if your mobo has a VGA out or something too, but mine doesn't sadly.

oh wait, so does gpu passthrough need two gpu's or something?

no

You need to take a stance that if you can't run a game in GNU in some way or the other, it's not worth running. Honestly, 99% of modern games aren't worth playing; they're story-heavy garbage and/or have poor gameplay (almost always both). This isn't just sour grapes, because I wouldn't play this garbage if I did have Windows installed, and I don't even want a console because console gaming is filled to the fucking brim with that crap.

There are tons of GNU native games, tons of emulatable stuff, and tons of games that run perfectly or very nearly so in Wine. So why do you need Windows?

You don't.

And the GPU passthrough crap is basically you installing Windows. Don't bother. Don't let Microsoft control your computer and your life.

Be free.

>Everyone repeats this, but I'm convinced it's some sort of mythical beast that only one person in history ever got working.
my brother got it working and so did wendell on tek syndicate

if you want to also play games on the host then it's basically required, otherwise I think you have to reboot and/or switch cables around to get the discrete gpu working on the host again

Is this pasta?

>Who cares what other people think?
He's literally only worried about his own thoughts here. He prefers GNU/Linux but doesn't want to abandon his video games.

Very well said.

/thread

Practically all non-server CPUs have a builtin GPU, which is fine for this purpose.

Get intel cpu with vt-d. Install your favourite type 1 hypervisor. Get a monitor with 2 input or just get 2 monitors. Give your windows install your GPU and your linux your iGPU.

Works about 90-95% native fps. Also get like 6 cores so that you have 4 for your windows and 2 for linux to play dwarf fortress or shit

Thanks guys, I didn't know it was an option or anything. Now that I know I may be able to finally switch over to Linux!

How do you guys feel about that run linux on a second machine/remote in option?

Also does X11 forwarding to something similar, would it be better, etc?

Also what about Bash on Ubuntu on Windows or whatever?

virtualize and ssh

explain?

>You don't have to find a solution to your problem; you just have to change what you want

>I don't want to play the games you want to play, so you don't either

I'm all for software that respects your freedoms and all that. I'm just pointing out that this doesn't help OP at all. Using illogical arguments will drive people away rather than convert them to the cause.

Thanks, user. I honestly don't want to miss out on my games, regardless of what other people think -- I really enjoy playing them with my girlfriend and they give me good break from life.

I do want that superior UX though, haha.

Can you use integrated GPU as the second one with passthrough?

I was able to play TF2 without any problems by installing Steam through Wine (on Arch). I'm pretty sure you can play any game this way.

>I was able to play TF2 without any problems by installing Steam through Wine (on Arch). I'm pretty sure you can play any game this way.

Some games are compatible some aren't apparently.

Wine is hit or miss, some programs work perfectly while others won't even start.

much like virginity, a successful gpu passthrough is now a rite of passage, you can only say you're a true gamer and technologically savvy if you can do it

you can't say you're a man until you've done it once

are you spoon-fed your games? you probably also believe all music these days is le crap

So how does a 6700k do with vm and gpu passthrough? Will a 6800k perform better for games?
Has somebody done benchmarkings with gpu passthrough?

Does anybody have a good guide/readup for GPU passthrough? I'm interested in giving it a shot. What exactly would I need?

Run Windows then run Linux in VMware exclusive mode.
Problem solved

Yes, but you'll need to patch the kernel.

Isn't vmware paid?

So? If you can afford video games you can afford VMware

>afford games

performance on VMware?

Steal it
t
e
a
l

i
t

For desktop Linux usage you'll never notice any performance difference unless you have a true poorfag build

i guess i could do that instead of gpu passthrough

i have a 5820k, will watching vidyas etc be fine?

Yes should be no problem

I did a GPU passtrough with an i5 3570, I play GTA V and Witcher 3 fluent.
But as soon as I finished the Witcher I will move to Linux gaming only, not even wine

You need a CPU and mainboard which supports Vt-d

I watch 1080p Videos with internal grapics. You can give the internal graphics a bit of your RAM

on VMware or do you mean in regards to gpu passthrough

nice font, cunt

It's a bit easier to set it up with a 6800k because it has ACS support, but both should work well.

H Y P E R - V
Y
P
E
R
-
V

is it better than vmware?

Oops i mean GPU Passtrough. But if you want to do this the Linux way at least use Proxmox or Qubes OS

I'm not sure about vmware, but it sure as fuck is better than virtualbox by a lot.

>Proxmox, Cubes OS
what are these

memes, use Arch/Debian/Gentoo/Fedora

Proxmox is a Debian Hypervisor with nice GUI and Qubes OS is a desktop OS made for virtualisation

Last I checked, you could do X11 forwarding on windows if you do something involving cygwin on windows. I haven't tried it, but its something I barely remember looking up.

Manipulate the host/guest from the guest/host using ssh, a remote terminal

I heard if you use cygwin you end up having to recompile/modify a lot of stuff. I don't think I'm tech savvy enough,

Just do a GPU Passtrough and you'll be fine

it triggers me that its i3-gaps and not superior vanilla i3

And do it with QEMU

This is the fucking stupidest thing I've ever heard.

