PRAISED BE THE ELDER GODS!

>230
fug :DDD

>implying the Kindle 3 isn't the best ereader ever made
lmao

>$230 for 7.8"
>$50 for 6"

Dead on arrival.

It's touch screen. With small flush bezels.

Manlets, when will they learn?

poorfag
it's the common price for an ~8" e-reader
check out the pocketbook inkpad

Over the pond, you can't get a decent e-reader for less than 130-ish pounds

>thinking this is too expensive
An onyx 9.7" ereader goes for 400 and I was considering it.

13" e-readers when?

There's the Sony stylus one, but it's $600 and only opens PDF.

I'm grabbing one next month, its perfect for taking notes in meetings and dumping the pdf's onto a SMB share.

will glo hd drop in price?

As can be seen with the similarly-sized InkPad, this screen size is (kinda) large enough to read a pdf in portrait.

youtube.com/watch?v=2oIA0WhHfs0

except the Aura ONE is much lighter than that device and the size bezels are much smaller.

my H2O will be going to eBay pretty soon.

guess I'm converting all my zips to pdf then

Finally someone fucking did it

>7.8-inch 1872 x 1404 E Ink display
OH MY GOD THIS IS WHAT I'VE ALWAYS WANTED

I bought a kindle 5 years ago and was blown away with the screen quality.

Why haven't someone made a screen with this technology?
Like they make 15" usb screens, you can plug in your laptop.
It could even be wireless, as speed is irrelevant when it comes to these types of displays.

I want to watch a document, a full page pdf.
Having a dedicated screen for this is not a bad idea.
I write and read a lot of reports, and when I write them, I usually have the pdf open on one screen and the editor on the other.
The pdf reader automatically updates when I rebuild the pdf, so I never have to interact with the pdf reader unless I want to change pages.

Can this already be done with the current technology?

indiegogo.com/projects/paperlike-world-s-first-e-ink-monitor-13-3#/

What is the best textbook tablet reader?
4:3 aspect ratio please.

>no microSD
And I was looking forward to it.

I have an H20 with a couple of hundred books on and still plenty of space, and the 8 inch model has double the storage. A lot of users will be fine with the onboard memory, you could still be one of them.

I've stopped using my e-reader. The formatting is just so shit on them. Unreadable desu

I got an H2O and while it's great for books, I originally bought it for mangos and it's not as big as I thought.

Can I install gentoo on it?

10 inches are a requirement for manga, as well as at least 16GB of storage

6 inch ought to be enough for everyone. why

Install gentoo

Optimal line length is something like 60 characters, impossible to obtain on 6" with a reasonable font size even in landscape mode.
Books are sized how they are for a reason.

>Books are sized how they are for a reason.
yeah, 6 inch for a reason.

if it's like the glo hd, you can take the back off and replace the "onboard memory" which is really just an mSD in a hidden slot.

most people (including me) will probably want this for PDF reading because the resolution, aspect ratio, and having an e-ink display paired with a decent processor is pretty good for reading PDFs.

can't do it if the bootloader is locked

now put a ruler across it

Not about the size but price difference

Why do you think Kindle 6" is the most popular reader, the price difference is considerable, and the price difference is big enough to make one wonder why shouldn't they buy an iPad instead which you can get for $200 for a older mini version which can do way more than a ereader does.

kinky

Has an internal microSD slot.
Which 'is' its internal memory but still.

Why arent any of the big ones making a color e-ink reader?

What "Big ones"?
Amazon did ship one.

That's funny, because Amazon's been trying to sell $200 and $300 6" Kindles themselves in the last few years. At least Kobo's high-end models are bigger and waterproof.

The Kobo Aura One isn't even 7.8". The fuckers just rounded it up to 7.8". It's actually 7.77" which means the device in the video is 0.23" larger. 7.77" isn't large enough for comfortable PDF reading.

I've been wanting a large e-ink screen that wasn't einkk pearl low res dogshit with shitty frontlighting for the longest time.

Looks great.

The smallest shitty mass market paperbacks are 6.7"x4" ('pocketbook' size, the kind of shitty quality books you can get at kiosks). Regular paperbacks are anywhere from 7.81"x5.06" to 8.2"x5".

6" ereaders are 4.8"x3.6". That's like 4.3"x3" of text once you add margins (kindles for example have minimum top and bottom margins of ~0.25", there's no way to go lower than that). That's significantly smaller than even the smallest mass market paperbacks, let alone regular trade paperbacks.

