VERACRYPT UEFI SYSTEM ENCRYPTION

UPDATE August 17th 2016 : VeraCrypt 1.18 has been released. It brings EFI system encryption for Windows (a world first in open source community) and it solves a TrueCrypt vulnerability that allows attacker to detect the presence of hidden volume. This release also brings many enhancements and fixes. Please check the release notes for the complete list of changes. Download for Windows is here.

>It brings EFI system encryption for Windows (a world first in open source community)

veracrypt.codeplex.com/

post yfw when you're finally ditching ButtLocker

Other urls found in this thread:

ostif.org/we-have-come-to-an-agreement-to-get-veracrypt-audited/
grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Also veracrypt is getting audited
ostif.org/we-have-come-to-an-agreement-to-get-veracrypt-audited/

Does it support TPM modules?

> you're finally ditching ButtLocker

But i'm not dicthing BitLocker?

VeraCrypt is compromised, lol.

Even the authors know they are.

3rd parties will know about vulns from the audit before even the VeraCrypt team does.

Fuck i wish people thoughtfor themselves.

>Move build system to Visual C++ 2010 for better stability.

>VeraCrypt is compromised
Evidence?

never heard of any evidence, but the possibility alone makes me wary. Depending on what you need encrypted, you might not want to take the risk. At least I don't

$10 Xbox points has been deposited to your Xbox Live Gold Account.

>Buttlocker isn't compromised.
Lmao, thank you for (((Correcting the Record)))

>HOSTING CODE ON MICROSOFT PLATFORM
ITS LIKE ASKING YOU WANT TO BE BACKDOORED IN A HEARTBEAT

>Depending on what you need encrypted, you might not want to take the risk. At least I don't
if your data is that sensitive, why would you be putting it on a windows machine?

It's entirely possible that bitlocker is compromised too. There's just no evidence for it.

I think that's a hardware level feature that works if your system has it enabled.

>I'm saying this completely unfounded thing so you have to consider it as an option
fuck off trump
>There's just no evidence for it.
Windows literally uploads your encryption key to the cloud.

Doesn't matter because Windows is closed source.

I've never trusted any Truecrypt clones since that shitfest happened.

lolno, use TrueCrypt
grc.com/misc/truecrypt/truecrypt.htm

use veracrypt you paranoid fuck

so what would be an advantage over truecrypt? why would I need to switch?

Is there any reason to encrypt a personal computer for most people at home? Mobile devices a big maybe but you really shouldn't be saving anything on them anyways.

Well laptops certainly, but you might count those under mobile devices.

For a desktop it boils down to one of two things. Either a.) you're still concerned about theft, despite the thing being in your home, or b.) you want to prevent other people that live with you or visit from being able to snoop on the data.

b.) isn't ironclad, it's vulnerable to "evil maid" attacks, hardware keyloggers and the like. But it will stop most non-technical people from having a snowball's chance in hell at reading your drives, and will stymie a lot of moderately technical people too, since even if you boot a Linux CD or put the hard drive in another computer, you can't read it without the password.

of course if someone living with you is willing to put a hardware keylogger in your machine to snatch your decryption password, really your first priority should be posting a >tfw yandere gf thread.

haha, lolno. But I appreciate your attempts, NSA agent #262

>you really shouldn't be saving anything on them anyways.
people use them as their only computer.
I really wish people were more up in arms about enforcing data control on their extensions of themselves.

Agreed. I do think much of the battle is personal and having a good routine and remaining aware. People can catch most fraud or the like quickly by keeping track of expenses. Mundane things like wiggling a card terminal checking for skimmers etc.

Not even that, I just wish management of data and services on phones was more verifiable. If my phone could run full-blown linux with android JVM support and sometihng like systemd for service management, I would be so happy. Killing google play just for it to pop right back up is frustrating.

Between that and a microUSB key, fingerprint scanner, iris scanner, bluetooth device auth, and PIN, a phone I can feel secure about would be attainable.

Yes there is. With Windows AU 1607, bitlocker gets a major update. Just check out online why they needed to rework it. It has plenty wulnerabilities.

Then you don't get to claim it's compromised, your fucktard. Don't make bullshit claims you can't back up.

Truecrypt can't do EFI...that's the main reason I stopped using it and had to switch to bitlocker for win8 partition...
If I start seeing reviews confirming that it works for Win8 in EFI mode, butlocker is going out.

Then take a look at Jolla.
Does exactly what you describe.

>fuck of Hillary*
FTFY CTR

it also gives you an excuse if you're raided: i lost my keys and forgot my password

if you're raided they already have something on you and you've already fucked up really badly.

How badly will veracrypt slow game performance if you encrypt your boot SSD but not the HDD where your games are stored? This question is the only thing holding me back desu.

Everything since 2010 or so has AES-NI which means that encryption has effectively no real-world speed impact. I think Nehalem was the last chip that didn't have it.

I encrypted everything, game folders included.
Only downside is you need a buttload of ram.
Speed isn't affected on a first gen i7, so now shouldn't be a problem.

Okay I have 64GB of ram (it was on sale when I built my PC). Should this be enough? Or are you talking a ridiculous, impossible amount of ram?

meant to reply to

>EFI
literally why would anyone use that botnet crap?

This, and they also already planted CP around your house

I have 18. You are way over the minimum pal.

>Only downside is you need a buttload of ram.

You really don't.

>Doesn't matter because Windows is closed source.
There is a Linux version of Veracrypt

>EFI
>BitLocker
>Windows 8
epic meme

>encrypting your ssd with veracrypt

isnt this supposed to be bad practice? Aren't you supposed to use your ssd's native encryption by just adding a key?

Windows 8 and even 10 support mbr boot just fine, there isn't a real reason to use gpt and efi at all.