What modern technologies would be like if Bill Gates wasn't born at all?

what modern technologies would be like if Bill Gates wasn't born at all?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_project
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

PCs would cost $7000

go fuck yourself edgelord

PCs would be much cheaper

I would unironically ride this. Without the dick sucking thing, though..

kek

We probably wouldn't be plagued with x86

Microsoft has invested and was the main software developer for apple for a while. So I doubt it would be an apple?

>plagued with x86

Considering MS had to bail applel out of bankruptcy I doubt they would even exist today.

>PowerPC is the only other architecture

as ridiculous as it sounds, Gates was like Stallman of his day. he separated software from machine so that everyone could run it. it standardized PC in way IBM could only imagine.

and like GPL did to software, Microsot stifled all progress in hardware thanks to that uniformity. and cursed mankind. what we got was uPnP which back in the day barely worked. it is now ubiquitous layer between hardware and system, baked straight into hardware, only for sake of Windows.it strangles a lot of hardware potential.

Apple was last stand but pc'ified their shit as well and is now facing certain decline from freedom PPC gave them.

Possible the owner or then owner of 86-DOS (base of PC/MS-DOS) or other CP/M clone would be responsible for the popularity of IBM. The replacement of the other software versions (like windows 3+) is less guessable; but the Xerox PARC would still be there as inspiration. It was the business model behind the software that lead to the success of Bill Gates, in short software "Independence" of hardware

Computers would all be connected to suicide machines because nobody wants to live in a world without windows and Skype.

We would be using a Japanese OS.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TRON_project

it is possible it wouldn't exist at all; The economic affect on IBM of not using MS/PC-DOS could be enormous

Damn. We would have had a kawaii mascot too.

>TRON was once killed by the former Minister of International Trade and Industry, Hashimoto, because he was at that time under the pressure of United States."[11] This story is supported by an article on the TRON project website,[12] citing Microsoft's lobbying against it.

Fucking amerifats.

Computer market would be dominated by IBM.

>Even my mom would be using Debian.

>pic related

beats dealing with windows updates

DR DOS -> MS-DOS
OS2 -> MS-Windows

But you'd have the dildo up your ass though?
Suspect

Yeah, because applel is known for being a bargain

>nobody wants to live in a world without windows and Skype.
Wow.

> (OP)
>as ridiculous as it sounds, Gates was like Stallman of his day.
>his day
Moron. They're from the same day since they're only 3 years apart
>he separated software from machine so that everyone could run it. it standardized PC in way IBM could only imagine.
>and like GPL did to software, Microsot stifled all progress in hardware thanks to that uniformity. and cursed mankind. what we got was uPnP which back in the day barely worked. it is now ubiquitous layer between hardware and system, baked straight into hardware, only for sake of Windows.it strangles a lot of hardware potential.
>Apple was last stand but pc'ified their shit as well and is now facing certain decline from freedom PPC gave them.

holy fuck i cant be bothered to reply to the rest of your retardation

More freedom.

I would never hire you for text editing of any sort.

Less Zika

No one wanted to live before 1985?

would

Me too

We would all be using Amigas as main computers.

>Microsot stifled all progress in hardware thanks to that uniformity. and cursed mankind. what we got was uPnP which back in the day barely worked. it is now ubiquitous layer between hardware and system, baked straight into hardware, only for sake of Windows.it strangles a lot of hardware potential.

Hardware manufacturers are always trying to force their own proprietary standards. Microsoft cuts through them.

BASIC would not have been the default shell language if MS didnt push it so much

Graphical Interfaces would have happened a lot sooner if MSDOS didnt hold everyone back in the console for so long, Macintosh and Amiga would have been a lot bigger. The Atari ST with Gary Kildall's graphical OS would have become significant.

If Bill didn't become the most known billionaire in the world, popular culture wouldn't be all about geeks and nerds; star wars and comic books and all that shit associated with geekism and nerdism wouldn't be the dominant culture. Instead it would be like home design if Steve Jobs became the most reknowned. Home decor, car style, fashion, etc.

I'm OK with this.

He wouldn't have been around to steal DOS and shill the shit out of it. As a result the market would have been much stronger for the Amiga and Acorn systems. Amiga would have gotten the lead of the two due to superior gaming experiences, but Acorn would have retained enough market share to survive long enough for ARM processors to have still been viable as smaller form factor desktop systems. Cooling efficiency technologies would have accelerated and caused laptops to thrive, ultimately dooming the desktop system in the vast majority of circumstances.

So essentially without Bill Gates computer tech would be more efficient, much smaller, MUCH cooler (as in temperature), as a result more mobile, but also not quite as powerful as today's systems.

Source: My thesis

Plan 9 would have a market to penetrate into

Doubly so if GNU never existed and linux had to use a port of BSD's userland

And X68000, FM Towns, PC-98 would be still alive.

Power and Sparc finally come to PC mass market.