/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previously on: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine using VirtualBox or other software made for this puporse for safety purposes.
1) Use the Live ISO (if your distribution of choice has one) to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything, that way, you can get to experience the GNU/Linux operating system without installing it.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS, this is recommended if you want to know more about the GNU/Linux operating system.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Meet the /fglt/ team:

IRC: irc://chat.freenode.net:6667/flt (6697 for SSL)
If you don't have an IRC client, you can use a web client:
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=flt
kiwiirc.com/client/irc.freenode.net/flt
WEB: fglt.nl/

* Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (searx, ixquick, startpage, whatever.)
$ man
wiki.archlinux.org (Most troubleshoots work on all distros.)
wiki.gentoo.org (Please see comment above.)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
gnu.org

Friends:
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Games
- /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos

Copypasta:
ghostbin.com/paste/gxcnp

Install gentoo

ITS LINUX NOT "GNU" LINUX

RMS INVENTED THE DISTINCTION BETWEEN "KERNEL" AND "OPERATING SYSTEM"
HISTORICALLY, NO UNIX OR UNIX-BASED OR NON-UNIX-BASED SYSTEM SEPARATED THE KERNEL FROM THE OS
BOTH LINUX AND GNU SOFTWARE WERE CREATED/RELEASED UNDER FREE/COPYLEFT LICENSES
IT WOULD BE AS CORRECT TO SAY THAT THE LINUX OS "MAKES USE" OF THE FREELY AVAILABLE GNU UTILITIES AS IT WOULD BE TO SAY THAT THE GNU OS "MAKES USE" OF THE FREELY AVAILABLE LINUX KERNEL, EXCEPT AS NOTED ABOVE, FOR VIRTUALLY ALL OF COMPUTING HISTORY, KERNEL == OS
FURTHERMORE THE GNU OS ALREADY HAS A KERNEL CALLED "HURD". THEY'VE BEEN TRYING TO MAKE IT WORK FOR DECADES.
IT WOULD BE MOST CORRECT TO SAY THAT EACH DISTRIBUTION COMBINES FREE (AND SOMETIMES NON-FREE) COMPONENTS INTO A COMPLETE OPERATING SYSTEM AND THEN CALLS IT WHATEVER IT WANTS TO. SOME CHOOSE TO CALL THEMSELVES GNU/LINUX. OTHERS CHOOSE TO CALL THEMSELVES LINUX. THE FREEDOM OF SELF-DETERMINATION RESTS WITH THE CREATOR(S) OF THE FINAL DISTRIBUTION
RMS IS A FASCIST WHO WANTS TO RESTRICT OTHER PEOPLE'S FREEDOMS FOR HIS OWN AUTISTIC SELF-SERVING EGO

see

Why would I use a DE?

I asked this in the last thread and no one responded

Is brainfuck scheduler actually worth it or just a meme?

RMS is basically a homeless loser who hasn't made any real contributions in the last 20 years. He is still super butthurt that Linux beet HURD (but hey, HURD just got basic sound support in 2016!) and basically tries to claim Linux because Linus used GCC and the GNU coreutils. He survives on the charity of others and speaking engagements where he spouts his insane, paranoid, philosophy. Basically he won't be happy until all the programmers are homeless hackers like him and all the companies are shut down. How people are supposed to support themselves and their families in that scenario aren't things he has to deal with because he is basically a permanent grad student. He does make some good points about privacy, but for him, there is no middle ground. Anything that may reduce your privacy even the slightest bit (like movie recommendations on Netflix) is evil according to him, and must be destroyed. In a lot of ways he show classic signs of mental splitting, which is a classic symptom of mental illness. To top it off, when he does write code, he does so in the style of the awful GNU style guide which is a crime against humanity IMHO.

