/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that is required to make a fine watch.

Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=7uxBS5QQlrU
youtube.com/watch?v=EXUFNzs3Qow
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Oh please can we let the watch threads die. They are pitiful.

*used good condition panerai, low starting bid $15000usd but it now

So last thread died in the fucking ass.
I like the look of the alpinist, i also like climbing and hiking.
What automatic watches are similar in style and features to this?
Surely the swiss make hiking watches.
What kinds of automatic watches are good for hiking/climbing and snowy conditions?

Not really worried about price, if it's similar to the alpinist then great, if it's more expensive that's OK too.
Just want to see what options are out there.

no

archie goes nuclear; neckbeard in f91w chuckles
more at 11

>use same movement as a $300 watch
>but but muh top tier eta
Sinn is shit bro.

10/10 beautiful patina

watchmakeranon you lurkin?

i know you dont take watches anymore, but do you happen to know anyone with experience on vintage (all American) Hamilton's?

im having real trouble searching for someone and any help would be appreciated.

any other anons with helpful info too.

What's that one watch that everyone basically has?

The one that's kinda old but usually gets the job done.

a vulcain cricket is the first thing that comes to mind

It's definitely not a cheap option but there is always RGM. They even modify old Hamilton pocket watch movements for one of their models.

There really is nothing like the Seiko Alpenis. Swiss/German alternatives are usually too sporty (like pic related) or austere (like the Rolex Explorer). The closest is Seiko's own SARG series, and that other SARB that's basically a white Alpinist. If I had to have one

Hey that's nice.
What's the 4th hand for?

I imagine it's probably a second time zone, kind of like a GMT, except that one appears to be 12-hour based, while most GMTs I've seen are 24-hour based.

it has an alarm function that sounds like a cricket when going off.

What he said.
youtube.com/watch?v=7uxBS5QQlrU

Oh that's really cool.
I did want a bellmatic, kill two in one with that

People who like expensive watches are sex tourist and pedos.

youtube.com/watch?v=EXUFNzs3Qow

>Shit watch worn to space by German astronaut. Shit watches issued to GSG9.
>"Great value", not a Rolex replica, worn by contrarian millennials, shitposters, and TGV.
Shill harder. Everyone here that was neutral to Steinhart is now completely disgusted by its mere mention, thanks to you.

>TGV, Archie and Fedrico used to visit sex tourist sites in Thailand NANA Complex and Patpong(ladyboy central)
lol this is who you guys worship? Omega MANNNN ONNN TEHHH FUUUUUKKKIN MOON.

What does /wt/ think about entry level Rolex? It's right around Speedmaster price...

Get the speedy

Speedy Pro and Submariner is all you need in life my friend.

Speedie does more for the price

>Grown men, homeowners, husbands, and fathers getting this worked over chickenshit drama
Is this what watch collecting does to people? Maybe I should liquidate my collection and take up heroin instead.

In all honesty its their livelihood IDK what youtube pays them but it must mean something for them to fight over. Also TGV is a fucking sex tourists stalker lol.

>livelihood
With 12k average views per video for TGV, and much fewer for the other 2, I doubt it.

TGV and Federico have jobs, Archie I'm not so sure.

TGV sounds like a douche.

Based on some of Archie's video comments, he's being supported by his latest wife/ex-wife or something. He allegedly went on the Japan trip with her to visit the in-laws.

How the hell did he managed to land a rich Japanese waifu?

Not rich. Just gainfully employed. Check his LinkedIn, under "People also viewed". There's one obvious profile that's his wife/ex-wife (people mention her name in the video comments all the time).

You should buy an Explorer 1 instead because it's objectively the best Rolex.

Reminder that Ninegag still hasn't posted his 36000bph watch.

That's not the Sub no date senpai.

>objectively the best Rolex.
What a weird looking Milgauss you posted.

>covering the serial
Is this idiot that paranoid?

I never understood why people did that with watches and legal guns.

LITERALY WHAT

i dont even know what to say desu

i think its cause people could theoretically counterfeit papers n shit for reps

Man, reps just ruin the fun for everyone.

they really do senpai.

(stern look at the one user with the fake pelagos)

Yet you idiots still circlejerk to Steinshit or Squale.

Steinshitter is asleep, hopefully.

i dont desu

Nigger my OVM came in 2 days ago, and already I'm starting to get sick of your shilling myself.

Last thread you're there trying to recommend a $450 watch to someone willing to spend up to $250, just so you could spout misinformation en-mass. Seriously, dude, give it a break.

If someone is looking to spend $400-$500 on some Chinkshit sumo, then go right ahead and SUGGEST a different piece, don't go full autist and spam shit.

I think you might have posted the wrong sub there mate.

We circlejerk the OVM.

The rest of Steinharts range is just nigh shameless copies.

>Do you honestly think a 90+ year old retired air force pilot is capable of designing a brand new innovative watch?
Frankly ... yes!

First of all, can you be less innovative than Omega the last 20 years?

