What do you visit thriftshops for?

What do you visit thriftshops for?
Hunting for rare or specific items? Also share rare finds

I hunt for rare or good deal mech keyboards / trackball mice / old /retro/ computer gear

Camera gear. Every few years you find a good lense.

I've never been to one, really wanna go though.
There's just nothing local enough

Bicycle parts

Jeans.

People get fat and donate nice jeans.

Anything of interest. Computers, peripherals, projectors, cameras, PMPs, consoles, records, radios, TVs, etc.

Don't fall for the thriftstore meme.
I've gone many times and all I've seen are shitty sport ps2 games and those terrible "romance" books

You do realize that what you find varies city to city and even store to store within the same city, right?

Clothes. I do like rich town Goodwills. You can pick up nice clothes with the tags still on them.

this, mainly. Every once in a while someone gives away some beautiful old primes because they think it's film so it must be worthless.

Some guy on /p/ found a $1,000 Leica for $20 at some small-town pawn shop once.

Thrift stores are odd.

Charge 1 dollar for a 100 dollar item.
Charge 100 dollars for a 1 dollar item.

Never know what you find tho, so I just go there for whatever. They mostly just have PS2 and Xbox games tho, and some consoles. Never found any computers or anything else that really tickles my fancy.

Lps and books mainly 5 euros get you the best music with a nice read

Found a cool toshiba like this one day. conplete with everything. they wanted almost nothing for it, but had no money with me. they didnt wanted to hold it back for me sadly

>Charge 1 dollar for a 100 dollar item.
>Charge 100 dollars for a 1 dollar item.
Rofl sad but funny truth

Yeah, ok

Not really related but where should I sell used GPUs ?

Stuff of interest, but half the time I see shit like this and it just boils my blood.

Like this guy said
>Charge 1 dollar for a 100 dollar item.
>Charge 100 dollars for a 1 dollar item.

Pic fucking related, charge $500 for a repo.

I usually go there for cheap cables and sometimes you can find some neat switches and other things.

Woah, looks like Android 18

I should watch dbz some day

Thift stores were probably much nicer in the early 2000s before the internet was as popular as it was now and the stores had no idea how rare/valuable their shit was.

Now thift stores can be nearly as expensive as regular retail stores.

Toriyama can only draw one female face

Found a Ti-84 that was in better condition than my current for $40. I didn't haggle or maybe I could have gotten it lower. That was my first time visiting a pawn shop. I'll probably go again to find similar things.

Whatever really

I got a mint gameboy with official hard case and n64 from seperate visits. I found one with some new wii stuff but i left it and a few days later saw some kid buying it

yeah most of em are pretty savvy now. when someone turns in gadgets or tech they look it up on ebay to see how much it goes for there, and price accordingly.

Watches

That's because hipsters inflate the price of old garbage, and it's the rare time when they look it up on ebay. Benefits you if you happen to catch a boomer owned thrift store, there's no guarantee of it being there but if you live in a big city, your chances go up of getting paid. I once found a razer deathadder in near perfect condition in a box of mice, everything else in there was PS/2, they obviously had no clue and slapped a $2 tag on it. Went for $30 instantly online. snes and n64 carts are starting to inflate in price, as well as gamecube games. It's the stupidest shit too, for example super smash bros melee, the most common game that you couldn't NOT find bundled with it almost for the first two launch years, is going for $50-80. Gamecube and PS2 are relatively excusable since depending on the game you need a quad core, but it's amazing to see the entire 9/10ths of the "retro" gaming crowd blissfully unaware of emulators and being able to download the entire set of roms in six seconds and then you see common snes carts going for hundreds of fucking dollars.

Found an audiophile CD player for $5. Haven't listed it on ebay yet.

I mostly just go for books and CD's. One time I found "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" on vinyl for three bucks - bought that immediately.

I always check for mechanical keyboards and telescope lenses.

Sadly where I live it's mostly mexicans and all the thrift shops are 80% clothes, and the other 20% is useless shit not worth even what the thrift shop wants for it.

I've found a few bargains over the years.
Amiga 500, box and all - $25
Radio Shack Pro-2006 scanner - $5
2 Zelda-gold DS-lites - $4 each
NAD vacuum-tube amplifier + preamp - $18
Marantz amp - $5
Sony PVM - $10
Dell Optiplex PC - $6 (needed a new HDD, but hey)
Wyse terminal - $10
And back in the 90s a friend and I found a cocktail table Galaxian clone for $25 because it was "broken-AS IS"... we put a new power cord on it and it worked fine.

I hang out behind a tree outside of one and throw tomatoes at hipsters walking out of 'em.

Sure thing kid

Don't.
Watch Dragon Ball Kai instead, its remastered and they cut out all the stupid filler shit like Goku Charging and screaming for 10 minutes straight with the same animation in a loop.