So, in a nutshell:
He's a bird-fucking, self-absorbed, power hungry, toe jam eating pedophile that thinks everything should be free and everyone should be forced to share, who looks like he hasn't showered in years so as to create a static shield around his body to protect from aliens. He also created an OS without a kernel because he's basically Steve Jobs gone communist. Oh, and he calls himself doctor though he holds no PhD.

This website is 18+.

Void

Exherbo

Funtoo

Devuan

These are the /fglt/ approved distributions.

Because you want everything work and feel fine with each other, because you don't want to spend too much time on changing things, because you don't know which exact programs are your favorites yet and search for a platform to build from...
t. dwm user.

According to whom?
Some people might actually like or want to use systemd, by choosing something for people over their heads makes you just as bad as poettering.

If you insist on systemd then Debian and Gentoo are accepted alternatives.

>Some people might actually like or want to use systemd

But why though?

So you can have 'socket activation' lololololol

I agree that those are good, but the idea of fglt approved anything or "best" anything kinda grinds my gears

It helps for two reasons.

1. People stop asking for recommendations (we can decide on what the best noob distro is for complete beginners)

2. We can fight against the Arch Linux nonsense that is really starting to pick up momentum.

Trying to setup unbound+dnscrypt
When i start unboun and dnscrypt, there are no errors.Using dig via terminal works. However when ever i use any browser it cannot resolve anything.
Both /etc/resolv and /etc/resolvconf are set to 127.0.0.1

>implying gentoo is not both approved and the best distro
Fuck off normie shitbird.

>nonsense
It is freetards who have a vm of arch setup, and shit post from it.notice all of their uptimes are under 30m.
Actual arch users arent like this.
Proof.
Last 3 threads there was no arch shitposting, and multiple people asking arch specific issues were solved

It increases response over performance, however the performance "loss" is not noticeable.

>excusing the shit behavior of Arch users
Why?

pacman issues
makepkg issues
pkgbuild help

>Last 3 threads there was no arch shitposting

There was some idiot in the last thread talking about how much more powerful pacman is over dpkg.

You don't need to remind us of reasons why Arch is a terrible distro, we're all well aware.

So people rather come out of the shadows and shit on a distro, then actually help people.

Grade A

Basically, /fglt/ is people shitting on arch and archfags sperging over it.

Arch and it's users have more than earned all the hate they get. Use a real distro like an adult so you don't have to carry water for them.

People taking it too serious. It's just what happens when there are no newcomers asking questions or other interesting topics. When fglt get's bored it starts meming.

Let me guess, you use slackware?

The meming gets way out of hand at times. I particularly dislike when Ubuntu is bagged on so much because it's great for newbs.

Having said that, I find Arch and it's community to be one of the most cancerous things in the world, so there's really no amount of anti-arch meming that goes too far imho.

/r/equesting Void experiences

From what the website tells, it seems to be the solution to all problems.

>le slackware is old and outdated meme

Your attitude fits someone who would use slackware

Gentoo > Slackware > Everything Else > BSD > OSX > Windows > Getting fucked with a pineapple > Arch

Found the archfag, guys.

Bag it and tag it. It needs to fuck off back to the wild.

>le

literally how new are you?

You should go home.

And your attitude matches that of someone who doesnt know shit about slackware, aka an arch user

>check op
>archlinux listed as top resource link

Slackfags on suicide watch

I tried slack bout 15 years ago, it was shit

Is anyone familiar with setting up dhcpcd when installing arch linux. Basically I fucked it up slightly...

First I entered the command.

Systemctl enable [email protected]

Thinking I had to type that literally instead of replacing interface with the correct one. I tried eth0 but that was not the correct one.

Tl;Dr

I need to stop dhcpcd service from attempting to enable on none existing interfaces.

Correct interface is named enp3s0 and I enabled it manually using # dhcpcd enp3s0

systemctl enable [email protected]

Arch users are like Americans.

They're convinced they have choice when it reality they only have the illusion of choice.

Arch users (Americans) always say that Arch (America) is for customizability (freedom) when quite a few distros (countries) offer (have) it, too.

