First smartphone

Sup Sup Forums I'm 23yo and just got my first smartphone ever, it's a cheap android one but I'd like to know if you guys have any tips/advice about configuring it.

I will mainly use it to go on Sup Forums and listen to music .

All your help is welcome.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=YXpwzeYFfEc)
mywot.com/en/scorecard/oneclickroot.com)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Disable as much auto-update, auto-sync and apps trying to run in the background constantly or your battery life will suck.

Is it safe to set my professional gmail as default profile considering I'll be browsing non-sfw boards?

Any good apps I shouldn't missout.

root it and flash a custom rom on it.

I have a vague idea of how to root it but I do not understand what's with flashing a custom rom?

Realistically speaking, unless your phone is some kind of a cheap Chinese bloatware crap, there's not much point in flashing custom roms. Rooting can provide significant benefits though.

Could someone please tell me what is the most efficient way (app?) to root the my system safely?

Depends on android version.
Also:
Clover (to browse Sup Forums, download it from F-Droid)
Vanilla Music (music player, also from F-Droid)

Basically this.

Also get Nova launcher or something and rice it.

I have F-droid and clover installed thanks a lot!
For the music I am using Pulsar, is Vanilla music better?

I have looked up to perform a rooting but it looks really complicate for my phone, it's a Wiko Lenny 3 ( Android )

>(OP)
>So what's the phone OP?

It's a Wiko Lenny 3, really nothing fancy because I'm very new at handling these things.

Go to XDA and look up your phone name.
There should be guides under the general category for rooting and flashing a ROM for your phone.
If your phone has an unlockable bootloader, I recommend unlocking it and flashing a custom recovery (TWRP) either through fastboot or Odin or other flashing tools, depending on your phone. Here you can root it by flashing SuperSU or by installing a custom ROM.

If someone maintains a custom ROM and you dislike the stock ROM, i recommend flashing the custom ROM of your choice along with gApps.

I deleted my post for a reason :(

I don't really thing that a cheap chinkphone like the one OP has would have ROM support, since it probably has a Mediatek chipset. It should be possible to gain root, though.

I have looked up on XDA and I couldn't find anything for this model ( Wiko Lenny 3 )

Rooting the phone is doable, I watched some tutorials but it looks really long and complex to achieve.

Custom built version is LENNY3 Marshmallow 6.0 (39)

Hello Sup Forums I'm a total noob when it comes to smartphones and I have a question. I want to root my Alcatel OneTouch 5020T and flash the Cyanogen rom. I found multiple tutorial online to root it, the first google result was this:
(youtube.com/watch?v=YXpwzeYFfEc)

Then I heard of OneClickRoot.com but the reviews are not in their favor:
(mywot.com/en/scorecard/oneclickroot.com)

I just wanted to know what would be the greatest way to flash Cyanogen to my device.

All the advice in this thread is about ricing fucking hell.

Model Number : Alcatel One Touch 5020T
Firmware version: 4.1.1
Kernel Version 3.4.0
Build Number: Jelly Bean

Things you will regret not doing:
root
flash aosp cyanogen or something else
busybox
xposed
f-droid
some type of flash recovery like TWRP
that xposed app that lets you choose which app permissions to allow (forget the name)

strongly suggested:
orbot (tor)
firefox ( because of the add-ons and configurable with tor)
superSU - for root privileges
k-9 mail -email

optional:
TUI launcher (terminal based launcher which you can use to launch apps craft intents and everything) - f-droid
vanilla music player - f-droid
overchan (for browsing all the chans) - f-droid.

no

oh yea,~osmand (f-droid) has a huge learning curve but is the best map app available and you can use tor with it

Anyway to change the song and volume on my phone without taking it out of my pocket? Would I need some sort of special earphones that have a skip track feature button on it?

Volume should be adjustable with the volume +/- buttons. Song skipping depends on your music player i think but usually pressing the hardware button of your earphones should skip to the next song. If you don't have such a hardware button you can make macros with some apps like Tasker and Macros (not sure if that's the name for the second one).

*pressing the hardware button twice

Thank you for this exhaustive list, I'm afraid I won't be able to root my smartphone.
I didn't find anything for my model on XDA.
If anyone find a guide to root LENNY3 Marshmallow 6.0 (39) please let me know.
Beside that I'll probably install everything else you mentioned.

Can I remove/uninstall the default launcher to replace it with Nova?
I don't want to clog my phone with fancy apps, it will consume a lot with the default app running in the background.

If you get root, yes you can remove system apps like the stock launcher. Otherwise, there's the option to disable the app and enable it again if you ever need it.

I don't think storage is an issue, I'm using a 64Gb micro sd so I don't really mind keeping default application stored somewhere.
If I can disable and hide all the useless apps I think I will be sufficiently satisfied.