As for the Aldrin he is an engineer too, with a earned a Doctor of Science degree in Astronautics from MIT. That is good enough for me.

>implying they won't just just bribe a congressman to make it happen.
A trip to Mars? I am fine with this.

Only 20 years. ...
But i agree with the rest

Link?

Those are genuinely fake, at least he's not lying about it, so he's technically selling knockoff watches in a legal way, I guess there's a market for everything huh.

I want to own the largest collection of genuine fakes in the world :(

why not save money and buy genuine fake fakes?

Time to step up your game, those two other people who actually spend the slightest effort on their picture.

Don't you mean fake genuine fakes?

no, it would be highly dishonest to buy a fake version of a genuine fake watch, so I am instead advocating that he buy genuine versions of fake versions of fake watches

Im a firm believer that he actually posts less offensive, less acute posts without his tripcode. And then maybe one or two posts under the tripcode, because he's a fucking /wt/ freak and addict

More like you weren't paying attention when he did.

>The rest of Steinharts range is just nigh shameless copies.

So is the OVM m9.

Watch noob here Looking for a dress watch under $200. Any recommendations?

Look at orient watches, leather strap black dial, they can be had for about $100

He means Bambino btw

I recommend either an Orient Symphony or Orient Bambino. They're slightly large compared to traditional dress watches but I think they are good enough to work in most situations.

thinking of buying a g-shock thoughts ?

Buy a used Seiko 4s15 alpinist if you can find one in good condition.

The 4s15 is one of the greatest series production automatic movements of all time (it's an updated 52xx).

Yes.

Buy a 5610 and have a watch which will be accurate to +0.00s/d with auto DST, a perpetual calendar, chronograph, world time, alarm and countdown timer for the next 10-25+ years.

Pretty close to an ideal fire and forget timekeeping solution.

Good to know ill keep an eye out.
I'm not going to rush in to buy something and money is not an issue if the watch is worth the value ill buy it.
I think though after about $700ish i will get diminishing returns.
Does anyone know if the compass in the alpinist is free floating?
I think that the extra crown is for turning the compass ?

What does /wt/ think about raketas?

It's a homage as a homage is meant to be. A recreation of a rare watch.

Most of Steinhart's 'homages' are just Submariner copies.

While the distinction is slight, it is there.

They re ok,dont overpay.
I saw your model on a local craigslist and for a beat up glass scratched to shit he was asking $30.
They are not worth that much so be reasonable when spending.

This.

Who are those two other people?

new watch coming early today. aw yiss. tfw out for delivery.

Sup /wt/,
Im looking for a watch in the 800-900 euro pricerange. Its for my 21st birthday so I want something that's classical and which I will still be able to wear in ~20 years.

Was looking at Hamiltons today (pic related) and at some frederique constant. What would you guys recommend? Also, should I buy at a jeweller or some other place? Very inexperienced with buying watches!

How about something around $300 to $400?

lmao

That's a pretty cool looking watch in that pic. I like skeletons and exposed design variants. A lot of people here don't.

Buy what you like, though. I've given up on focusing on name brands... it is more of a 'guideline' for selecting a watch than anything else. "How likely is this thing going to stop working on me?" is the only thing the brand tells me.

what's the story behind the piece in OP's pic?

Thanks for the advice, I completely agree. However I do want something swiss made to atleast get a lasting quality.
Im not looking for brands perse but I would love some pointers if you could give some. Perhaps you have some personal favorites?

Thanks!

My daily - will never look dated, retains its value and looks awesome.

You should start by wearing your watch on the correct wrist.

;) Thanks. I wear a family weapon ring on my lefthand and I think watches look bad next to it. (Its a gold signet ring)

>mason cuff links

Thoughts?

gee idk,
guess someone lost their watch at sea and found it back after a month

What's so funny?

looks like a nepperd

even tho it probably isnt
calendar week is p unique though, escpecially considering they left a month indication for it.

FC has good quality but wont retain its value very well, so get it used.

> (You)
>>mason cuff links

>mason literature

Why does it look fake? And yeah, I dig the day/month indicator

the pic makes it look like a cheap chink watch

you mean you dig the day/date/week indicator btw (it doesnt have a month)

>I think that the extra crown is for turning the compass ?
Yeah, it is.

Lmao

Another reason to buy a quartz watch. Auto/Mech fags are mentally ill degenerates who can't be trusted.

>tfw you just prefer Tudor over Rolex for some reason but people will always think that you just couldn't afford a Rolex

more like,
Who massdrop here

But that's not the Favre Leuba Sea Raider he mentioned.

Bretty gud, they were supposed to be the Soviet, more modest equivalent of luxury watches. The 2609.HA is pretty reliable too, but from a watchmaker standpoint it's a pain to service due to one or two design quirks.

Shame they didn't work on the current Raketa Avtomat movement a little more, I don't think any knowledgeable watchfag would pay 1000€ for a modern "luxury" watch ticking only at 18000bph.

They should have used a better font for the Roman numerals imo.