Even the new Kobo Aura One 7.8" is usually a bit smaller than even the smallest trade paperbacks (7.81"x5.06") if you consider the margins. This is almost the perfect screen size in my opinion with 8" being the perfect screen size for reading books the way they're meant to be read.

What do you need that much of e-ink screen for?
If you're gonna read comics, why not do it on a tablet, it's not like there's a lot of actual reading involved.

i know. i was just breaking that guy's balls.

I'll get this if I can install KOreader on it

You can, all Kobo devices runs pretty much the same firmware. You can bet your ass it'll be easy as fuck to install KOReader, CoolReader or any other reader on it.

You measured perpendicularly and are now backpedaling like mad, don't think you're fooling anyone.

To more closely emulate reading an actual book. Book pages are much bigger than 6" screens and fit a lot more text.
>inb4 muh portability
I read mostly at home and besides, regular paperbacks are usually quite large (~8"x6") which is ever larger than the Kobo Aura One. If you can carry those outside then you can carry a larger screen device, as well.

Why are people so opposed to large e-ink screens? Do you really enjoy reading on a smartphone size display like some manlet cuck and can't fit a regular size book in your little purse, faggots? What a joke. All I see on forums is fags complaining about the size. Is it mostly women or what? I just don't get it.

A 6.8 inch reader in landscape mode fits more (horizontally) than a typical paperback page. Sure, you only get half a page at a time, but you read lines, not pages. And page turns in ereaders have nothing to do with turning actual paper pages, so the original feel argument doesn't apply here.

Is there a color e ink? Has that been made yet?

I'll wait until Black Friday just to make sure it plays well Linux.

>landscape mode
Kill yourself.

Get a larger purse, faggot.

Color "e-ink" exists, but it's shit right now. You're going have to wait at least a couple of years for a quality color e-ink device to hit the market. Just read your weeb shit on an iPad mini or something.

>mfw I can read for hours on a typical IPS tablet screen
>tfw reading on my Zenpad and former Nexus 7 for hours, flipping into emulation and some text editing when bored

I used to read pirated books at 2AM on the iPod Touch's generation one screen.

Kill me.

Manga is black-and-white though. Only the cover and special pages are in colors.

I want color e-ink displays on phones and monitors. That will be in another 15-20 years though.

are there numbers on the sales of these things? would be interesting to see how many of the higher end models they sell. I have been wanting to buy a ereader lately and when I checked out amazons kindle readers the prices are so different and all the reviews mention its the same HW inside the different models. wtf why would you pay more?

Eh, it's basically like an 8" tablet, just in 4:3 instead of 16:10.

Battery life.

>no microsd card
>no portrait/landscape flip mode
meh

>no microsd card
It's a book reader. You read books on it. ~1mb books. If you have more than 8000 books, just put 8000 on your device and leave the rest on your PC or a usb stick. Do you really have to have everything on the device itself? Do you really read thousands of books at once?
>m-muh comics
It's a book reader.
>no portrait/landscape flip mode
There's definitely portrait mode, but I'm not sure if you can have two pages at once in portrait mode, but I don't see why you'd want that since the display is not big enough to comfortably display two pages at once.

>>no microsd card
kobo can upgrade their firmware to "no local mounting" and I'd be cucked for not using their store

Will the upgraded specs improve pdf viewing or is the screen technology still the bottleneck?

You said it best. I've never really considered buying an ebook, I'm borrowing a Kindle right now but it's too fuckin small.
I'd buy a bigger one if it's good.

>portrait/landscape flip mode
Depending on what you mean by that, I think it probably does have that.

But manga is the whole reason I wanted a bigger screen. I don't need a bigger screen for book reading.

is it worth upgrading from an aura?

how long before e-ink displays match the smoothness and refresh rate of lcd?

approximately unfunth years

this anyone?

>THERE IS
>NO
>O
>READER ON THE MARKET WITH AN 8.5x11" SCREEN
shiggy, have ereaders improved AT ALL in the past ten years??!

>nobody made the dick joke
children

nigga what the hell

it should cost 150 at most

DOA

voyage costs same

>No expandable storage for manga
Into the trash it goes kobo aura HD is still the best as far as i'm concerned.

>didn't read the thread

They agree with me then.

This thing is a fucking revelation. The big missing feature I've wanted in my eink readers (currently have a Kobo Glo HD) is the ability to change the front-light colour for night reading. For night-time I still end up using a red headlamp often so as to preserve my night vision / help relax.

Only thing I'm not convinced of is the size. I'd love to see these features (waterproof + light colour shifting) in a 6".