An IBM spokesman talked about the internet of things at my uni today

An IBM spokesman talked about the internet of things at my uni today.

Is this meme really going to take off?

Other urls found in this thread:

boingboing.net/2016/08/17/paypal-halted-a-transaction-be.html
gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/c14.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSPARC
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I hope not. I see more downsides than upsides.

Yes, advertisers are running out of ways to abuse your privacy and behavior on phones, so they need to shift things a bit.

semen demon

>not getting excited for the cyberpunk future we are barrelling into

>going to take off

You're about 6 years late to the party, kiddo.

Cyberpunk worlds tend to be dystopian...

yes, and botnet will be forced

forced meme is forced

y this pic what is this?

Of course it is. What better way to intrude into people's lives and track everything that they do so that they can receive more targeted advertising and facebook page suggestions?

it's not a meme, get in while it's hot, there is a small window right now to get into this industry

web 2.0 has to happen first

More like @theinternetofshit

/thread

Nest and all that bullshit, it's coming

really it's already here if you tinker, my boss can open his garage door from work on his phone and adjust his thermostat and fuck with his car

this

It's not a meme

Commodity products are increasingly shipping with cheap micro controllers. Think TV's, refrigerators, appliances. The next things are small gadgets like chargers, thermostats, hot water heaters and thermostats. Even things that don't necessarily benefit from them like pens, bikes, etc. are going to have them

These micro controllers are increasingly either providing the same performance for cheaper or maintaining price while becoming more powerful

If these devices were networked we truly will have an IoT. It may be a meme like "the cloud" was 5 years ago but think about it: We have dropbox, AWS, SalesForce, etc. all worth billions of dollars each now.

>An IBM spokesman talked about the internet of things at my uni today.

As soon as they uttered that phase, I would have stood up and walked out.

i should add that this applies to jobseekers at the moment, if you're still studying you better finish soon to get in

>It's not a meme

Then in some court case, your pencil's accelerometer's data is subpoenaed from "the cloud" and the government deduces your encryption password because you wrote it down on some piece of paper 8 months ago.

The future is so bright, I have to wear shades...

I'm not saying it's a good future. I'm just saying it is the future

And so can the government and so can foreign governments and so can some random 14 year old Russian.

Soon every companies business strategy will be to sell user data to advertisers since they all think one industry can support every other.

Why do they think Advertising is a bottomless well of money?

>Commodity products are increasingly shipping with cheap micro controllers
I don't see this happening, and don't talk about TVs, the smart TV retardation meme has been around for a decade or so.

"Things are increasingly X and Y" you sound just like these buzzword parroting professionals who think they know how the future will be.

let me guess you store files on a hdd and exclusively use java php and python

Yea, put your data on someone else's server. That's fucking great.

What greater functionality do TV's and fridges have with that? I can connect my laptop via HDMI if I want Netflix. Fridges are gonna be retarded. Telling you your food is bad when it may actually be okay. Yea let's all forget how to use our noses and completely close ourselves off from harmless bacteria so when something real hits, our immune systems will be so weak we'll keel over and die.

>And so can the government and so can foreign governments and so can some random 14 year old Russian.

well we already do our banking on here and have noods of our gfs, opening the garage door is not so much further

In the future everything will be the internet, fuck its going to be a an insane cyberpunk dystopia, everyone work on their hacking skills so you can hack the planet....
look at the robots boston dynamics makes, 3d printers will warp the economy.
SHITS GOING TO CHANGE SON

>Yea, put your data on someone else's server. That's fucking great.

you don't bank or use gmail or send email to other people?

>What greater functionality do TV's and fridges have with that?

your fridge could order more filters for itself and when it breaks it could send diagnostics to the tech to help you decide if it's worth fixing, it could also let you know if it's getting low on gas or a bearing is going bad so you could fix it before it breaks

>boston dyanmics
>self driving cars
>3d printers
>VR
>government is working on iron man armor and exoskeletons for soldiers
>holograms
>electric billboards
>electronic ciggerrates
>corporations own the government more than the people
>hackers, ed snowden, wikileaks, weev, lizard squad, all those fuckers, reguraly trolling and doing battle with governments and corporations
>china is rising, soon east asian culture

The cyber punk writers were profits

If it will have open source hardware, software, good data encryption and local storage, then "botnet of things" is not a bad idea, more like startrek-type idealistic tecnocrat future, rather than proprietary cyberpunk dystopia.

>bank
Bitcoin wallet
>email
my own servur
>your fridge could order more filters for itself
for only $99,99 a month!
>it could send diagnostics to the tech to help you decide if it's worth fixing
>2016
>fixing electroncs
you don't even planned obsolescence yet nigga?

>If it will have open source hardware, software, good data encryption and local storage, then "botnet of things" is not a bad idea, more like startrek-type idealistic tecnocrat future, rather than proprietary cyberpunk dystopia.

boingboing.net/2016/08/17/paypal-halted-a-transaction-be.html

and everyone you email uses their own server too...

the shit is coming, stay mad

G P G

P

G

god I hope not.
IoT is how William Gibson cyberpunk dystopia happens.

> russian and chinese cybergangs seeing who can backdoor my xbox4320 first so they can blackmail me
> evil corporate employer requires access to smart power meter and refrigerator to make sure I'm not playing hooky or eating things not covered in my medical insurance
> increasingly ineffectual gov't outlawing strong encryption on kitchen appliance

What the hell happened to those bricks?

gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/c14.html
armor up

There is no such thing. It's a meme made up with by clueless management (think the pointy haired moron in Dilbert).

Btw: OP's picture is underage, just saying

Love knows no age user.

For the sake of IBM it better, I fear they don't have much more than memes at this point.

>underage
For who? Did you forget that there are non-americans here as well?

Also, she is not nude, so I don't see why that would be a problem.

Dayum! What a big titty slut!

>IBM
>open source
top heh

>what is Power8

Sun did it first 10 years ago en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenSPARC

it's going to get rammed down our throats willingly our unwillingly like smart tvs

Probability is high. Especially once addressing becomes abundant -- IPv6.

Be nice if we could get open hardware by then though -- you know so we can patch our own internet facing thermostats, toilets, and door locks.

>are people going to shove microprocessors into everything possible and hook them up to the internet to market more meme features, get more of your personal data, etc. all while making these devices cater to the idea of planned obsolescence by depreciating them quickly
yes, this is obviously a nice thing for manufacturers to have
why deploy analog variants when you can give out "smart" appliances and other products for a few dollars more that can phone home data for your enterprise and make you money?

this is going to be a sec nightmare though

>Be nice if we could get open hardware by then though
this although I wouldn't get my hopes up on having free software and hardware variants on all these exotic IoT things

I'm just hoping to get a general completely free hardware device. We're getting closer although I don't think we will be seeing anything on X86

J-core
RISC-V

>Your toaster will know more about you than your significant other in 2043

you should read The Neuromancer