>Some guy on /p/ found a $1,000 Leica for $20 at some small-town pawn shop once.

Thanks for triggering me

Might go take a trip to it today, I'd really like to get the first Xbox and a GC for cheap, hopefully with some games.
LET THE HUNT: BEGIN.

Did I offend you?

$35 burgerbux. Not sure if it was a good price but looks cool enough so I got it

Not at all, I was just making fun of you for lying on an anonymous image board.

Why would I be lying?

>NAD vacuum-tube amplifier + preamp - $18
>Marantz amp - $5
Mad jelly

The prices of SNES karts are so ridiculous. Especially when SNES emulation is pretty much perfectly accurate nowadays. I could understand high prices from N64 carts since N64 emulation still has problems.

Do these hipsters even use their SNES consoles or do they just use them as decorations?

You don't leave the basement let alone hide behind trees near thrift shops.

>SNES emulation is pretty much perfectly accurate nowadays
Not even fucking close.
But honestly if you hadn't spent like 100+ hours on a game you wouldn't be able to tell.

Check out the damage.

snes, and especially n64 and gamecube emulation is not "accurate", it's "better". I don't want to emulate garbage 80s consumer hardware, this shit was qvga(?), supereagle and 1080p with opengl effects is better, only loser autist "game historians" disagree, the same kinds of shits who say that "the game actually runs at 20fps instead of 60" and the emulator can do it with the speed the same
>oh but this one japanese game that sold 50 copies doesn't work in emulators (nobody cares)

>do they use them as decorations
Much worse, head on over to /vr/ to see this happening with earthbound. It's basically a secret cool kid's club of earthbound cartridge owners, you don't need to own a snes, or have ever actually played it, because that would mean taking it out of the box. Paradoxically they insist that emulator isn't "the real thing", without ever having known because they haven't played it, because again, no snes.

>"shit that never happened for 1000"
it's not only real but they shit on actual earthbound players who don't have a SEALED IN BOX CART (because they opened theirs and played it), they have inherited someone else's nostalgia and are living in this alternate reality where they are remembering how cool it was, but haven't ever played it. I swear, you could literally have a green plastic card in the cartridge and sell it for thousands, they have no way to test or know because they don't own the console and have each other's heads fifteen miles up each other's asses

>not close
>can't tell the difference if you aren't an aspie

hmm

If you ever get good enough at a game the difference isn't marginal.

It makes it impossible to beat certain things like Super Mario Kart when you are doing the expert mode ghost shit.

The only group who actually plays, and finishes old games are emulator users.

hardwarefag
>drops 1,000+ on collection of common games and MUH ORIGINAL console, all inflated due to retarded hipsters, trips over all the stupid shit of days past, no save states for old nes games, never makes it past a power outage, too stupid to get a battery backup, too busy calling himself "hardcore" or "game historian", too busy trying to stream to be exhibitionist and can't figure it out

special game earthbound tier fag
>drops 700+ on WORKING REAL GENUINE CART, never plays or opens it, doesn't have console, never HAD console, too busy jacking off in target internet forum about how cool games were "back then", doesn't know the first thing about the game mechanics or how to play, edits every modern meme into old pics of game, 99% of threads revolve around "remember this joke" or "remember this screen" without knowing what the fuck else was going on

accuracy faggot
>anti-emulator loser, can't enjoy anything, looks for one pixel difference and drops the whole game, buys super duper octo core to support shit software to emulate 80s consumer hardware, "accurate" 3D game emulation would require a supercomputer, only plays obscure jap games that don't work on emulators so he can complain and aspire to be a hardwarefag

emulator users
>downloads rom, plays it, plays it on phone, plays it on laptop, plays it on widescreen res, uses modern controller, save states to get past bullshit luck/random parts of game or to have a save for old/nes games, actually finishes game

Pretty much this.

I was raised on thrift stores. My mom had a complete shopping addiction and would take us to the local Salvation Army all the time to feed the addiction (way cheaper than retail).

It used to be really common to find 2600, NES, SNES and Genesis games for under $1 and the respective consoles for $5-$10 complete. I had a great retro collection before the nostalgia really hooked this generation. Sold it all over the past few years for around $20 on the dollar spent. Felt pretty good.

I found this beauty last week. It's a Northern Telcom DisplayPhone. Basically a telephone and little CRT monitor dumb terminal.

I work with RS232 a lot so a dumb terminal is pretty sexy on it's own, but I might try swapping the monitor circuit board with one from an old mini CRT TV so it can take composite video then use an RPI to make a skype phone. These things were used as video phones in a lot of 80s scifi movies.

Nice

What are some good towns, countries with good thriftstores? in mexico these are inexistent, been in a few in texas and everything were more expensive than in a Ross, an ex told me that Hungary had a good thiftstres but i neve got the chance to attend one