>0,50$s have been transferred to your poo2luunix account

What distro do you use? I think if you use a hypervisor you geht problems with fullscreen applications vor may need 3 monitors and or gpus if you want your favourite distro and Window$

QEMU?

I was messing with Arch.

Look up qemu in arch wiki. You also could use Antergos to geht familiar. I use Antergos as my Main OS for over 2 years, never looked back

Arch based Distros are like made for GPU Passtrough, thats good

GPU passthrough with qemu is the way to go, if your hardware supports it

I've been using this for more than 1.5 years now with no real problems to run my farmbots in a VM (to make a little extra cash)

The first time you set it up it's a little confusing if you're not very familiar with some of the lowlvl linux features, but the second time I set it up [after a hard drive fail] it was done and running within about 30 minutes.
The guide on arch wiki and the forums are really detailed and the thread has tons of info too.

pic related

if you're ok with only having integrated graphics (for example, you're on a laptop) and your cpu supports gvt-g you might want to try to set that up
I couldnt get it to work though, my gvt-g kernel somehow couldnt boot

>farmbots in a VM (to make a little extra cash)
Why not a clientless bot?
Are you not hardcore enough user?

I passend trough a USB pcie card and use a USB and DVI switch the possibilities are nearly unlimited

Uh, it's not hard. If your hardware supports it, all you need to do is stop the OS/driver from grabbing the card at boot with either pci-stub or vfio, and then you could just use virt-manager to pass your card to your VM.

what's a farmbot?

I see, so basically I would run Windows on a VM and it would use my GPU in the VM. Is there input lag, etc?

Then mount this ISO in Windows fedoraproject.org/wiki/Windows_Virtio_Drivers follow this access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide/form-Virtualization_Host_Configuration_and_Guest_Installation_Guide-Para_virtualized_drivers-Mounting_the_image_with_virt_manager.html

Ony problem I noticed is with audio but therefore you could use an USB audio Adapter for less than 10€

never heard of bots in mmos?

The only thing I had a problem with was mouse input delays/stuttering in some games, but I think it's just me since I can't find anything at all on google about this.

oh that's what you meant, sorry i'm fucking tired right now

andddd i just realized my issue with doing this.

i have an audio interface, scarlet 2i2 and a amp/dac

i don't think the amp/dac would cause issues but i don't think my audio interface has drivers for linux rip

I've had a take in writing a custom client as I'm quite versed in the game's protocol by now due to the many hours I've wasted on it. I got beyond the authentication steps but ran into too many problems in the follow up that made me decide that getting it to work would require too many workhours to make it worthwhile.
The game I'm botting is pretty small so that the amount of valuables I can sell to chinese resale websites is too much of a niche to scale up much larger.

There's no input lag that I can notice as I passthrough my mouse and keyboard to the VM, then use Synergy to make them available to my arch host system. I can also broadcast 24bit audio to my host system just fine with no humanly noticeable lag.

You can then also write several launch scripts for qemu with different quantities for CPU cores and RAM used which makes it pretty convenient. So when I want to try an AAA game [which happens very rarely], I supply the VM with 12GB of my machines RAM and 6 cores, and if I need more performance on my host I can cut this down by launching the other script.

Where do you live OP? Since I will go full Linux I could sell you my DVI and USB Switches and my USB 3.0 Card if you want to. I could also support you with your Passtrough. I have the tutorials and startscript etc. Btw. I live in Germany

I just used the VNC audio method, this obviously requires you to have a SPICE window open on the host.

Something like, edit /etc/default/libvirt-bin
vnc_allow_host_audio = 1
qemu_audio_drv = alsa

tadah, 'shared audio'

Is the audio device connected with pcie or USB or onboard?

Has someone tried gpu passtrought with unraid or similars?

if your asking about my audio interface, usb

It's a awsome discussion but I have to shower, I smell like shit and I'm going to sell something soon, I'll join later. OP pass through your audio device and use it in Windows if it desn't work with Linux. Use onboard sound or buy a USB Adapter which works with Linux, bye

LTT did this :^)

Now I smell like a human beeing again :D OP you want to post your tox ID here for further support?

With an SSD and any remotely modern system it takes less than 30 seconds to switch OS. Way less hassle than any of the other methods.

Dual boot is the way to go unless you're too impatient to wait less than a minute to start a gaming session.

Dualbooting would never be an option for me

nice troll, I rate 7/10
almost believed you

Same for me.
Enough Steam games are on Linux now that I'll never have to Windows again.

Famalam, tf2 and all other valve games run better in native Linux (no wine)

Just play games that are available for GNU.
Good games include:
* XCOM
* XCOM 2
* Europa Universalis
* Civilization V (with addons)
* Civilization BE
* Papers Please
* Life is Strange

More than enough to waste a year with.

We're talking about a demographic that routinely pays for broken on release products before they're even released.