Arch users have no control over their devs (politicians)

When someone starts complaining that Arch actually doesn't offer much choice they (Americans) tell you "if you don't like it you can switch distros (giiiiiiiiiit out)"

Yes I have done that, but I'm now wanting to reverse any mistakes I previously made. Is there a config file somewhere which I can manually edit in vi?

Basically I need to check to see whether everything setup correctly before proceeding to install the rest of the system.

just do 'systemctl disable' on whatever you enabled previously

nope, last time I checked, we defiantly have more freedom than other countries. Every country has their advantages and disadvantages but we're pretty free even when compared to Europe.

I have a new HP notebook computer, with AMD drivers.

i tried install Xubuntu 16.04, 15.04, but it freezes constantly, even with newer linux kernels.

When i try to upgrade the kernel to even newer versions, it says "missing firmare ..."

I'm thinking about install Arch linux, with Arch Linux Architect.

what do you guys think?

>defiantly

spell check your shit, bro. I can't stand that typo, along with "that" when people meant to type "than".

The list of freedoms we have shrinks every fucking year, though. At least Europe has somewhat fair elections. The choices we have are

>which fast food restaurant should we do tonight
>Baskin Robbins
>iPhone or Samsung

There's no real choice here. Last time I checked Social Security and Health Insurance are forced upon us by our overlords along with other stupid taxes.

We get guns. That's about it. Arch gets the AUR.

Aha... lol I'm fucking retarded of course, thx.

Not him, but...
Slackware is pretty decent

Go to germany and scream sieg heil in a public place
Go to germany and stand at salute with your right hand fully extended
Go to russia and admit to being anything but straight in a public place
Go to russia and say anything dissenting in a public place
etc etc

You have no control of the highway system(or what ever you eurocucks want to call it), yet you use it all day
Every distro is a platform you build upon.

Fedora/Gentoo/Debian/Ubuntu/Arch, all give you a basic platform to build upon.

go to /etc/systemd/system/multi-user-.target.wants
and find the dhcp service with the wrong interface

How do I make compton not draw shadows on tint2 and firefox? I already tried:
shadow-exclude = [
"class_g = 'firefox'",
"class_g = 'tint2'"
];

And why the hate? Slack is the least boasting distro out there. My opinion anyway

No country is totally free. Not even ours. That's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing that Americans actually believe they're one of the few free countries when that's simply not the case anymore.

Go say "fuck niggers" in a predominantly black area.
Go smoke a joint in public

We can play this game all day. No country is perfect but America isn't as free as Americans think.

Hi
I installed ubuntu on a MacBook pro but I'm having problems with the lid
Once is closed the screen never turns back on also I can't change the cmd key to be as the cntrl key
Any ideas ?

>spellcheck
You're brain couldnt red wat he say an unaastan it?
Hu did u red it an unnastan it 2 tiepe a sponse?

America is like Slackware, objectively the best choice despite obvious flaws.

>living in a place that's predominantly niggers
>smoking the herbal jew
Nothing a red-blooded American would do.

Install Gentoo.

nah, Americans are definitely Arch users. They don't shut the fuck up about freedom and choice, respectively, despite being misinformed about other countries and distros, respectively.

Try ubuntu
Why are u using xubuntu? That shot is for old hardware isn't it?
Also from my experience ubuntu is the one that comes with more hardware support.

>check your shit bro
right, bad habit.

>The list of freedoms we have shrinks every fucking year
welcome to the 12st century

>At least Europe has somewhat fair elections
yea, you're right. It's a shame the whiny little SJWs are actively trying to take away their freedoms using this system.

>There's no real choice here. Last time I checked Social Security and Health Insurance are forced upon us by our overlords
Europe too, plus picture>stupid taxes
Have you ever bought anything in Europe? More specifically beer?

this simile is generally wrong. The US definitely has more freedom than many other countries.

>paying taxes 2016
Lol but seriously the struggle is real in america

What's my root password?

I forgot.

Or even drinking alcohol in public.

I can do that in every Asian country I've been to but I can't do that or be drunk in public in this """""free""""" country

>mfw there has been arch shilling this entire thread.

I can admit this, i use slack and am american. Both could use some big improvements

Not shutting the fuck up about freedom = libre you stupid cunt. Arch isn't libre.
>misinformed
Literally every european media outlet runs propaganda all day every day. I say this as a German.

>tfw I don't use arch but I shill for it and act like a fool to make arch users look like asshats

I'm not talking about freedom in Linux distributions. I'm drawing parallels between two dissimilar groups of people.

One yaps about one thing, the other yaps about another.

i'm using xubuntu because it doesn't have unity, and i like xfce (less bloated too).

Xubuntu 16.04 in the beginning was fine, then after a while it started freezing, and only a cold reset would get you out of there.

if you google this problem lots of people have it, so i don't quite know what to do

>They don't shut the fuck up

>he thinks you can't drink in public in America
Where did this meme come from? I live in Louisiana and we drink outside all the fucking time. Unless you're doing it outside a preschool, or acting like a violent nog, you're not going to get arrested.

It's illegal bro. I would definitely get arrested for drinking in public in Indiana.

Well, as a German, I think Arch users represent Afghani migrants because they seem to constantly rape innocent threads for no reason and then claim they were having an emergency of some sort. In reality they're just adolescent pricks who need to get the hell out.

You pol bitching about distros, use which ever fits your fucking needs and stfu you stupid fucks.

Arch is bad
RMS is a philosophical master
I regularly contribute bugs or other patches to software developers.
I exercise 4 hours daily.
I only eat organic products from farms that only use open sourced software,and public domain blueprints

May I get some help?

Brown paper bag, problem solved

>Arch is bad
True
>RMS is a philosophical master
False
>I regularly contribute bugs
False
>I exercise 4 hours daily
False
>I only eat organic products
False

>May I get some help?
No

My fucking sides.

Your unbound conf?

server:
interface: 127.0.0.1
username: "unbound"
directory: "/etc/unbound"
trust-anchor-file: trusted-key.key
root-hints: "/etc/unbound/root.hints"
do-not-query-localhost: no
forward-zone:
name: "."
forward-addr: 127.0.0.1@40

How do you say "you're country is fucked" in German. I just use the short version which is Angela Merkel.

Slackware loves simplicity and hates being overly complicated, just like donald trump.

What about your unbound logs?
Compare dig vs system resolver results.

Make Linux Great Again

Die Dame übernimmt die Rechnung

>The lady accepts the bill

>this thread

Btw are you sure nothing is overwriting your resolv.conf?

I cant find any logs. via journalctl or in /var/log

i put it in resolvconf, that overwrites resolv. and it is generating it to namserver 127.0.0.1

11/10 it's ok

My sides

im using arch and i like until now, my problem is the next, pls help bois .
i tried to install the "leagueoflegends" package from aur with yaourt but the thing crashed when it was compiling, i dont care to make LoL work, but i want to delete the traces that yaourt left on the diks, per example on the "start menu" there is a league icon, how can i remove all related things to a corrupted/bad compiled package?

>im using arch
b8/8 m8

>i tried to install the "leagueoflegends" package
stopped reading right there.

[drm:intel_cpu_fifo_underrun_irq_handler [i915]]
*ERROR* CPU pipe A FIFO underrun

how do i fix this. i have thinkpad t440 running ubuntu.
im trying to install mint via the live cd.
however anytime i get past grub this happens.
i heard its got someting to do with the intel integrated graphics. but i have no idea how to ifx it.
secureboot is off and boot method is set to bios/legacy.
ive read this can be fixed with an intel microcode update but how in the name of fuck am i doing that on a live image from the usb drive.

>arch
>LeL

Please show yourself out of this thread.

Install Gentoo.